Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Have You Just Read? (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=13462)

Tito 14-02-2007 10:28 PM

Another one: "The Colossus of Maroussi" by Henry Miller. It describes his travel to Greece mixing it with his personal thoughts about the world, people, philosophy and whatever crosses his path. Very interesting.

Terry Pratchett is so funny. Besides, he is a very good writer. The problem is that when I start one of his books, it hooks me and I can't stop reading 'til I finish it, and that can be a problem if I'm in the middle of an examination or something.

If you enjoy Terry Pratchett's books you should also try the Wilt saga by Tom Sharpe. It is so hilarious.

Honarius 15-02-2007 04:43 AM

I just finished Dreamcatcher, Cell and 'Salem's Lot all by Stephen King. They are all of good standard horror stock, with Dreamcatcher being exceptionally gruesome in some sections.

The Fifth Horseman 15-02-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

I seem to recall Death playing a rather large side-role in "Thief of Time", but I'm not entirely sure (it's been quite some time since I read the book, or any Pratchett book for that matter).[/b]
Not really a large role, IMO. His granddaughter has a bit more of a part there.

Cloudy 15-02-2007 12:18 PM

I recently read 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger. It's totally brilliant actually, dunno why I never read that before.

Right now I've just started reading 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.

Tito 15-02-2007 01:40 PM

"The Catcher in the Rye" was, in my opinion, technically perfect, but I found the main character so unpleasant...

The Fifth Horseman 15-02-2007 01:57 PM

Neuromancer is a must-read book, definitely.

Quintopotere 15-02-2007 05:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Feb 12 2007, 11:33 PM) [snapback]278993[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Quinto, I think that "The Confessions" must be an interesting book to read even if you are not into christianism. If I am not mistaken, Saint Augustine's philosophy is a basic pillar of european knowledge during the Middle-Ages, so it is worth knowing some of his works (I'm not into christian religion, but I studied in a school called "Saint Augustine", by the way).

About "Hearth of Darkness", I have to agree with you and Lulu_Jane. Brilliant book, and brilliant film also. I've read some other Conrad's books, but they weren't so rich and deep.
[/b]
Well, I think that The Confessions is only about religion, but with just a bit of "sillogistic" reasoning, so someone could say that is philosophic... that's just MY opinion, so I could be wrong. There are others books by him which are only philosophic (don't remember the names :P )

I love all the books (I've read) by Conrad and I find all them rich and deep at the same level...

I read just one book by Pratchett (Sorcery): it was funny indeed, but I think that the italian translation is awfull :tai:

Saphire 15-02-2007 05:49 PM

The last book I read not long ago was one by Iori Fujiwara called "Te No Hira No Yami", which means translated something like "Darkness On A Palm". It's just a thriller that appears on a first glance to be simply written but it has something about it that's very captivating and holds the attention until the end.
I would very recommend it to everyone who's interested in Japanese literature :)

Stroggy 15-02-2007 06:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quintopotere @ Feb 15 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]279413[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

I read just one book by Pratchett (Sorcery): it was funny indeed, but I think that the italian translation is awfull :tai: [/b]
You can't translate Pratchett, in fact Pratchett is the reason I switched from reading in Dutch (translation) to English. I haven't read a Dutch novel since (safe when I had to for school, and the stuff they had me read for school was so terrible I never wanted to touch a Dutch book again).

Japo 16-02-2007 11:15 AM

From quite some years on I rarely read novels, so just to throw something not narrative into discussion I'll say the last book I read was Road to Serfdom, by Friedrich A. Hayek. (Well I actually read Epitoma rei militaris by Flavius Vegetius Renatus after that, but its interest is more limited. Both were a birthday present.) Road to Serfdom is not a long book and very interesting in my opinion, but if you want some non-narrative long reading, and are or could be interested in anthropology even as a dilettante, and don't mid about early XXth century fogey english or actually enjoy it, I'll always recommend The Golden Bough by Sir James G. Frazer.

As for narrative, I enjoyed things like Moby Dick and Shakespeare's works. His plays are not only good artistically, they're full of a deep understanding of human nature, at least so it seems to me. I also enjoy historic novels if they're good, I've read all novels by Robert Graves and my favourites are I, Claudius, The Story of Marie Powell: Wife to Mr. Milton, The Golden Fleece, The Islands of Unwisdom.

The current time is 04:48 AM (GMT)