Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Return To Ringworld (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=5196)

Sebatianos 25-05-2005 07:10 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Guest 26-05-2005 02:17 AM

i would've given this a 5 too..

except for the part where you had to walk like twenty screens with the background just repeating.. :yawn:

combined with the fact that the game has no sound at all :wall: , and the more annoying thing that the character walks SOOOO SLOOOOWWWWWW!!! :ranting: i played mp3s while playing and the "walk" (id rather call it crawl) took me 3 songs already.. arrghh...

hope it gets better.

Sebatianos 26-05-2005 10:02 AM

Just left-click when the character starts speaking (you can skip through dialogues that way).
The fact that this version lecks sound is not the fault of the game (the game has solid music and solid sounds) that is why I didn't deduct any points for that. If you're able to get your hands on a full version (including sound) you'll see what I mean. I had it years ago, but the CD got demaged and I threw it away. The only version I have now is this one (without any sounds).

Abi79 26-05-2005 06:54 PM

When I try to save the game, it says something about "Tsage.cfg". Does somebody know how to fix this problem ? :(

samtam90 26-05-2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Abi79@May 26 2005, 06:54 PM
When I try to save the game, it says something about "Tsage.cfg". Does somebody know how to fix this problem ? :(
What does it say?

Abi79 26-05-2005 07:16 PM

I've wrote what it says in the "Ringworld Revenge of the Patriarch" forum.

Sebatianos 26-05-2005 07:50 PM

Did you change the directory name to the full name of the game (renamed the direcotry?)

Abi79 26-05-2005 07:54 PM

Yes, but I still can't save.

Sixstringseraph 27-05-2005 06:41 AM

im back! (im the one who put up the 1st ranting post):D i just finished the game, and i have to say it really is a good one. although the ending really hung me out (i want to at least know what happened, or is there a third one?)

only one part of this game really tried my patience. and by this i am referring to the slow walking characters. It's hard enough to go like ten screens to a place and then another ten screens to the other, only to find you're lacking something and go on to search the hundred screens AGAIN. a game speed adjustment option (a la Sierra games) could've been really nice.

but otherwise, the game is excellent, and it is one of the few games i finished without consulting a walkthrough.. :D It's too bad the sound didn't make it to this version, some good music would've really helped in those long, long, long walks...

*** edited by strobe
no esa-offending expressions!!

Guest 02-06-2005 12:38 PM

ANyone else has sound problems with this game? I have a tikking noise when playing.
Other then that Music and Sound effects are working fine

Sebatianos 02-06-2005 08:58 PM

They are working fine? How did you get them working???

Guest 02-06-2005 10:47 PM

I'm using windows XP home editon and you start the game with vdm sound.
After that press esc go to options and select sound blaster pro /16 (your choice) for both music and sounds that should do the trick. Tell me if it worked with you

Sebatianos 03-06-2005 01:43 PM

:ok: :kosta:
You're right! It works - and to think I tried so many other ways, but not the most obvious one :wall: :wall: :wall:

BTW - if you run the game in DOSBox that crackeling sound is gone (the game works just fine then).

ro4sho 04-06-2005 11:15 PM

I will try that thanks man i just finished the first one ! beginning on the second one!

cassidt 10-06-2005 05:00 AM

you can eliminate the clicking on vdms by maxing all of the settings on the vdms's shortcut

Default User 11-06-2005 06:40 PM

I found this game very boring. First you have to walk on a 40x30 rooms sized pad to find items scattered there, then you need to walk tens of screens in one direction to find an vehicle, then I nearly got a eppileptic seizure watching the screen for minutes in the mag-lev, then you have to walk tens of screens through ice mountains and the characters move fast like turtles all the time. Too bad I didn't quit the game earlier. The artwork in the game is fine, but the game-play is not very entertaining.

Sebatianos 11-06-2005 08:23 PM

You're right.
This game certainly isn't as entertaining as a satirical book of Mark Twain, or as an evening spent at the opera (if possible Puccinni's, although Verdi, Bizet, Mozart,... would do just fine).

But on the other hand it sure beats the crap they serve you in those brain-dameging first-person shooting-everything-that-moves games we all simply love to hate.

Thanks for the opinion!

It's always nice to hear from people who prefer the finer things in life, but as games go - this one has quite some quality.

Default User 12-06-2005 12:24 PM

But imagine the game without all the stupid walking around in boring screens. Solving the puzzles would have been done in little time and the game would be over - just like in it's predecessor, which had some simple puzzles and I finished it in less than a day. In the sequel the developers plugged in the boring walking around parts to prolong the game. It just takes longer to solve the game without adding fun to it.

Christian IV 13-06-2005 01:44 PM

I have hesitated to try the ringworld games, as the books
started out well, but degenerated into a weird sort of
dark soap opera of personal relations in space with
strange species, turning into absolute drivel. A great concept
that degnerated strangely, though Niven was quite good in
his younger days.

