Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Emulators (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6125)

mm_pie 08-07-2005 06:46 PM

Go VDMSound!!!! DosBox is only my secondary! :wall:

Eagle of Fire 08-07-2005 07:27 PM

I use both tough DOSBox is without a doubt superior in every way.

There is way more games which can't be run with VDMSound that DOSBox can run than the opposite.

win98 09-07-2005 08:09 AM

GO VDM SOUND! You are useful on my friends win nt4 pc

Bobbin Threadbare 09-07-2005 08:58 AM

Emulator?! We don't need no stinkin' emulator. I've got a Win95. Though I sometimes use ScummVM. I have my reasons...

Windows 95 rule! :Brain: :Brain: :Brain:
All heil Win95 :kosta: :kosta: :kosta:

Quintopotere 09-07-2005 12:03 PM

I find that DosBox is the best, but sometimes i'm too lazy for starting it and then write the Dos commands... these times i use VDMsound that for some games works really good!

MdaG 09-07-2005 02:15 PM

You forgot ScummVM.

adventureFAN 10-07-2005 11:42 AM

Yes, where is ScummVM?

My Choice: DOSBox, I love this Emulator! *.*

mm_pie 10-07-2005 12:52 PM

I didn't put scummvm on because it was designed with only a small number of games in mind, so it isn't very useful if you wanted to play most games.

Bobbin Threadbare 10-07-2005 01:40 PM

There's all of Humugus entertainment. All LucasArts adventure games (but Labyrinth). Beneath A Steel Sky, Flight Of The Amazon Queen. Not alot?

Data 10-07-2005 01:54 PM

depends.
dosbox supports over 1000 games compared to that it's not really much. (and all those games run in dosbox as well). Not here to start a war. just pointing out why some people prefer dosbox over scummvm

Bobbin Threadbare 10-07-2005 03:47 PM

Humungous Entertainment was recently shutdown by (the bastards themselves) LucasArts. All games compatible with ScummVM:

Humungous Entertainment
Backyard Baseball
Backyard Football
Backyard Soccer
Blue's ABC Time
Big Thinkers First Grade
Big Thinkers Kindergarten
Fatty Bears Birthday Surprise
Fatty Bears Fun Pack
Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell
Freddi Fish 4: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers of Briny Gulch
Freddi Fish and Luther's Maze Madness
Freddi Fish and Luther's Water Worries
Let's Explore the Airport with Buzzy
Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy
Let's Explore the Jungle with Buzzy
Pajama Sam 1: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside
Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren't so Frightening
Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head to Your Feet
Pajama Sam's Lost & Found
Pajama Sam's Sock Works socks 85%
Putt-Putt Enters the Race
Putt-Putt Goes To The Moon
Putt-Putt Joins the Circus
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo
Putt-Putt Travels Through Time
Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-O-Rama
Putt-Putt and Pep's Dog on a Stick
Putt-Putts Fun Pack
Putt-Putt & Fatty Bear's Activity Pack
Spyfox 1: Dry Cereal
Spyfox 2: Some Assembly Required spyfox2 90%
Spyfox 3: Operation Ozone
Spy Fox in Cheese Chase Game chase 20%
Spy Fox in Hold the Mustard

LucasArts/LucasFilm Games
Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island
Passport to Adventure (Indy3, Monkey and Loom demos)
Loom
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day Of The Tentacle
Sam & Max
Full Throttle
The Dig
Curse of Monkey Island

Other
Beneath a Steel Sky
Broken Sword I
Broken Sword II
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Gobliiins
Inherit the Earth
Simon The Sorcerer 1
Simon The Sorcerer 2

This includes all demos and other versions. (e.g Talkie, FM Towns etc.)
Looks like alot.

Apocalypse Dude 11-07-2005 11:02 AM

I'm still using dosbox right now until I've finished building my DOS PC on which I will be running native DOS 6.22 and maybe an extra WIN95 boot option for file transfer from my other system

rabadi 12-07-2005 12:59 AM

DOSBox would be my 1st choice here for my WinXP and Win2K machines, then Win98 DOS on another machine as 2nd choice. VDM Sound would be 3rd.

vipin 12-07-2005 08:43 AM

I prefer playing the DOS games in my real DOS included with Win98!
But I have an inbuilt sound card and it is games are unable to detect it, so I guess DosBox is the best out here. I have not been able to use that other tool, tried it sometimes, but I could not get it to work! :yawn:

adventureFAN 12-07-2005 08:30 PM

Ok, you guys be right :whistle:

I use ScummVM only for LucasArts Adventure & the other supportet Adventures.

