PDA

View Full Version : UFO - Enemy Unknown

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Kosta
11-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available) (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/38)

Titan
04-05-2004, 11:04 PM
hehe... got my 20 man army beaten by ONE etherial once...
equiped a Lightning with laser-canon to be able to take down crafts unhamed... took down a small-scout, but forgott to chk the race... wen't... and the etherial mindcontroled my ONLY man with blaster-launcher...

*exit, then load saved game*

Later, as in when you have caught an etherial ALIVE or a Sectoid Leader/Commander... you get to research PSI-powers.. this is a turningpoint in the game...

Petter1979
05-05-2004, 03:19 PM
I use alot of proximity grenades, when im on missions. hehe thats fun, also if they are not killed, i know where a alien are when they make a mistake and walk on it :)

Titan
05-05-2004, 11:51 PM
*L* Large scouts where sooooooo easy to over-run with Proxy-nades at the right door.. just place it 1 square outside... the second the alien steps throu the door, it blows up, and kills any other aliens also standing behind :)

Titan
24-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Hmmm... odd... since i just tried arming a crysalis with a blaster just to try if i was wrong ;)

I works.. just place the Crys. ontop of a blaster, go to a random soldier, click his properties, select next char. util you come to the Crys, pick the blaster up from the ground, and BANZAI! perfect suecide-squad... usualy have 1 with Heavy plasma och one with blaster in backpack (no reaction-fire here ;) infront of my storm-squad when taking on bases..

Regarding heavy plasma... i also recall sometime the walls gave after to a hit, but it's not common.. Blaster is the prefered way...

Anonymous
02-06-2004, 03:53 AM
It's not a new game, it's a remake of X-Com1 by fans all around the world. Most of them a full-time software engineers or full-time engineering Uni students.

Work is still underway, but the graphics are breathtaking. Just looking at the geoscope (the earth) you can see extreme 3D mountiain ridges interacting with the lighting effects, the weather changes and clouds, the bright lights of major cities at night ............

wanna see the clouds?
http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/artgeo10-800.jpg
or the lights?
http://www.projectxenocide.com/images/artgeo2-800.jpg
or a movie clip of gameplay?
http://www.projectxenocide.com/videos/xeno...0.4-640x480.wmv (http://www.projectxenocide.com/videos/xenocide-0.0.4-640x480.wmv)

Tom Henrik
02-06-2004, 05:27 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I was secretly dreaming of a remake of UFO-enemy unknown!
And now I see it has come through!! (How I love fans who dedicate their sparetime to improve games for the rest of us).

You say that work is still being done. Does that mean that the game is in progress, and not yet playable? Or is it a playable beta-version?

gregor
13-07-2004, 06:17 PM
you've been playing it since 95 and never used a grenade? no wonder you don't get far.
ok here are some tips:
1. when you prime the grenade you prime it for 0 turns. that way it will explode at the end of turn. killing alien close to it. later on it's better to do research and dicsover more powerfull alien greandes.

2. psi enemies are a real trouble. well at least untuill you do enough research to develope psi laboratory where you soldiers can train to defend against those attacks. but what thes elabs actually do is that they give you a number that shows which soldier is a liability and which one will repulse the attack. so if you see soldiers that are often targeted by enemy then they are probably weak in psi defence. you can fire them
alos enemy usualyl cant use teh psi unless he sees you. since they have an eyesight bigger then humans you have to search for them and eliminate them soon.

to do that you have to save your game often and on different slots. that way you can return to previous turn after you already found the alien that is doing the scounting for psi attackers. and don't worry abotu it after a while oyu will reseach alien technology to the level when you could do psi atacks. oh one thing that might have stopped you in your effort: BE SURE TO GET LIVE ALIENS (at least one from each spieces) TO YOUR BASE!!! they will porvide you with much need info for psi defence.

3. lasers are nto enough. you will have to do research to get alien vessels. you will have to get a live alien commander and navigator (commonly found in colonies control centers). they will give you info so you can buld better and stronger ship. with it you will be able to knock down battle ships in no time. they will also provide you with torpedo weapon that is the most powerful and a couple of shots will tear the battleship appart. untill you do all the research i suggest you just follow the battleship and then attack the aliens when they land. if the build a colony even better. you can killeveryone in colony (though at first you will just want to get in and get out fast) and get high score like that and increase funding.

gregor
14-07-2004, 03:12 PM
yes launchers are very good in start. however in X-com you can't use them outside of water (only grenades and STUN grenade launchers). also rocket launchers are useless against mayn aliens (like Tasoth in X-com). for those oyu need to develope new launchers from alien technology, but that takes time.
my advice would be use launcher as much as you can in begining but be also sure to develope alien weapons like ion cannon (in x-com)/plasma cannon (in UFO) which are more powerfull then earth based technology and are also more accurate. come to think of it there is no point in using scientists on earth based wepoan tech.