I agree with Sebatianos, the Professor, re Mozart, in 2006 they will perform all of his operatic oeuvre, including an opening performance not to be missed: The President of Austria will officially open Mozart Year 2006 on January 27. The stars of the opening of Mozart Year in Salzburg will be Nikolaus Harnoncourt and Riccardo Muti, who will conduct the Vienna Philharmonic in the Mozarteum and the Large Festival Hall. In Vienna, Plácido Domingo and star violinist Julian Rachlin are sure to sell out the first performance at the Theater an der Wien, which will serve as a new Mozart opera house, when they appear on January 8. All 22 Mozart operas will be performed during the Salzburg Festival, and in Vienna Seiji Ozawa, Music Director of the Vienna State Opera, will conduct Mozart operas.

Other highlights of the calendar of events for the Mozart Year include appearances by Anne-Sophie Mutter, Neil Shicoff, Thomas Hampson, Bertrand de Billy, Simon Keenlyside, Thomas Quasthoff, András Schiff, Heinrich Schiff, Claudio Abbado, Daniel Barenboim, Angelika Kirchschlager, Beni Schmid and Sir Simon Rattle
Re Twain, he gave us a lot to choose from, some of the more obscure
works are indeed quite intriguing:
The Innocents Abroad 1869
Curious Republic of Gondour 1870 :ok:
A Burlesque Autobiography 1871
Roughing It 1872
The Gilded Age 1873
Sketches New and Old 1875
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer 1876
Carnival of Crime in CT 1877
A Tramp Abroad 1880
1601 1880
The Prince and the Pauper 1881 :ok: :ok:
The Stolen White Elephant 1882
Life on the Mississippi 1883 :ok: :ok: :ok:
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 1885
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court 1889 :ok: :ok:
The American Claimant 1892
Tom Sawyer Abroad 1894
The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson 1894
Tom Sawyer, Detective 1896 :not_ok:
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc Vol 1 1896
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc Vol 2 1896
How to Tell a Story and Others 1897
Following the Equator 1897
The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg and other Stories 1900 :kosta:
A Double Barrelled Detective 1902
Extracts from Adam's Diary 1904
A Dog's Tale 1904
The $30,000 Bequest 1906
What is Man? and Other Essays of Mark Twain 1906 :cheers:
Mark Twain's Speeches 1906
Christian Science 1907
A Horse's Tale 1907
Is Shakespeare Dead? 1909
Extract from Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven l909
The Mysterious Stranger 1916 uncompleted :cheers:
Alonzo Fitz and Other Stories
Essays on Paul Bourget
Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences :tease: (i LIKE JFCooper!)
Goldsmith's Friend Abroad Again
In Defense of Harriet Shelley
On the Decay of the Art of Lying
Some Rambling Notes of an Idle Excursion
The Boys Life of Mark Twain
Those Extraordinary Twins

But for now, we have these remarkable games, and I will take a look at ringworld
to see how it is....i dont mind walking around in a "game world" if it is interesting....
Myst involves a lot of moving around, but the journey can be itself a destination, no?

cheers
:cheers:

Guest 06-01-2006 03:09 PM

guys i has this game on a cd . it was the best back then. i found on the internet and i was very happy but playing the game without speech is really boring. anyone can help ????

operato 15-06-2006 03:03 AM

Unfortunately the sound file is about 200 megs and i've never seen it anywhere online *ahem*. There is a copy going around ebay for $25 BIN but that's a bit steep.

This game really does need the speech however. I spent hours just playing that mini card game.

Ermuli 29-07-2007 04:09 PM

Return to Ringworld ISO (BIN/CUE with ECM) is 85 Mb. Approved for The ISO Cellar?

_r.u.s.s. 29-07-2007 04:41 PM

it is since its on the site. but hm, other games available for download have also about 80 mb, maybe it would be also ok to update the iso on abandonia ftp?

Michiel313 29-07-2007 04:45 PM

I don't like the game.. i stuck on every simpel thing

_r.u.s.s. 29-07-2007 05:17 PM

some people stuck.. some dont :P

punkassbitch 26-10-2009 12:40 AM

I found The Cd with full sound on The House Of Games Site

arete 26-10-2009 05:42 AM

Or just get it in our ISO cellar. :)

punkassbitch 31-10-2009 05:01 AM

I went to your Iso celler. You guys make it too complicated to download. I may sound like a twat but I can go to other sites and get the whole iso without having to download files that have to be "merged" with a third party software. What a load of crap

Saccade 31-10-2009 06:06 AM

Lol. But that is a good point...

Being able to handle larger archives, rather than splits, is something that may be required. Especially if newer abandonware starts to get like more recent games.

