Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Games Discussion (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Doom 2 - Hell On Earth (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=5101)

efthimios 22-05-2005 01:29 AM

Oh man I remember the most scary part (for me) was in that level that you started in a room with many columns and if you walked straight ahead you would reach an elevator (open one) which would go down to a relatively open yard with something like a river on the left side, a big platform on the right with some power ups or something, and as soon as you would take those the huge ceiling would collapse, and several big aliens would appear from all sides and from the top firing at you. Great moment and very very scary for me at the time, not for the monsters or anything, I still can't explain it but it had something to do with the design of that part of the level, yes strange.

Another favourite of mine was when you would fight between what felt like factories or something, very nice. Oh, and that one where there were werehouses full of dead people, or more accurately bones of people, excellent.

BeefontheBone 22-05-2005 10:10 AM

I hated that level - it epitomised what annoyed me about Doom after a while. I'd give Doom 2 a 3 as well - it was what Doom wanted to be but it lost the edge and newness that Doom had, and they started to run into the limits of the engine - some of those levels where they were trying to push it exposed the flaws in it in my opinion, though that's probably more true with hindsight than it was at the time.

Bergamini 25-06-2005 12:34 AM

I bought the Doom Collector's Edition. Fantastic package, including Ultimate Doom (Doom 1), Doom 2, and Final Doom (Doom 3?).

The only thing that disappointed me was the fact it only runs in older Windows systems. Well, it runs on XP, but with no USB mouse support. For my luck, there are ports like zDoom that allows playing with the mouse.

I wanted to play on original MS-DOS, since it was made for it, but we can't get everything we want... At least I'm happy with the port.

Kearnsy 25-06-2005 11:23 AM

The first didnt have a secret Wolfenstien Level thought.
Cant remember where itis but is there.

Gamefreak 25-06-2005 11:47 AM

The secret Wolfenstein levels are in Doom 2 and are accessible from one of the levels there. The second secret level is accessible from the first.

DakaSha 02-07-2005 06:19 PM

if you want to see the wolfenstein level use the -warp commandline thingie and go to level 32(i think... could be level 31)

WildZeppelin 03-07-2005 04:53 AM

Dark Forces (the original) was the best FPS at that time, IMO. It's a shame LA lost it after that.

Bobbin Threadbare 04-07-2005 01:44 PM

Dude, I totally agree with you. Doom 2 is great aswell. Doom 3 has incredibly life-like graphics. It's exellent for people who are looking for a shotter with great graphics. You need a pretty top-notch PC to play it though. Hehe, I'm using Win95 (the smart way to go).

Guest 15-07-2005 12:24 AM

Anyone here ever go to the following websites?

www.doomworld.com
www.zdoom.org

They have Source Ports which can do all sorts of cool things. DOOM is still very popular. Also, there are many many more levels than just those 32 in DOOM 2.

Guest 15-07-2005 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DakaSha@Jul 2 2005, 06:19 PM
if you want to see the wolfenstein level use the -warp commandline thingie and go to level 32(i think... could be level 31)
Wolfenstein is level 31 and Grosse is level 32

These levels are not in the German version due to the Nazi Symbols and the SS Guards.

The current time is 12:00 PM (GMT)