PDA

View Full Version : Dune

Pages : [1] 2

Kosta
11-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available) (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/46)

muaddib
05-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Of all the dune games ever released, this is the best one!

mika
05-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Man I've got great memories playing this one! Although I never finished it - I got stuck at some stage where the game just wouldn't move on and I didn't know what to do.... :?

Very original game though, and great graphics!

LotharGR
05-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Both Dune 1 ( sadly i have played it very little ) and Dune 2 are historic and revolutionary games. Don't forget that Dune 2 is the grandfather of all RTS games :)

Anonymous
29-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Well, people, i mean, this is THE Dune, you know, like adventure and strategy in one, first game i finished on my Pentium, legendary story about planet Dune, Paul and blue-eyed girl on the desert sunset, i mean, common people, what's wrong with you? You even think about what this game is like?

FreeFreddy
29-05-2004, 10:41 AM
:shock:

Stroggy
29-05-2004, 11:57 AM
It doesn't have Yueh in it... I know that :wink:
Why is it that my favourite characters are always traitors :?

Kiddiarni
30-05-2004, 10:34 PM
I got the New Dune(westwood studio's)... 3 CD's.... it's cool, with these acted mocies/cutscenes like in the Command and Conquer games...

Stroggy
30-05-2004, 10:43 PM
which one?
Dune 2000 (2d)
or Emperor: battle for dune (3d)?

Yes the acted scenes are nice... the backgrounds are exactly like in the movies.
A nice thing to know: most of the 3d effects in the Dune game movies (dune 2000 and Emperor: battle for dune) and most of the C&C games were made with bryce.
thats right, not 3d studio max, plain old bryce.
the original Myst game was also made using bryce (i believe most scenes in myst were made by the same person that made the movies for westwood)

so... in your face all you who say Bryce is useless :)
(in case you don't believe me i can give you the website to prove it :) )

ehm... there
just wanted to say that :)

eric10051981
11-06-2004, 03:10 AM
bravo.. ahaha.. :P

i never finished the game though.. any chance i'll find it here in abandonia??

Omuletzu
11-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Are you referring to Dune ? It's here...

eric10051981
11-06-2004, 10:44 AM
yeah i just found out.. turns out that i forgot those 2 got different genre so i thought i'd found dune at strategy section.. but later on i found it at adventure section.. silly me.. :oops: thanks for the info anyway..

Anonymous
22-06-2004, 05:42 PM
You people don't know just how much I love this gam :D e! I alsaw never finished it, but I had some really good times plaing it. I like the whole Dune story and it's very nicely captured in this game, except that some of the characters are missing like Alia and Yueh.

Decalies
25-06-2004, 07:18 AM
This was a great game. I finished it a number of times. And I think it is really the first game with some sort of RTS.

Dream
26-06-2004, 07:43 AM
It was a nice game at first but then it got boring, I lost all of my interest when I spent whole hour managing Fremen's economy.

Stupid Fremen's can't do anything themselfs!

dadaas
26-06-2004, 01:04 PM
DUNE is awsome game both 1 and 2 but i like better dune 1 becuse is awsome and i finsihed it 10 times.

Durak
04-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Just curious as to why one of the screenshots is of a french version...pretty cool.

Bob
04-07-2004, 09:00 PM
It was a nice game at first but then it got boring, I lost all of my interest when I spent whole hour managing Fremen's economy. *

Stupid Fremen's can't do anything themselfs!

I agree and eventually gave in.
First played on the amiga same as dune 2 :)

adamcoxoff
28-08-2004, 04:11 PM
I like this game. I had a small problem sometime around midday on dy 105, I think, where the game just froze up. Luckily I had saved just before that, and after retrying a couple times with the same results, I got around it by going into the desert, in the morning, and waiting for evening. It worked fine, and after that I SMEARED the Harkonnen bastards...

good luck and tenacity

radiv
07-10-2004, 08:33 PM
For Those of you that didn't know. You can save anywhere by clicking at "SEE Dune Map", and Clicking on the model of arrakis in the lower left corner (or was it the right one?). They you enter "The Globe or something and are able to change a few options nad save"

Thomy
17-10-2004, 09:32 PM
I am not used to participate to this kind of forums or discussions... but I think I can make an exception for this game. I am 25 now and I have played pc games since my 286. Dune is my favourite game ever. I was vary unpopular among my friends 'couse I hated Dune 2 for not being really Dune. I love the story development, the graphic... and it is a very successful mixture of game types. I still have it on two FD and I enjoy playing it every now and then... I usually have a "Dune afternoon" about every 6 months. Now I need only a couple of hours to complete the mission... but I still love it. Is there any game like it? I would really like to know...

Eagle of Fire
18-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Since Dune is a strange mix between an Adventure and a Strategy game... Good luck on finding another one like it! :(

Endop
18-10-2004, 03:02 PM
It's not the fact that it a strange mix that makes it hard to find somehting similar. The Real Problem is much harder. A working mix of adventure and strategy! ;)

Anyway, it really seems I would have to try this one too. Damn it, I haven't even started working yet and want to retire already! :D

Thomy
20-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Ok... I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I have a PC with an integrated sound card and windows XP. Dune does not work with sound. If I use dosbox it works... but every now and than the sound "jumps"; I have a blink of silence. I have tried VDMS but with no success... I have read in another forum that I am not the only one experiencing that kind of problem... but there are many that do not have it and are surprised of any complications mentioned... Can anyone PLEASE help? Thanks!

Cyberdemon
20-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Perhaps you should increase the CPU cycles that DosBox emulates? You can raise them with CTRL+F12.

Stroggy
20-10-2004, 01:17 PM
there was one sound option that worked for me...
and even then the music was of a much lower quality than it should be.
To be honest I didn't enjoy the game all that much.

And it doesn't follow the book at all :blink:
In the book Arrakeen is captured by the Harkonnen and Paul is forced to flee with his mother... then he unites the tribes.
And the fertilization of the planet only happens in 'Children of Dune'... which happens a hundred, if not a thousand, years after Paul Atreides's death

Don't get me wrong, its a good game... but it isn't the book. The book was rather dull at times, but when you finish reading it and you reflect on the major events in the book you do feel drawn to some characters... or the exact opposite.
That is the charm of Dune. While some readers will praise Paul as a saviour of the universe, others will call him a dictator, a dictator more cruel than Baron Vladimir Harkonnen or Emperor Shaddam IV.

Dune Messiah really engages this evil side of the 'hero' of dune.
At one point he even compares himself to Hitler, or says some things which sound an awefull lot like something Hitler would say.

marko river
21-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Strrogy, we all saw the movie.

Game is still great. Everything is placed in one little story and I doub that it should follow the book. Game will be dull, dull, and real dull. This way players will like it and wmay become interested in Dune series.

P.S. Is there any game that you actually love?????????

Stroggy
21-10-2004, 02:29 PM
there are loads of games I like.
but Dune shouldn't be called a 'game that follows the book to the letter' as it is on many other sites that have reviewed it.

So no need to act like a wiseass now.

Anyway, Lynch's movie isn't exactly a very accurate presentation of the book either.
The miniseries was... but it contained quite a few tedious moments.

22-10-2004, 05:55 PM
the book is WAY better than the film.
the movie is quite good though... but it obviously changes stuff to work better as a movie.
naturally this is even more so in the game.
bear in mind in the days this game was made, many, many movie licenced games bore absolutely ZERO relation to the movie whatsoever. this was true of arcade games too.

the movie is 'based on' the book

the game is more 'inspired by' the book, and in some senses, the movie

Thomy
01-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Ow c'mon... "Your rating: 3" ?!? My taste for games does not really go with the majority... however I'm writing for another bit of information. I've done a little research and find out that there was a game named Dune Generations that was prepared by Cryo but then they bankrupted... An allied Canadian company said that the project would go on but... no hopes anymore. The project is dead some years now. It was going to be Dune 2 type of game but with more graphic, a more 3d style of playing and a really nice UI... at least this is what can be extrapolated from the available pictures. Oh yes: it was going to be an on-line game... A pity that the project went dead. That was the first piece of news. The second is for the really nostalgic Dune fanatics. Did you know that Cryo issued an audio CD with the music of Dune? I didn't. It's "Exxos - Dune Spice Opera". Exxos is the original name of the company Cryo. The songs are really enjoyable and they successfully recall Dune memories... If you are lucky enough to find it... somewhere :-)...
See ya!

Jay
20-11-2004, 01:54 PM
I just like everything about the Dune universe. The game - Dune - is way better than the movie. Maybe it does not follow the book in every little detail but it definitely captures the atmosphere of it. I still play it although I have finished it several times.

I agree with those saying that the movie does not do the book credit. It would be great if the movie was remade. I am sure it would pay of too since there are millions of Dune fans.

Jay...

J.S.
26-11-2004, 08:51 AM
That's true. It's the only poor point. That, and the very limited replay value. But, that said, if you are a Dune nut you take all that you can get. I tend to take it off of the metaphorical shelf at least once a year.

TaloN
26-11-2004, 06:53 PM
you have to think of the film as a seperate entitity from the book. The book is amazing, the film is thesimplified version.

this was the first game i EVER played.

i was about 6-7. Dune, Syndicate and MegaRace came free with our first pc, a 486 something or other.

i remeber playing it for days on end. completed it once, i remeber the turning point being taking one of those box weapons (wirly gig or something?? ) really early in the game and so being able to flatten the easy harokken fortresses and gain huge amounts of spice.

Wout1974
01-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I can't play this game on my computer. After i download the game, i doubleclick on dune 2 file and he start the game. Then i can choose between 3 groups and after clicking one of them, the mousepointer dissepear and the game will not go further.

Maybe not writed for windows???

Wael
01-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Please use dosbox,
which is available on the site.

02-12-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah unless you have an old p.c with an old skool soundblaster 16, then you should use dosbox to play dune - otherwise you`ll miss out on the wicked adlib music

rc55
04-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Thomy,

Hey - I do exactly the same thing - i.e. Play Dune 1 once every six months! I've got it down to around 3 hours to complete, and I put the soundtrack on CD-Style so it's not too hectic.

For those who are stuck, here are some vital tips - but bear in mind, this can be too much for some people!

1) Harvesters are essential, Harvesters with Orni's are even better! Don't have a seitch without one.
2) Send the Emporer only what he asks for.
3) To fall in love with Chani, take her out to the desert ALONE (i.e. get Stilgar to stay in the Sietch) and talk to her at night time.
4) Take time to talk to Fremen Chiefs, they will tell you about Seitches you aren't aware of. Remember to fly with a passenger to spot the seitches!
5) Check Spice Density regularly and regroup your troops, and seperate them if they stop working.
6) Ecology isn't that important. Maybe use just one troop to help.
7) When Thufir prompts you to start an army, use 8 troops from around Stilgar's region, train them up using Gurney in one seitch, then get some troops on Espionage, and others destroying fortresses, not forgetting to pick up the extra equipment on the way.
8) Use everyone else for Spice. Get harvesters. When you discover the worm secret, you can deliver Orni's to Fremen directly by flying to them, and leaving them via the worm.

Well, that's spoiled all the fun, but for the most part, the game gives pretty good hints on how to survive. Just keep the spice flowing and talking to the fremen, and looking for plot queues.

Ruairi

TaloN
04-01-2005, 08:30 PM
i attacked the forst to the north of seigar as fast as possible once im fairly well trained. thus u can get a level 3 weapon i think it is (the box that makes sounds or something, its been awhile) and then u can win fairly easily.

goblins
04-01-2005, 09:50 PM
It is a good game i havent played it before it got it off this site but i have finished it a few months ago (when i was downloading the files but wasnt a forum member) but now it has limiited replay value - one ive played the games here thats it

Still good to see it back on this site available for old time gamers to bash around with and :sniper: a few enemies

Dr. Frankenstien
05-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Actually, this one is the third best in the series, the best is Emperor: Battle for Dune (Gotta buy this im afraid) and the second best is Dune 2000
Modified by Omuletzu
Reason: Offering oldwarez!

Eagle of Fire
05-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Since Dune is a RPG/Strategy game and the games you mentioned are RTS, I hardly think you can compare them. And I would still say that Dune is superior, especially over Dune 2000!

Melle
06-01-2005, 09:13 AM
I just love that game. How many hour did I spend on there... I still remember the first time I won... what a feeling !

Just for me to now : did anyone ever managed to find ALL the sietches and villages on the map ? Despite all my efforts, some parts of the map staid desperately blank...

Rogue
06-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Melle@Jan 6 2005, 05:13 AM
I just love that game. How many hour did I spend on there... I still remember the first time I won... what a feeling !

Just for me to now : did anyone ever managed to find ALL the sietches and villages on the map ? Despite all my efforts, some parts of the map staid desperately blank...
I did like two years ago, while I was replaying it.

I used walkthrough to get all of them. :blink:

slayer
19-01-2005, 07:22 PM
I can't gather enough spice for the second or third shipment to the Corrino bastard ( the emperor ) any advice ???

30-01-2005, 03:31 PM
thats one of my most favotite :)
the cd version rocks a lot more...

Help?
07-02-2005, 07:51 PM
The 1st time i try a game of that sort and i have problems?Cant find more than few villages and Jessica tells me to go to the desert alone,walk and let it penetrate me,what does she means?Also when in a region spice finishes it wont be replaced and now most of my 8 troops have very low moral and wont do anything.I also cant find Kayns and Stilgard,any advice?

08-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Walking in the desert: walk away from the palace, into the desert at night. About three "steps" away from the palace should be enough.
Wait until the sun rises. I don't remember completely, but I think you'll then get a vision.
It also works in broad daylight, but then you'll loose consciousness, I don't know if there isn't a random factor that perhaps would cause you to die?? So doing it at night might be safer.

To find Stilgar: talk to Harrah (or was it Hannah?). She'll say she remembers a sort of fremen leader, but she's forgotten his name.
Then go talk to the naibs of the 3 sietches you've found early in the game. One of them will tell you the man you're looking for is Stilgar. Then Harrah will remember where to find him. Follow her instructions then.

After you've found Stilgar, you should try to be alone with him (tell Harrah to stay at a certain place, and take Stilgar with you to the next room). Then talk to Stilgar. He'll tell you he wants you to meet someone. This will be Chani. Later on she'll speak about her father (Kynes) and explain where to find him.

Feel free to ask for more hints, I don't want to spoil the game by typing all I remember here. Though there's been a walkthrough circulating on the net, which should be enough to get you through the whole game.

One tip I'd want to add: if you can plant vegetation, don't do it in rich spice areas: plants will destroy the spice. Choose poor areas south of Harkonnes fortresses. The vegetation will grow further north, significantly lowering the Harkonnen's spice mining.

May the spirit of Muad-Dib be with you :D

Menaceofri
10-02-2005, 02:06 AM
yo people, i remember buying this game when it came out back in the day on my like windows 3.1 muck, something was wrong with my cd or something so it couldnt save LOL, i beat it in one sitting althought it took me a good 8 hours :) great game, dling it now to relive my childhood fun looking for good games like this email me @ menaceofri@netzero.com if you know any

fjuk
22-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Well... No doubt about it... Dune is a *GREAT* and even revoulutionary game (for it's time).

I still find the storyline good (and true to the book), but it's the same every time you play (Then again; no-one can expect all games to be as great in variation as Fallout 2). Letting some time pass between playing it solves this

One of the greatest things about this game is the music, and what we don't get here with this download - which you will get with the original CD-version - is a fully featured soundtrack playable for any CD-player (non-PC).
Allright, it's a bit nerdy to put on a computergame soundtrack when you friends drop by, but I do believe that it still makes it a good reason to buy the original from eBay or the like...

TaloN
04-03-2005, 08:25 AM
just redownloaded this game agian.

having a problem:

i do al the first like 8 or so sietchs, get the extra harvesters etc. meet harah , all that crap. then i go abk to the palace and Jessica asks u to go into the desert alone, this SHOULD active the second message from Leto asking for a spice shipment, but it doesnt, i can walk and walk, up to like 30days and the message never comes, should i just start again? or have i misssed something :S

another_guest
04-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Odd... just to check whether you're doing it right:

You'll have to be out in the desert and at least spend a full day or night there, while you should be far enough from the palace, you shouldn't see anything but desert. As said before, walking 3 "screens" away from the palace should be enough.
Other than that, I wouldn't know of anything you could have missed...

TaloN
04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
i just restarted and it was fine.

jsut got flattend though LOL. ofund stilgar, set guerney training 4 units with krys. and then i lose 3 sietches near me to harkonneen attacks and then my 4 units surrender near on instantly to the enemy LOL

game over me finks

Luchta
14-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Just one of the best games released. I'm a very big fan of the book series, and this worked well for when it was made. As for secrets, well this might not be a secret t oanyone but what I found best, was to forget about building an army until you had pretty much leeched the planet for all the spice you could get. That way, you always have enough spice to give the emperor up until the end of the game

The_Monarch
14-03-2005, 06:46 AM
I used to play Dune 2 when I was a youngin' so as soon as I saw Dune 1 available for download I got that tingling feeling inside.

I recently got into reading the dune chronicles about 4 months ago.
I haven't read Frank Herberts origionals yet but I've read his son's prequels(sp?) to dune.
I just finished House Corrino and I have to say I was awe-stricken, it's the best series I've read and I'm not even on Franks books yet.

The game is just as good as the book and they capture the book, and movies, essence greatly.

s0n1cm4yh3m
15-03-2005, 01:04 PM
hello guys!!!
i used to play dune when i was a kid, and got all exited when i saw it for download... LOL :D
anyway, im having some problems with it, i cant make the voices to play, only the music (ive already tried vdmsound and dosbox, none of them work), and to do that i have to use the comm.bat, no sound at all with dune.bat...
i use the onboard sound of my abit IS7...
a light someone?

Rogue
15-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Write more about your system and OS. There is also troubleshooting forum.

ps. Do you know how to use DOSBox?

s0n1cm4yh3m
16-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Abit IS7, P4 3ghz, 512mb ram, Radeon 9800XT

s0n1cm4yh3m
16-03-2005, 01:54 AM
oh and im using winXP sp2

about how to use the dosbox... i guess i do know...
i mount the dune paste, and run it through it? is there something else i need to do?

another_guest
16-03-2005, 08:48 AM
I also used Dosbox to run Dune, and I didn't get any sound either.
Could it be that the sound files are missing? I don't have the game here, so I can't check. But it happens often -even for games that are small by today's standards- that the sound files were left out when people copied the game, to save space.
Just a guess though...

s0n1cm4yh3m
18-03-2005, 11:28 AM
oh well, just finished the game =)
i hope that when i try to play it again i find a way to make them speak! =D
:max:

My-Q
18-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Actually, they DON'T speak LOL
It's just advanced graphical achievement (in the 90s) :D
Anyway, the sounds for Dune is not that great to listen to.. the music though, is different.. i love dune's music (dune 2 counts too :D)

s0n1cm4yh3m
18-03-2005, 01:21 PM
oh yes they DO speak! :D
maybe not in this version, but Iīm 100% sure that the caracters had voices when I played it 10 years ago! (i could prove that... but i lost my CD :cry: , otherwise i wouldnt even be here :blink: )

well... who converted the files and have the original CD?

TaloN
18-03-2005, 03:55 PM
the characters do speech :S

s0n1cm4yh3m
18-03-2005, 09:39 PM
they what?

Jochem
27-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I had the original game about 8 years ago, I remember it was the first full game i owned. But I lost the cd, now i downloaded the thingie from this site but i can't seem to play it. Everyone sais I should use Dosbox but i don't understand how it works, if anyone could explain it to me that would be greatly appreciated. I have version 0.63.

Jochem
27-03-2005, 08:03 PM
If anyone could give me a windows patch it would be even better.

About Dosbox, I know how it works btwbut it only doesn't work well. First i mount drive c to c:\.
Then I enter: cd jochem
text C:\JOCHEM>
Then I enter: cd dune
text C:\JOCHEM\DUNE>

But then when I enter duneprg.exe, the game flickers and then it sais: dunechar.hsq and it goes back to C:\JOCHEM\DUNE>

Des anyone know how to fix it. That would be great.

another_guest
27-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Jochem:

I don't know where I got my version of Dune from, but it includes a .bat file containing the following:

@echo off
logo
duneprg ENG VGA SDB2222 HIM 386

To create a setup in Dosbox, I use D-Fend:
http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm
No need to type any commands, just click and pick your choice.
So I run D-Fend as a front end to Dosbox, and I run the dune.bat file I mentioned above.
Hope this works for you.

RedDragon
02-04-2005, 04:48 AM
Got a question for the experienced players here. I've gotten my spice production up and running, delivered my first shipment to the emperor, had my first vision, all that good stuff. However, after finding Gurney in the room with the trapped door, I cannot seem to get Thufir to examine the trapped door. Jessica keeps stopping me ('Don't go through that door') and even after Gurney has left the room she insists on staying with him. :wall: Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is it just a glitch in the game? (running Windows xp pro w/ VDMS) Thanks much for the help. :kosta:

Oh, and any hints on why the screen will suddenly zoom in on faces (Jessica, Gurney) sometimes while characters are talking? I'm thinking it is supposed to be some form of warning? Creeping me out.

another_guest
02-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Have you tried talking to everyone, including Leto?
And have you checked any messages in the communication room? In case there was a request for another spice shipment, process that first until you get the emperor's reply that he received it.

The zooming in on faces has no meaning, it only happens when you're talking to a person for a while. Nothing special.

Mind Bullets
04-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Awesome game! A great mix of adventure and strategy. I must have played this one through at least six or seven times over the years. I can't say I've played another game quite like it.

Mind Bullets
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Great music, too.

rmagere
17-04-2005, 08:34 AM
:help:
Talon I am having the same problem you had i.e. not getting the vision after Jessica tells me to go to the desert.

What did you do to get it going? as I have already restarted three times and I always get stuck there. I am quite sure I am doing it right as I have played the game to the end several times without a problem with my original copy on an old pc but I have no luck now.

Abe+!_D_Omni
30-04-2005, 06:07 PM
:D One of the best gamez ever :D

One of the titles that got me hooked to PC gaming ^_^

-={ Abe+! }=-

Christian IV
30-04-2005, 06:50 PM
:blink:
I think you have to keep talking to everyone, and also
I vaguely remember there being a message in the
communications room about this point. There were a couiple
of great sites on the net about DUNE with lots of tech help,
some years ago when I was first researching this game, don't
know if they are still there, I will check to see if I can find them
later.. :ok: ..this is a great game, Westwood was heading out into the
unknown and new territory with gaming with these and the
story line was a big help as the DUNE books, I think there are some
six or seven in the real series, not the follow ups written by Herbert's
son, they are JUNK....the orginal books are very interesting and
a deep parable about our own times and culture..plus the
ecological issues are very interesting as well, but the game
has so many levels, the spice production, the strategy and tactics
these are really classics. :cheers: :ok:

Christian IV
30-04-2005, 08:47 PM
:D
The Dune novels by Herbert are:

Dune A "feudal" future reality centered on a banished family
who starts to reclaim their power by harnessing the political
and economic power of an exotic drug created by giant huge
sand dwelling worms on a desert ecologic disaster of a planet,
with overtones of ninja-arab bedoin culture, and a young messiah
figure, and a women's cult based on psi and genome science.
To believe in the plot one must believe in psi and suspend
doubt of drug use. a taunt and thrilling beginning to a sweeping
saga...that spreads across the galaxy......it is followed by:

Dune Messiah

Children of Dune

God Emperor of Dune

Heretics of Dune

Chapterhouse: Dune

The Firrsts and the Last seem the best to me, the in between ones
get rather weird, but the overall story is well handled by the games
up on the site here, Dune I and Dune II, except for the wider
galactic things, but they are suggested as well.
:D

xoopx
04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
i got dune cdrom version off ebay, cant wait till it arrives.. it has apparently a lot more stuff than the downloadable older version. which you would expect, being on cd ;)
also got emperor, battle for dune

books; dont forget there are prequels written by frank's son and some other guy.
ive read house atreides and house harkonnen, just starting house corrino. theyre ok. about as good as the sequels frank wrote.
none of frank's sequels, or these prequels (or most other books in the world) can hold a candle to DUNE though. it really is a masterpiece.