one more word about grenades (or better use alien pulse grenades which have much bigger power). in early part of the game they are vital in colony attack missions because colonies have aliens that are best killed with combination of grenade throw and a shot from weapon (i use explosive ammo only on early weapons).

don't foget to do aliebn reasearch to get new armour which will also help a lot (even the most common armour one can save a soldiers life)

later on with all tech developed the soldiers become a real one man army. i still have a savegame where i played and played the X-com because i didnt' know i need to click on Leviathan and select T'leth to go on final mission. i also for some reason wasn't able to research the mind control weapon (must have been some bug) because i didn't research in proper order ( did have molecular control labs for soldiers to train in so i could kick evryone that was weak). so the seamen have really buffed up. they had crazy accuracies and thowing range/accuracy. they just went out of the ship and killed everyone without moving away from the ship. the vehicle idd reconaiscense and men did the shooting. some had amn accuracy of almoust 200% whatever that means. in any case they never missed. it was simmilar with grenade throwing. the aliens panicked because i kiled a few on beginning and i just threw a few greandes in the movement area. BOOM! AAAAAAARGH! and they are history.

anyway the point is research research. and let the vehicles explore the map because if alien sees them they can't be taken under control.

good luck with the game. i know it's hard to play if you don't know at least a few tricks (like what to prioritize in research, or capturing live aliens in begining to do research on them, or how to find and deal with colony/terror site - thes eprovide the most points/money/technology in the game, or to have a really large number of scientists in beginning - 100 and more- to do the much needed research). oh and feel free to ask for any additional advice. this goes especially for "month32".

Anonymous
16-07-2004, 09:07 AM
Firstly, I have to apologize because of my poor English, but I must say some word about this game.

I haven't played it for a lot of years now, but I remember that this was one of my favourite games. Somebody asked about in which difficulty level we play? In the beginning I played in the easiest of course, but later I tried the hardest and with my lot of experiences it wasn't really hard. Maybe it was beacause of the fact that in the original game (without any patch) there aren't difficulty levels, because all are the same.

My most frequent eguipments were laser rifle and medi-kit. After I developed psi-laboratory, I always brought some tools for psionic attack (I don't remember its name). Is used granade or other alien techs relative rarely.

The best armour is also very important for every squad-member, it can save their life in many situations! Usually I sent 8 XCOM-soldiers to every battle (except terrorized cities, where I sent 10 or 12 men). At the place my ship landed, I made 4 groups with 2-2 members - if it was possible, one experienced officer and one rookie or less experienced soldier - and with these mini-groups I tried to go far away from all the other groups as soon as possible - because of the alien grenades. Then the very important thing is to hide your soldiers at the end of all turn, because even a tree can save them against enemy shots. When one of my soldiers being controlled by aliens, I tried to hide my other teammembers from him/her - not to shoot him/her! After some time usually the enemy lost the control above him/her, at this moment I thrown all his/her weapons, from that time this soldier wasn't dangerous. Then I tried to go with this teammember back to the ship, where the aliens can't get the control above him/her.

Researching is very important thing, you never can't buy enough scientist. After succesful battles you can sell a lot of things you don't need, so you have money to buy important things (scientists and tech advances).

I hope I could help for the guys who needed it.

Bye and have a good time playing UFO!

gregor
18-07-2004, 10:03 AM
keeping men alive is simple. you have 10 save slots. here is how i use them by saving games:
1 - on surface

2 - touch down near the ship

3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 - saving each combat turn under different saveslot. if an alien kills my soldier i load the save game and because i know where the shot came from i look up for the alien or try to outflank him. example: lets say i am in turn 4 and everytime i move i get killed no matter what, i can always load previous turn (turn 3) and either move my men differently or dont' move them at all and rather make them duck and wait for the ailien to come out of cover.

9, 10 - these slots i use to save in the middle (not beggining of turn) - example i sucessfully killed an alien i immediatelly save gameunder one of these slots. that way when i move forward and if an alien suddely shoots one of my men i can always load previous position in the turn. if i can't resolve situation i can load begining of the turn from slots above and if that desent help i still have slots from previous turns and i can load one of them. important notice here is that aliens are like your men. they are set in their starting positions across the map and then move arround just like your squad. so if you knwo where the shot came from you can load previous turn and spam the area where alien might be with grenades.

if everyhting else fails you still have the save you made on surface (save slot 1) and you load that one and continue form there on. by avoiding getting you men killed you will train them into officers tha will do the job mostly on their own later in game (high accuracy and reaction time). you will need that as you can't save games in your last mission (in x-com it's consisted of 3 submissions and you can save in the last submission).

this tactics will help you make through the game no matter how crazy your other startegy is. just remember to have enough scientists (100 or more), start with one base and try not to loose any of your men (they bring negative points which will reduce the ending points resulting in funding decrease), and be sure to chek graphs for laien activities. if they show highactivity it means it's a big chance they have a colony near that country and it must be destroyed. to find a colony send ships on patrol arround the country area.

