PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Kosta
29-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available) (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/228)

Kon-Tiki
29-09-2004, 01:50 AM
Oooh, I know this one. Too zany to play with logical thinking. Used a walkthrough with it or wouldn't've made it out of the first room :huh:

Stroggy
29-09-2004, 06:23 AM
sounds like an Interactive Fiction game I'd enjoy.
I'll play it once I return from the terrible day that awaits me :(

Zor
29-09-2004, 09:09 AM
I tried to download it but all that was there was a .z5 file? What is this? How do I use it?

I'm I hardcore HGTTG fan and would love to play this.

Oh BTW, have you guys seen this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

-Cheers, Zor.

aaberg
29-09-2004, 09:38 AM
When I download it, I get an ordinary zip file. Try to download it again, and if that doesn't work, rename it to whatever.zip, and try to unpack it.

And yes, the link to the online version of the game has been posted in the forum earlier. It's great :ok:

Hope it helped B)

Desi
29-09-2004, 10:38 AM
.z5 is a WinFrotz format. You'll need to download WinFrotz from the Programs section and use that to open it. It's much better than playing it on straight DOS because you have more options etc.

WinFrotz can also open any text adventure games that come in .dat format, so remember that just in case some .dats are uploaded here.

This is one of those games that succeeds in being funny the whole way through.

aaberg
29-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Hmm.. Looks like I misunderstood the question. <_< :blink:

BlackMageJawa
29-09-2004, 04:02 PM
H2G2 is by DOUGLAS Adams. Scott Adams is the guy who does Dilbert.

Still, nice to have the original version of the game. I'll have to try and see if I can find this alleged new content in the 20th Anniversary Edition by comparing the two.

Eagle of Fire
29-09-2004, 11:09 PM
>Play game
This is not a game - it's a picture of a game.

>get real game
You need flash to play this game, but it doesn't look like you have it installed.

>consult guide about flash
The Guide check through it's Sub-Etha-Net database and eventually comes up with the following entry:

Macromedia Flash allows your browser to play animations and games.

>get flash
No way. <_<

FordPrefect
26-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Dont Panic!

help
04-03-2005, 08:14 PM
i need to get past the beast

i go to the outer layer

put the towel on my head

carve my name in the memorial with the stone

and after that no matter what i die!

saladan0
17-03-2005, 08:19 PM
question about this game. i downloaded it and unzipped it and got one of those prgrams that when you click it a message comes up that you need to manually access it from something, you guys talked about WinFrotz but i dont know where to download it

17-03-2005, 08:20 PM
oops nvm i downloaded it :P

SerialK
12-04-2005, 10:51 AM
I remember playing this game way back in the day. My sister and I were so heart-broken when we lost the pocket lint that came with the game that we replaced it with a bit of cotton ball from a vitamin jar... I'm pretty sure she still has the don't panic button. I don't think I ever beat it back then. Perhaps it's time for another go at it.

25-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Question, how do I get Winfrotz or whatever it's called? MY computer deosn't recognize the file extension.

Thanks,
Noob

BeefontheBone
25-04-2005, 01:23 PM
As noted IN THE POST THAT MENTIONS WINFROTZ check the programs section.

Cowburn199
26-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Just seen the film (special preview) and it was hilarious!!Love this game its cooooolz

helo220
30-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Do a google for winfrotz

Lord_Scather
13-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Plus, if you read the five-part novel (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy), you get pretty good ideas what actions are expected of you in this game.
helped me a lot when I played the game...actually undusted the novel and read it again while playing....

Never forget your towel........... LOL

Heh. I'm a hobbit, eh?
<-----------

perhaps it is now time for adding a signature *wonders*

TheChosen
21-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I just heard that theyre doing a movie that is based on this book.

JudgeDeadd
21-06-2005, 11:10 AM
They already made one...

TheChosen
21-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Jacek Dobrzyniecki@Jun 21 2005, 11:10 AM
They already made one...
They did???
When did that happen??? :eeeeeh:

....Or wait. Dont tell me(I just noticed).

strangelove
15-08-2005, 02:35 AM
I really enjoyed this when it first came out and have forgotten it just enough to enjoy playing it again. All the best bits of the books are in it and it features the very best puzzle ever to feature in a game. Just try getting that babelfish out of its container and you'll see what I mean. On the downside if you haven't read the books or seen the excellent BBC series, or heard the equally entertaining radio show, then you're probably not going to get far.

That said, if you haven't encountered the hitchikers guide in some form or another you have only yourself to blame and should remedy that situation immediately!

shadok
09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
how to get out the first room b4 those bloody vogon destroyed the earth?

i just manage to open the curtain ^^
switch the light on, and get dressed. (hooo yeah, i m good) :P

Aristharus
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
if i remember correctly, you must eat a painkiller for your headache

MrBackAlleySka
09-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeh, you need an asprin from your coat. Gotta take it out of your coat pocket, then the room will stop spinnin' and you can leave.

Er...Coat, robe, something like that.

SupSuper
09-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by MrBackAlleySka@Sep 9 2005, 09:27 PM
Yeh, you need an asprin from your coat. Gotta take it out of your coat pocket, then the room will stop spinnin' and you can leave.

Er...Coat, robe, something like that.
The word you're looking for is "gown".

MrBackAlleySka
09-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank ya kindly. :D

shadok
09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
how to get out the first room b4 those bloody vogon destroyed the earth?

i just manage to open the curtain ^^
switch the light on, and get dressed. (hooo yeah, i m good) :P

shadok
09-09-2005, 11:11 PM
sorry about my flood, there was a second window ^^.

well, i actually don't manage to take the aspirine out of the pocket.

but i m wearing the dressing gown^^. very strange. what is the command?

looking in my pocket? searching in my pocket?

thank you very much for the help..(great game anyway :P)

10-09-2005, 01:16 AM
i found my answers, i m in the heart of gold right now :)

not using hint is .... hardcore

16-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Zip file only contains hhgg.z3, not sure what to do next. joshudson@gmail.com

16-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Belay that last. Managed to get xzip to compile.

