PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Dosbox

Gary
11-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Sorry now but i'm not the most gifted with computers but i'm having a problem trying to install and configure the DOSBox download.
I've tried to follow the tutorial to the best of my abilities! I have configured as told in Notepad(ok i put the CD rom drive as E as thats the letter that appears before it). I did this and saved it. The problem starts with the basic DOS commands. When I open up DOSBox, instead of the black box with c:\> in the top left corner, I get two black boxes, one of which has z:\> and the other is titled DOSBox Status Window. When I type in dir, I get about 11 lines and under it is z:\> again and I can't do anything else after that....
Please help if you can, I was really looking forward to play some classic old school games!!

Thank you!

Eagle of Fire
12-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Just type

mount c c:\
c:

And you should have access to your whole C: hard drive.

#BlakhOle#
12-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Apr 12 2006, 04:19 AM
And you should have access to your whole C: hard drive.
Hey dont you just have access to the CDrive folder in the DOS folder which is in the, err, C drive? :blink:

Eagle of Fire
12-04-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here Blackhole.

I do what I typed above everytime I use DOSBox and it work fine.

Rogue
12-04-2006, 09:14 AM
@Garry - can you post bottom of your configure file?

WHat folders did you use while installing dosbox? (eg. C:\DOS, C:\DOS\CDrive etc.)

@EOF - Garry was following tutorial to setup paths and working dir in config file.

@#BlakhOle# - you right, if you follow tutorial, you should see what's inside CDrive folder under DOS folder on your drive. This way you don't see system or any other folders as in EOF example, which will work too, but requires then more typing to find the game.

#BlakhOle#
12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Anubis@Apr 12 2006, 09:14 AM
you right, if you follow tutorial, you should see what's inside CDrive folder under DOS folder on your drive. This way you don't see system or any other folders as in EOF example, which will work too, but requires then more typing to find the game.
Yeah i thought so. Sorry EOF, Just that what you said made me wonder if i'd done something wrong at the start. ^_^

17-04-2006, 06:25 PM
ok thank you all for your help but when i tried to write 'mount c c:\' it said that it was NOT recommend and that i should mount a (sub)directory. C drive is mounted as a local directory c:\

And it was written in RED.... :blink: !!!!

17-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Anubis: how do i post bottom of your configure file?
Big time lay man here :D

BeefontheBone
17-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Apr 17 2006, 07:25 PM
ok thank you all for your help but when i tried to write 'mount c c:\' it said that it was NOT recommend and that i should mount a (sub)directory. C drive is mounted as a local directory c:\

And it was written in RED.... :blink: !!!!
Yup, that's because it's easy to accidentally delete/modify system files if you mount the whole drive. What you need to do is create a directory somewhere which you want to be treated as your C: drive in DOSBox - for example, mine is C:\DOSProgs\ - and mount that folder as your cdrive using command:

mount c <your folder>

In my case, it's

mount c c:\DOSProgs

Then use

c:

to switch to that folder as your working folder.