PDA

View Full Version : Albion Cd Problem

Topper
28-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi I can't get Albion which I downloaded from this site to work. It keeps asking me to put in a cd.

Before a million people sceam 'use the search function', I already have, I've read all the albion posts and none of them have solved my problem, so I'd love it if someone could give me some advice.

I am running winxp and am using dosbox 0.63

I have followed the instructions for setting up dosbox found here:
http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=setting&FAQ=1 to the letter.

I have downloaded albion and unzipped it so that it is in the directory c:\dos\cdrive\albion

I have run the setup program and installed it.

when i start dosbox this is exactly what I type:

cd albion
main.exe

this tries to start the game and then says I need a cd.

I have tried all the advice about mounting the d drive I found. I typed:

mount d c:\dos\cdrive\albion\cd

dos box then confirms that d drive is mounted as local drive c:\dos\cdrive\albion\cd

I then type cd albion, main to launch it and the same problem occurs.

Any advice would be appreciated

Data
28-02-2006, 07:35 PM
mount d c:\dos\cdrive\albion\cd -t cdrom

28-02-2006, 08:21 PM
I tried it, that didn't work either - any other suggestions?

Eagle of Fire
01-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm downloading Albion myself right now and I'll try to make it work on my computer. Once it is done I'll let you know my results.

Reup
01-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Mmm.. I downloaded it just now, extracted it to my dosgames folder and ran it. No problems there. I did not have to mount a cd-rom or anyting.

Try starting the game with albion.bat (that's what I did anyway).

Another thing: which version of DosBOX did you use? 0.63 or a CVS-version?

Eagle of Fire
01-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I encoutered the same CD problem. Here is how I fixed it:

I ran setup.exe and changed the sound setting to Soundblaster or 100% compatible for the first option and Soundblaster or Awe16 (or something like that, the first option) for the second option.

Then I ran albion.bat and everything worked fine. Had to work up the cycles quite a bit to get the game playing fine tough, so if you have a slow computer you might have a little problem running the game at full speed.

Reup
01-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Yeah. It could be sound related. If you set it up to run with no sound and it work fine afterwards, you'd know if this was the case!

Also. At 9500 cycles it ran perfect on my machine.

Eagle of Fire
01-03-2006, 10:08 AM
9500 cycles is already pretty high, I'm pretty sure I ran the game higher than that. At least over the 10000 cycles.

But as usual that mean nothing, since cycles are machine dependant. The power of the machine is what is important here, and I have a 2 gigahertz machine.

Icewolf
01-03-2006, 10:46 AM
How many times will there be problems with the Albion CD over and over again?! :blink:

Topper
01-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I've changed it to no sound in setup and I still get exactly the same problem.

Eagle of Fire
01-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Did you try to change the sound to what I said above? Also, running Albion.bat might be pretty important.

Topper
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Yep Eagle of Fire I've tried both those things, still the same problem.

Eagle of Fire
01-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Well I just can't reproduce the problem on my side. It worked great on my computer.

Ixltixl
05-01-2016, 11:06 PM
(this is years old, but anyhow: )

you have to mount the "cd" before installing the game. Then it should run fine.

(there should be an ALBION-directory on the "cd", from where you can install the game)

have fun