Since i see you had problems with large ship tell me what game you are playing? X-COM or UFO? there are places in those ships where almost always aliens are. like command centers (who have commanders - if you already captured live ones kill them to make others panic) or they also like engines a lot. the larger missions (lie big ships, terrorsites etc) usualyl have from 12-15 aliens. so my guess is in your case you had only one more kill to make. still it's was a bad mission since you lost all men.

If you have problem on the entrance to the ship post men at the entrance turning them towards the door. and just pass a turn or two before opening the door. that way the aliens waiting to snap you in ship (or house, room) will either move arround a bit or maybe they will even try to exit and your men will shoot them with reaction shot.

once you use the save tactics you should do fine. the biggest problem are colonies but with slow movement (reserve time units for snapshot) and using men to cover eachother you should also do fine.

Titan
19-07-2004, 01:21 AM
ALL ships in UFO can be shot down with Plasma-cannon from an Interceptor w/o exposing the fighter to enemy fire... besides from the battle-shit..

2 different tactics regarding them...

either you "swarm" them with 3-4 interceptores, armed with plasma or even better, fusion-balls
OR
you only take on the ships when they have landed or attack them with Firestorm/Avenger-crafts armed with fussionballs/plasma..

nr 1 WILL ressult in many/all crafts are lost.
nr 2 often ressults in 1 or more craft beeing grounded for a looooong time repairing (we'r talking up to 20 days here)

Funnies thing ever done: Shooting down a Battle-shi with CANNON..
Was bored.. armed 6 Avengers with cannons, and sent em up..
After empteing over 2.000 shells into the poor Ufo, it crashed.. :)

Also.. if you'r beeing plauged by base-assult attempts.. here is a hint..
Arm the base to it's teeth with your best men, and JUST the equipment they need.. sell your Gravsheild and save 4 fussion-defences..
Next attack minght get throu.. kill them in the base..
Now.. for this to work, you should have a mind-shield in the base up and running..
After the attack, the aliens seems to "forgett" the location of the base..
They start over searching for it (small scout, large scout, battle-ships; all tagged Alien retalliation)
Take them down nice and calm.. this will keep the base clean, and free up space for better buildings then defence.. just keep minimal defence (5 fussion and 1 gravshield will repell 19 of 20 attacks).

Hellblade
27-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Wow, I'm back from my vacation, and see a lot of unread posts ^_^
I'll do my best to answer all your queries.

1. Someone asked if equipping two weapons (one on each hand) reduces firing accuracy. The answer is YES, from memory it's a -50% penalty so unless you have 90+ Firing Accuracy, don't give them two weapons. Note that this does not affect pistols of any kind.

2. Someone asked how to take on large UFOs once they're downed at the beginning of the game. The answer is you DON'T. If you have shit soldiers and shit weapons then here is the SOLUTION - bring your Skyranger over. Lift off on the first turn.
The reason being is that you get 0 score for the mission but the game does not consider this as IGNORING a downed UFO site.
Ignoring downed UFOs actually incur a huge penalty on your score.

3. Someone mentioned using fusion balls launchers. My advice is, don't bother. Plasma is far better at shooting down UFOs considering the costs of Fusion Ball ammos.

4. R Havell said, "One important tihng to remember during battles is that your troops are VERY expendable." Good call Havell!!! I couldn't have said better.

5. Another suggestion for Harcore players. I always have an Elite force of soldiers on an Avenger for emergencies. Their basic requirements are 90+ Firing Acc, 50+ Bravery and 80+ Psionic Defense. Besides grenades Medikits etc., each of them are armed with (Heavy Plasma+Heavy Cannon w/HE ammo) or (Heavy Laser+Autocannon w/Inc ammo). These two combinations are the most powerful and effective at taking out anything in the way.

6. Tanks are good for one thing, wasting valuable space on your crafts. They costs too much in terms of space and money. A soldier is always more cost efficient. E.g. a soldier with Rocket Launcher and Power Armour costs 1/5 of a Tank w/Rocket. A soldier with Flying Suit and Blaster Launcher costs 1/5 of a Hovertank w/Fusion.
Having said this, tanks are useful in base defenses and the final Cydonia mission.

Petter1979
07-08-2004, 10:57 AM
In the start i try to research laser rifles, because they are cheap to research/manufacture, and have more accuracy then normal ammo rifles.

Then lots of grenades, and proximity grenades, i found them to be lot of fun. Grenades and proximity grenades are the best to use in the start of game since the soldiers cant hit for shit.

I usual dont use all the time points a soldier have, i try to hide behind building ect, so if a alien steps out infront of my soldier, my soldier have a chance to shoot and kill the alien before it can retalitate. And also use proximity grenades if i know a direction that the aliens come from. Even if the proximity grenades dont kill the alien its morale/health/accuracy is reduced, and i know exactly where the alien is. They might even panick/beserk next round.

