Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Zak Mckracken And The Alien Mindbenders (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=1327)

Tom Henrik 18-11-2004 03:05 PM

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Tom Henrik 18-11-2004 03:07 PM

Sorry about that. I had to leave and I forgot about making the topic in the hurry.

Anyways. Here is something that Sebatianos placed along with the file.

http://www.abandonia.com/~sebatianos...shots/%231.JPG

(And we have them both. Yay!)

Sebatianos 18-11-2004 06:15 PM

:tnx: :Tom: for all the help with this one.
BTW - the link from the main page to here doesn't work.
I know I'm probably going on your nerves, but could you please? :angel:
:ok:

Tom Henrik 18-11-2004 06:21 PM

Now it does :ok:

JJXB 18-11-2004 06:49 PM

get scummvm to play this, thats the best way :)

Guest 20-11-2004 05:07 AM

I came across a site that had the CD music in OGG format for use with ScummVM. I already have the actual CD so I didn't pay much attention at the time. I can't imagine trying to play this without the music and ambience though so it's definately worth looking up. Maybe I can find the site again...

Mulky 21-11-2004 02:42 AM

This was the first graphic adventure I'd ever played, and I've never looked back since. Now by today's standards, the graphics are naff, the sound naffer, and the mazes are an absoulte no no in game design, but this still stands today (IMHO) as one of the best graphics adventures made. :Brain:

Iron_Scarecrow 21-11-2004 09:16 AM

Is there a VGA remake of this?

kyrandia 21-11-2004 12:47 PM

I don't know of any remake of this game, but there is a fanmade zak that you can download from the-underdogs Better graphics and a new story :ok:

Sebatianos 21-11-2004 03:53 PM

Part two has better gaphics and a better sound - but it's a game I started playing one afternoon and finished an hour later solveing all the puzzles...
It's fun, but no real challange. Part one is! Just try finishing without the walkthrough (like I did the first time). I don't usually get stuck for that long - but it took me half a year (mostly because I playd it on C64 without the game save option and had to start from the begining every time).

Iron_Scarecrow 22-11-2004 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kyrandia@Nov 21 2004, 01:47 PM
I don't know of any remake of this game, but there is a fanmade zak that you can download from the-underdogs Better graphics and a new story :ok:
Yeah that was the one I was thinking of.

kenpac 22-11-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Part one is! Just try finishing without the walkthrough (like I did the first time). I don't usually get stuck for that long - but it took me half a year (mostly because I playd it on C64 without the game save option and had to start from the begining every time).
You're telling me!!! I dl ZAK this past weekend with the walkthrough (it's the first adventure type game I've ever tried) and I could not imagine doing it w/o the walkthrough. I know I'm a bit obtuse at times, but if all adventure games are this tough I can imagine giving up in frustration all too often. No sense of accomplishment using the walkthrough, but it at least it helped me get a taste of this game genre. Any suggestions on which game to try next?

Thanks
Ken

Sebatianos 22-11-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kenpac@Nov 22 2004, 09:55 PM
Quote:

Part one is! Just try finishing without the walkthrough (like I did the first time). I don't usually get stuck for that long - but it took me half a year (mostly because I playd it on C64 without the game save option and had to start from the begining every time).
You're telling me!!! I dl ZAK this past weekend with the walkthrough (it's the first adventure type game I've ever tried) and I could not imagine doing it w/o the walkthrough. I know I'm a bit obtuse at times, but if all adventure games are this tough I can imagine giving up in frustration all too often. No sense of accomplishment using the walkthrough, but it at least it helped me get a taste of this game genre. Any suggestions on which game to try next?

Thanks
Ken

May I suggest Blue Force? :ok:

Guest 23-11-2004 02:45 AM

Quote:

May I suggest Blue Force? :ok:
Thanks I'll take a look at it, just saw it today as a matter of fact.

Ken

Iron_Scarecrow 23-11-2004 05:36 AM

I suggest Future Wars.

