PDA

View Full Version : Zool 2

Kosta
11-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available) (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/67)

jbergstrom
13-08-2004, 03:22 PM
You mentioned it would be hell trying to run Zool 2 on a modern computer. I however had no problems; when I ran it with VDMS, the game crashed right away to a divide overflow, but it ran just fine in DosBox! :D

The game was a little bit too fast for starters, but as I switched on the sound it became just OK.

punch999
10-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Dosbox doesnt count as windows

Das Ei
11-08-2005, 08:23 AM
This game isn't good, first off, the enemies are everywhere, and you can't see them cos of the background,´and this game is boring...

Jartza82
20-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Played this game alot when i was kid with amiga 500.
Offtopic i know but what was same kind of aracade adventure with little bird?

A. J. Raffles
20-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Jartza82@Oct 20 2005, 04:26 PM
Played this game alot when i was kid with amiga 500.
Offtopic i know but what was same kind of aracade adventure with little bird?
I suppose you'd better make a topic called "Zool-like arcade game featuring a little bird" or something like that in the 'favourites' forum; that'll increase your chances of somebody recognising the game...

id6490
15-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Zool2 runs fine with "divefix". I played it on a 2.8Ghz machine without problems.
The problem comes from Borland's Turbo Pascal delay procedure.

divefix available on
http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/54/26.html

more info about Borland's fail on (and how to fix)
http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal/runerr200/
http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pa...ad.html#TpPatch (http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal/runerr200/download.html#TpPatch)

Good luck!!! :) :bye:

RedHeadSebbe
27-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I get the protection screen....Isn´t that removed? :blink:

Tulac
27-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Try pressing enter or space and see what happens ;)

RedHeadSebbe
29-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Tulac@Nov 27 2005, 01:43 PM
Try pressing enter or space and see what happens ;)
I tried.....I´t reloaded again......Then I did it again, and it jumped out :blink:

Tulac
29-11-2005, 12:26 PM
I'll download the archive tommorow and see what's wrong (and ofcourse remind myself of my childhood :) )...

RedHeadSebbe
30-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Tulac@Nov 29 2005, 02:26 PM
I'll download the archive tommorow and see what's wrong (and ofcourse remind myself of my childhood :) )...
I fixed it, I mixed up the real map with the downloaded (Yes, I had the original installed :bleh: )

JoNas
22-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Hello! for fast computer problem decrease the virtual machine frequency (MHZ) in the dosbox.conf file. It works just fine!

Cherryroms (http://www.cherryroms.com)

Icewolf
22-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Zool rocks! :Brain: I played it hours and hours on the Amiga! One of my favourite Jump'N'Runs. But I have to admit that it's pretty hard.

AmiFan
05-07-2006, 09:50 PM
The best way to play Zool2 is to install WinUAE (Amiga-Emu) and download Zool2 from back2roots.org as amiga-game ;-)

heyu
07-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Jartza82 do you mean J J Squawkers?

10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Zool 2 is a truly brilliant side scroller, if you cannot get the Dos version of the game working through DosBox, i reccomend downloading an amiga jaguar emulator and downloading it from romworld. The jaguar version of the game allows you to play the music and the sound fx of the game at the same time. Oh yeah and zool 2 isnt a difficult game, your all noobs :P - it can be completed in hard mode in under an hour ^^

Neikius
20-09-2006, 02:59 PM
hm, well, I had Zool2 on a CD - but - it always crashed with stack overflow iirc. That was back then on my ol' 486... Dunno, anyone else having similar problems?

works in dosbox tho albeit slow

The Fifth Horseman
21-09-2006, 02:42 PM
If it's slow in DosBox, try and increase the cycle number DosBox is running at.

Cr4sh
01-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Well, I also played the game before, and now i have the same problem as once: in the 4 level, the game crashes, when I touch the thing that looks like a neon zube. does anybody know what i do wrong?

30-05-2007, 09:20 PM
a great game on the Amiga but this pc version is awfull compared!.

DrJones
09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe it's time this review was re-done? No mention of the awesome music, intro or that the female character's name is Zooza. And of course the various mentions that this game runs fine in Dosbox.

Romano
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Maybe it's time this review was re-done? No mention of the awesome music, intro or that the female character's name is Zooza. And of course the various mentions that this game runs fine in Dosbox.

Go-ahead :D

Straitjacket
12-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I remember this game (and the others)! I had on the Amiga...

Does anyone remember a similar game, also on the Amiga (which I possibly only had as a demo) which featured a small green animal (I would say a hedgehog but then that makes it sound like Sonic rip off, which it probably was anyway :p) running round platforming and whatnot?

(It wasn't Jazz Jackrabbit...)

_r.u.s.s.
12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
you could have played lion king with night vision goggles

Straitjacket
12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Then I blame Sam Fisher!