Christian IV
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
:D :D
Congrats on securing the CD, I am curious how much more
there is on there, probalby more sound files, and possibly
movies??

I agree re DUNE the orignal book being a masterpiece, it is
really quite remarkable, I have read the series many times over
the years and sometimes i find parts of it easier or likeable, and
at other times change, in and out....but overall it is an amazing concept.
from an earlier post:

The Dune novels by Herbert are:

Dune A "feudal" future reality centered on a banished family
who starts to reclaim their power by harnessing the political
and economic power of an exotic drug created by giant huge
sand dwelling worms on a desert ecologic disaster of a planet,
with overtones of ninja-arab bedoin culture, and a young messiah
figure, and a women's cult based on psi and genome science.
To believe in the plot one must believe in psi and suspend
doubt of drug use. a taunt and thrilling beginning to a sweeping
saga...that spreads across the galaxy......it is followed by:

Dune Messiah

Children of Dune

God Emperor of Dune

Heretics of Dune

Chapterhouse: Dune

The Firrsts and the Last seem the best to me, the in between ones
get rather weird, but the overall story is well handled by the games
up on the site here, Dune I and Dune II, except for the wider
galactic things, but they are suggested as well.

I don't like the Prequels much at all, they are by his son and someone
else and seem totally different, with only faint simlarities to the
originals, Not unusual in the case of carry ons written by other authors.

Dune is a fine piece of work!! :kosta: :kosta:

xoopx
04-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Christian IV@May 4 2005, 06:41 PM
:D :D
Congrats on securing the CD, I am curious how much more
there is on there, probalby more sound files, and possibly
movies??

dune the first novel isnt just some of the very best sci fi ever, its one of the best novels, period! such superb storytelling... if the point of art is to provoke feeling in the viewer, dune is one of best works of art of all time. its that good!

the cd version of the game is GREAT. it has voice actors for what is only subtitles in the older version. i dont even have the text subtitles turned on!
i believe it has clips from the movie, but i havent seen any yet. -shrug- if i do see any, it will be in horrible low res, early 90's cdrom speed movie quality = terrible.
the improved animation of flying in the orni is quite cool, but its just an animation.. so i just skip to destination now, same as the old one.
the main thing is the voice acting.

Christian IV
05-05-2005, 05:27 AM
:ok: :ok:
I agree re DUNE 100%, it is remarkable literature as well as a
great story and evokes in just that first book an entire universe
better and more true to it's self and its own values than almost
any thing I have ever read. I still remember reading for the first
fime of Paul and Jessica's flight into the desert in the night, and
the remarkable way their past luxurious life (yet still based on
remarkable discipline and inner teachings, just hinted at and
then developed thorughout the stories in true zen fashion) how
their past vamished in the great vast stillness of the desert, that
crushing, far reaching, totality of the dry still vastnesses of it,
and how their first encounter with the fremen was so beautiflly
sculpted by Herbert and built slowly into a wider and wider vista.
I am envious of your CD version and must look for it myself,
I am hurrying to build a library of the classic games for we have
a wonderful and perhaps fleeting opportunity to find these games
while some of the resources are still around us. thanks for sharing
some of the details, and for sharing your enthusiasm and appreciation
of this great game of a great story. :cheers: :cheers:
:ph34r: (this smiley could almost be a fremen in a still suit!}

Christian IV
06-05-2005, 05:51 AM
:blink: :blink:
OK, there ARE music and sound effect files for the versoin of Dune I
on the site arent' there? I just tried playing it and got zip, nada,
nothing,
Dune II music played fine, ....and when i went into the files which
we can download here for Dune I i did not see any sound files
at first glance.....did i get an incomplete files? I will try again tomorrow
night, am bushed now, but wanted to check with your DUNE pros...

i have a windows 98, but i tried it in DOS, with cd\DUNE:DUNE
in the dox and still NO sound, lovely graphcis though...it has been a
long time since i played this, and was loookin gforward to it...

any suggestions, out there you DUNE masters?
:bye:

xoopx
06-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Christian IV@May 6 2005, 05:51 AM
:blink: :blink:
OK, there ARE music and sound effect files for the versoin of Dune I
on the site arent' there? I just tried playing it and got zip, nada,
nothing,
Dune II music played fine, ....and when i went into the files which
we can download here for Dune I i did not see any sound files
at first glance.....did i get an incomplete files? I will try again tomorrow
night, am bushed now, but wanted to check with your DUNE pros...

i have a windows 98, but i tried it in DOS, with cd\DUNE:DUNE
in the dox and still NO sound, lovely graphcis though...it has been a
long time since i played this, and was loookin gforward to it...

any suggestions, out there you DUNE masters?
you have to run it in dosbox for the sound to work. it has adlib music.
i run the cd version in dosbox actually, with the 'cd' mounted as a folder on the harddisk!

Christian IV
06-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Ah ha, thanks a lot, i remember now, seeing something about
this when i was researching this game, and i think i even
picked up an adlib - translator converter, i will have to look
i have a 98 system and it plays most of the old games fine

cheers
chris

No Bryce! Softimage | 3D (ol
09-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Stroggy@May 30 2004, 10:43 PM
which one?
Dune 2000 (2d)
or Emperor: battle for dune (3d)?

Yes the acted scenes are nice... the backgrounds are exactly like in the movies.
A nice thing to know: most of the 3d effects in the Dune game movies (dune 2000 and Emperor: battle for dune) and most of the C&C games were made with bryce.
thats right, not 3d studio max, plain old bryce.
the original Myst game was also made using bryce (i believe most scenes in myst were made by the same person that made the movies for westwood)

so... in your face all you who say Bryce is useless :)
(in case you don't believe me i can give you the website to prove it :) )

ehm... there
just wanted to say that :)

Hi! Not at all! MYST was a result of the professional SOFTIMAGE | 3D. The fantastic stills in the game were finaly rendered with "Mental Ray" -- not Bryce!

Caruso

Christian IV
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
:blink: :bye: :ok:
that is very interesting, I had thoguht they used SOFTMAGE, I will
have to check out what was it called, Mental Ray? thanks for the
info. I would like to get the web site for Bryce to see it too if
possible. whoever posted that note. thanks
:ok:

Does anyone know who did the movies for Westwood? :blink:

good_2b_wild
10-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Christian IV@May 6 2005, 03:18 PM

cheers
chris
Could you tell me what you did to make the sound work in Dune? I just DL the game and ran it in DosBox, but there's no sound.

I would appreciate any help you, or anyone else, can give.

xoopx
10-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by good_2b_wild+May 10 2005, 10:42 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (good_2b_wild @ May 10 2005, 10:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Christian IV@May 6 2005, 03:18 PM

cheers
chris
Could you tell me what you did to make the sound work in Dune? I just DL the game and ran it in DosBox, but there's no sound.

I would appreciate any help you, or anyone else, can give. [/b][/quote]
use D-FEND frontend for dosbox

make sure the sound setting in the d-fend entry for dune is SB16 and has "auto" for OPL mode.

this is because dune uses adlib sound, and the (emulated) sb16 in dosbox has adlib emulation (very accurate emulation in fact, with help from MAME)

on a side note; i have the cd version of dune, and the music is still adlib. the cd is used mostly for the real voice speech which is just text in the original version.

good_2b_wild
10-05-2005, 11:18 PM
You mean that without the CD I'll be able to hear the music, but not the speach? Can't I get the speach files from somewhere?

xoopx
11-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by good_2b_wild@May 10 2005, 11:18 PM
You mean that without the CD I'll be able to hear the music, but not the speach? Can't I get the speach files from somewhere?
the original version of dune didnt come with speech. the later CD version comes with speech. it takes up most of a CD's worth, so you might as well look for a copy on ebay, or possibly find an ISO of the cd to download (unlikely)
the music is the same in both versions

Oldie Goldie
14-05-2005, 06:05 PM
I love this game very much. Sadly it got no good critics. I was addicted to find any Sietch and Merchants and to turn the sadly and deadly desert planet into a wonderfull green planet of life.

I also used the endless playtime bug to turn Dune in a green desert. :D

PS: The Music was also very unique and i liked it very much.

Argith Nuei
05-06-2005, 08:45 PM
:bye: Anyone know how to get some sound/music to the game, havent been able to get it up and running yet.

Christian IV
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
I had the same sad problem with sound, even with an old win 98 system
i could not get any sound with Dune I....i did not work at it very much
and will try again later, also i may not have had it installed on my
c hard drive, will see.

any ideas out there? :blink:

21-06-2005, 06:55 PM
it worked for me when i had win98 and an old school SB 16...

Nightkin
07-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Just finished the CD version of the game. It was really fun, but too short :cry:

I have some questions:

Are thought I could remember a screen, where a displayed the enemy casualties after using a nuke. I have seen this game about 8 years ago, so maybe I am wrong, because I havent seen such a screen in my game. Can anyone tell me something about it?

Is there an alternative way to finish the game? Maybe by planting plants everywhere?

What exactly is the effect of joining fighting troups. Do they get a morale bonus? What exactly means ''agressive attack'' and ''fight for a whole day''.

Thank you for helping me with my questions :)

another_guest
08-07-2005, 10:30 AM
To my knowledge, planting plants doesn't end the game, it only helps to deprive the Harkonnen from further spice.

Tenshi
06-08-2005, 01:58 AM
This is one of the best adventure game ever created. That's all folks. :ok:

geron
07-08-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a walkthrough....
Talk to Leto in the throne room and he will tell you to find Gurney
Halleck, long-time friend of the family and your Weapons teacher. Find
Jessica and talk to her. She will tell you the name of the Sietch (Fremen
home) where Gurney is located (Carthag-Tuek).

Take an Ornithopter to Carthag-Tuek and talk to Gurney. He will tell
you of the necessity to enlist the Fremen if you are to stand a chance
against the Harkonnens.

Chapter One:
The Search For Spice

Talk to the Fremen chief and have his troop start working for you and
have them specialize in Spice production. When you talk to Gurney, he
will suggest visiting the sietchs and then returning to the Palace.

Use the Ornithopter to travel to the sietchs with Gurney and enlist as
many troops as you can ( The Fremen at Carthag-Timin will say that you
cannot appreciate there abilities at this time). Have the Fremen troops
specialize in Spice production. Return to the Palace after visiting the
Sietchs and talk to Duncan and Jessica to find out why Spice is so
Valuable.

Find Leto and talk to him to learn about Stillsuits. Gurney will tell you
that the Fremen in the sietch where you met knows of a Stillsuit maker.
Fly an Ornithopter to Carthag-Tuek and talk to the Fremen chief. He
will tell you to fly eastwards (but make sure you have someone with
you) to find the sietch. Fly eastwards and you will find Tuono-Tabr and
the Fremen stillsuit maker.

