PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Sound/saving

Hobbs
23-09-2004, 03:18 AM
HI, I downloaded a couple games from your site and installed them on my computer and the games run fine, but when I setup the sound, or if the game saves options, it can never save them. any idea what the problem could be?

I have an old computer JUST for DOS games as I already own a lot of classics anyway and a dedicated pc is better for me. I dont have any problems like this with games I have installed from thier regular instalation disk, only the ones I dload from here. I am using a 486DX2 66 with Win95 and am using a boot disk to boot into dos. I already have Wing Commander 1, Wing Commander 2 with sound and speech and Wing Commander 3 and WC Privateer, these are some of the most difficult games to get running, but they all run fine with sound and speech (all installed from the original disks). I only have a prob with the ones from here and only with things that have to be saved.

Also the game is on my HD not being run from a CD so that not it :ok:

Thanks in advance!

Kosta
23-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Could you be more specific and name the games in question?

Hobbs
23-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Basically its any game that does not have an installer, if its just the files and you need to run the sound setup, it dosent work. so far I have dloaded Ultima 6, Nascar Racing, and Transport Tycoon. Transport Tycoon actually givesn an error that it cant save the setings the other two appear to save the setting but really dont. Also Nascar Racing gives warnings in the game that it cant save the profils information, race information etc.

FreeFreddy
24-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Are you using Windows XP? And probably NTFS as the file-system too? That's probably the thing. I'm not 100% sure, but think that even with DosBox games cannot save any files on NTFS. You need to convert the file system to FAT32, that could also mean you need to deinstall and reinstall Windows XP during the process.
Probably there're some programs on the internet that can do that without the need to remove anything, though. ;)

Data
24-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Sep 24 2004, 01:32 PM
Are you using Windows XP? And probably NTFS as the file-system too? That's probably the thing. I'm not 100% sure, but think that even with DosBox games cannot save any files on NTFS. You need to convert the file system to FAT32, that could also mean you need to deinstall and reinstall Windows XP during the process.
Probably there're some programs on the internet that can do that without the need to remove anything, though. ;)
dosbox runs fine on ntfs

FreeFreddy
24-09-2004, 02:19 PM
DosBox yes, but are the games running in it able to save files on NTFS-system?

Data
24-09-2004, 02:48 PM
yes. They don't know the underlying system. Dosbox emulates a filesystem the games like.

I run my games myself on a ext3 filesystem :)

Eagle of Fire
24-09-2004, 10:07 PM
I had problems before with games who never wanted to save. The problem been solved when I discovered that the archive flagged the save files as read only :not_ok:

Answer to this problem (on XP): select all the game files, right click on them, then go to properties. Then you should see at the bottom several boxes. Be sure Read only is not Xed. You might want to do this only on the save files (usually on their own directory) or on all the program files and subfolders, at your leizure.

Answer to this problem (on DOS): go to the game directory and type attrib -a *.*

I am not 100% sure about the DOS command because it been an awfull lot of time since I last used DOS... But if you know how to use DOS, you should be fine managing to understand how Attrib works... ;)

Hobbs
25-09-2004, 02:11 AM
No this PC is NOT an XP PC as i noted in my original post it is a 486DX2 with win95, Eagle of Fire - I will check that out and post my findings thanks!

Eagle of Fire
25-09-2004, 04:14 AM
The problem I been describing will happen on any machine, Windows or not.

Oh, and it should be the same procedure for Win95 and Win98, if I remember well. WinXP is only slightly more complicated in it's tabs.

Hobbs
26-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Sep 25 2004, 04:14 AM
The problem I been describing will happen on any machine, Windows or not.

Sorry lol I was refering to FreeFreddys post, - You was right it was the attributes I changed them and now it works.

Thanks a lot! :ok:

Eagle of Fire
26-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Happy to be of some help. ^_^

Madow
02-10-2004, 06:57 AM
I've got lots of sound problems with Pizza Tycoon and Sim Farm :cry: