Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Tech Corner (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Your Combination Of Pc Protection... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=15271)

jg007 30-08-2007 07:10 PM

the dos command ' netstat -b -v -a ' is good for that also although i'm not too sure how well it works for those sneaky trojan's :), it also only shows the ip's

STFM 31-08-2007 01:25 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Aug 30 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]307680[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Aug 30 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]307660[/snapback]
Quote:

Hardware firewall + firefox + HijackThis. That is all.
[/b]

wow you are almost wide open. Hardware firewall isn't really any good.
[/b][/quote]

Funny, good enough for all the banks I contract for

Luchsen 31-08-2007 01:39 AM

Avira AntiVir (I thought I have Norton AntiVirus :blink: )
Check Point ZoneAlarm Pro

Icewolf 31-08-2007 07:46 AM

:tai: Doon't. Uuuse. NOOOOOORTOOOOON!!!! :titan:

Norton is such a crap and they really ask for money to let you use their services and spam your harddisk and upload it to the international "scan-for-private-stuff"-server! :omg2:
OK the last statement isn't true... ;)

gregor 31-08-2007 08:50 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Aug 31 2007, 01:25 AM) [snapback]307896[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Aug 30 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]307680[/snapback]
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Aug 30 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]307660[/snapback]
Quote:

Hardware firewall + firefox + HijackThis. That is all.
[/b]

wow you are almost wide open. Hardware firewall isn't really any good.
[/b][/quote]

Funny, good enough for all the banks I contract for
[/b][/quote]

what good is firewall if you get a worm? i once got it and it kept on mutliplying itself. as soon as i did a virus scan files were found and removed, but in the mean time new were made. finnally i got it off when i found a programme on the net.

another time i seen firewall alone to fail was at work. with some sophicsticated firewalls and antivirus programes, some malware attached to my computer (still have no idea how) and started to pop up nasty pr0n sites. they cleaned it afterwards, by locating the source and deleting it.

so i think one still needs virus protection programme.

especially if you are sharing :D

doublejack 31-08-2007 09:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David86 @ Aug 25 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]306627[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Linux-Ubuntu :whistling:
[/b]
+1.

Viruses? PC protection?!? Who worries about that anymore? :ph34r:

ianfreddie07 01-09-2007 06:33 AM

I do. Any objections?

Japo 01-09-2007 12:00 PM

For security questions I like to resort to Comodo's forums. Of course there are many other good non-affiliated security forums, but I just went there to get help for their firewall. And they happen to be specially helpful and if you ask about their products even the company's CEO is likely to answer, :blink: and the boards are very nicely made. In the stickies you'll find info about multi-layered security and hardware and software firewalls.

STFM 04-09-2007 01:16 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Aug 31 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]307940[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

what good is firewall if you get a worm? i once got it and it kept on mutliplying itself. as soon as i did a virus scan files were found and removed, but in the mean time new were made. finnally i got it off when i found a programme on the net.

another time i seen firewall alone to fail was at work. with some sophicsticated firewalls and antivirus programes, some malware attached to my computer (still have no idea how) and started to pop up nasty pr0n sites. they cleaned it afterwards, by locating the source and deleting it.

so i think one still needs virus protection programme.

especially if you are sharing :D
[/b]
You get a worm for one of two reasons.
1. Someone finds a way into your system and plants the worm
2. A user on the inside runs software that is infected

Hardware firewalls stop number 1, I stop number 2 by not running things I dont trust. My email is scanned by my ISP too.
If someone really wanted to hack my computer Im sure they could. I dont have a static IP and only have ports 80, 443 and a few other mapped ports open. I keep my windows security updates current and use firefox. I use a dedicated VM server for all external things like chat clients so if it does get infected, I just delete it and start clean :)

Since I started using the hardware firewall and firefox, I havent had any spyware whereas before it was ridiculous! I probably should run an antivirus though.

gregor 04-09-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

I use a dedicated VM server for all external things like chat clients so if it does get infected, I just delete it and start clean :)
[/b]

Ah well now, that explains a lot...

The only hardware firewall i have enabled is the one on router. still have the software one though. because the ISP i use is having really a bad network. Plus the person using the other computer in network is not really that much computer literate. so i use software firewall to prevent anything unwanted being started from that side. :D

and it's additional protection.

The current time is 06:03 PM (GMT)