If i have landed at a ufo with 2 entrances(ie supply ship/terror ship/ect) , i usual mine 1 of the entrances up with a proximity grenade, and hide one of my soldier around the corner, if the grenade goes off i can usual kill it with my soldier next run, or place a new proximity grenade. Some of this tactics also work inside ufo's, Large scout and up, just dont cut your own pathway with a proximity grenade :)

Aliens take control over a soldier inside our transport ship:
Well this had happend a few times for me, when i have soldiers i dont currently use, i found out that get the soldiers down on their knees help a good way, it rarely one of them get attacked by a mind attack.

Eagle of Fire
26-09-2004, 06:09 PM
OK, here are the most common advices that I can give you. I'll try not to give any spoiler, and if I do without realizing it I give permission to the admins to censor me.

First, you need to build your base. That's the first thing you do in this game, and thus you need to do it from the start even before thinking about battles. The thing is, the first base supplied to you is a big free base, and is kind of nice for the eye. However, it would be more than a pain in the ... to defend would the Aliens decide to attack it, because it has hangars from both the bottom and the top of the base and the access lift if in the middle with other adjacent rooms.

In the best of worlds, all your base layout should generally be the same: your hangars at the very top or the very bottom of the base, then the access lift completely alone somewhere on the third line (the one directly above or under your hangars) then you begin to build your base on the fourth line after the access lift. That way, if the base get attacked, you will be able to defend it with ease with only a handfull of squaddies and a lot of grenades since the Aliens always come in the base from the access lift and the hangars. The third "free" line will act as a "chokepoint" preventing Aliens to invade the base too fast. If one or two aliens managed to get out from the access lift before you get there, kill them. You can be sure all the others will be ahead.

Battle and squaddies: obviously, you need to always try to keep your men alive. Moreover, you need to give your squaddies the best chances to overcome their target. The key points on this in tactical battle is visibility, speed and protection.

Visibility: I personnaly always go out with 12 squaddies and then break them down in three squads of four. The purpose of the squads is to always have at least two squaddies at "key" point when they advance in the black area so you have a good chance of seeing the alien before he do (or most of the time, at the same time he do so he don't have time to fire at will on your men) while the other two squad members advance faster (always keep enough time for a snap shot) and then they switch turn. Once an Alien is spotted, turn your four squaddie attention to it but do not forget to "scout" around for other Aliens, be in front, on the flanks or even in the back if that particular squad did not clear out the area behind them.
In night missions, you will have a very hard time trying to spot the Aliens because it's dark, while the Aliens will have a easy time spotting you because they have a way better vision at night. In that case, you need to use flares. I always bring in my Skyranger at least one flare per squaddie, just in case I run into a night mission. When you send your Skyranger, follow it and look at the map when it lands. If the map is at night (dark), then you'll need to equip the flares to your men. Would you forget, it is very important that you make them all take one flare before exiting the Skyranger (all the weapon you don't assign to your men before a mission are stockpilled at the entrance of the Skyranger).
To use a flare efficiently you only need to throw them far enough so the fartest visible spots are light. That way you will be able to spot aliens around the light just like if it was a day mission.
Use the flares liberally. They will save a lot of your men lives. And don't forget they can be reused; pick them back up and throw them away again.

Speed: never ever overload your men! It seems to be a very common newbie mistake. Your men need all the time units they can spare! I personnaly think that any squaddie under 60 TU is in danger because they lack mobility should they fall into an unexpected trap or need to clear out from an area quickly instead of keeping TU for their snap shot reaction time (like when spotting two aliens near him at end of his movement). If you start a mission and you notice one of your squaddie with less than 100% of his TU, then he's overloaded. Remove as much equipment from his inventory as you can spare, and you'll notice that next turn he'll have more TU to spare (if he did not recover them all). I also advise you to only take riffles (and/or handgun if you feel suicidal or want a challenge) in the first few missions until one of your men have enough strenght to take the bigger weapons without losing any or not too much TU. Most of the Aliens are easy to kill with a riffle anyways.

Endurance: research armors ASAP! I won't spoil the tech route to the first armor, but I'll tell you it's very easy to produce them by the end of the second month, should you know what you are doing. Once you have some armor, research the MediKit tech ASAP. The MediKits will allow the men who did not fall in one hit but are grievely wounded to survive the day and become stronger with time. It's always utterly annoying as a Commander (you) to lose men only because he had a fatal wound of 3 and dyied from blood loss after X turns because you had no medical support on the field... Especially if the man in question is your best soldier! <_< Before having all your men outfitted with armor, the chance of having a squaddie alive after he get hit will be extremely short, but with armor this will happen most of the time. I always equip all of my soldiers with one MediKit at the start of every battle but can part with one if the soldier is not strong enough to carry one and his equipment without TU loss.