Lee 23-11-2004 10:28 PM

There's a 256 colour version of the original Zak you can play on ScummVm floating around the net somewhere. FM towns version.

adamcoxoff 28-11-2004 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kenpac@Nov 22 2004, 02:55 PM
Any suggestions on which game to try next?

Thanks
Ken

and once you're done with Blue Force and Future Wars... CONQUESTS OF THE LONGBOW!! yeah, that's a great adventure game... and the Larry Laffer series (comically fun).

adam

RuSt 30-11-2004 02:51 PM

...Meanwhile.....in the secret room.....

DrunkenDragon 29-12-2004 04:22 PM

If you liked Zak, you should really try Maniac Mansion. Very similar, and even funnier. Hamster in the microwave anyone?

wolfman 29-12-2004 04:55 PM

how do you save the game?

DrunkenDragon 29-12-2004 05:37 PM

Forget the game, I want to know why my computer is going nuts after downloading and trying to open the walkthrough.

F5 saves the game.

wolfman 29-12-2004 11:47 PM

Thanks

Pathologist 31-12-2004 08:56 PM

For those of us who do not have the latest bloated version of Word, is it possible to post the walkthrough/codes in some sensible format llike plain text or rich text format?

Thank you.

Castaway 01-01-2005 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Nov 21 2004, 04:53 PM
Part two has better gaphics and a better sound - but it's a game I started playing one afternoon and finished an hour later solveing all the puzzles...
It's fun, but no real challange. Part one is! Just try finishing without the walkthrough (like I did the first time). I don't usually get stuck for that long - but it took me half a year (mostly because I playd it on C64 without the game save option and had to start from the begining every time).

There's a game save option on the C64 as well, I think it's the same key as on every other version (F5). Discovered that one some 15 years ago by accident.

Sebatianos 01-01-2005 09:59 AM

I didn't know about the save-game option for C64 - thanks!

About the walkthrough:
I'll put up another version in some other format - no problem, but the EXIT VISA charts are scaned images, so you'll have to download them seperatly!

Nice to see you're all enjoying the game!

EDIT:
I'll ask our admins to include this files with the main download site.

Tom Henrik 01-01-2005 03:02 PM

Fixed :bye:

Guest 02-01-2005 05:55 AM

You can get a walkthrough at Gamefaqs.com, and the exit codes at http://project64.c64.org/games/m-z/zakvisa.txt

Sebatianos 02-01-2005 09:15 AM

Thank you -Guest- , but there's no need for that any more! We provided both here (thanks to Tom and me - damn - what a team).
I'm not even sure the C64 codes would work on PC this game (it might but,...). And about the walkthrough - I've been writing it a couple of hours so I'm acctually a bit proud of it (first walkthrough I ever wrote), so I'd prefer people using this one (or even better - not use a walkthrough at all - and find everything out yourself).

Guest 02-01-2005 12:07 PM

Yes there is a version of zak mckracken from lucas arts which has which is way better in graphics than the ega version it is called zak mckracken(fm-towns).If you find it any site please tell

Pathologist 03-01-2005 12:14 AM

Thank you very much for making the walkthrough available, but I seem to be unable to find the scanned visa codes. There is no link on the game main page.

Thank you.

wolfman 03-01-2005 01:08 AM

I found the exit visa codes, how do i use them. I played the game years ago and can't remember how to use them. :tnx:

Sebatianos 03-01-2005 12:50 PM

When you get on a plane leaving US (if you're flying within US or outside it it doesn't matter) the reservation terminal will ask you to enter the code before you can get the ticket.
It'll say something like:
Section 4, D, 12

Then you go to the section 4 - it's the fourth file and says Section 4 on the side.
There you look for the 4 symbols that are under D 12 - something like ##@¤ and then you enter those symbols in the terminal. You get a ticket and that's it!
Unfortunately you'll have to do it everytime you leave the US on a plane.

