PDA

View Full Version : Castle of Dr. Brain

Kosta
11-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/49)

Anonymous
25-05-2004, 06:04 AM
I played this all the time when I was a kid! Really fun game with just lots of little puzzles and stuff.

Anonymous
29-06-2004, 10:50 AM
i was woundering when or if the next game in this series will be coming into avaliblity????

Omuletzu
29-06-2004, 12:40 PM
You mean Island of dr. Brain?
I have it.I can upload it but it's much easier than castle

Anonymous
29-06-2004, 11:54 PM
:( thats a deffonate downer well thanks for the insight i wont keep looking

Tom Henrik
08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
ARGH!

The manual is needed for bypassing the copy-protection!

KOOOOOOSTAAAA!!!!! :wall:

:sniper: :AR: :pissed: :terror: :whipped:

Malchior
09-08-2004, 06:40 AM
HOTU's got the codes you need:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=182

jbergstrom
03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Hm, the page of this game seems to have a little flaw: you can only give the game a rating of 1; the other options are not clickable. :(

jbergstrom
03-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh, sorry, it works now... :D My browser seems to have had some kind of a quirk... I tried to reload, no help. But now it works, so I can give it a 5 :)

Havell
03-09-2004, 07:54 PM
According to HOTU this is an ESA game, so therefore not abandoned. :(

04-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Man I played "Island of Dr. Brain" when I was in About grade 6, And it Was just amazing. the manuel was great, real usseful for school, or for other reference purposes.
Great game for any age, quite fun. It for sure helped me become a smarter person in my life.

wormpaul
23-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Only...why are there so many savegames already there???

FreeFreddy
23-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Someone forgot to clean up before uploading? http://forum.giga.de/forum/images/smilies/irked.gif :P

wormpaul
23-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Damm....some puzzles are pretty though....even for someone of my age :P

wormpaul
24-09-2004, 09:55 AM
Help me Plz...

How can i get the right symbols with my GRID or something...cant find that grid..

wormpaul
24-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Sorry...already found it...

I just need to read better :music:

wormpaul
28-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Ok...sorry 3 post in a row... :ph34r:

But does someone know all the words in the puzzle?? (the 25 words that you can find...)

so far i only came at 12

Opposable
09-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have a electronic copy of the manual for this game? I have looked everywhere for it, even to purchase, with no luck..

Thanks

reply to jotate1@vt.edu

Kosta
09-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Hints and codes placed in the game's extras! Have fun!

Sani
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Please someone tell me where can I get Island of Dr. Brain?

wormpaul
11-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Sani@Oct 11 2004, 05:12 PM
Please someone tell me where can I get Island of Dr. Brain?
Here ya go..

http://www.abandonia.com/game.php?genre=puzzle&ID=224&mark=4

i need help
08-01-2005, 11:52 PM
:help: The code for the clockroom door or the big wooden door at the end of the hallway :hairpull:

Rasmus
20-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by i need help@Jan 9 2005, 12:52 AM
:help: The code for the clockroom door or the big wooden door at the end of the hallway :hairpull:
Yeah.. help plz.. i can't get through the door.. The door and the 3 puzzles in the hallway was easy.. but i can't figure out the door.??? Help PLz

Anna
20-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I can't erase the games that are already saved, and so I can't save my game, because there isn't enough room. Any ideas?

Rasmus
20-02-2005, 10:22 PM
'Hey.. somone plz help..
I haven't got that decoder grid thingy ervyone talks about. does it excist online anware? if not.. culd somone plz help me through the door in the hallway which needsd 3 passwords.?

Tuttle
21-02-2005, 07:35 AM
You can download the decoder grid from the same page where you got the game.

scrubking
25-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Anna@Feb 20 2005, 09:54 PM
I can't erase the games that are already saved, and so I can't save my game, because there isn't enough room. Any ideas?
I can't save my game either no matter what I try. Maybe if I knew where the save game files where I could delete them through windows.

Tuttle
25-02-2005, 06:32 AM
They're the BRAINSG.* files, and they're probably read-only. Select everything in Windows Explorer, right-click | Properties, and make sure that the Read Only box is empty.

Strange Oddysee
27-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Nice going Tuttle :D Now I can finally save!

Minti
31-03-2005, 07:30 AM
I had the saving problem too, but now it's solved. I still have some problems though. I can't get through the first door which asks the codes. Either it crashes the whole computer after giving the first code or crashes the game because of some illegal actions (not sure about the correct term, my windows is not in english) after giving the third code. :wall:

Tuttle
31-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Are you using DOSbox?

Minti
01-04-2005, 03:29 PM
No I'm not. I gotta try that.

