Forums

Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/index.php)
-   Blah, blah, blah... (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fallout 3 pirated already (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=18015)

Panthro 09-10-2008 08:59 PM

I don't mind the CD-check things that I can easily get a no-cd fix for, but I object to paying for something and having to download a workable copy. Apart from the dubious legality of downloading a pirated copy even if you have a retail copy, I'd rather avoid buying it and playing it altogether, hoping that enough people will do the same and they will get the idea that offensive DRM doesn't work.

In my opinion, since this episode shows that its not just PC versions that can get put up on the web, and that the version wasn't even released yet, it should indicate to everyone that DRM is entirely ineffective, especially as r.u.s.s. says, everything can be cracked.

Unfortunately, some companies will take the opposite line, and continue with restricted use software as with Bioshock and Spore.

Eagle of Fire 09-10-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

I don't mind the CD-check things that I can easily get a no-cd fix for, but I object to paying for something and having to download a workable copy. Apart from the dubious legality of downloading a pirated copy even if you have a retail copy, I'd rather avoid buying it and playing it altogether, hoping that enough people will do the same and they will get the idea that offensive DRM doesn't work.
Same here. For crying it out loud, if I have to pay a stupid copy protection scheme which prevent me to install the damn game more than three time than I won't want to pay more than 10$ for that load of crap!

A shame it have to happen to a game which (everybody hope) is so good...

Talin 11-10-2008 11:50 PM

i was waiting for this news to appear, but for PC's.

funny that they dont control their software harder, making it impossible for "developers relative" or whoever to get their hands on it and taking it outside of the offices.

gufu1992 11-10-2008 11:54 PM

There is the reason why people pirate it.
Beside, what are the positives of NOT pirating, though?

Panthro 12-10-2008 12:32 AM

The positive of not pirating is that the company makes more money, gets more accurate ownership figures, so they alter the games they produce accordingly.

Several game designers, including Black Isle Studios, a personal favourite of mine, went under because they were'nt profitable enough. If half the people that pirated their games had paid instead, then maybe, just maybe, that wouldn't have happened.

Although in one or two cases they don't help their case by releasing poor or buggy products. Fallout 2 is a favourite of mine, but the original release was buggy as hell. Quest for Glory 3+4 also have their bugs, although thankfully there are fan patches now.

gufu1992 12-10-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthro (Post 339689)
The positive of not pirating is that the company makes more money, gets more accurate ownership figures, so they alter the games they produce accordingly.

I mean, I don't see how it would aid me if I bought the game, if instead would pirate it.

_r.u.s.s. 12-10-2008 01:19 AM

aid you? what? you completely miss the point. did you like the game? would you like to show the makers that you liked it? do you wanna makers to make some more?

Bobbin Threadbare 12-10-2008 02:14 AM

Too bad my computer is too crappy to run Fallout 3.

Playbahnosh 12-10-2008 04:23 AM

meh...they should've leaked the PC version...

It's not fair. Console players always get to play the good games sooner... and now even pirate leaks too? Damn... Consoles even stole piracy from PC gamers, that's just not right...

gufu1992 12-10-2008 05:15 AM

You know, you can just use an emulator. :/
But seriously - I don't care much for company, only for their product. And patches (hacked patches, hah!).

The current time is 09:25 PM (GMT)