Talk to the Fremen chief and he will describe stillsuit properties to you
and will have some sent to the Palace. The chief will also tell you of 2
more sietchs to the north and east of his sietch. After enlisting his troop
and having them specialize in spice production, fly to the 2 other sietchs
and enlist the troops for spice production.

Both troops will tell you that their area needs to be prospected before
beginning to harvest spice. Talk to Gurney and he will state that there
must be someone who can prospect and that you have probably already
visited them. Maybe they are the Fremen at Carthag-Timin.

Fly back to Carthag-Timin and talk to the Fremen chief again and you
will be able to get them to work for you this time and they will give you
a Spice-Density Map which will prove of Great value as the game
progresses. At this time when you talk to Gurney he will suggest going
back to the Palace. Take an Ornithopter to the Palace.

As you enter the Palace, Gurney will mention that the Palace is
now stocked with Stillsuits. The Duke will tell you about Jessica's
"Sounding" ability and will suggest that you talk to her about it. Talk to
Jessica and she will suggest exploring the Palace to locate hidden rooms.

Ask Jessica to come with you to locate any hidden rooms. Jessica will
eventually locate a passageway that will lead to the Communications
Room. At this point. talk to Jessica and the storyline will continue on its
own for a few screens.

Find Duncan and talk to him. He will tell you about Spice Harvesters
and how they can increase the production of Spice. Talk to Gurney and
he will suggest Looking at the Dune Map to see which Sietch had the
Harvester (it was Tuono-Tabr). Take your Orni to Tuono-Tabr and talk
to the Fremen Chief. He will tell you that they found the harvester
north-east of the sietch.

Fly north-east in your Orni until Gurney spots a new sietch (Tuono-
Harg). There you will find two harvesters but no Fremen. Gurney will
suggest flying to the two nearest Sietchs to tell the fremen troops to pick
up the harvesters (do this by Changing occupation to "Go and Search for
Equipment").

After the troops are "searching" fly back to the palace and talk to the
Duke. He will give you a short speech and will ask you if you have
seen the message in the communications room. Go to the
communications room and read the message from Emperor Shaddam IV.

Reading this message will start the Spice shipment phase of the game.
The Emperor will now call every 4-7 days for the spice shipment. Make
sure you do not put off sending these shipments or the Emperor will
send his henchmen to Dune to kill you for not sending the Spice
shipments (which is why you are there).

Talk to Duncan and he will tell you that the Fremen from Tuono-Tabr
(where you got the stillsuits) told him about a rich spice area. Fly to
Tuono-Tabr and talk to the Fremen chief and he will tell you of vast
spice fields to the south and of a sietch to the southeast. Fly
southeastwards until you come upon Tuono-Timin. There you will find
the grieving Harah and another harvester.

Talk to Harah and she will tell you she knows of 3 more sietch locations
(Habbanya-Timin, Habbanya-Tuek and Habbanya-Tabr). Ask Harah to
come with you. Fly to the new sietchs and enlist and equip troops (don't
forget to send a troop to "search for equipment" to get the harvester at
Tuono-Timin). The Fremen at Habbanya-Tabr will say "What's the
Point". Harah will tell you that this fremen is hard to convince and that
you should try later. Don't forget to have the Prospectors prospect the
new areas.

Go back to the palace and talk to Duncan. He will tell you about
Worm danger. Jessica will warn you not to let Harah distract you and
will tell you to spend some time in the desert ALONE. Tell Gurney and
Harah to stay in the Palace and then go outside away from the Palace
and wait for morning/evening. You will then receive your first vision,
from Leto.

Go to the throne room. The storyline will continue on its own from
there (Jessica will notice that you have had a vision, The Duke will
request that everyone meet on the Balcony, Harah will mention Paul
might be the One, and Leto will notice Gurney missing).

Talk to Jessica and she will tell you about your new powers. Talk to
Leto and he will suggest having Jessica help you to find Gurney. Ask
Jessica to come with you. This time you must talk to Jessica in every
room to see if she "feels" anything. Jessica will find a hidden door
opposite the Communications room and in there is where you will find
Gurney.

Gurney will urge you to tell Leto while Jessica will stay with Gurney.
Go talk to Leto and he will tell you to go talk to Thufir Hawat in the
communications room. Go talk to Thufir and he will tell you to read the
message before you continue. The message will be from the Emperor
asking for the first shipment of Spice.

(THE FOLLOWING STEPS WILL BE THE SAME EVERY TIME
YOU GET A MESSAGE FROM THE EMPEROR ASKING FOR A
SPICE SHIPMENT):

Go talk to Duncan, He will ask you if the Emperor has asked for the
spice shipment and ask you if you want to Accept, Argue or Refuse.
Accept, unless you want to die Prematurely (although it is a Cool Death
Scene). He will then tell you that he should go with you to the
communications room. Tell Duncan to come with you and go to the
communications room. When you enter the communications room with
Duncan, you will see the Spice shipment being sent off to the Emperor.
Talk to Duncan until the Emperor sends back a message telling you
when the next shipment is expected.----

Chapter 2:
The Search for a Fremen Leader

Ask Thufir to come with you so he can disable the trap where you found
Gurney. After entering the room where Gurney is, talk to Thufir. He
will disable the trap, find the Armoury and ask to talk to you in the
Armoury. Go into the Armoury with Thufir and talk to him. He will
say "We need to be ready to stand against the Harkonnens and use
Fremen to help" and "You need to find a Fremen Leader". Find Harah
and talk to her. She will say that she has heard of a Leader but can't
remember his name.

Take Orni to Sietchs to see if you can find out more about the Fremen
Leader. One of the Fremen chiefs will tell you the Fremen Leader's
Name: Stilgar. Harah will then remember where he was born and can
lead you to the sietch which is located far west of the Palace. Fly due
west of the Palace until you come upon a sietch (Sihaya-Clam). It will
be abandoned. Talk to Harah again and she will say you have to fly
northwest to find Stilgar. Fly northwest until someone spots a sietch.
This sietch is called Ergsun-Timin and here is where you will find
Stilgar.

Talk to Stilgar and ask him to join you. The storyline will take over for
a bit here and you will get the name Maud'Dib. Rally (enlist) the
Fremen troop here and start them on Military Training. Send the troop
to search for equipment. Talk to Stilgar again and he will tell you of
other sietchs in the area. Visit these new sietchs (Ergsun-Clam, Ergsun-
Tabr, Ergsun-Tsymyn, and Ergsun-Tuek), rally these troops as well and
send them off to find equipment. Fly back to Habbanya-Tabr. You can
now enlist the "No Point" troop, with Stilgar's presence.

Now is a good time to revisit all the Fremen chiefs and see how things
are going with them. They might even give you clues as to where other
sietchs may be located. Also make sure the Prospectors are kept
busy..... Remember, Spice is the most important thing in the Universe.

Fly back to Palace. When you enter Throne room, the storyline will
start. (Fremen will help fight Harkonnens and Jessica will notice your
eyes turning blue). Find Thufir and talk to him. He will suggest
starting to train Fremen to fight.

Find Gurney and talk to him. He will say that he can train the Fremen.
Ask Gurney to come with you and bring him to a sietch where he can
start training armies and leave him in a Sietch that has an Army troop in
it, obviously in Stilgar's home area. You will then receive a vision
stating that something terrible has happened at the Palace.

Return to the Palace, visit the Communications room and read
the new message. The message will be from the Baron, then Feyd
telling you of what they had done. Go talk to Leto and he will tell you
about his Punitive Expedition. Go back to the communications room
and talk to Thufir. He will say it would be best to start attacking the
Harkonnens near Stilgars home territory where they will be weakest.

Go talk to Duncan and he will tell you about Villages and items that you
can buy from them. Harah will mention a Tale of a village in a "Fish's
Mouth". Stilgar will mention seeing a fish in your Ornithopter. Look
on the Dune map and find the outline of a fish and fly to the Mouth.
There you will find Oxtyn-Pyons and a smuggler from which you can
buy items such as a harvester or ornithopter.

Talk to Harah and she will want to go back home. Take her back to
Tuono-Timin and tell her to stay there. She will thank you for bringing
her back home.

Talk to Stilgar after moving away from Harah and he will tell you that
there is someone that you should meet. Fly to Oxtyn-Tabr to meet
Chani. Talk to Chani and she will tell you how Beautiful the desert is at
night. Tell Stilgar to stay in the Sietch and ask Chani to follow. Get
away from all equipment in the area and wait for evening. The storyline
will take over from here for a bit. (Chani will tell you that she has
fallen in love with you and that she will want to stay with you forever.
Stilgar will appear and tell you that he thinks you will make a great
Fremen leader especially with a Fremen female at your side).

Talk to Chani and she will mention other sietchs that she knows about.
Fly to the new sietchs, enlist the troops, have them specialize in Army,
Equip troop and send them to the sietch where Gurney is so that he can
train them.

Now is a good time to revisit all the Fremen chiefs and see how things
are going with them. They might even give you clues as to where other
sietchs may be located. Also make sure the Prospectors are kept
busy..... Remember, Spice is the most important thing in the Universe.

Soon you should be receiving a vision from Jessica. Fly back to
the Palace. Jessica will meet you in the stillsuit room and tell you the
Duke is Dead. Go to the Communications room and talk to Thufir to
find out the details. He will tell you the Duke's Ornithopter was shot
down and that there must be some other form of transportation. Talk to
Stilgar and he will suggest going to another room to talk.

Go to another room and Stilgar will tell you that the Fremen use Worms
to travel and will suggest you try it. So head on out to the Desert (one
or more steps away from the Palace) and Call a worm. Talk to Chani
and she will say it would be a good idea if you told Thufir about this.
Go back to the Palace and talk to Thufir. He says "Now only if we had
some other kind of weapon to use against the Harkonnens, Maybe
something located right here in the Palace".

Chapter 3:
Vegetation on Dune: The Fremen Dream

Find Jessica and talk to her. She will say that there still might be
something else hidden. Ask her to come with you (you should leave
Stilgar in the room and take Chani and Jessica with you) and explore the
Palace again, talking to Jessica in every room. You will eventually find
a room to the right of the room where you found Gurney. Enter the
room and talk to Chani, she will tell you about her father (Liet Kynes),
Chani will suggest going back to Oxtyn-Tabr and that you should bring
Stilgar also. Jessica will want to stay in the greenhouse.

Fly/Ride to Oxtyn-Tabr, talk to Chani and she will say that Daddy's
sietch is westwards. Fly/Ride westwards until you find Sihaya-Tuek.
There you will find Liet Kynes. Talk to him and he will show you his
experiments. This should be the first time you will see a Cache of water
in a Sietch. (Now would be a good time to save your game, and check
your Charisma [indicated on the Dune globe with "See Results"]. Talk to
Stilgar and he will suggest drinking the Water of Life. To be able to
Drink the Water of Life, your Charisma must be 50 or greater. (If your
Charisma is not high enough, you will have to refuse the offer and wait
until Jessica explains the Water of Life to you -- only then will you be
able to drink with confidence).

Talk to Stilgar. He will say the Bulbs can be used against the
Harkonnens because they destroy the Spice and that is the only thing the
Harkonnens are interested in. Go into the Greenhouse, talk to Kynes, he
will say that he could use some help from troops and he knows of a few
sietchs nearby.

Go to the new sietchs, enlist the troops, have them specialize in ecology
and send them to Sihaya-Tuek to help Kynes. Now would be a good
time to check on the rest of the Fremen and see how they are doing.