Shrek 12-07-2005 08:53 PM

I choose DOSBox... and i belive that there are some games that don' t run on just any DOS system; i remember playing Crazy Cars III in my old 386. then one day i upgraded it to Pentium and "bye bye" Crazy Cars III. I only had the chance to play it again with DOSBox, so, for me: DOSBox rules :Brain:

vipin 13-07-2005 05:39 PM

yeah.. same here! :ok:

Nikita 19-07-2005 08:19 AM

I have finally created fully working system for ruuning old games under WinXP.
VDMSound and DosBOX are present. But few games doesn't work with them, or rather slow.
Solution to that is creating a Virtual PC (I used Microsoft Virtual PC). It is very simple, but you have to install all the additional software yourself. Like an OS or drivers. But that's not the big problem
Here is configuration of PC:
Pentium 200MHZ (or similiar)
RAM: Variable
Video: S3Trio 8Mb
Sound: SoundBlaster16 Awe32
I've succesfully installed and configured 3 PC's
1. WIN98SE
2. WIN95
3. Native DOS 7.0 :kosta:
Everything works smoothly. :cheers: I finally ran the games which are Windows95 compatible and refuses to work under WinXP. (Magic The Gathering)
Of course there are few drawbacks :
1. Microsoft Virtual PC is shareware (but there is 45 days trial to download (16 Mb))
2. Requires a little of Dos knowledge (installing drivers, MSCDEX)
3. Doesn't support physical USB port :not_ok: (though COMs are working fine) My joystick wasn't too happy about that .
That's all I can think about right now.
So the best configuration is following:
Try to run a game using these emlators.
1. VDMSound
2. DosBOX 0.63(without any tweaking)
3. Virtual PC (one of systems required).
It is almost 98%, that everything will work ..
I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO PLAY CRUSADER AT DECENT SPEED :D

Quintopotere 19-07-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nikita@Jul 19 2005, 08:19 AM
I finally ran the games which are Windows95 compatible and refuses to work under WinXP. (Magic The Gathering)

I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO PLAY CRUSADER AT DECENT SPEED :D

You had problems for running Magic? It work fine on my WinXPpro... :blink:

I'm happy that now you can enjoy Crusader :ok:

Nikita 19-07-2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

You had problems for running Magic? It work fine on my WinXPpro...
Yep... I thought, it's a very common problem.
There are many different games under this title,
Mine is from Microprose. (about Shandallar or smth.)

Sebatianos 19-07-2005 02:25 PM

I have Magic the Gathering: Shandalar and it works perfectly under WinXP. I had troubles in Windown 2000, but WinXP (service pack 2) has no problems running it (full sound and everything).

Nikita 19-07-2005 02:58 PM

Guess, you guys are lucky then :D
I've tried everything to run it, nothing helped. :wall:
But I have only WinXP SP1. Maybe that's the point.

omg 24-07-2005 12:06 AM

whic emulator do you use?
erm dosbox wi dfend.
speculator, emuz, snes 9x, zsnes, vice, ccs64, dega, mekaw, win uae, jnes, and frotz.
i love emmys :D

Kearnsy 24-07-2005 11:55 AM

oh yeah Zsnes is great!!
Its got video recording and save states and everything. + its very easy to use. Definately worth getting.

omg 24-07-2005 12:00 PM

zsnes is definatly the coolest of the crop for snes emulators. i love the way its gui is totally like a snes gui would be.
i end up using snes 9x a little more becuse there are a lot of games that it runs that zsnes doesnt. then again its the same the other way around. but i find generally greater compatability with snes 9x than zsnes which is a shame.

Kearnsy 24-07-2005 12:15 PM

I honestly havent encountered a game that doesnt work on zsnes. :blink:
Oh well.
Heres a great site:
bleeeh

Ps: 100 posts!!! :Brain: :Brain:

Whooops!! Sorry guys wont happen again!
thx Data :kosta:

Rogue 25-07-2005 02:47 PM

You should remove that link before admins remove it. (no rom site allowed to link here)

I use all emulators I can find. :)

Favorite: WinUAE

vipin 25-07-2005 04:49 PM

yeah... although that site was a good one but most of the rom sites are indirectly connected to warez stuff! :whistle:

Zakhal 04-08-2005 01:22 AM

Dosbox and VMDsound are great but you still need Virtual PC (and Windows95/98) to run old windows95 games. With the trio though you can play (almost) any old game.

vipin 04-08-2005 06:24 AM

how can I get Virtual PC ? Is it freeware or commercial? Is there a demo version available for download?