I haven't really found any good, reliable file host sites that are free, though.

The Fifth Horseman 31-10-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkassbitch (Post 386835)
I went to your Iso celler. You guys make it too complicated to download. I may sound like a twat but I can go to other sites and get the whole iso without having to download files that have to be "merged" with a third party software.

What do you mean? RAR is a standard compression format. You download the files, tell WinRAR (or what have you) to unpack them - and that's it.

The main reason this is done is to avoid things like you losing your connection after downloading 654 MB out of a 672 MB archive and having to redownload it from scratch again (public filesharing sites don't support resuming a download) or finding out that there was some error during transfer, the archive is corrupt and therefore unusable.

If someone uploaded an archive split with other means than just using RAR multi-part archiving, just tell us and we'll see what can be done to replace it.

punkassbitch 11-11-2009 05:38 PM

All Im saying Is Keep It Simple. They're Pepole who aren't 56k impaired and have computers that are in the 21st century and can handle broadband and other types of fast internet. Depending On The Site I can download a 500MG fISO file In Under An Hour And Not Loose the conection. Come And Join Us! Useres Of Fast Nad Modern Techonolgy. Not All People who Like old Games are cling to our past by having old outdated computers. :doh:

The Fifth Horseman 11-11-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkassbitch (Post 387798)
All I'm saying is keep it simple. There are people who aren't 56k impaired and have computers that are in the 21st century and can handle broadband and other types of fast internet. Depending on the site, I can download a 500MB fISO file in under an hour and not loose the connection. Come and join us! Useres of fast and modern techonolgy. Not all people who like old games are clinging to our past by having old, outdated computers. :doh:

There are also people living in countries where they're stuck on analog modems or have to use (shitty) wireless because telecomms companies want in the realm of $2000 just to connect them in the first place.
Don't consider the conditions you have in your country to be the same globally.

punkassbitch 17-11-2009 01:24 PM

Where I live it costs me $120US to get my telephione service and TV and internet! What is this bullshit about $2000!

Lulu_Jane 17-11-2009 01:28 PM

Did you even read the post above you?

Lulu_Jane 17-11-2009 01:33 PM

Sorry - for content:

I have no idea about Fifth's figure of $2000, but this graph might provide some insight in the whole "the world is not uniform," thing.

http://reflectionof.me/interesting-g...tes-internet-s

_r.u.s.s. 17-11-2009 02:06 PM

and the fact that some people have money to spend for their internet doesn't mean that the others have them too

and this is, after all, an abandonware website..

like HEY GUYZE LET'S MAKE ALL THE ROADS IN THE WORLD FOR FAST CARZ CUZ, U NOE, LIEK EVERYONE HAZ A FAST CAR, NO? YEEEH AMERICA, COCA COLA, HABBURGARZ, FAT PEOPLEZ, FAZT CARZ, GOOD INTERNETZ AND STUPID PRESIDENTS

sorry i got myself carried away

in other words, no

The Fifth Horseman 17-11-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkassbitch (Post 388604)
Where I live it costs me $120US to get my telephione service and TV and internet! What is this bullshit about $2000!

This is how much cash Polish Telecomms wanted from me just for connecting a bloody phone line and I mean the most basic sort. Then about $250 for their modem. Then about $125 monthly for a connection rated at maybe 2 mbps tops.

Needless to say, I said "fuck that" and got wireless instead. :p

gnorgplik 24-08-2019 07:02 AM

I am running this on WinXP Pro 32 bit with no problems. However, trying to set up audio and music only results in weird repeating static noises. Like vvv-bn-ZEEET, vvv-bn-ZEEET. So, no sounds. But that's fine, the game is quite atmospheric visually, and in particular, spatially.

As some reviewers have... er... NOTED #%&*!? ... :) ... there are times in the game when you walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, and walk.

Here's the thing. The game is designed so that you feel the size of your environment. Ringworld is freaking huge!! That ledge on which they park the ship is gigantic, 'goes for miles', and these guys are on foot looking for widely scattered possibly usable crash debris.

My friends, that task is gonna take some tedious walking. It adds to the feeling of being stranded on this monumentally gargantuan monolithic shelf in the deep of space.

Same with Quinn's walking speed aboard the ship. It's a big ship. The hangar bay is cavernous. The time it takes crossing from one end to the other is in keeping with that.

It's good immersion design, IMO. It would be fun designing a sound track for this.

zirkoni 25-08-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnorgplik (Post 484076)
I am running this on WinXP Pro 32 bit with no problems. However, trying to set up audio and music only results in weird repeating static noises. Like vvv-bn-ZEEET, vvv-bn-ZEEET. So, no sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Review notes
The version of the game available at our site has no sound at all, so you needn't bother with any settings.

The current time is 03:46 AM (GMT)