The Fifth Horseman
12-04-2008, 11:19 PM
There was some platform game with a frog in it. What was the name, I don't know.

_r.u.s.s.
13-04-2008, 12:50 AM
actually i have accidentaly bumped in to this game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elc4vzkI0Co)
(watch further, he changes in to a frog)

btw the image of sam fisher in his night goggles playng sonic the hedgehog is pretty hillarious

Frodo
13-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Does anyone remember a similar game, also on the Amiga (which I possibly only had as a demo) which featured a small green animal (I would say a hedgehog but then that makes it sound like Sonic rip off, which it probably was anyway :p) running round platforming and whatnot?

Could it be SuperFrog? http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/superfrog/screenshots :)

Capo
15-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Is Supefrog for sure

Pete72
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Dosbox doesnt count as windows

Nevertheless, the reviewer did state that

Emulators such as DOSbox or virtual machines like VMware can't do any good either

The Fifth Horseman
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, yes, but that was written in 2004. There have been several updates of DOSBox since then, improving compatibility with many games by leaps and bounds.

Luchsen
09-04-2009, 12:49 PM
According to DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=715) Zool 2 is fully supported since DOSBox 0.65.

Ohne Mitleid
26-01-2011, 03:50 AM
It doesn't appear this has been touched upon in a while, but that's what Abandonia is supposed to be about, keeping the games alive!

There was an earlier post (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showpost.php?p=251221&postcount=20) mentioning a game crash in level four. This confused me because the game crashes during Level 2, Stage 1. Then it dawned on me. Each Level has three stages so if you count each new session / section, this would be four.

The download on the Zool 2 page does lock up as was indicated. The CloneCD in the ISO Cellar does not. I really think this game is worth playing, especially with the additional animated scenes that are available with the CloneCD version. The copy protection bypass is also very well done; no copy protection screen is displayed requiring a keypress or other pass-code entry. If you didn't know the protection scheme was supposed to be there, you would never know that it isn't.

To get Zool 2 up and running, download the compressed file, unpack the contents to a hard drive directory of your choice and imgmount the directory. NOTE: DOSBox must be configured for vgaonly and set to a number cycles no greater than 2600 (approx.). The number cycles in excess of this setting messes up animation display, although the gameplay still functions 100%.

I like this game quite a bit and I have just become acquainted with it. It may seem boring to some, but I consider easy games to be boring. It may be too hard for others, but I consider the difficulty a challenge. It may also be considered too quickly paced, but I love to hone multi-tasking data tracking skills. When you're watching the clock, the percentage of the goal you have achieved, the direction of the exit and trying to keep your speed demon character from making a wrong move or getting clobbered by a multitude of enemies? Sounds like fun to me!!

Back to the little heroes. I haven't decided if I like Zool or Zooz better yet.
Ohne

KillerBoy
21-12-2012, 02:24 AM
I don't understand something in the readme file: "The virtual CD-Rom drive is
necessary to make the game respond to a virtual drive as though it were an actual physical drive.
This bypasses the CD-Rom protection. The game can also be played by starting ZOOL2.EXE directly from
the virtual drive instead of the ZOOl2.BAT file."

Is this telling me that I must have a real cd-rom, which I don't have, to run the game?
I'm sorry, it's hard to me to understand some English "words".
Can someone explain me?

zirkoni
21-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Is this telling me that I must have a real cd-rom, which I don't have, to run the game?
I'm sorry, it's hard to me to understand some English "words".
Can someone explain me?
No, you don't need a real CD-ROM drive. Mount the game directory as cd-rom drive E:\ in DOSBox.

mount e x:\path\zool2 -t cdrom

juicy boy
17-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Is there any cheat that allows you to be invulnerable? How can I use it?
Egypt levels are a pain in the ass

cornalito
14-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Hi! I'm having troubles, when I enter to dosbox it says this:

"Loading Zool 2...
Illegal command: E:/ZOOL2.

ok, I put all the command lines that the readme says:

machine=vgaonly
cycles=2600

mount e C:\Zool2 -t CDRom
mount c C:\Zool2
C:
Zool2.BAT

this what I exactly typed... as I remember, in my other computer it worked fine. I'm using Windows 7 in my laptop. Can anyone help me plzzzzz???

zirkoni
15-01-2014, 07:09 AM
mount e C:\Zool2 -t CDRom
C:
Zool2.BAT

this what I exactly typed...
The cdrom parameter is case sensitive:

mount e C:\Zool2 -t cdrom
C:
Zool2.BAT

net777
25-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Where are the firebutton?

zirkoni
27-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Where are the firebutton?
I don't remember what the default settings are but if you press the "Esc" key you get a menu where you can check & re-define the keys.