I feel this is the biggest lines of the game. If you follow this to the letter you should have an easy time defeating Aliens... But it probably doesn't follow every style of play. I know some people love grenades, other use only Alien technology... I'll leave all those details and the leading of your squaddies to you. :)

Eagle of Fire
26-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Yes, I also use Commandos by the end of the game. At the start I feel like casualties can't be brought down to zero and then if I need to select a frech recruit to fill the ranks they can't keep up with the older men. My style of play being mainly based on teamwork, this often lead to even more deaths... :angry: So I keep the squad full at 12.
Another thing is that Psy Aliens are a pain in the late game. It's always a hard blow when you realise your star soldiers are not Psy resistant and turn around on your men at the wrong moment... <_< Thus the reason I try to get a broad army at the beginning and keep only the PSI resistant men by the end. At the beginning they are still usefull, when they begin to turn on me (and survive) I sack them.

I also do the same; sell any Alien tech (but not alloys and Elerium, for obvious reasons) and keep one for future reseach of each item. My post may be misleading, but I only use the riffles by the very start of the game..! As soon as stronger weapons get out from research, I use them. :ok:

I did know that a lot of people would have different oppinions and strategy than me, so those few points were very general. If you notice, I never got into a very specific point unless it has an obvious tactical advantage.

17-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Home of the Underdogs carries the fixed version of the game (and the sequel). It's a fanmade patch that makes UFO work on Windows ME, 2000, and XP. I tried it on my XP-ridden laptop and it worked fine. Have a look. (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4966)

Keep in mind you'll have to run XCOM1FIX.EXE to apply the patch.

Eagle of Fire
01-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Sure thing. You could always try Laser Squad Nemesis (http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com/index.htm) which is in the same style, but multiplayer.

If you need help devising strategy or tactics for UFO, just ask. I'm here for that. :angel:

Havell
07-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Actually, the aliens see in the dark as well as your own men do, it's just that the aliens are cleverer than your men, here's what they do (shown from the side):

Key

@ - Alien
% - Your soldier
{ - Your line of sight
> - Alien's movement
_ - Ground surface
* - Plasma beam

It starts off like this:

@_{_______%

Then the alien moves into your line of sight, sees you and shoots at you:

__>{>@*****%

Then the alien moves just out of your line of sight:

@<{<_______%

Here the turn ends, with your being shot at but never seeing the alien.

(It took me ages to do this :D)

Eagle of Fire
26-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Sonicfish: yes you should research heavy plasma as well because new research options will become available when you have researched everything in that branch.

For the Plasma Rifles, I beleive they are the best workaround weapon in the game. They pack quite a punch and their aiming and TU pourcentage are good too. Heavy plasma is only usefull when you need that little extra firepower... But it's way too costly on the TU usage to consider equiping it on all your soldiers.

Laurrriz
03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Does any1 know what to do? I played this game in the past, but I came to the point where I have everything I researched everything an so on. Sometimes a UFO passes me and I destroy it. I destroyed a couple of them bases on earth, and I heard thet there is one on mars. How can I reach it? PLZ HELP :help:

Eagle of Fire
03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
You need to research the Alien Origins and build an Avenger. The mission to Mars will become available after that.

ultranewbie
03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
did you capture live aliens?

the research tree shouldn't have been empty if you didn't have all the technology. not capturing live aliens is the only thing that i can think of that might have caused that...

Sectiods are girls
04-01-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by berkie1234@Dec 30 2004, 07:16 AM
I like ufo-enamy unknown.BUT I STINK!!! :help:

The aliens just wait outside my ship,i send 1 man out and thier forces just snipe me
from out of my range

NEED HELP!!!

please
There are worse things than snipers. Mind control's been mentioned, but I've been sniped iinside my skyranger before disembarking, with blasters. That sux. Big time.
I think the proximity of the aliens to your landing zone may have something to do with your difficulty level. So if you keep getting wasted, try starting a new game on gumby mode.
Other advice just boils down to keeping your men in little groups that allow each group to cover different areas and moving slowly with the "reserve snap-shot" (or autoshot, or whatever) button selected.
Two to three teams of four work well. And if everyone has an auto-shot of time spare, when them nasties leap out from behind the shrubbery, four guys unloading autofire into the sucker will probably make the sucker think twice before doing it again.

Eagle of Fire
04-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Ufo: Ennemy Unknown Aliens AI is not that good, so if you actually managed to get a grenade thrown at you by them... Well, you so extremely obviously packed up that even the AI managed to see that you could be hit by a grenade..! :blink:

I don't remember having a single casualty due to grenade in all... Around 25 campains... (My own grenades excluded :whistle:)

I would say that if you have a problem with grenades, you need to rethink your squad strategy... Especially if you were planning to play TFTD after ending UFO! You'll see what a really good grenade AI can do... I still feel the pain of my first TFTD campain 10 years ago... :ranting:

Also, I really don't understand what the race of the Alien change. Would it be a mutant, a big tank or whatever... You'll get hit if you stay in the way. Yes, I lost at least two or three Squaddie still in the Skyranger in every game too, but then I never lost as much as you guys seems to be talking about. Being creamed? Never happened to me, at least not inside my own ship! I guess equiping the first squaddies with armor help with that...