Maple Leafs 07-01-2005 03:37 AM

Wow, what a find. I had this game for the Amiga years and years ago. I'm played through the first few minutes and I'm amazed at how much I remember.

Thanks for all your work in posting it (and the walkthrough).

FlyByAl 27-01-2005 09:49 PM

I loved this game when it came out on the C64, I entered a competition in Zzap 64 magazine and came in as a runner up the prize was a copy of Zak. There was a problem however, it was on disk only format and 1541 disk drives for the C64 were very expensive (even as late on as 1988!). In order to play the game I had to run round to my mates house and use his disk drive!

There is an unoffcial sequel to Zak called The New Adventures Zak McKracken. You can download it from:

http://people.freenet.de/lucasfangam.../games_eng.htm

Sebatianos 28-01-2005 01:13 AM

Yes, there's a sequel out there, but doesn't come close to the original.
There's another fan made Zak on the was: Zak McCracken and the alien rockstar (or somthing very similar to that title), but I've no idea how far along is it. Would be nice to have more Zak games!

day 29-01-2005 04:53 PM

I have a question: It says in the walkthrough that F5 saves the game? Well when I try, all it does is close my game down completely. Does anybody know why? :help:

Sebatianos 29-01-2005 06:23 PM

Sounds like your games chrashes.
Can you tell me what system you are using (Win XP, DOSBox, VDMSound, SCUMM,...)?

day 30-01-2005 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 29 2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like your games chrashes.
Can you tell me what system you are using (Win XP, DOSBox, VDMSound, SCUMM,...)?

I'm using winXP but without service pack 2 (I've avoided it due to problems with compatibility with other games)

Muzzer 07-02-2005 12:13 AM

I just wanted to say thankyou for adding this game. I remember years ago my uncle had a computer when hardly anyone had one, and this was one of the games he had (along with Day of The Tentacle).

Playing this game brings back so many happy memories. Thanks again.

Niban 27-03-2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jan 3 2005, 01:50 PM
When you get on a plane leaving US (if you're flying within US or outside it it doesn't matter) the reservation terminal will ask you to enter the code before you can get the ticket.
It'll say something like:
Section 4, D, 12

Then you go to the section 4 - it's the fourth file and says Section 4 on the side.
There you look for the 4 symbols that are under D 12 - something like ##@¤ and then you enter those symbols in the terminal. You get a ticket and that's it!
Unfortunately you'll have to do it everytime you leave the US on a plane.

:blink: :blink: I wonder if anyone could help me. I don't have a printer so I have to leave the game and look at the exit visa codes, then go back. But when I click on the minimized game, the screen goes black, and there's nothing I can do, but to shut off the computer. I'm using WinXP. Any tips?

Sebatianos 27-03-2005 04:14 PM

Well there are some compatibility issues with WinXP (this is one of them)... The easiest way would be do install DOSBox (there's a link among the programs on the main site).

stubbisen 17-04-2005 01:43 PM

hellooo :)

i'm stuck... zak is with melissa and leslie in the pyramid. i've push the feet of the sarcophagus, and when i try to use the key in the golden box, i can't reach it. what do i do???
thanks
:bye:

Spoonman 17-04-2005 01:57 PM

Ooh this game was pretty hard actually. But I really loved it and I still do, especially the weird intro at the beginning :D Great music too btw, I still catch myself humming the main tune at the beginning sometimes :).

(oh, and don't get any high expectations about that unofficial sequel.. it kinda sucks)

Sebatianos 17-04-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by stubbisen@Apr 17 2005, 03:43 PM
hellooo :)

i'm stuck... zak is with melissa and leslie in the pyramid. i've push the feet of the sarcophagus, and when i try to use the key in the golden box, i can't reach it. what do i do???
thanks
:bye:

So you're inside the Mars pyramide... Is somebody still pushing the feet - so the stariway is open? Move that person away from the sarcofagus and the opening will close. Now the person in the upper room will be able to walk freely around.