You will eventually receive a vision that a sietch has come down with a
terrible disease. Go to the sietch with the disease, talk to Chani and she
will stay to cure the disease. Continue to check on the rest of the
Fremen troops and keep the Prospectors going to unprospected areas.
Soon you will receive a vision that Chani has cured the Fremen.
Talking to the Fremen will inform you that Chani has disappeared.
After getting message from Feyd (telling you he has kidnapped Chani),
talk to Thufir and will suggest having your army troops use Espionage to
find Harkonnen Fortresses and eventually you will find Chani in one of
the Fortresses.

Through espionage you will find the locations of the Harkonnen
fortresses. By conquering the Harkonnen fortresses you will come upon
the one which holds Chani prisoner. You will not know which fortress is
holding Chani until you attack it.

After rescuing Chani it will be important to remember where the
following characters are located: Jessica, Gurney, Thufir, Stilgar, and
Chani. It will be necessary to gather these characters together for the
dramatic climax.

Chapter 4:
Battle for Arrakis

Eventually you will be able to contact Fremen on the entire
planet. Continue using espionage to find all Harkonnen Fortresses. To
attack a Fortress, it is a good idea to have at least 4 Fremen troops
Expert in Army and equipped with Kyrs, Laser Rifles and Wierding
Modules.

Start with the Fortresses near Stilgars Home territory. and work your
way towards the Palace. (Tip: After conquering a Fortress, there will
usually be a Fremen troop working for the Harkonnens. You can Rally
them to work for you. Have them specialize in Army, equip them, and
send them to Gurney for Training. [also you may want to have 2 forces
(4 troops per force) working in opposite directions so that they will
eventually meet at the Harkonnen Palace]).

If you're concerned that you might lose a battle, you should save before
attempting and then save again if you win. It is also a good rule to
outnumber Harkonnen troops 2 to 1 if possible, although it is not
required. Atomics will give a decided advantage, but will only be found
in fortresses near the Harkonnen Palace.

It is important to use espionage to find all of the fortresses. If you miss
one, you will be set up for a surprise attack, and even if you are not
attacked, you will find it difficult to launch an assault on the palace if
Harkonnen forces are hiding out in an unkown fortress.

Talk to Stilgar after taking each fortress and he will eventually tell you
that there are no more fortresses left to take over. He will suggest
Bringing Thufir to a Sietch close to the Harkonnen Palace. Go to the
Atreides Palace, talk to Thufir (he will say "We are almost ready for the
Final Attack"). Ask Thufir to come with you, and bring him to a sietch
close to the Harkonnen Palace. Talk to Thufir at the sietch and he will
say he needs to stay for awhile. Tell him to stay.

Eventually he will ask you to bring Jessica, Chani, Stilgar and Gurney to
the sietch also. Find them and bring them to the Sietch. After everyone
is there the Storyline will take over. Talk to Thufir and he will say you
need 10,000 Fremen, split into the three sietchs around the place,
equipped with Atomics to attack the Palace.

Once you have enough men surrounding the Palace, Thufir will tell you
to tell Stilgar to give the order. Talk to Stilgar and accept the attack
order. The Troops will converge on the Palace and you will soon
receive a vision stating that the Shield is down and the Harkonnen forces
have surrendered. Now you can go to the Palace. Enter the Palace and
the storyline will take over from there. Congratulations, you have won
the game.

Davidbrian
08-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know, I found the cd version of the game at:

link removed

haven't tried it out yet, but will tonight.

Have fun,
Dave

Frenchkiss is a warez site, no mater what they say - Havell

Bucazaurus
16-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by xoopx+May 11 2005, 12:32 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xoopx @ May 11 2005, 12:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-good_2b_wild@May 10 2005, 11:18 PM
the original version of dune didnt come with speech. the later CD version comes with speech. it takes up most of a CD's worth, so you might as well look for a copy on ebay, or possibly find an ISO of the cd to download (unlikely)
the music is the same in both versions [/b][/quote]
Is not unlikely at all. There are Full CD of Dune to download .
All you have to do is to type "Dune1 torrent" when searching on internet

Rorschach
23-08-2005, 05:46 AM
I think everyone has said it already, Dune II ranks way up there with Civilization in the pantheon of strategy games as the measures by which every strategy game (either turn-based or RTS) is evaluated. I remember back in the day me and a few friends taking turns in front of a 386 playing both of them... But I digress. :P

Now this one I met just recently (thanks Abandonia) and have just finished. I think it was good, but my finishing it had more to do with me being stubborn than with it being compelling. I think it has a lot in common with Reunion (another morsel that I love/hate Abandonia for introducing me to), in terms of similar flaws:
-a lot of (needless, IMHO) micro-management, with having to fly around to give orders (before Paul drinks the Water of Life) being a lot like having to fly each transport and carrier yourself in Reunion;
-it also has the same issue with all-or-nothing military balancing as in Reunion:if you don't pack enough heavily armed fremen, you run the risk of having all your military captured by the Harkonnen in one swoop; if you save/load enough to keep scattering your forces to flee attacks till you are strong enough, once you get 7 fremen with the knife+rifle+weirding (and atomics when you find them) combo, the game is reduced to the methodic scraping of fortress after fortress, with no reaction at all from the Harkonnen. I know we can't expect an advanced AI from a game from this time, but even the basic Dune II (which wasn't so much more recent) AI is lacking here: it felt like a multiplayer game where the other side disconnected.

It's a shame that it has these major gameplay flaws, as it is a surprisingly well-accomplished blend of adventure and strategy, besides having a very good setting and ambiance, with cool graphics. Overall I think it is enjoyable more as a short return visit to the Dune story than as an adventure/strategy game.

3,5 out of 5.

peace house
24-08-2005, 07:04 AM
i finished the dune whit 3 day

24-08-2005, 03:54 PM
:help: :help: :help: hi, I am new on "Abondonia" and I will have wanted to know how one makes to change the language of "dune 1" into French (I remembers y to have played in French) :help: :help: :help:

Shrek
24-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Aug 24 2005, 04:54 PM
:help: :help: :help: hi, I am new on "Abondonia" and I will have wanted to know how one makes to change the language of "dune 1" into French (I remembers y to have played in French) :help: :help: :help:
it's easy:

1- run the "install.exe" file. you will be taken to the configuration screen
2- select "change the hardware configuration"
3- press "n" for no when it asks if the configuration is correct.
4- select the first option (language) and you will have 3 languages available: english, french and german
5- select the language you want
6- press "y" to confirm this configuration
7- you will get a "press any key" which will close the install program
8- this will create a bat file (comm.bat) run it and enjoy the game

valium
26-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Shrek+Aug 24 2005, 07:11 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shrek @ Aug 24 2005, 07:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Guest@Aug 24 2005, 04:54 PM
:help:* :help:* :help: hi, I am new on "Abondonia" and I will have wanted to know how one makes to change the language of "dune 1" into French (I remembers y to have played in French)* :help:* :help:* :help:
it's easy:

1- run the "install.exe" file. you will be taken to the configuration screen
2- select "change the hardware configuration"
3- press "n" for no when it asks if the configuration is correct.
4- select the first option (language) and you will have 3 languages available: english, french and german
5- select the language you want
6- press "y" to confirm this configuration
7- you will get a "press any key" which will close the install program
8- this will create a bat file (comm.bat) run it and enjoy the game [/b][/quote]
very thanks :cheers:

blagovest
21-09-2005, 04:34 PM
It`s adventure and strategic!My dream has come true!Great graphics also!
I wonder if someone makes a remake of it! :ok:

22-09-2005, 11:16 AM
How do i attack the harkonen?I mean how to tellmy fremen to do it

Shrek
22-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Sep 22 2005, 12:16 PM
How do i attack the harkonen?I mean how to tellmy fremen to do it
hum, in what stage of the game are you?

you need "troops" and you will only get them after you meet Stilgar... read burner' s walkthrough if you stucked....

Guest_Eddie
10-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Dune is an absolutely awesome game. I first played this game when I was about 12, and have played the game roughly once a year ever since. It was really difficult at first but suddenly you work out that you've always got to stay on top of spice production or you'll get into trouble.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a couple of strange experiences I had with this game. The very first time I completed this game I somehow managed to do it without going down any of the ecology plotline completely unintentionally. I didn't bother with Chani (I didn't realise what to do and since she wouldn't come with me I left her behind), and as a consequence never met Liet Kynes, and also never learned how to ride a worm. I'm not sure how I completed the game in this way because the spice from the dozens of sietches revealed by Chani and Kynes is enormous. Must have been pretty close.

The other weird event was when, at the final battle for the Harkonnen palace I managed to get to the palace before the battle was over. The usual battle screen appeared, but once it ended I spoke to Stilgar outside the palace (who I'd asked to come with me from the sietch where they had all gathered). I spoke to him and he told me that the Fremen were working on turning the fortress into a sietch. I waited 2 days (the normal time) and - yep - they turned the palace into a sietch!

Upon going into the new sietch the game didn't end in its normal way. In fact, it was now impossible to end it. But inside were the Baron Harkonnen, Feyd Rautha Harkonnen and the Emperor. I could talk to them, and they said a couple of things that were otherwise not part of the game.

I have never been able to replicate this situation. Very strange.

scorpio
14-10-2005, 04:01 AM
I hope you guys don't mind me butting in on the discussion, but I discovered Abandonia after a boring afternoon, surfing the web for PC games :D I didn't know I would stumble upon a treasure chest!

Anyway, I am a big fan of the Dune books and I was just blown away to discover there was an existing game I could download (I've never played this before, computers were not yet the rage when this game came out where I live.) This game is awesome! I love strategy-adventure games, too and to have that and my most favorite characters in literature in one game ... wow. I've been playing it for three days now.

Ecology/plants raise the motivation of your troops. I found this out after a Fremen chieftain told me something like the experiments were raising my troops morale, and then I found out that my victorious troops started having 100% motivation. Easier to win battles that way.

A few more tips:

1. Thufir is always right, good old Thufir :D Start at the Ergsun region if you want to attack the Harkonnens. I initially attacked at the Carthag region and my troops always got their butts whupped.
2. Don't use the "Skip to Nearest Destination" button often. You'll discover more new sietches if you don't. And always fly with Harah/Gurney/Stilgar or Chani
3. Troops learn faster if Gurney is with them
4. Click on everything :D

I still have to finish my game, but am almost there.

SupSuper
14-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Just when I was doing so well, so close to the end with my troops kicking the Harkonnen's behind, I forget about the spice production and the Emperor kicks my behind. Now I have to start all over :cry:

Guest_Bob
15-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I had a problem getting my sound to work too. Anyone else that can't get it to work - check the config. dosbox 0.63 has the SB16 DMA for 3, and the Dune download has it set to default DMA 1. Change 1 to 3 in the dune install, and the sound should work like a charm!

Tachyon
15-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Don't forget, give your prospectors an Ornithopter. That way, they move faster.

As for attacking Harkonnen fortresses, tactic is simple.

1)Send Spies.
2)Ascertain level of Weapons.
3)Attack with bigger no. of troops and [IMPORTANT] make sure u have the same weapons as the Harkonnen garrison, i.e if they have nukes, make sure all ur troops have them.

Secondary Tip : Ride on a sandworm and head to the battlefield, ur troops will get a huge (!) morale boost.

Undertaker
27-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Guest_Eddie@Oct 10 2005, 02:22 PM
The other weird event was when, at the final battle for the Harkonnen palace I managed to get to the palace before the battle was over. The usual battle screen appeared, but once it ended I spoke to Stilgar outside the palace (who I'd asked to come with me from the sietch where they had all gathered). I spoke to him and he told me that the Fremen were working on turning the fortress into a sietch. I waited 2 days (the normal time) and - yep - they turned the palace into a sietch!

