Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   General compatibility fixes (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Custom Dos Pc. (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13067)

Geezer 15-02-2007 02:50 AM

Now this is a topic I can get into. :)

I am a game collector and love digging out my old copies and reliving my younger days.

I have an older Pentium 400 that I use to play all my old DOS games on. I dual boot between DOS and Win 98. If I boot to DOS I can run Win 3.1 from there and I have an emergency disk that I can boot to Win 95 from if needed. (Yes I actually ran into a Win 95 game that would not run on 98.) When I need to slow it down I have found Moslo does ok with a little experimentation. I just got done playing Ultima IV and had to run Moslo set at 2%. Worked very well for a game created in what, 1985?

ISA is a must. The trickiest situations I have run into involve games that do not support expanded memory and must have the drivers load below 512/640. I have found some downsized mouse and CD drivers that have been invaluable.

I installed both a 5.25 and 3.5 floppy because many of my earlier games are on 5.25 media.

Good luck. My Geezer machine has been more valuable than my newer XP. I think I need to start building a backup.

The Fifth Horseman 15-02-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Yes I actually ran into a Win 95 game that would not run on 98.[/b]
Out of curiosity... what game was that?

Quote:

I installed both a 5.25 and 3.5 floppy because many of my earlier games are on 5.25 media.[/b]
I suggest you use WinImage to back them up, just in case. I had 3,5 floppies break down on me in little over half a decade, despite being used barely once or twice to install the game.

Geezer 15-02-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

[/b]
Its been a couple years but I am going to find out if you are interested. It was around the time I was playing Toonstruck and Torrin's Passage but I can't remember if it was one of those or another. Only have ever run into it once. Being the underlying architecture is very similar I assumed that it was checking the Win level during installation and game startup.

Quote:

I suggest you use WinImage to back them up, just in case. I had 3,5 floppies break down on me in little over half a decade, despite being used barely once or twice to install the game.
[/b]
I always make copies of my 5.25 on 3.5 when I get my hands on an older 5.25 game and keep the 3.5 and 5.25 in the box with the game. But, you are right, I should use WinImage as well.

win98 16-02-2007 06:23 PM

I was on the auction site in my country and I saw a 5 inch driver and bunch of disks going cheap. To bad I could not log in fast enough to bid 1min remaining. :crybaby:

liamoneal13 20-02-2007 11:23 AM

O.E.M. Original Equipment Manufacturer. If you can get an O.E.M. operating system do so.

The current time is 03:16 AM (GMT)