TheChosen 21-04-2005 11:44 AM

I remember when i was playing this game when i was 10. It was fun(my first love in adventure games),but i got stuck in that visa-thingie(got the amiga and the games,they didnt had any copy protection manuals). But still it was fun. :Brain:

Mr.Modem 03-05-2005 03:35 PM

I really love this game on of the best adventures ever made!

There is a slightly problem your review though. You have misspelled the name of it. It should be Zak McKracken not Zak McCracken. Would you please correct it!

Sebatianos 03-05-2005 03:45 PM

Fixed.
I guess no-one noticed it before. Sorry.
Thanks for pointing it out :ok:

Gibsonman 06-05-2005 08:03 AM

Hi there,

if have problems switchting to the bird for passing the river in Mexico. I give him the crumbs, he comes and then ?
I just get arrested by the alien ....

THX, Gibs

Sebatianos 06-05-2005 09:39 AM

Have you been to the Guru in Katmandu yet?
He must teach you how to use the blue crystal - then you'll have enough time to switch to the bird and return to Zak (and escape) before the Alien comes to arrest you.

Guest 07-05-2005 02:54 PM

The Visa Code zip doesen't open!

Sebatianos 07-05-2005 04:25 PM

Try opening it with Winzip (not the original extraction tool that comes along with WinXP).

Gibsonman 08-05-2005 10:04 PM

Hi again, another question :help:

How does the lottery goes ? Is there a trick to earn money ?

Thx, Gibs

DeathDude 08-05-2005 11:05 PM

If you head back to the alien ship after all the journey and such by befriending the head alien dude, you can go see a panel that will tell you the winning lotto numbers on the ship.

greg 10-05-2005 05:19 PM

im playin the new one the new adventures of zak mckracken and i forget how to wake the busdriver

Sebatianos 10-05-2005 07:50 PM

Well in the 'New Adventures' you need something louder - so get the gas from Ann's office and use in in the chainsaw - that should do the trick!

Kirsti 19-05-2005 02:14 PM

Hi!
How do I obtain a copy of this game? In seem to be under ESA-protection, but the company home page doesn't provide any info on how to buy/download the game. This really sucks! :wall: I played this game many years ago and it wouldn't be the same to play the underdog "sequal".

samtam90 19-05-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kirsti@May 19 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi!
How do I obtain a copy of this game? In seem to be under ESA-protection, but the company home page doesn't provide any info on how to buy/download the game. This really sucks! :wall: I played this game many years ago and it wouldn't be the same to play the underdog "sequal".

You can try to find it in some online stores.

Noloony 27-05-2005 12:04 AM

:( i have zak mccracken and the Alien Mindbenders but i have a prob wen ill try to get to the zaire jungel ill get an error :( i need a working copy of the game send 1 to mc_pickles@hotmail.com ty anyway

Sebatianos 27-05-2005 08:56 AM

You can always try and download the version for Commodore 64 (or I guess Amiga), but you'll need an emulator to run the game... You really should be able to get the game, since you do have the original.

Mulky 05-06-2005 02:00 PM

:Brain: This game ROCKS! :Brain:

:not_ok: ESB SUCKS :not_ok:

:blink:

kOS 05-06-2005 04:01 PM

What is ESB?

Mulky 09-06-2005 05:54 PM

ESB is mean being a dick and not checking my spellig. I was refering to ESA, Entertainment Software Association, who are protecting the game and preventing anyone from downloading it. Although, I suppose Lucasfilms are the ones to moan at, as they are the ones who would have hired ESA to protect it (I think).

The damn game was made in 1988 for crying out loud. Either re-release it so it's easy for those who wish, to obtain a copy, or turn it freeware so this little gem doesn't vanish into oblivion.