Upon going into the new sietch the game didn't end in its normal way. In fact, it was now impossible to end it. But inside were the Baron Harkonnen, Feyd Rautha Harkonnen and the Emperor. I could talk to them, and they said a couple of things that were otherwise not part of the game.

I have never been able to replicate this situation. Very strange.
I had that once, too! I couldn't repeat it as wel...

There's also a nice bug that gives you infinite spice and prolongs the time you have for the next shipment. It's been a while since I've played the game, so I might explain it wrongly.

After you've sent the requested spice, leave the room (ignore that Duncan whines about that). Get back in the room. I believe the spice was sent again. If your amount of spice gets negative, it becomes in the millions!

I might be mistaken, but it works something like that...

I got the CD version with speech (!) from some other site, but too bad the downloads aren't for free nowadays...

laiocfar
27-10-2005, 11:01 AM
1)Send Spies.
2)Ascertain level of Weapons.
3)Attack with bigger no. of troops and [IMPORTANT] make sure u have the same weapons as the Harkonnen garrison, i.e if they have nukes, make sure all ur troops have them.

Secondary Tip : Ride on a sandworm and head to the battlefield, ur troops will get a huge (!) morale boost.

I already finished it many times but never get it this of spies, so i never knows garrison equipment and many of my troops got captured by small garrisons, or go to battle with the sandworm. I will try all this stuff :ok:

GamerMom
27-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi there,

I'm a big fan of Dune. I played it for the first time almost 15 years ago on my old 386. Never finished the game, didn't know how.

I just found Abandonia.com about a week ago, and was happily surprised to find the game available for download. I've been playing it for a few days, whenever time permits, totally love it. Still have a long way to go on the game. So far, I've restarted about five times :crazy:

As many of you have indicated in the forum, I'm having problems with the sound, don't know what the problem is. I've tried DOSBox, but it hasn't helped. I've heard about D-Fend and VDM Sound, but don't know how to use them.

I just did a online search and found the CD version of Dune available for download at some other place The link will take you to the download site. I've tried it and IT'S AWSOME! It's the first time ever I've heard the music along with the game and the voices are so cool! I think it plays a little slow, maybe it's just me, don't know.

For those of you on the last stages of the game, below are some tips I found online, it's from a walthrough written by Beno Jange, available at www.gamefaqs.com (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/564692.html)

When you send your spy troops you'll get these information:

- "Looks like there're no Harkonnen troops around"
The enemy troop has left the sietch.

- "They might be dangerous Muad'Dib ..."
The enemy troop is equipped with krys.

- "They ARE dangerous Muad'Dib ... AND they've got arms, indeed."
The enemy troop is equipped with laser guns.

- "Armement is impressive here. We can see that ... well trained, too"
The enemy troop is equipped with weirding module.

- "Muad'Dib, We've got here the toughest Harkonnen, armed to the teeth"
The enemy troop is in expert level and possibly equipped with atomic
weapon.

Have a great DUNE time, and :sniper: the Harkonnen!

laiocfar
28-10-2005, 10:36 PM
WOW, all this time sending my troops without make intel fisrt

GamerMom
01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
:Brain: I finally finished the game,!!! :bannana:

I played from start to finish on the version I downloaded from here! It was GREAT! :ok: It did take me about 10 hours to finish it! Well, it was the first time anyway.

Now I will start a new game playing from the CD version and see how it goes!

What an awsome game! Cheers!!! :cheers:

*Happy*
02-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Tachyon@Oct 15 2005, 04:02 PM
Don't forget, give your prospectors an Ornithopter. That way, they move faster.

Didn't know about the Ornis and Prospectors... thanks for the tip!

As for the sandworm-riding, remember if your troops lose and you're present at the battle, you'll get killed! On the other hand it can turn a battle...

It's been some time since I last played, but as i recall you can just speak to the Fremen Leaders during the battle and they'll tell you how the battle is going.

If they urge you to get away, then you must get away quickly! Your troops will certainly lose.

If they say that your presence may win the battle for them, it's pretty risky - your troops may win, but it is not always so.

Finally, if they say the're winning, you're safe and your troops will certainly win the battle.

You should rescue Chani - if you dont your troops get a huge penalty to morale.

Another thing, DON'T try going to a battle in an Orni - you'll ALWAYS be shot down and killed.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Atreides themselves seem to have pitifully few troops - just the handful of palace guards?

Iguana
02-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Somebody help me plz:

How can i get the Fremen to take the harvester, from the Smugglers village, if i want to send them there they say that they dont want to, and would only go there to pick up Equipment, and leave then, but how can i order this ?

SupSuper
02-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Iguana@Nov 2 2005, 02:38 PM
Somebody help me plz:

How can i get the Fremen to take the harvester, from the Smugglers village, if i want to send them there they say that they dont want to, and would only go there to pick up Equipment, and leave then, but how can i order this ?
When giving orders to the Fremen troops, select Change Troop Occupation and Go & Search for Equipment.

04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
ok thanks

xoopx
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
the full CD version is worth picking up (i got mine on ebay) the crappy orni-flying animation isnt any good.. but the VOICES for all the speech is.

laiocfar
09-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Muad'Dib..... what was Muad'Dib out of the dune universe?

another_guest
09-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by laiocfar@Nov 9 2005, 03:26 AM
In case that's a philosophical, retorical question, ignore my answer below :)

Muad'Dib = Paul Atreides' Fremen name, chosen after a sort of hopping desert mouse. The Fremen associated this creature with some good characteristic which I've forgotten. Though I remember the movie(s?) told it slightly differently.

laiocfar
09-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Ignored but i am sure that the Muad'Dib was someone outside, i will repeat it, OUTSIDE Dune and the fremens.

another_guest
10-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Never heard that before, except for a crap article on Wikipedia...

http://www.uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Muad'Dib

laiocfar
15-11-2005, 02:42 AM

I remember it :D . Muad'Dib was a sort of envoy of Ala. There were many falses Muad'Dibs in the history. The last one, lived in Egipt. He fighted the frenchs armies of Napoleon. He told to his followers that thay were untouchable to the french bullets. With near 10000 mens they made a surprise attack on a lost fort with french troops. His name became famous and a danger to Napoleon. A general attacked him with 8000 elites troops and the result were 56 french dead and near 4000 of the followers of this Muad'Dib. The Muad'Dib told to his people that only the people with a true and complete fait were unvulnerable. And took the lead in the first place in a charge in a new battle. A french bullet killed him... :sniper:

JimmyJ
15-11-2005, 02:49 AM
LOL, thats like, a PERFECT case of irony..If i were one of those soldiers, i wouldn't have listened to Muad'Dib, id've gone medival on him, bullets may not kill him, but axes can! :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan:

Blood-Pigggy
22-11-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't like the design in this game.
It really doesn't portray the Dune universe as it should have been, unlike Dune 2 or Dune 2000/Emperor or even the film, it gives it a kinda cartoony bizarre look (the ornithopters just look stupid).
Otherwise the game is great, it's just the strange design.

*Happy*
24-11-2005, 08:02 PM
I'll add another mistake regarding background: laser weapons. Shouldn't be used by ground troops according to the Dune books.

laiocfar
25-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Well, i found weird that the troops can use knives or nukes :blink:

*Happy*
25-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I think the nukes represent the Harkonnen Death Hand missiles (after all, they can only be found in Harkonnen forts). And the knives are used by Fremen - they're made from the teeth of the Sandoworms (but I don't know how they can beat guys with laser rifles using only knives). :blink:

another_guest
26-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by *Happy*@Nov 24 2005, 09:02 PM
I'll add another mistake regarding background: laser weapons. Shouldn't be used by ground troops according to the Dune books.
It's the same with the "weirding modules". That's all based on the movies instead of the books.
As for the knives + nukes: that's according to the books. At some point in time, a jihad against machines & computers took place, but apparently nuclear weapons survived this. Which partly makes sense, the only way to get rid of them is to use them... In the books not just the Harkonnen have a nuclear arsenal, most of the greater houses do.

laiocfar
27-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Liked more the games than the movies

tomf
01-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Are there any trainsers/cheats/hex editing guides to get infinite spice

another_guest
01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
I have no idea. I once tried finding where they stored the spice figure in the savegames, but I couldn't find those amounts anywhere.

guest without sound
03-12-2005, 12:35 PM
hi,

i tried to play Dune 1 some time ago but i cant get the sound to actually work and i tried added programs and everything but it still doesnt work... :wall:

i got "windows XP" and a "sound blaster live" sound card... can anyone please help me on figuring out how i can get the sound to work? :help:

tomf
03-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I couldn't find the addresses anywhere either

SupSuper
03-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by tomf@Dec 3 2005, 02:22 PM
I couldn't find the addresses anywhere either
The installation utility automatically detects the addresses. To change them use "Automatic Configuration" when running on Windows XP, it'll fail and ask you for the port and irq.

Anyways, for some reason the utility saves the changes to COMM.BAT and not DUNE.BAT, so just run that instead and it'll work.

Also, for those unaware, you can save the game elsewhere besides the mirror. Wherever you have the "SEE DUNE MAP" option, just click on it and then click on the Globe on the bottom-left side.

Hope all of this helps :)

tomf
04-12-2005, 07:07 AM
No I was talking about the hex addresses in the save games for the spice

04-12-2005, 09:10 AM
nope that doesnt make the sound work either.... i actually allready tried that...
i tried every port in the install menu with both the dune.bat and the comm.bat and still the sound never works :wall:

harrys boy
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
yeah i cant get sound to work either, it isnt actually available in the option menu i've noticed, you can't select sound to be on. Im running on Windows ME i dont know if thats the problem?

04-12-2005, 02:07 PM
ive now got it to work, using comm with the new settings through dos box worked a treat, time to re-live those memories, what a classic!

SupSuper
04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 4 2005, 10:10 AM
nope that doesnt make the sound work either.... i actually allready tried that...
i tried every port in the install menu with both the dune.bat and the comm.bat and still the sound never works :wall:
Remember that sound might not work without VDMSound / DOSBox.
Also, if the setup utility still isn't saving the settings properly, you can always edit the DUNE.BAT yourself. Replace the last line with:
- duneprg ENG VGA SDB2207 EMS 386 (for Soundblaster Port 220 IRQ 7 sound)
- duneprg ENG VGA ADL EMS 386 (for Adlib Sound)

04-12-2005, 05:25 PM

but the voices of the characters still dont :wall:

is there anything i can do about that? :tomato:

SupSuper
04-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 4 2005, 06:25 PM

but the voices of the characters still dont :wall:

is there anything i can do about that? :tomato:
There's only voices in the full CD version, so you'll have to settle for text :P

04-12-2005, 08:09 PM

i am now downloading the full cd version, i didnt know there where 2 versions of the game.

05-12-2005, 08:51 AM
well i got the full cd-version now but i dont have sound again, because if i do the same thing as with the other version i just get a black screen and then it doesnt do anything anymore :wall:

SupSuper
05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 5 2005, 09:51 AM
well i got the full cd-version now but i dont have sound again, because if i do the same thing as with the other version i just get a black screen and then it doesnt do anything anymore :wall:
Iirc, the executable of the CD version is named different. Replace "duneprg" with the correct filename (I think it's "duncdprg" or something).

05-12-2005, 12:46 PM
well now the voices work but the music doesnt :cry:

is there anything i have to do with my sound settings to change this? :wall:

SupSuper
05-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 5 2005, 01:46 PM
well now the voices work but the music doesnt* :cry:

is there anything i have to do with my sound settings to change this? :wall:
Check if it's On (and the volume) in the in-game options? Try to run the setup utility? Otherwise I'm all out of ideas.