Thornwood
27-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I remember playing this game once... or at least a demo of it taht came with some other games. I managed to get out of the house, but then I got hit by the bulldozer or something. Bottom line, I never got around to finishing it (or really starting it, for that matter), but I remember it even after all these years, and having a surprisingly good time with it considering that I am not of the text-based game era.

whatshisface
12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
heheheh this game is great!! there are so many things to interact with. and i got frustrated at first in the room and so i typed in kill, and it said who and i tryped in myself. guess what it worked!!

kOhm
30-12-2005, 10:14 PM
:help:
help, i'm miserable! i got to the part where I used that sub-etha signaling device (electronic thumb) that Ford dropped and I'm in a dark place, i can feel nothing, hear nothing, see nothing, nor do i know who or where am I. can't solve the riddle. please, please help :cry: i'm miserable :(

swiss
30-12-2005, 11:08 PM
maybe you should try to smell several times and look at the shadows ... :whistle:

SupSuper
31-12-2005, 10:45 PM
If you read the descriptions more carefully, you'd notice not everything is "nothing" ;)

kOhm
09-01-2006, 08:18 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("SupSuper")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If you read the descriptions more carefully, you'd notice not everything is "nothing"* [/b][/quote]
but i can't do nothing to "nothing"!
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("swiss")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>maybe you should try to smell several times and look at the shadows ...* :whistle: [/b][/quote]
yeah, I could try that...

well, anyways, thanks 4 help... c ya

Guest_Chris
03-04-2006, 01:07 AM
okay so I may be a bit older than some of those lurking here, but I actually had this game when it originally was released. I was around 10 years old, and this game blew my mind. I actually threw myself into Adams' books shortly after discovering the game, and then promptly began to enjoy his writing so much I never actually finished playing the game.

So now, I get to give it another go! Thanks!!! :kosta: :Brain: :Brain: :D

KilgorTrout
18-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Here's a link for the strategy guide

Hitchhiker's game guide (http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/Invisiclues/hhgg/index.html)

guesst
18-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Guest_Chris@Apr 3 2006, 01:07 AM
okay so I may be a bit older than some of those lurking here, but I actually had this game when it originally was released. I was around 10 years old, and this game blew my mind. I actually threw myself into Adams' books shortly after discovering the game, and then promptly began to enjoy his writing so much I never actually finished playing the game.

So now, I get to give it another go! Thanks!!! :kosta: :Brain: :Brain: :D
Big Douglas Adams fan. Loved the books. Loved the radio show. Tried very hard to like the movie. (Still trying very hard. At the moment I'm up to "tolerate as a fan work".) I even liked the games. As games they were... wierd. The original came with hints which weren't enough for me. I needed the full out hold me by the hand walkthrough in the end. Put the leads in the tea? Who would have thought about that! Well, obviously My. Adams, but besides him?

Fun stuff, tho.

titaniumdiva
27-06-2006, 02:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KilgorTrout @ Apr 18 2006, 06:19 AM) 223268</div>
Here's a link for the strategy guide

Hitchhiker's game guide (http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/Invisiclues/hhgg/index.html)
[/b]

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

31-07-2006, 12:01 AM
hey i got it in a "DO" file, will someone please just link the online version? /frustrated

The Fifth Horseman
31-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Here it is. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml)

14-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I wasn't around when IFs/text adventures were big, and this was first released (Or at least, I wasn't old enough), but I've been getting into them recently. This is one of the more interesting ones I've played. Thank god I read (and loved) the books, or I'd never have even gotten out of the garden ;) As it is, I haven't gotten out of the pub yet... still, I haven't been playing it long yet.

Anyway, the puzzles are great, but they have been in some ways kind of a surprise, since I didn't realise I was really in the midst of a puzzle- like getting out of the house before a 'dozer crashed through the wall and killed me, or taking the towel from ford before greeting him, and seemingly getting abandoned by him... But it's all good, and funny to boot :)

19-11-2006, 07:45 PM
The game is great, that's for sure, but sometimes I just not have enough time to play the games and that
WinFrotz seems to have no save/load option. Any suggestions how to fix this?

haakjay
07-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Is there anyway i can play this in fullscreen? I like to only see the game im supposed to be 100% into:P

thatmexicanguy
07-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Great text adventure, but fairly difficult!

Geezer
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Here is a link to a helpful website in playing the game.

Hitchhikers Gallery (http://gallery.guetech.org/hhgttg/hhgttg.html).

tomf
01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey really really small thing but the size on the dl page says 111kb but it is 83kb. just thought I might say something

Vinka
25-03-2008, 03:36 PM
The game is great, that's for sure, but sometimes I just not have enough time to play the games and that
WinFrotz seems to have no save/load option. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Type SAVE :p

supercommando
25-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Thank you abandonia!! I remember playing this game many, many hours on our old Apple II GS back in the day with my brother, we spent a loooong time trying to beat it, we'd be able to get to Fords part of the game and get through quite a ways, but always got stuck, then our apple got sold in a yard sale and I've been missing it ever since! It's going to be great playing this again! I have to email my brother to tell him about this.

Alyxboi
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
ok I need to ask because it's been so long since i've played this game. how do I or does it not matter, get the watch from Mr. Prosser? i see it LOL wait offer the lint for it?