Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hate About Controllers (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=7555)

auhsor 11-10-2005 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 11 2005, 06:01 AM
When Gamecube controlers glitch.
Sometimes if you press buttons while the game loads, the game will think that you're holding the control stick down or up or to the side or in some other direction the whole time.
It's very annoying, as you have to reset the system before you can play the game properly.

If I remember correctly, this happens with any console. At least it used to on the N64. There is a way to fix it in game by holding down a combination of buttons.... Ah good old wikipedia: "hold down X, Y and start/ pause for three seconds".

Quintopotere 11-10-2005 11:50 AM

I dislike so much the controllers with too many buttons! :not_ok:

Two or three buttons could be just enough...

efthimios 11-10-2005 12:02 PM

Most people will propably not remember this one, but at first the controllers (in the arcades mainly) had the stick/movement set for the right hand and the buttons/fire set for the left hand. At one point it was changed on purpose to (IIRC) make them more difficult (among other reasons). It all happened in such a scale that many people (even those that are old enough) don't remember much of the change.
So, to make my point, I hate that (where applicable of course) the controllers, mainly in the arcades but also joypads and "arcade" joysticks are build in this "new" way. Even after all these years I still find it very uncomfortable to use such controllers. Meaning like ALL joypads, that have the movement to the left and fire buttons to the right, plus arcade machines. I was kind of upset when a few years ago a company started creating these controllers replicas of arcade machines (I am sure you have seen some of their ads) for a bit high price and of course in the twisted way I mentioned before.
Is it too much to ask for one controller as they were made in the beginning?

And, no, I am not a left handed (someone asked me this once on a similar topic). If you don't believe me/remember then if you spend some good time researching it there might still be a couple of sites siting the truth. No, I don't have any links anymore.

So, I voted for the last "other" :D

Xikarita 11-10-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Quintopotere@Oct 11 2005, 12:50 PM

Don't play Xbox games then :D

Quintopotere 11-10-2005 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xikarita+Oct 11 2005, 04:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xikarita @ Oct 11 2005, 04:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Quintopotere@Oct 11 2005, 12:50 PM

Don't play Xbox games then :D [/b][/quote]
In fact I haven't bought a console since the Playstation came out! :bleh:

Blood-Pigggy 11-10-2005 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by efthimios@Oct 11 2005, 07:02 AM
Most people will propably not remember this one, but at first the controllers (in the arcades mainly) had the stick/movement set for the right hand and the buttons/fire set for the left hand. At one point it was changed on purpose to (IIRC) make them more difficult (among other reasons). It all happened in such a scale that many people (even those that are old enough) don't remember much of the change.
So, to make my point, I hate that (where applicable of course) the controllers, mainly in the arcades but also joypads and "arcade" joysticks are build in this "new" way. Even after all these years I still find it very uncomfortable to use such controllers. Meaning like ALL joypads, that have the movement to the left and fire buttons to the right, plus arcade machines. I was kind of upset when a few years ago a company started creating these controllers replicas of arcade machines (I am sure you have seen some of their ads) for a bit high price and of course in the twisted way I mentioned before.
Is it too much to ask for one controller as they were made in the beginning?

And, no, I am not a left handed (someone asked me this once on a similar topic). If you don't believe me/remember then if you spend some good time researching it there might still be a couple of sites siting the truth. No, I don't have any links anymore.

So, I voted for the last "other" :D

Controllers are ridiculously easy to use, which is one of their draws, a few minutes with a control you are unfamilair with will soon teach you to use it perfectly.
This is... unless you have poor hand-eye coordination.

As games grow, we need more buttons, imagine this.
A game with about 4 different kind of menus/interaction.
Now imagine having to cycle through those actions with two buttons, that would be supremely annoying.

In order to have simpler controls we'll need simpler games.

But I did like those old buttons they had on the age old machines, except for Defender, that had about 6-10 buttons or something.

SupSuper 11-10-2005 07:32 PM

I miss the days when all you needed was a joystick with a fire button :(

efthimios 11-10-2005 07:32 PM

I never mentioned that we should go back to having 1 or 2 buttons on the controllers.

Your points are valid up to a point, but, I have a hard time seeing them as a kind of reply or even rebutal to what I said earlier.

Blood-Pigggy 11-10-2005 07:36 PM

Mmm, I thought the point of your post was that you liked simple controllers more.
Whatever though.

Oh wait, I was replying to the "Is it too much to ask for a controller like they had in the beggining?"

efthimios 11-10-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Oct 11 2005, 07:36 PM
Mmm, I thought the point of your post was that you liked simple controllers more.
Whatever though.

Oh wait, I was replying to the "Is it too much to ask for a controller like they had in the beggining?"

Well then, it looks like you might have not read my whole post correctly. :-p

I was talking about having the fire buttons on the left side than the right side. Not on having a 1-2 button joypads.

The current time is 01:01 AM (GMT)