Zakhal 04-08-2005 01:41 PM

Virtual PC is commercial. Id suggest getting it from ebay for little cheaper. It acts like a second computer inside your own, it even has its own bios. You can install almost any operating system on it. Theres a 45-day trial if you wanna try it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc...oads/trial.mspx

Rogue 04-08-2005 01:47 PM

You need very fast PC to be able to use Virtual PC. And even then you'll expiriance lags.

Just get your self some old computer with windows 98 and use DOS-Mode for DOS games. ;)

Petter1979 04-08-2005 06:02 PM

I chosed "Other"

I have a old pentium 133Mhz with a sound blaster awe64 value PCI soundcard, that i play the dosgames with.

punch999 04-08-2005 06:25 PM

why did you even vote if you dont use a emulator? I use dosbox with the d-fend front end

Rogue 05-08-2005 07:34 PM

He might use Emulators for some other emulation ;) :sneaky: like some others around here... :)

vipin 06-08-2005 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anubis@Aug 5 2005, 02:47 AM
You need very fast PC to be able to use Virtual PC. And even then you'll expiriance lags.

Just get your self some old computer with windows 98 and use DOS-Mode for DOS games. ;)

I have Windows XP SP2, Pentium 4 1.8 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. I hope these are sufficient for a satisfactory performance. On Microsoft's webpage these requirements are written:-

Quote:

Processor: Athlon®, Duron®, Celeron®, Pentium® II, Pentium III, or Pentium 4
Processor speed: 400 MHz minimum (1 GHz recommended)
RAM: Add the RAM requirement for the host operating system that you will be using to the requirement for the guest operating system that you will be using. If you will be using multiple guest operating systems simultaneously, total the requirements for all the guest operating systems that you need to run simultaneously.
Available disk space: To determine the hard disk space required, add the requirement for each guest operating system that will be installed.
Other: Level-2 cache and CD-ROM required
Virtual PC 2004 runs on: Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

Zakhal 07-08-2005 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anubis@Aug 4 2005, 01:47 PM
Ive read about that and that was my original reason not to try it. But then when I did there was no lag at all. It runs even heavier games like earthsiege2+starsiege with plenty of speed and max graphics. Actually I havent even seen a game yet where it would lag.

(My computer is althlon 64 3000+, 1 gig of memory single bandwith 333MHz)

Rogue 09-08-2005 12:54 PM

I had bad lags on P4 2.4GHz with 512MB of memory.

Zakhal,
I will try that as soon as I got new computer at home. At the moment I have VPC only on my laptop for work.

Rinforzando 25-08-2005 12:22 PM

I voted for DOSbox, although I haven't tried any other emulator, so I can't really judge.

Also, why does everyone have these front-ends for DOSbox, what do they do that's so great, and am I the only one not to have one? :blink:

The Fifth Horseman 25-08-2005 02:33 PM

I don't use a frontend either. I just prefer to set up the things the ol' fashioned way, like in the good times when my 486 was still working (:cry:).

Scarface 25-08-2005 07:38 PM

I voted for VDMSound because is easy to use
DOSbox is great but you need a fast PC

Tulac 28-08-2005 01:56 PM

DOSbox, because it has the best compatibility, and typing in dos commands is kind of a fetish for me...

blastradius14 06-09-2005 12:51 AM

Dos-box, Scummv, then VDMsound

You guys wouldn't believe how long it took me to remember how to go back down the folders LOL

I used to use dos alot, and here it took me three weeks of playing with dos-box to remember... Its like C: / or C: \...

or was it cd / or cd \?
Ack! I forgot again! LOL

Bobbin Threadbare 12-09-2005 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anubis@Aug 6 2005, 05:34 AM
He might use Emulators for some other emulation ;) :sneaky:* like some others around here... :)
He's right. I use these emulators:
ScummVM
Gameboy Colour (BGB)
Gameboy Advance (Visual Boy)
NES/SNES (NESticle)
MAME32 (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)
DOSBox (only for ppls that have WinXP, so I use it 'cause those people know nothing about PCs)
Nintendo 64 (Project 64)
Commodore 64

Emulate DOS on my PC. I need not. I'm still using my '95 PC, but I've upgraded to '98. Still runs the ssame as when I had 95 but I canuse more programs.

sewen 18-12-2005 02:48 PM

I use QEMU, here is version for windows too....
[i](in order to use qemu you will need also to create an image with installed OS, like DOS an some apps..)

The current time is 02:00 AM (GMT)