SnareRushJunkie
06-05-2005, 05:48 AM
i already posted this over on the Island of Dr. Brain thread, but i figured i would post it here too:

thought some of you torrent-savvy people might find this of interest:

*snip*

i'd download it myself and let you know if it works, but sadly, i am on dial-up.

No warez linking - Havell

Andrea
04-06-2005, 08:53 PM
:Brain: I absolutely LOVED this game earlier when I had a computer it would play on. I wish I could find a version that would play on either a MAX OS10 or current PC laptop... I ESPECIALLY liked the maze part and readily let my math students play this when their homework was done! It rates the highest rating available in my book!

lucas
16-06-2005, 12:54 AM
G'day. i played Dr. Brain with a mate heaps when i was a kid. was just wondering how i would get a hold of it now days. can't seem to find a download anywhere and i don't really know how to go about it any other way. any suggestions would be great.
-Cheers

Pml1234
16-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Same, this would really be great to find! It seems like the game used to be up and is now down, so does anyone have a link?
Thanks in advance!
By the way, im gonna sign up for a forum account now!

Tom Henrik
17-06-2005, 12:20 AM
The game is protected by the ESA, and won't be available for download.

Riley
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I used to play this game when I was younger and I loved it! I can't find our copy of it and was wondering if anyone knows how I can get one??? :help:

Riley
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Or I would even buy it if anyone knows where I could!!!!!!!

A. J. Raffles
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Riley@Jul 7 2005, 03:34 PM
Or I would even buy it if anyone knows where I could!!!!!!!
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8203788908&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW), for example.:)

joolee
07-10-2005, 06:22 AM
There's an Amiga emu of this game available out there if you're willing to download the emu and deal with all the BS involved...
I miss my Tandy1000EX sometimes, but I certainly don't miss its slowness, and the Amiga emu I got really captures the slowness :-/

Bobbin Threadbare
07-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Heh, I remember this. I found it easy.

Doctadeth
19-11-2005, 07:30 AM
hmm, I used to love this game...Can anyone e-mail it to me?

:help:

A. J. Raffles
19-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Doctadeth@Nov 19 2005, 08:30 AM
hmm, I used to love this game...Can anyone e-mail it to me?

:help:
No. Sorry. You'll have to find a place to buy it, I'm afraid.

dijjithedde
07-01-2006, 08:31 PM
So does anyone know how to get a copy of this game? On the ESA site it doesn't list Sierra as a participating company, nor does Sierra itself have any interest in distributing it. I somehow managed to get a copy of Dr. Brain 2 CD off ebay, but Dr. Brain 1 has eluded me. Any advice?

punch999
07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
well esa directly contacted us and said no.

SupSuper
07-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by dijjithedde@Jan 7 2006, 09:31 PM
So does anyone know how to get a copy of this game? On the ESA site it doesn't list Sierra as a participating company, nor does Sierra itself have any interest in distributing it. I somehow managed to get a copy of Dr. Brain 2 CD off ebay, but Dr. Brain 1 has eluded me. Any advice?
Sierra is part of Vivendi, which is listed as ESA.

l.c. sinyard
03-07-2006, 05:48 AM
HELP!

I own an original pc cd version of the Island of dr brain, but I lost my cd booklet. you know, the one that has the required coordinates so that you can actually play the game. Does anyone have those coordinates to allow me to play the game?

If so, please email me at E-MAIL REMOVED

I would extremely appreciate it.

Thanks.

Edited by ReamusLQ

Marloes
13-09-2006, 08:44 PM
is there any way you would mind emailing me the game once you figured it out? i loved this game when i was younger. would really appreciate it!!

EMAIL REMOVED

Edit by Reup: We don't email games that are ESA protected. Don't ask about them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(l.c. sinyard @ Jul 3 2006, 05:48 AM) 241142</div>
HELP!

I own an original pc cd version of the Island of dr brain, but I lost my cd booklet. you know, the one that has the required coordinates so that you can actually play the game. Does anyone have those coordinates to allow me to play the game?

If so, please email me at E-MAIL REMOVED

I would extremely appreciate it.

Thanks.

Edited by ReamusLQ
[/b]

Mighty Midget
13-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Since the game is esa protected, you really shouldn't ask for it here at Abandonia. Second, don't post your email adress. See how the other adresse was removed?

Reported. (Yeah, I know. I suck)

Doctadeth
29-05-2007, 09:09 AM
I love this game so much, I used to play it with my childhood sweetheart, and beat it so many times. Yes, I ended up being very smart as a result :bleh:

I so loved Sierras proper puzzle classics, I wonder if they would release them again in a commercial package?