A. J. Raffles 09-06-2005 07:21 PM

No ESA-bashing, please. <_<

Sebatianos 09-06-2005 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mulky@Jun 9 2005, 07:54 PM
Either re-release it so it's easy for those who wish, to obtain a copy, or turn it freeware so this little gem doesn't vanish into oblivion.
If so many people want it, it's safe to say that the game will not be forgoten any time soon.

Louser 14-06-2005 06:02 AM

Damn, I remember this game from when i was a kid, I'd love to get a hold of it, any suggestions?

A. J. Raffles 14-06-2005 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Louser@Jun 14 2005, 06:02 AM
Damn, I remember this game from when i was a kid, I'd love to get a hold of it, any suggestions?
I'm afraid not. The game is ESA-protected, so such "suggestions" would be illegal, you see. If I were you, I'd try to get hold of one of Lucas Arts' adventure collections at ebay or a similar place. They're not that hard to find, since the games used to be very popular, obviously.;)

Sebatianos 14-06-2005 08:54 AM

If you're a Zak fan you can always try the fan made sequal (it's available at Abandoni Reloaded I believe - if not it should and will be soon).
Also I know it's not the same, but the game was made for other computer systems, maybe some other company published it and the game would be availabe (but I doubt it).

ZaPuNeIz 11-10-2005 01:35 AM

:ok: Coooooollll :ok:

Guest_Jimmy 19-10-2005 10:09 AM

I'm not able to use tokens in tram.

"It just spits my token out again!"

What's wrong?

Sebatianos 19-10-2005 11:43 AM

You need to clear the sand off the solar panel first (use the broom-like alien).

A. J. Raffles 19-10-2005 01:06 PM

@Sebatianos: Ah, right, I almost forgot to tell you about that squirrel: there's several ways of dealing with it: you can distract it with breadcrumbs (the animal friendly solution) or you can just, well, kill it by using either the giant hairpin or the bread. Quite a lot of puzzles have several solutions, I think. For example I never knew you could stop the bus with a golf club, because that never occurred to me. I always stopped it by having Zak play "Pop Goes the Weasel" on the kazoo.:D

Sebatianos 19-10-2005 01:18 PM

Well the double headed squirel friendly version would be giving it peanuts you got on the plane :ok: You can still see the squirel later on.

Yes there are several ways to do something (like waking up the bus driver, or getting the stuff back if you're caught). Actually waking the driver up (or getting rid of the squirel) just let you use mulitple tools and there aren't many such puzzles with this game. Once you get use to the idea and the mood of the game - everything will seem logical (parachute out of a byplane to escape getting captured by aliens and incidentally find Atlantis in the process).

A. J. Raffles 19-10-2005 02:15 PM

Have you ever managed that winning the lottery bit? I tried it once, but by the time I got back the numbers had changed, I think.

Sebatianos 19-10-2005 02:37 PM

It's easy, but you don't really need to (if you're not making any unnecesary travelling). You just read the lotto-mat and buy the ticket (some time later you'll be the winner if you go back to Lou's Loans (you can win as many times as you like).

A. J. Raffles 19-10-2005 02:54 PM

Yes, but for some reason I couldn't get back to Lou's on time to buy the ticket for the right draw.

Sebatianos 19-10-2005 03:54 PM

Maybe you were too early. If the wrong number was drawn (that's much more likely then the possibility of being too late).

BiggySmall 02-11-2005 03:47 AM

Has anyone who's playing the FM-Towns version in ScummVM had a problem getting audio to work? I'm in windows XP, and I get no audio whatsoever.... anyone?

Sebatianos 02-11-2005 05:43 PM

Well there is always dosbox - works flawelessly.

Bobbin Threadbare 26-02-2006 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BiggySmall@Nov 2 2005, 02:47 PM
Has anyone who's playing the FM-Towns version in ScummVM had a problem getting audio to work? I'm in windows XP, and I get no audio whatsoever.... anyone?
Look at the options. Or get the latest ScummVM.

