PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic

tomf
10-02-2006, 05:18 AM
Hey could someone please tell me if there is a free programing tool that uses the visual basic language. My brother wants to write a program in vb but can not afford it

LZW
10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
This information is intentionally vague as to fly under the radar of those companies who are hired by other companies to enforce intelectual property rights on software they no longer sell or support. (and sometimes will not even admit that they ever did)

for windows, borland delphi (visual object pascal) is a similar object orientated programming system (oops) that an older version of can be downloaded from their site for free if you register online. (to get the download link) It is a little more complex and that requires creating more structured code but it creates standalone exe's so no vbrun.dll is required in your distributions.

Here is an example of delphi code used to find NFO files in a folder and show them:

var launch:pchar;
begin
*txt:=DirectoryListBox1.Directory+StringGrid1.Cell s[StringGrid1.Col,StringGrid1.Row];
*findfirst(txt+'\*.nfo',faanyfile,sr);
*txt:='notepad.exe '+txt+'\'+sr.Name;
*launch:=stralloc(length(txt));
*strpcopy(launch,txt);
*winexec(launch,sw_show);
*findclose(sr);
end;

Edited by The Niles. We do not support warez!

Rogue
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Or just learn Java and use Eclipse. :D

Oh, you can learn C++ also, and use Eclipse again. :ok:

chickenman
11-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition, it's free from Microsoft.

tomf
13-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Ok thanks but how do I get it I went to the Borland Delphi website but I could not find it

chickenman
13-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Get Visual studio 2005 Express Edition, it's the best tool for VB programming, and it's free for a limited time only !

Reup
13-02-2006, 09:37 AM
I've got little experience in VB, but how about this:

Originally posted by SharpDevelop Website
#develop (short for SharpDevelop) is a free IDE for C# and VB.NET projects on Microsoft's .NET platform. It is open-source...

SharpDevelop (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/)

Rogue
13-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Looks nice....

Will try it.

tomf
14-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks and the reason I am not useing the VB from microsoft is cause in neads sp2 and my mum is worried about her files gett ruined

punch999
05-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Sp2 won't bloody ruin her files. It is a bad service pack I must say but the odds are you will have to get it anyway and you won't notice any differences.

chickenman
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Backup the files...

punch999
05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Paranoia is what seperates a nerd from a average person when using the computer. She probobly won't even notice if you get it anyway.