07-12-2005, 07:12 PM
in the setup menu it says: no music

this is strange because if i select the right sound card there he says he cant find it while he is able to find it with the voices...

07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
i made him find the sound card by copying the Dune.bat and used setup to change the music thingy to a soundcard he did find (those didnt work with me) and then pasted the part in the other copied .bat file back in the one edited with setup... then it worked... and it's on the soundcard the setup cant select so dont use setup after this...

13-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Aug 24 2005, 03:54 PM
Hi, I would like to create a Spanish language version for the game. Can this be done? What files should I edit, and with what software?

Does anybody know? Thanks.

18-12-2005, 07:16 PM
you can change the language in the in-game menu

MCMoses
19-12-2005, 06:38 AM
about edit dune - files:

check out: http://sorry.vse.cz/~roman/dimension/rdos/rdosplay/

well, it's just an info, the program didn't ran at my computer, and I think it's just for playing music.....

What I found out is: *.hsq is a kind of packed files, you need unhsq.exe to "unzip" it, but I never found it on net.

*.m32 could be a music (midi) file, found no program to open it resp. the program didn't ran. It also could be graphics as I found out, I tried 2 or 3 programs desinged for m32 graphics but they couldn't open it too.

ANOTHER QUESTION: Does somebody has an map with all sietches and villages??

22-12-2005, 04:26 PM
why edit??? the spanish version allread is in the full cd version...

27-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Man this is really annoying me! Ive got the original CD infront of me but it wont run on my XP system.

Ive installed the game... and got a directory called DUNECD and inside is a dune.bat

So i got DOSBox... and even with the help it gives me i cant get the game to run from the CD so i have the voices...

Can anyone type the DoS style code in DOSBox that will allow me to run this game with voices...

Cheers

SupSuper
27-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 27 2005, 08:07 PM
Man this is really annoying me! Ive got the original CD infront of me but it wont run on my XP system.

Ive installed the game... and got a directory called DUNECD and inside is a dune.bat

So i got DOSBox... and even with the help it gives me i cant get the game to run from the CD so i have the voices...

Can anyone type the DoS style code in DOSBox that will allow me to run this game with voices...

Cheers
Check the posts above, they might help.

27-12-2005, 11:52 PM
ive read all of them! but im not getting how i can get the cd version to run...

another_guest
28-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 28 2005, 12:52 AM
ive read all of them! but im not getting how i can get the cd version to run...
I've never tried to get the CD-version running, but experimenting with the sound settings in Dosbox certainly is a lot easier if you use D-Fend as a front end to Dosbox, no need for Dos commands anymore:
http://members.home.nl/mabus/dfend.htm

28-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Right well i copied all the files from the CD to a folder called DUNE.

So in DOSBox i mounted a drive called F with the folder e:\dune

then ran the program and it ran the setup again... so i moved the .bat file into this folder... and set the saved games to be saved to f:

Then they game ran!! With sound... but its jerking... not smooth... any ideas?

another_guest
28-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 28 2005, 09:26 AM
Then they game ran!! With sound... but its jerking... not smooth... any ideas?
First check if it's a performance/speed issue or not, by increasing the number of CPU cycles and maybe even skipping a frame.

If that doesn't help, you'll have to fiddle with Dosbox' sound settings. I'm not an expert on those, so I hope someone else can give you guidance on those. Personally I just try a few drop-down combinations in D-Fend (for example "type of soundblaster") and see which one works best.

MCMoses
03-01-2006, 06:34 AM
I think I had the same problem...

When you install dune it creates, as you said, a folder DUNECD. Edit the bat - file in this folder. Go to the line where the command is that runs dune, it has argument: two for music, language and extended memory. If you've done setup correct, there is a number behind one of the music arguments. Delete it.

Try also writting at the beginnig of the bat file:
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1
(If these are your soundblaster settings)

I'm sorry that I could not give you a concret help, I installed it on another computer, I will get there this weekend. So if you're still having problems, on monday I'm back and am able to post the bat file.

Jason Butcher
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I liked this game alot, so two days ago I purchased the game for a small amount of 8$.
I bought "The white label"-version, and what a suprise. The animations were stunning. In tha abandonian-version, which I guess is the original (correct me if I'm wrong) you just fly over some dunes and rocks. In The White Label Dune you fly in i virtual world, round large dunes and in narrow mountain-valleys.
The Sietchs is remade on the outside so it blends in to the games atmosphear, the castle got filled of statues on the outside.
Almost everything that was a bit "bad" or not so well made in the originalversion has got an facelift.

Or is it just me who didn't install the abandonian-version correct...

Tom Henrik
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds too me like you bought the remake ;)

Jason Butcher
14-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Why not put the remake up here for the people the play. Those who like Dune will LOVE the White label. The files are in total on 360 MB. But what the hack, it's so worth it.
Contact me if you want the game and have an e-mail without maximum size, i'm not soo keen on sending away my CD...

24-01-2006, 11:18 PM
what is this about a remake

24-01-2006, 11:25 PM
how do i get dune to run on my comp i can't figure it out i have windows xp

Master MC
24-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Have you tried Dos Box yet? Make sure you install your sound driver.
Please consult this page if problems keep coming back. (http://nahoo.net/games/dune2/faq/)

*edit*
Sorry do not look at this page, I thought you meant Dune II.

24-01-2006, 11:42 PM
is it possible not to have dos installed on a computer this new

Master MC
24-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Erm.. What do you mean?
Is your computer new, and do you not wish to have any software installed?
Or do you claim that dos does not work on new computers (Windows)?

To both questions: use DosBox. Or you will not be able to make Dune work.

24-01-2006, 11:51 PM
where is a good place to download dosbox and what version should i look for

24-01-2006, 11:58 PM
now i have dosbox but dune won't run it says can't run dos and windows

Master MC
24-01-2006, 11:59 PM
You can choose the version here (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1). If you have Windows, get 0.63. Since you're not used to the program, you might want to consult this page:
http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1

25-01-2006, 12:22 AM
it still won't work :cry:

laiocfar
25-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Are u sure that are u doing all right? u know how mount a local disk?
Post step by step how are u doing in dosbox and dont worry u will fix it.

jd
25-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Can anyone get the sound to work in XP?

Master MC
25-01-2006, 01:29 PM
No. No one can. Only Superman.
Download DosBOX.

jd
25-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Sorry in meant in DosBox 0.63 via XP.

Master MC
25-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Now that you mention it, I also can't remember playing with sound...
I also used Windows 98 with Virtual PC (now THAT is the ultimate Dos emulator!), without sound. Maybe there's a sound driver installer?

25-01-2006, 08:44 PM
yea i found my cd
so i mounted the E:drive
and typed install
but when it tries to install is says there is an error createing the file help me

laiocfar
26-01-2006, 04:03 AM
U havenīt to install it, u should unzip it and run the program .exe :ok:

Damirux
30-01-2006, 09:09 AM
The game is great!
For saving positions click on SEE DUNE MAP, then on planet icon on left (after that menu below appears with options of saving game positions).

paulypoos
31-01-2006, 08:28 AM
I couldnt get ANY sound at all when I started the game with dosbox or windows (with vdmsound), I was starting the game by typing DUNE. I then tried typing COMM instead (another batch file in the directory) and the game started up fine with all the great music...so anyone having problems, remember COMM and not DUNE.

Menasor
31-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Does this copy of Dune have that Cheat Modifier? Ive got an old copy on two disks form back in the day...and at the dos prompt you execute d.exe and it runs the game with the modifier...

Dune ranks as my favourite all time game...Still waiting for a game that would be similar to it...Has anyone played Reunion?

SRT4Driver
31-01-2006, 04:22 PM
when i try and unzip
and run program all it says is can't run windows and dos at the same time

tomf
13-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Hey Jason Butcher do you think you could maybe upload it to a ftp site or a free web hosting site because then I can uise my dl manager and Master MC where can I get Virtual Pc? and the final one is to everyone, Is there any way to get infinite spice?

PauloftheFall
14-02-2006, 02:42 AM
is there anyone/anyway we can make the updated white label version available, i really love this game and would like to check out these improvements...

cheers

Icewolf
14-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by SRT4Driver@Jan 31 2006, 06:22 PM
when i try and unzip
and run program all it says is can't run windows and dos at the same time
Did you try DosBox?

@ Paulofthefall: I have the white label version, but I can't upload it
cause my upstream is too crappy... :tomato:

Quin
19-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I was really impressed with this back in 1994-5 finished it then and even now I prefer its simplicity over some modern action games. bonito!!

Dave
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Dune world rulez!
It grown me up... :kosta:
Does anybody know why Westwood studios has abandoned it?
:angry:

Icewolf
03-03-2006, 06:39 AM
I think because Westwood was closed... :cry:

Horscht
14-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Can anyone tell me how many sietches you visited??and how many fremen troops are working??

i have 45 fremen troops and approximately 78-80 sietches when i counted correctly.

Icewolf
14-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Look at the spice map. If there are gaps that are not totally on rocky area you micht miss sietches. Once I flew with an orni round and round dune and didn't find any more sietches so I guess I've seen them all!

Another thing is that you can look at the names:
-Tuek -Timin and so on...
You can also check if you are complete this way. :ok:

Horscht
14-03-2006, 01:31 PM
i spent hours flying with the orni and didn't find a sietch!
but how many troops do you have? and sietches??

Icewolf
14-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I have to see if I still have the game installed and then I can tell you.

Rogue
14-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by David86@Mar 2 2006, 11:45 AM
Dune world rulez!
It grown me up... :kosta:
Does anybody know why Westwood studios has abandoned it?
:angry:
C&C games are kind of Dunish...

Dave
17-03-2006, 02:44 PM
...mmhhh...the style is similar,but the story is different...have you ever read the Herbert's books?
I hope someone will do a remake of the first game based on the book... :rolleyes:

Master MC
17-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Nooo, House Ordos rules!
I think everyone dislikes Ordos.

laiocfar
18-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Ordos are too sneaky and u cant trust them, better be a sandworm

_M@gno
18-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Ordos is a house made by Westwood Studios isn't it?. I mean... Did Frank Herbert (or his son) write about Ordos?

another_guest
18-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by _M@gno@Mar 18 2006, 03:48 AM
Ordos is a house made by Westwood Studios isn't it?. I mean... Did Frank Herbert (or his son) write about Ordos?
Exactly, the Ordos didn't feature in Herbert's books (unless as one of the nameless houses in the Landsraad). Plenty of sites on the net telling the history behind the creation of House Ordos.

_M@gno
18-03-2006, 04:10 PM
And one of those sites would be... ?

Master MC
18-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Ordos)?

another_guest
18-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Exactly, even just googling for "history of the house ordos" (without quotation marks) links to it first :)

Glista
19-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I have read all of the Dune books series and played all of the games. And I can say that this is the best of the Dune games I've played :D
The CD version of the game has extra cutscenes from The Dune movie :ok:

Dave
19-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Wow...I finished it 2 times...fantastic! :kosta:

Orly
19-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I have to tell you that I've read this entire forum back and forth a million times and I finally got the music to work but not the speech. When I go to the mixer I can't click on the speech or voice, whatever it's called, volume fader because it's not available and I don't know what else to try. I've tried everything i've read on this forum and nothing. Can anyone put a step by step detailed, nice and slow, manual on how to get the speech to work?

Master MC
19-03-2006, 10:41 PM
I can't remember playing this game with any sound at all...
Must be me then.

Orly
19-03-2006, 11:20 PM
I didn't download what I think is the full cd version of it off of abandonia, I think the one on abandonia is the original text version with only music, I downloaded it off http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=345

For some weird reason when I try to run the dune.bat file the screen just goes black and stays there. But when I run I think the dune.exe the game runs fine with music but no speech. Can't adjust the voice fader in the mixer menu. Here are my specs:

Windows XP Pro with SP2
Gigabyte motherboard with onboard sound card

I'm getting fustrated with trying to make it work from downloading online so I'll probably just buy it off ebay or something. THIS IS ANNOYING!!