Icewolf 27-02-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Oct 19 2005, 03:15 PM
Have you ever managed that winning the lottery bit? I tried it once, but by the time I got back the numbers had changed, I think.
You have to get beamed up by the aliens. You have to fly over the bermuda triangle to get there. The pilot tells great jokes... :D
They have a prediction mashine for the lottery.
It's NECESSARY that you win, cause you have to fly to often that it'll kill your bank account... :D

A. J. Raffles 27-02-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Icewolf@Feb 27 2006, 08:59 AM
It's NECESSARY that you win, cause you have to fly to often that it'll kill your bank account... :D
No, it isn't, actually. I eventually managed to finish the game without winning the lottery, but I had to use a walkthrough for it, because the puzzles in Zak McKracken are such a bloody pain. This was clearly my least favourite LucasArts game, closely followed by Maniac Mansion and - dare I say it? - Loom.

Icewolf 27-02-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A. J. Raffles
his was clearly my least favourite LucasArts game, closely followed by Maniac Mansion and - dare I say it? - Loom.
:blink: What?!
I don't think the puzzles are too heavy...
Too bad you didn't like 'em. I remember the good times with those three adventures!
Just because of the puzzles...? :(

A. J. Raffles 27-02-2006 10:29 AM

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific there, perhaps.
What I disliked about Zak McKracken is that it's completely and utterly illogical. You basically have to combine items at random. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer puzzles which take a while to figure out, but which nevertheless make sense.
Maniac Mansion I didn't really like because it's also largely trial and error: if you walk into the kitchen at the wrong point in time you'll be thrown into the cell. It happened to me over and over again, and I found it extremely annoying. And the puzzles are just as illogical as in Zak McKracken.
Loom I just found a little disappointing. It had a great concept, very nice graphics for the time and all that, but that couldn't really conceal the fact that there was very little to do. You were always forced to do everything in sequence and play along with the story: get from A to B, learn a new note, cast a new spell, get from B to C. I prefer adventure games that allow you a little more freedom as to what you want to do and when you want to do it. In Loom, everything is crucial to the story, so there's always only one way of solving a problem, and problems always have to be solved in the right order. I just don't like being led so much.

Icewolf 27-02-2006 11:31 AM

I see now!
Do you mean puzzles like (in ZMK) having to use the duct tape with the fish bowl?
Hmm... :D
Well ZMK gives you some different possibilities for some puzzles though.
You can KILL the squirrel or give him your peanuts.
You can wake the bus driver by playing kazoo or knocking his door.

I understand that it can't give you as much as the new adventures do but in former days it rocked, I think.

BTW in MM you only get thrown in the cell when you enter the kitchen the first time or if you're in it and Weird Ed gets his cheese. :ok:

A. J. Raffles 27-02-2006 12:34 PM

But he's ALWAYS in there, getting his bloody cheese!

(Anyway, I think I'm going off-topic. Sorry.:tomato:)

Maxi 18-04-2006 01:08 PM

maybe i'm stupid but how do i switch do the bird? i use the blue crystal on it, zak faints and then i can do NOTHING? i have no idea what to do (and checked some walkthroughs). what am i doing wrong?

Sebatianos 18-04-2006 01:16 PM

Did you already learn how to use the crystal (in Katmandu from the Guru)?

If you did and you use it on the bird - when Zak faints you should already have the control of the bird. Zak will be lying there and the bird will be above him, but you can not FLY TO instead of WALK TO.
If this doesn't happen there must be something wrong with the game (or you haven't been to the Guru yet).

Maxi 19-04-2006 04:39 AM

well it's seems i missed that... and my funds are insufficient to get there. i was in katmandu to get the flagpole but the guru said nothing to me... it seems i gotta start again, don't i?

Icewolf 19-04-2006 07:11 AM

To re-raise your funds you can play lotto.

