PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help With Dos!

italausibello
23-10-2005, 06:58 PM
ok so im all new to this. im tryna set up DOS so i can play games on it. i was going through the DOSBox tutorial and im having a hard time tryna change the drive so that when i load DOS it says C:\> but right now it keeps saying Z:\>. ive played around with the DOSBox conf file where it says [autoexec] but it still wont change to C:\>. the tutorial says to change my cdrom to the approprite drive, my dvd/cdrom drive is F and ive tried doing that but when i load dos it still says Z:\>. can someone help me out with this please.

Eagle of Fire
23-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Here (http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm#02) is a list of all the DOS commands you can do under DOS. I don't think you can do more than a handfull in DOSBox tough, and they are all listed in the helpfiles.

To switch to your hard drive, let's say it's c:\

You type:
mount c c:
c:

And you should end up in your HD root directory, which is c:\

To mount CD drive or such, look here (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5738).

For a complete guide on how to configure DOS for games, look here (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7302).

italausibello
23-10-2005, 07:36 PM
im still lost here...i typed this into the DOSBox.conf file

mount C C:\DOS\CDrive
mount D F:\ -t cdrom
C:
CLS

(my cd/dvd drive is F) i expect to see C:\> when i load DOSBox instead i get Z:\> so my question is how do i get it to say C:\> instead of Z. once i get C i can finish off the rest of the tutorial and play games.

A. J. Raffles
23-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Have you actually created the folders yet?

win98
23-10-2005, 07:50 PM
You can also drag a games icon onto the dos box it will run the game automaticlly.

italausibello
23-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by win98@Oct 23 2005, 07:50 PM
You can also drag a games icon onto the dos box it will run the game automaticlly.
no ive tried dragging the file in and all i get is "cant find the INTERP.ERRcan't find INTERP.ERR

so i dont know what to do

italausibello
23-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Oct 23 2005, 07:46 PM
Have you actually created the folders yet?
ive already created the folders like it said so in the tutorial

win98
23-10-2005, 09:11 PM
okay i can't help you now so i will stay out of this conversation

Eagle of Fire
23-10-2005, 09:39 PM
i expect to see C:\> when i load DOSBox instead i get Z:\>
This is normal, it's how it work. You'll always get Z:\ at startup and need to manually set your drives unless you play with the DOSBox configuration file.

BeefontheBone
23-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Hang on a sec - did you put the entries in the dosbox.xonf file at the bottom after the section labelled [autoexec] ? otherwise it won't work. have you tried executing those same commands by typing them manually?

italausibello
24-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Oct 23 2005, 09:39 PM
i expect to see C:\> when i load DOSBox instead i get Z:\>
This is normal, it's how it work. You'll always get Z:\ at startup and need to manually set your drives unless you play with the DOSBox configuration file.
ok and mind telling me how i do that :help:

Nikson
24-10-2005, 02:50 AM
when you load DosBox you see Z:\
you type "mount c c:\"
you now STILL see Z:\
you type "c:"
you now see C:\

simple enough?