Glista
23-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi! I need dunecd.r59 file and HOTU is dead!
Yes, I remember I've had the same problem with speech/sound and that I solved it, but I forgot how. And if I could install the game again, I'd be able to tell you how to turn it on. So please, anyone, help!

Glista
23-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, mount the game dir as C: drive and the same dir as a CD-ROM drive (D:), then tell the game to place savegames in C:\ and setup the sound by runnig install.exe

Mounting your game dir as C: and savegame path changing is not necessary if the installation doesn't take long to start itself!

That should solve all of your sound problems.

EscAbe
31-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I haven't read the complete topic so maybe it's here already.

FULL CD VERSION DOWNLOAD (fast server):

http://www.jucaushii.ro/download_237_Dune_...ion_golden.html (http://www.jucaushii.ro/download_237_Dune_CD_version_golden.html)

EscAbe
31-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh yeah and for sound just use VDMSound (http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/), that's a SB16 emulator for Windows 2000 and XP. Install it, restart your computer, unpack dune, open a dos prompt, type "dosdrv" (to start VDMSound), install dune using "install.exe" (you might need to set the Soundblaster IRQ to 7 manually during install) and play the game. You don't need all the other stuff which DosBox emulates.

Swarog
02-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Right, so i got the game running nicely with sound in XP, no need for DosBox there.

However, I've walked into the desert to get my first vision many times, have restarted the game, but each time to the same result. Nothing happens except for eventual death by dehydration. :help:

Just finished Dune Legends: Battle For Corrin btw. These prequels by Herbert's son and that Anderson (?) guy arten't bad reading at all, but they just don't have that epic, heavy FEEL of the original(s). The stories aren't bad, and much thought has gone into them... but naaah.. let me put it this way, if Herbert's Dune inspired strategy games, these new ones would inspire first person shoot 'em ups with elements of space battle simulation..

Swarog
03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Trid playing it from the beginning is dosbox, same thing; I find the sietchs and the next step would be the vision, yet the only comment I get from walking the desert is Jessica saying I look tired. *sigh*:cry:

Tonight we be a Dune-fest btw, just rented the movie (1h59min) and Children of Dune (3 dvds, 4h 8min).. :ok:

Eagle of Fire
03-04-2006, 07:52 PM
If I remember well, you must get out at night... Then you come back to your castle and you'll know you have succeeded if your eyes begin to turn blue when you look at the mirror.

Rogue
03-04-2006, 07:57 PM
I believe that process is a bit longer...

You can follow walkthrough. :)

Shrek
03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by EscAbe@Mar 31 2006, 05:21 PM

http://Dont_bother_following_this_link_bec...ot;_him.alre ady ('http://Dont_bother_following_this_link_because_I_"fixed"_him.already')
Is it ok to have this link here? :blink:

another_guest
04-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Swarog@Apr 3 2006, 04:47 PM
Trid playing it from the beginning is dosbox, same thing; I find the sietchs and the next step would be the vision, yet the only comment I get from walking the desert is Jessica saying I look tired. *sigh*:cry:
It's not necessary to go into the desert at night, but you have to be far enough so that you don't see the palace anymore. I think 3-4 "steps" in a straight line from the palace were enough.
And yes, there's an excellent walkthrough all over the internet (just google for it :)), better check it to see if you missed something.

Icewolf
04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Swarog@Apr 3 2006, 05:47 PM
I find the sietchs and the next step would be the vision, yet the only comment I get from walking the desert is Jessica saying I look tired. *sigh*:cry:

I don't get your point! :blink:
When you had your vision you go back to the palace and tell them about it...
Oh, and you have to go alone!

Swarog
04-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Icewolf@Apr 4 2006, 11:23 AM
I don't get your point!* :blink:
When you had your vision you go back to the palace and tell them about it...
Oh, and you have to go alone!

But the point is that I never HAVE A VISION.:wall:

I go into the desert, I walk around (not seeing the palace), alone, BUT even though my eyes turn blue I see NO VISION. I have followed the walktrhough to the letter, yet the the vision doesn't trigger. Oh well.

The Fifth Horseman
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Go away from the palace. About three spaces after you stop seeing it. Then wait there. You'll see a vision.

Rogue
04-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Shrek+Apr 3 2006, 05:51 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shrek @ Apr 3 2006, 05:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-EscAbe@Mar 31 2006, 05:21 PM

http://Dont_bother_following_this_link_bec...ot;_him.alre ady ('http://Dont_bother_following_this_link_because_I_"fixed"_him.already')
Is it ok to have this link here? :blink: [/b][/quote]
Not sure if it is OK, but thanks to you I'm downloading it. :D

Why I missed it yesterday, no idea... :blink:

rps4848
05-04-2006, 12:42 AM
I just bought the first dune game from Virgin Interactive. It was a favorite of mine growing up, but I can't run it. Do i need a DOS emulator or what? Would love some help...

another_guest
05-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by rps4848@Apr 5 2006, 12:42 AM
I just bought the first dune game from Virgin Interactive. It was a favorite of mine growing up, but I can't run it. Do i need a DOS emulator or what? Would love some help...
According to the review here on Abandonia, it should be working fine on Windows XP. However I remember I had to run it through Dosbox (DOS emulator you can download from Abandonia) to get past the intro. So best give that a shot.

rps4848
05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
According to the review here on Abandonia, it should be working fine on Windows XP. However I remember I had to run it through Dosbox (DOS emulator you can download from Abandonia) to get past the intro. So best give that a shot.

i have Dosbox, but when i go to install the game it wont create the file on the c drive. any tips?

Rogue
05-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Here (http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1) is Abandonia's DOSBOx tutorial. When you set properly your DOSBox, then it should work.

If you downloaded game from Abandonia, then you don't have to install the game. Just unzip it to your C-Drive folder and play it. :)

rps4848
05-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Here is Abandonia's DOSBOx tutorial. When you set properly your DOSBox, then it should work.

i get as far as the CD program launcher (post installation) and then it won't run the program. i just sit there typing commands and getting illegal command responses.

rps4848
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
scratch that. got the game running, but with so sound. downloaded VDM sound, but when i try to run it in dosbox, dosbox "encounters an error" and shuts down. help me because i feel DUMB

The Fifth Horseman
06-04-2006, 08:06 AM
1. Check DosBox.conf and set the soundcard emulation to Sound Blaster Pro or Sound Blaster 2 Pro.
2. Check the game's setup file, and make sure it is configured to use Sound Blaster, IRQ 7, 220h, DMA 1.

Unregistered User
29-04-2006, 01:16 AM
To fix DUNE sound audio under XP try

duneprg AMR VGA MID330 HIM 386

in dune.bat

:Titan: :ok: :bye:

Christoph
23-05-2006, 07:43 PM
HOW TO ACTIVATE SOUNDBLASTER!

Great Game.

for me the setup (install.exe) didnt work to change soundsettings, but i found
a way to activate the soundblaster (im sure you need dosbox anyway).
Just edit the dune.bat and write SDB just behind the 386... you can also set the language there. My dune.bat now looks like this:
@echo off
duneprg GER VGA EMS 386 SDB

you can also write ADL for adlib.. but who wants this, when soundblaster can do the work ;)

28-05-2006, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Menasor @ Jan 31 2006, 03:42 PM) 202028</div>
Does this copy of Dune have that Cheat Modifier? Ive got an old copy on two disks form back in the day...and at the dos prompt you execute d.exe and it runs the game with the modifier...

Dune ranks as my favourite all time game...Still waiting for a game that would be similar to it...Has anyone played Reunion?
[/b]
Would you, or anyone else, happen to still have the cheat?
I am currenlty searching for it, and iit seems, that every copy you find from the cheat on any site I looked is missing the overlay file, dune.trn
So the cheat comes back with, Trainer missing overlay. Then the cheat doesn't work.

Could anybody help me with this?

Mail me at scdebaay[at]hotmail.com.

Many thanks!

28-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Yihaaaaa!!! :titan:

Went to a shop today and saw the Dune CD-version for 0.98 eurocents...

"We saw you coming from the other sietch"

"uhmm..."

I'm off!!! :brain:

28-07-2006, 07:10 PM
And for the people who can't get the music to work (Win XP with Sp2)

Download VDMSound

Run install WITH VDM-sound (the cd-version stutters that it can't mount the file, neglect it)

Automatic configuration

Run dune with VDM-sound.

I have the VOICES and the Sound!

WOOOTTT :bleh:

The Fifth Horseman
31-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Congrats, dude!

Jazeker
05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Anyone that can help me ?

I used to LOVE this game and mostly the music. Now I get it to run under dosbox, but I get no music :crybaby:

Some tips perhaps ?

Thanks!

Sith-Avenger
05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jazeker @ Aug 5 2006, 07:19 PM) 246882</div>

I used to LOVE this game and mostly the music. Now I get it to run under dosbox, but I get no music :crybaby:

Some tips perhaps ?

Thanks!
[/b]

Hi,
have you tried the fix described in the post 2 slots above yours? If not then perhaps you could try that and see how you get on.

shun
12-08-2006, 04:34 AM
Hi

I had the same problem with Dosbox Jazeker.
Try to run "comm.bat" instead of "dune.bat".
The sound is ok, however I get no voices.

15-08-2006, 08:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sith-Avenger @ Aug 5 2006, 06:56 PM) 246892</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jazeker @ Aug 5 2006, 07:19 PM) 246882

Some tips perhaps ?

Thanks!
[/b]

Hi,
have you tried the fix described in the post 2 slots above yours? If not then perhaps you could try that and see how you get on.
[/b][/quote]

I am an idiot.

manan_force
06-09-2006, 12:29 PM
hey can anyone tell me please, where I can DL dune 2. I missed my old days games. and collecting them. thanks for help.

The Fifth Horseman
06-09-2006, 12:43 PM
You can download it from Abandonia, genius...

manan_force
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
gee. thanks man. DLed. :w00t:

EmDji
07-09-2006, 09:37 AM
i got the game several days ago and played a good part of it, but now i'm trying to attack harkonnen fortresses but i don't know how to get more than one fremen troup to attack at the same time
:sos: so please tell me how

Icewolf
07-09-2006, 09:57 AM
You do espionage with one team and then you tell as much other teams as you wish to attack(tell them to go to the fort the espionage is done).
But maximal eight teams at one fort.
And then you smash 'em >:)

Dave
04-01-2007, 07:37 PM
God...this game is a masterpiece... :kosta:
I hope that someone will make a great remake soon...

I'm reading the 3d Herbert book and now I want to play it again and again and again...

I've found the cd version,
can somebody tell me what is the difference between this and the normal one?

I've got some problems with the installation process...ther's no sound... :sos:

another_guest
05-01-2007, 08:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David86 @ Jan 4 2007, 09:37 PM) 273331</div>I've found the cd version,
can somebody tell me what is the difference between this and the normal one?[/b]

If memory serves me right the difference was that the cd version contained dialogues. So I hope you can get the sound to work :unsure:

Icewolf
05-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Yes, right a-guest.
The dialogs are spoken, so sound is important... ^_^
The CD version also has a - for that time - revolutionary animation of the ornithopter flight. You fly over the dune or the rocks, which is really animated.
In the normal version the flight just goes straight and there's a few bumps in the ground illustrating the dunes.

Dave
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Oh, really cool! Maybe the sandworm move like the orny... :w00t:
I'm gonna find a solution soon as possible...what can you tell me about vdmsound?
Could it be the solution?