Destroier
15-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I loved to play The Lost Mind of dr.Brain when I was younger. Don't really know if it's the same dr.Brain ^_^ , but I really liked it. Too bad I can't find it anywere :'-(.

jesse
10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Apologies if I'm missing something, but the link to the copy protection code is broken, so I can't get past the first room. Any help with this is sincerely appreciated!

Also, I used to play this game when it first came out. If I remember correctly it came with a book of brain teasers, riddles, etc that was wonderful. The only one I can remember now is about a Martian rubbing his stomach.....anyone still have that book?

12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
http // www abandonware-paradise fr / Bonus / castle_of_dr_brain jpg

13-07-2007, 01:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(discharge @ Jul 10 2007, 03:18 PM) 298770</div>
Apologies if I'm missing something, but the link to the copy protection code is broken, so I can't get past the first room. Any help with this is sincerely appreciated! [/b]
I've got the same problem. Anyone can help?

Brent
29-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Good news: the "decoder grid" for the game is back up on abandonia (I d/l'ed the game itself from here a while back, but I couldn't get the secret codes from the old manual). Send me a msg at spaceb80@yahoo.com if you need a copy. If this game is still copy-protected, I apologize.

- Brent D.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dijjithedde @ Jan 7 2006, 10:31 PM) 195218</div>
[/b]

RC
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tuttle @ Feb 25 2005, 08:32 AM) 71609</div>
They're the BRAINSG.* files, and they're probably read-only. Select everything in Windows Explorer, right-click | Properties, and make sure that the Read Only box is empty.
[/b]

I give you my thanks as well.

19-10-2007, 09:59 AM
[quote]

I tried this and still when i try to save my game it shuts down and my computer says The NTVDM encountered and illegal instruction...please help me!!

The Fifth Horseman
19-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Run the game in DOSBox or VDMSound.

zafo999
20-10-2007, 05:25 AM
This was my favorite game as a kid on the ol' Tandy 1000. I remember the Clock Room used to scare my sister out of the room when it would announce that "You now have 60 seconds!"

WendyMann
09-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Hello all

My sister has been stuck for ages on this game.
She says "the robot heads have to be programmed and both walkthroughs are different. I've tried all 6 programs on all 3 robot heads but nothing works. I must be doing something wrong - please help".

Can anyone help please?

Regards
Wendy

The Fifth Horseman
09-02-2008, 11:39 AM
There is a walkthrough at: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/564673.html
Problem:
Which robot head do I use in the robot design room?

Hint:
You may wish to use Iron face since it's the honest robot head
and will follow your program exactly. If you choose the
dishonest Saucer head, it will disobey your program exactly.
Propeller head is dishonest half the time and will disobey every
second line of your program.
You might want to start checking GameFAQs when you need a walkthrough for some game. More often than not, there are several for each.

WendyMann
09-02-2008, 12:16 PM
There is a walkthrough at: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/564673.html

You might want to start checking GameFAQs when you need a walkthrough for some game. More often than not, there are several for each.

Thanks, Fifth Horseman, but actually that is one of the two walkthroughs my sister has been using, but she can't come right. If no-one else can offer more help, I will probably have to play the game myself to see if I can get it right for her so she can go on with the game (the trouble is, I have quite a few games I would prefer to tackle first for my own enjoyment that re high on my "to play" list!).

Yes, I agree with you about gamefaqs, I have been relying on their walkthroughs for many years, it is a wonderful site for walkthroughs of all kinds and for a wide variety of platforms.

Thanks a stack once again!!!
Best regards, Wendy

The Fifth Horseman
09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I've started the game and got to the robot programming puzzle.

First thing is obvious - use Iron Face head, so that the robot follows your commands as you entered them.
Second, whenever the program encounters an error, the number of command on which the error occurred is displayed (at the bottom right).
Third, rather than trying to get an entire program right from the beginning, build it in increments of three to five commands at a time and then test it to make sure it works as intended.
Fourth, each hand can pick up only one, specific item: Forklift is for the book, dart gun for the clue sheet and the electromagnet is for the iron plaque. If you used the wrong hand, the program will error out.

WendyMann
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I've started the game and got to the robot programming puzzle.......plaque. If you used the wrong hand, the program will error out.

Hello Fifth Horseman
Thanks a million, You are a STAR!!! I have copied both your posts to my sister on email, and told her to try your advice and that if she does not come right, to send me her saved-game from before the robot-heads puzzle and I will try to do it for her.
Thanks so very much for your help, you are very kind.
Best regards, Wendy

The Fifth Horseman
09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
I've found that the second and third programs in that walkthrough are missing two steps each. No wonder they didn't work. Here's more about the puzzle:

* On Easy level, the heads don't malfunction so use Iron Face head always.