I also don't recall losing more than half my own team in any given mission, and last time that happened it was in one of my first campains ever and I was retreating back to base... Having bad equipment and be low on ammo usually don't help much on the winning part... :whistle:

All in all, I would say that you need to expect a very high death ratio in your first two games, then it will settle up for good and you'll wonder how you managed to get the money to get all those new fresh recruits in the first place... Happened to me, happened to about every Xcom veteran, will happen to you too. ;)

xcom freak
08-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by berkie1234@Dec 30 2004, 07:16 AM
I like ufo-enamy unknown.BUT I STINK!!! :help:

The aliens just wait outside my ship,i send 1 man out and thier forces just snipe me
from out of my range

I only last a couple of ufos on the eaisiest mode.

NEED HELP!!!

please
Purchase tanks, you can use them to clear out the way for your squad believe me, this will make the game a lot easier!

Wischi
12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey fellas.

I downloaded XCOMUTIL, but I'm having troubles installing it. First, when I run xcusetup for the first time, it only gets to the question whether I want to enable fodder's loader. After that it tells me to create a shortcut for runxcom, but the other questions (as stated in the readme) are not asked.

And when I try to run it again, it says "Version 1.0 detected" but then "read failure on geoscape.exe".

I am using the UFO-Version I downloaded here on Abandonia. What is the problem? I'd really love to play a more advanced difficulty level; not to mention random ships etc.

Help would really be appreciated!

Eagle of Fire
12-01-2005, 02:57 PM
The version on abadonnia is the "new" Windows version. It may not be compatible with a cheat program which is most probably designed to work with the DOS version of the game.

ultranewbie
13-01-2005, 02:37 AM
I have about 5 avengers, and have researched alien origins

Have you captured the commander of an enemy base on earth? From what I hear, that is the way to get to Mars and complete the game... :bannana:

14-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Seeing as we are talking about bugs.

How does one fix the bug where the game will crash if you click on a fighter tab (thats following a space ship)
i found if i went back to a previous mission, and completed it, the bug was still there.

infact the only way i found to get around this was to reload the game before any craft were chasing any UFOs but that sucks cause i usually am tight by keeping 3 save games but i dont wanna reverse 28 days, or more again.

anyone know how to fix this. I dont care if i have to edit the x-com craft out of the game, i just want the game to contunue.

Eagle of Fire
14-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I never encountered this kind of bug, and I run the original version supposedly full of bugs.

So sorry, I can't help you much here.

ultranewbie
14-01-2005, 09:46 PM
@Guest

*shrug*

Maybe backup savegames, reinstall XCOM and make sure you have the latest version of DOSbox or Windows drivers or whatever.

But, I dunno. XCOM has a funny way of crashing in weird places. One reason why the game has so many posts. Why don't you scroll through the pages and find how other people have resolved their issues.

15-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Its wierd that you all have not experienced it. Years ago i brought it when it was first released and i played it on my 486 and got the bug but back then the earth would zoom out then i would see a heap of code come up and the pc would reboot.

now in XP it just says the program has crashed but same thing.

just annoying.

Eagle of Fire
15-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Well, I seem to remember a weird bug right now. If you entered a mission while one of your fighter was still chasing an UFO, the game would crash.

Answer to this bug was easy: never chase UFO when you are about to enter a mission. Either disengage and go back to base or just fly near them until you finish the mission.

Another idea would be to send the Skyranger next to the mission without selecting it, down the UFO (or get killed) and then enter the mission.

Anyways, I never experimented such a bug because I never entered a battle with crafts still engaged in battle. I usually tend to wait for all UFO's to be downed before sending my team so I go get the biggest fish. I also tend to change my squaddies equipment depending of the type of mission before sending them to fight, especially when I'm currently building a new kind of set of armor for my troops and I want them to be equiped with the latest stuff, so waiting is a must.

16-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Yeah i found a small solution which was to sell the plane (while it was chasing the ship) just DO NOT touch the plane button. it will stay in the earth screen for a while like a month i think then it just dissapeard.

I always have a Skyranger with crew at my first 3 bases. I make sure i can get every UFO that Preferably lands :)

ahh well finished it again now. Maybe i will go complete Fallout... again.

Rogue
18-01-2005, 05:30 PM
You can use this site (on the left menu select what interest you) to get more answers.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~xcom/x1u8.shtml

After you done with all research, you don't need scientist any more.

To get position of Mars base, you need to capture one of aliens’ officers, and again, they are in big ships.

Havell
18-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Smoke grenades work well to knock out aliens and when you get the small launchers and stun bombs later then it gets much easier.

ultranewbie
18-01-2005, 06:21 PM
First, there is only one way to get elerium 115 - UFOs. It's much better with those very large ships to follow them with a team of soldiers, but not attack. Eventually it will land or terrorise a city. Either way, you will need a team to kill em. (You should get over 1000 points per mission for a Battleship)

The best way to get aliens is to use their Small Launcher. It fires very powerful stun grenades.