First you have fill out the application you get in the phone company and put it in your mailbox. Later on you have the KING fan club card.
Then you fly over the bermuda triangle and get beamed up by the aliens. You stay in their spaceship and show them that fan club card. On the right hand in the ship is a lotto prediction machine.... :sneaky:

Sebatianos 19-04-2006 09:14 AM

@MAXI:
As Icewolf pointed out you could try and win the lottery...

To get the Lotto numbers you need to go to Miami - and then head for Bermuda (don't jump of the plane) and you'll get kidnaped by aliens. Stand close to the door (so you won't be teleported down with the pilot).
Now if you're a fan of the King (if you sent the letter to be a part of the fan club) or if you have the guitar (bought at thestore) you can show that to the King and you'll off the hook. Otherwise look at the Lot-o-matic (to the far right) and get the lottery numbers.
They'll brainwash you, but you'll get to San Francisco again and you'll be able to buy the Lotto ticket and win (in some time).
The stuff you loose when they brainwash you can be taken back in two ways:
1) Buy a hat and the nose mask (at the pawn shop). Put them on and go to the phone company. You'll be able to go to the back room, where they keep all the stuff in the closet.
2) You can go back to your room, lift the rug corner and use the wire cutters on the floor. Then use the rope on the floor (tie it to the door) and climb down. Get the stuff out of the closet and climb back. Be quick about it, so they don't catch you.

If you ran out of money, you can always switch to Annie and have her buy you the ticket (until you get the money from the lottery). You'll have to buy her tickets afterwards.

Guest 25-05-2006 10:17 AM

Check out the speed run at:

http://www.adventure-speedruns.com/

Only 34:31 to complete the game. The video serves as a good walkthrough too...

Guest 16-10-2006 12:35 AM

Is this thread still alive?

Like many of you, i also played this gem when i was younger. What i can recall is from the game and what really bothered me, was that in the actual game case there was some sort of "newspaper" included, in the same way as there were included other material in the Loom case, besides the actual manual. As far as I can recall there was shown an illustrtion of a circus on Mars, but i dont remember finding any circuses on Mars at all while playing. So my question is, if anyone had discovered it or thought about the same thing?

Icewolf 18-10-2006 07:55 AM

Hi there!

No there ain't a circus on Mars, sorry. ^_^
There is however a face-like cave and a pyramid on Mars. And you start off in a Mars hostel.

Guest 19-10-2006 06:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Oct 18 2006, 07:55 AM) [snapback]261889[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Hi there!

No there ain't a circus on Mars, sorry. ^_^
There is however a face-like cave and a pyramid on Mars. And you start off in a Mars hostel.
[/b]
So you dont know of this "newspaper" which was included in the game case illustrating a circus on Mars? Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me...

Icewolf 20-10-2006 07:46 AM

There is a newspaper stand on every airport where there are funny topics to read and I think there's one about some Mars-discovery.
For example there are two ways to get rid of the two-headed squirrel. That affects one topic.

A. J. Raffles 20-10-2006 08:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Oct 20 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]262378[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

There is a newspaper stand on every airport where there are funny topics to read and I think there's one about some Mars-discovery.
For example there are two ways to get rid of the two-headed squirrel. That affects one topic.
[/b]
I think what he means is the nice tabloidy manual that came with the game.:) As far as I remember, there was something about a circus on Mars in there. Not everything that's mentioned in the manual is in the actual game, though.

Guest 22-10-2006 09:06 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. J. Raffles @ Oct 20 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]262387[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Oct 20 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]262378[/snapback]
Quote:

[/b]
I think what he means is the nice tabloidy manual that came with the game.:) As far as I remember, there was something about a circus on Mars in there. Not everything that's mentioned in the manual is in the actual game, though.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly my friend :) Just remembered that that particular thing really annoyed my since i couldnt find any circus. What was also mentioned in the "newspaper" which isnt included in the game as well?

icewolf > thanx for your replies. Maybe i should have written my questions more clearly.

