PDA

View Full Version : Cant Install Pirates Gold

jaime
22-09-2004, 10:48 PM
hey whats up i download like 3 games last night I LOVE THEM LOL!!!!! , but i REAAAAAALLLLLy wanna play pirates gold but it wont insall it directs me to type where i want it to be installed then once i do that it just stops and says insert disc 1 or insert disc then hit enter , thats it!!! am i doin it wrong or something wrong?????

22-09-2004, 10:55 PM
to be exact it says "please insert disc #1 in drive '*' and press enter.....

Kosta
23-09-2004, 11:13 AM
I think you shouldn't try installing it but rather running the executable

FreeFreddy
23-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Yes, it's already in the installed state, just copy the game to a directory, setup sound & music through install.exe and play it (pir.exe or some .bat-files).

Data
23-09-2004, 02:34 PM
when using dosbox don't set memsize higher then 63 mb.(sure)

You might need to set core to full (not sure)

jaime
27-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys it works BUT........................ :cry: now i have another problem now it plays for about 5 minutes then minimized out and a little box saying "this dos program performed illegal something something and will terminate , Blah blah" , then it X's itself out . do i need the dos box or something ..........???

aaberg
27-09-2004, 07:20 PM
It doesn't work in Windows. Install dosbox, which is a dos emulator (You can download it here on abandonia). Run it from there. That should work. I have played Pirates Gold a lot without problems. Great game. :ok: If you have more questions, just ask!.

jaime
27-09-2004, 07:39 PM
i was afraid someone was going to say Dosbox , i had downloaded it a couple of weeks ago , Now im familiar with dos , BUT i dont get how it works , i read the read me , but it really isnt helping me , Can someone tell me how exactly to load the games or however it works ......thanks

Havell
27-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Try this:

Newbie's guide to DOSBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=Basic+Setup+and+Installation+of+Dos Box)

I didn't have a clue about DOS or DOSBox but this helped me get my games running.

aaberg
27-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Yup. start dosbox.

First press Alt-Enter. This will maximize your screen.

In the promth, write: "mount c c:/" (It doesn't have to be backslash, it may also just be a slash, my keyboard can't make a backslash in dosbox.)

now, go to the directory where your game is, like you would normally do in dos, and run the executable file:
cd games
cd pirates
pirates.exe ...Or whatever the filename is.

Return when you have tried this, I would like to hear if you succeeds. :D

Puffin
27-09-2004, 07:47 PM
BTW, not everybody have C as HDD ;)
On one of my computer I have E and F as HDD's...

FreeFreddy
27-09-2004, 07:49 PM
What do you have as C then? :blink:

aaberg
27-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Year sure, I also have a G:/, then I just write "mount c g:/", I just thought it was easyer to explain the other way.

27-09-2004, 08:34 PM
ok , i have a folder just for games , called "games" inside games i have a bunch of different game folders , and i have "pirates gold" folder, i mounted the C: directory , That worked , so it now looks like this
Z:\mount c c:\games
drive c mounted as local directory C:\games\
then i load up c so it looks like this
Z:\C:
C:\>
ok thats all good then i try to type that "CD" command , and i type "cd games" then it says unable to change to : games :(

27-09-2004, 08:43 PM
NEVER MIND IT WORKS i figured it out.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH...............ok ok ok how do i exit when im playing the game because i cant click x , so how do i exit out

jaime
27-09-2004, 08:44 PM
OK final question How do i get it to go faster , the game runs slower

aaberg
27-09-2004, 09:03 PM
You can't figure out how to exit? :huh: well, then you just have to play it all the time :P . As far as I remember, it is by pressing the bed in the cabin of your ship, or something. I would advice you to download a walkthrough or something, if you haven't tried the game before, there are more features, than you should think.

Happy gaming. :D

aaberg
27-09-2004, 09:08 PM
In dosbox you crank up the CPU cycles, by pressing CTRL-F12. Press this a couple of times, and it should help. You can also make frameskips, if the CPU cycles ain't enough, this is done by pressing CTRL-F8.

If you have more questions, I won't answer you until tomorrow. It's time for bed. :yawn: :)

jaime
29-09-2004, 05:47 PM
i dont know , but it still runs pretty slow with the f12 ,or the f8 for example when im Fencing/sword fighting in the game , its SUPer slow , my pc an stuff is fairly new , so i dont know ,

FreeFreddy
29-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Probably you set the music and sound to wrong soundcard? Try playing without sound and music and see if that helps.