If you haven't researched it yet, then you will have to use the stun rod. The stun rod doesn't always work frist time. So if you find yourself wanting to attack an alien with a weapon, be very sneeky.

This may pay dividends however. Usually the aliens at the end are just medics or soldiers, it will be unlikely that you can capture a commander this way.

If anyone disagrees with what I have said, please correct me! I always like to learn different ways of getting the job done.

ultranewbie
18-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Grenades are easy, especially proximity grenades.

The TU thing is easy, it's the green bar at the bottom of the screen. If it's full, your TUs are at 100%.

If you set the timer on a grenade (haven't tested proximity grenades) to Zero, and then keep a hold of it, it will not explode. I use grenades to kill aliens hiding behind corners. I get one of my soldiers in the rear to get a grenade primed on one turn. On the next, I make sure that the "Save TUs for Autoshot" is on. Then just go for a walk, and throw the grenade.

In regards to the aliens' reaction shooting, I have stopped throwing a grenades at aliens I can see unless I am behind a wall or something. When there are a group of soldiers who can see the alien, all except one fires upon the enemy. If the alien is not dead by the last soldier, then I use a grenade.

Proximity grenades are an excellent tool. If you know an alien is behind a door, I much prefer lobbing a grenade outside it and waiting for the alien to come out. Quite often you can surround the door with 4 soliders, and as soon as the alien pops out of thedoor and walks a step, the alien is blasted with explosive and 12 rounds (4 x autoshot) on the enemy turn. Fun fun fun.

The reason I like to make sure everyone in my team fires their weapon, is simply for the improvent in skill that it brings. One time I relied heavily on four soldiers to do pretty much all the work for me. When one got killed and the other two turned out to have useless psi resistance, the game was pretty much over..

Eagle of Fire
19-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Another nifty trick is the ability to rename your squaddies. I always rename mine based on their rank and I add, in brackets, their accuracy rating.

So it would go like this: Rookie (59), 2nd Class (57), Captain (67), etc.

Pretty usefull when you want to know if the selected squaddie stands a chance at hitting his target, depending on range... :ok:

ultranewbie
19-01-2005, 07:48 PM
I like to keep the names the same, just for the sake of humanity. I think it's neat having people with names of people from all over the world. I get to know my team members pretty well anyway, so I teand to know who will hit and who will miss.

Mats
21-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by ultranewbie@Jan 21 2005, 09:25 AM
Ya. Had that problem too. Just open it in Windows and hope for compatibility!
I don't have any problems when using the XP patch from this site to play UFO, but I can get kicked out a few times. There is a patch for TFTD to that can be found at www.xcomufo.com (nice adress btw), but I haven't taken me the time to try and get it to work since I think that UFO is better than TFTD.

///MJ

Jman4117
22-01-2005, 07:55 PM
For my troops I keep their original names and add letters on the end for strengths/weaknesses.

S: Sniper
G: Grenadier
P: Strong psi
p: Weak psi
B: Very brave
b: Decent bravery
c: Coward
H: High strength
R: Reactions

So my optimal super soldiers in late game would have PBRSGH on their names for easy reference. :Titan:

P.S. - As for sorting your troops: there is a program called X-com Utilities that allows your troops to be sorted (never really played enough with that feature enabled though to see exactly how it works). It also allows for the intercept craft to be used as small transports and comes with the the f0dder display patch if you have a really squished display.

Drake Pendragon
23-01-2005, 12:05 PM
If you find yourself faced with those chrisalids, make sure all you soldiers have a PRIMED (alien) grenade in their hand. If they get attacked by a chrisalid they drop it and it thewn explodes, thus killing the first chrisalid. Be carefull though since this might cause some friendly-fire.

Jman4117
23-01-2005, 07:25 PM
From my experience with them, I'd say the best defense against them would be to get as many troops as possible in flying suits. They can't attack what they cannot reach. As for the primed grenade, if the zombie drops it, it will likely hatch the Chrysalid and mearly wound the other one, leaving you with two of them to deal with.

Note: The zombies only actually start to hatch if they are "injured". Leave them alone until you wipe the Snakemen and Chrysalids out before you go after them.

Eagle of Fire
23-01-2005, 07:58 PM
What about the Chrysalids then, they are about the easiest of them all to kill? :blink:

I usually get them with long range shots... If I'm on close quarters I move next to him and I autoshot until he's dead. I don't remember having a Chrysalid one hit kill one of my soldiers, so even if he reacts and "spit" at you just retreat the squaddie after you killed the Chrysalid... At blank range you really need an extremely poor squaddie to miss an autoshot, and if he miss I say he deserves to die! :P

Don't forget that they are also vulnerable to fire. Fire them a fire bullet and watch them catch fire. ;)

Jman4117
23-01-2005, 08:05 PM
You may be thinking of the Cetalid...the gaint kidney that spits acid. A Chrysalid is the black crablike terror unit that comes with Snakemen and can impregnate your entire squad Xenomorph style. :cry: They have uber stats and a hand to hand attack that can take you in one hit and turn you into a zombie. I believe they have around 120 time units, 90 reactions, and around 100 health. Quite a mean customer if you are on the ground with them. Heavy plasmas are almost a must on higher difficulties.