* On Standard level, any head you use will malfunction after you get first two items. Use Iron Fact first, then the Saucer (since it's easier to program of the two faulty ones)

* On Expert level every head will malfunction after you get an item, so you'll have to use both the Saucer and Propeller heads to finish the task.

* Remember that for the Saucer every command executed is directly opposite of what you order it to do - if you want it to go forward, order it to go backward, to turn on the arm, order the robot to turn it off and so on.

* The Propeller is the most confusing one - every command with an EVEN number (2, 4, 6 and so on) is executed correctly. Every command with an ODD number (3,5,7 and so on) is executed in reverse just like Saucer does.

The programs for IRON FACE head:
To get book, install Forklift arm and program:
Right
Forward
Left
On
Right
Backward
Left
Left
Forward
Forward
Forward
Right
Forward
Right
Forward
Off

To get clue sheet, install Dart Gun arm and program:
Left
Forward
Forward
Forward
Right
Right
Right
On
Left
Left
Forward
Right
Forward
Off

To get plaque, install Magnet arm and program:
Left
Forward
Forward
Forward
Right
Forward
Left
On
Right
Right
Forward
Off

The programs for SAUCER head:
Left
Backward
Right
Off
Left
Forward
Right
Right
Backward
Backward
Backward
Left
Backward
Left
Backward
On

Right
Backward
Backward
Backward
Left
Left
Left
Off
Right
Right
Backward
Left
Backward
On

Right
Backward
Backward
Backward
Left
Backward
Right
Off
Left
Left
Backward
On

The programs for PROPELLER head:
Right
Backward
Left
Off
Right
Forward
Left
Right
Forward
Backward
Forward
Left
Forward
Left
Forward
On

Left
Backward
Forward
Backward
Right
Left
Right
Off
Left
Right
Forward
Left
Forward
On

Left
Backward
Forward
Backward
Right
Backward
Left
Off
Right
Left
Forward
On

WendyMann
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I've found that the second and third programs in that walkthrough are missing two steps each. No wonder they didn't work. Here's more about the puzzle:.....

Hello Fifth Horseman
A million thanks for all your trouble and for the detailed info supplied. I have printed it out and will definitely resort to it myself if I get stuck on this when I eventually play it myself. (So many games, so little time!!!!). I have also sent it to my sister, in case she re-plays the game!!!

Here is some feedback I received per email today from my very grateful sister re your previous info, which enabled her to finish the robot heads puzzle:-

"Your fourth comment gave me the hint I needed. I was putting the head on the pedestal, programming it in the computer then using the data sheet on the pedestal and it always said “arm missing”. You have to also put the respective hand on the pedestal before programming – that is so logical. Also I never noticed the hands until you mentioned them!!!
I’ve finished the game and enjoyed it. Thanks again for your help".

Best wishes from my sister and from me.
Wendy

autistic_clown
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
i tried to install with DOSBox, however before it installs anything after setting it up, it says that the configuration file cannot be created. help?

morbeo
01-04-2009, 07:41 AM
A swell game, I really enjoyed most of the puzzles. Funny fact - for the encrypted text near the end that instructs you how to arrange the books I didn't use the decoder ring ( I haven't found it ) and decrypted it myself :embarassed: .

gumpy
17-06-2009, 06:45 PM
A different kind of game than Sierra's usual Quest fare. Intresting though.

BranjoHello
31-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Good logical puzzle-solving, totaly loveble.

surgecat
10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm assuming DOSbox is a good program to use, but I was just wondering if anyone could walk me through installation. If you could show me how to do this one I can probably get the others ok on my own.

The Fifth Horseman
11-10-2009, 10:35 AM
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406

eugene425
23-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Yes, that's a good game, but some problems towards the end, absolutely unsolvable.:cry:

The Fifth Horseman
23-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Quite solvable. It just takes some effort. :)

eugene425
23-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Quite solvable. It just takes some effort. :)
You're not quite right, it is talking about linguistic problems, which, without knowledge of the language to solved unrealistic.:no:

The Fifth Horseman
23-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Just like most games around, this one assumes the player is fluent in their use of English.
You could consider improving of your knowledge of the language, you know. :)

lwc
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
runme.bat calls brain.com instead of brain.exe - I suggest you just call brain without mentioning the extension.

Also (unlike the sequel), the default configuration uses Roland instead of SB. It requires (even in DOSBox) to have a USB midi device.

Even more so (as mentioned earler), all files are read-only, which serves no purpose (especially when one needs to fix the batch and installation).

Can you fix the 3 issues (read-only, bad batch, non default installation)? Thanks!