A. J. Raffles 23-10-2006 01:09 AM

Well, the possibility of losing weight by having a zipper sewn into your stomach, for example. Or the Groucho-Marxified sphinx.;)
Or maybe I just forgot about those...

TheChosen 24-10-2006 07:20 AM

What can I do at the egypt? I cant do anything else expect light the torche's.

Icewolf 24-10-2006 07:30 AM

Did you get into the sphynx?

TheChosen 24-10-2006 08:03 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Oct 24 2006, 07:30 AM) [snapback]263224[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Did you get into the sphynx?
[/b]
I can get near to it, but I can just admire its (or perhaps her) leg.

A. J. Raffles 24-10-2006 08:09 AM

Have you thought about what you might do with those marks?

TheChosen 24-10-2006 08:24 AM

What marks?

A. J. Raffles 24-10-2006 09:49 AM

Look at one of the sphinx' legs. I can't remember which one it was, but I think it was the left one. You'll see a few yellow marks. And that might remind you of something.;)

Guest_Sebatianos_* 25-10-2006 01:53 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Oct 24 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]263232[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

What marks?
[/b]
You need to walk to the leg of the Sphynx. Try clicking on where its toe should be. The marks will be along the leg (as A.J. said), but not always the same leg.

TheChosen 31-10-2006 06:24 AM

Got it! Thanks.

mdeba 19-08-2007 06:57 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ May 25 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]232202[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Check out the speed run at:

http://www.adventure-speedruns.com/

Only 34:31 to complete the game. The video serves as a good walkthrough too...
[/b]

Great link! I think I prefer to enjoy my adventure games a little slower than that though!

For the record, there's a few more speedrun sites i know about, including
http://www.archive.org/details/speed_runs
and
http://speeddemosarchive.com/

And yes, i know the post is over a year old. I was just thanking the poster for the link!

cgirl 18-02-2008 08:47 PM

need to get zak back!

I am looking for a way to play zak on my xp laptop, where can I dload it and how? used to have it on C64 but that comp is long gone and so is the game. can't wait to get back to playing it. help if you can thx.

dosraider 18-02-2008 09:15 PM

The PC version is ESA protected, not downloadable.

But you can click on the amiga link in the game sheet, will bring you to the Lemon site, get the amiga version there.
Go to the sites home page,get WinUAE (an amiga emulator) and you can play the amiga version on your PC.

DonCorleone 18-02-2008 09:44 PM

Well, I never managed to download a game at lemongames. Is it possible at all?

dosraider 18-02-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonCorleone (Post 319483)
Well, I never managed to download a game at lemongames. Is it possible at all?

Lemon doesn't host games, it provides the links to downloadsites.
For Zack:scroll down t'll
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1246/lemonwz3.png
The first link works.

DonCorleone 22-02-2008 01:00 PM

Ah, I never got aware of this... good to know, thx :)

gumpy 17-06-2009 07:20 PM

How many other adventure games are there where nose glasses and a stale loaf of French bread play an important role in the game? :)
A true classic!

Ranthalion75 18-06-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumpy (Post 370620)
How many other adventure games are there where nose glasses and a stale loaf of French bread play an important role in the game? :)
A true classic!

I need to dress up like Zak for Halloween. Gotta find some nose glasses though. I've got the stale bread. :embarassed:

Paco 05-03-2012 07:44 PM

finally completed this Game after so many years. I had trouble coz 2 Girls on Mars died of lack of Air and had Money-problems too. ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumpy (Post 370620)
A true classic!

oh and btw nose glasses is not needed to complete the game. ^^

raposita 28-10-2022 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxi (Post 216454)
maybe i'm stupid but how do i switch do the bird? i use the blue crystal on it, zak faints and then i can do NOTHING? i have no idea what to do (and checked some walkthroughs). what am i doing wrong?

When you go to Katmandú, stay with the Gurú, don't leave until he teaches how to use the blue crystal. It will take a while, but he will do it eventually. I had the exact problem as you.

The current time is 01:47 AM (GMT)