Eagle of Fire
23-01-2005, 08:10 PM
No, I was talking about the black terror unit. I always considered that unit as a kind of Ninja. :D

As said earlier, never got much problem with them. The AI is usually very dumb with that unit anyways unless you really get in his way.

Jman4117
23-01-2005, 09:00 PM
A lot of times the things will walk up, fail their attack a few times then run away. Other times they just stand there and do nothing before running back. What is scary is when you are leaving the ship and have about 4 guys sitting by the ramp and end up with low reaction scores against them and they attack unapposed killing half your squad. I think the AI may be programed to go after the low reaction troopers (reaction score taking TU% into consideration too). Move a lot or have a low reaction stat, and you get ambushed.

Eagle of Fire
23-01-2005, 09:14 PM
This could be an explanation because I very hardly ever have squaddies with less TU than required to snap shot at end of turn. And they kneel most of the time too.

Bewildered
25-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi all,

just for anybody´s information. After some work into troubleshooting (including several downloads from different sites with and without fixes, trying each combination of options in different compatibility settings and developing a new strategy to avoid the problem ingame), here is something nice to know for all us gamers enjoying this great game in german language:

Using different systems (P4m 2,4GHz system, onboard graphics as well as a standard P4 3.0 GHz Northwood with card) under WINXP, it´s always the same.
If you encounter the game crashing while leaving the Transfer-Screen, the only working solution until now is playing it in English (haven´t tried French as this would be some kind of "Memory"-game for me). Besides it´s comparable stable in both, so you might increase your vocabulary along the way using this alternative (might be helpful to know what a "Fusion Missile Launcher" is standing in front of this attracting red button :D) or just switch to this in the case of transfering.

Hope, this avoids some work for somebody.

Jman4117
27-01-2005, 03:45 AM
The Windows version of X-com does not work with DOSBox. If you have have the Windows version it should run on 95/98 with no problems, and 2000/xp with a video patch called f0dder if you have display problems. Also with this version, get a slow down program if it runs too fast.

If you have the DOS version and are running Win2k/XP, Mac, or Linux get DOSBox to emulate DOS. A 1Ghz or so machine should run at around the 486 speeds that the game is designed for. If you have DOS/95/98 you can run it from the DOS prompt.

Canadianmonk3y
28-01-2005, 05:48 PM
The game works fine after being downloaded from here just in my XP. My only problem is that it runs too fast. (Like leaving it in 5min setting on my 486 when set at 5sec, and 1day setting gets ridiculous.) What is a good slowdown program to use for this, as I tried moslo, which didn't work as it runs dos while the X-Com is windows, so I need some sort of windows based slowdown program. Thanks ahead of time.

Eagle of Fire
28-01-2005, 06:58 PM
The problem with the version from this site is that it's a Windows version. If you get the original DOS version you could use DOSBox like me, and it works fine then.

johneh
28-01-2005, 08:04 PM
HELP!
I am trying to run the DOS version on windows XP using Dosbox but when I hit the Dosbox button combo to maximize it I have the following problem:
My monitor clicks, the screen goes black for a split second, and then I am back at my desktop and everythign is minized. If I click on X-com nothing happens. If I right click on the X-com box and select Restore or Maximize it just does the process again (montior clicks, goes black for a second, back at desktop w/everything minimized)

29-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Guest+Jan 29 2005, 02:15 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Jan 29 2005, 02:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire@Jan 28 2005, 09:57 PM
Try starting the game with the screen already maximized.
It does it no matter when I try to go to full screen - either before the game starts or after I start the game.

I actually have the same problem with Madden 2004 - but I was able to right click on the madden button and choose restore and it would work [/b][/quote]
I found the solution on another site. If anyone else is having the same problem I was just hold ALT & TAB down when you first start the program and keep them held down for the 1st few seconds and the screen will stay maximized.

YES I CAN PLAY X-COM ONCE AGAIN ! :D :D :D :D

29-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Also Pressing

ALT + SPACE + X right after switching to full screen will keep it maximized too !

Ethan
30-01-2005, 03:49 AM
:rifle: The secret to this game is to conserve some of your TUs so you will reaction fire, and to have your rear units act as :sniper: when your forward units spot an enemy. Also, USE THE CROUCH FUNCTION! This will make a big difference as it not only improves you accuracy considerably, but makes you a smaller target and allows you to have one soldier supporting your crouched one. Crouching then auto firing will give you by far the best odds to hit your target, and the laser rifle's unlimited ammo makes this no problem even in long battles or if you feel the need to blind-fire into the darkness [this actually works rather well, you just need to find a solid object, like a tree or wall, to fire at]. Also, to help negate the inaccuracy of the blaster launcher, have the bombs drop down on the aliens from above. That's about everything I have to share, and I can beat the game on Superhuman without much difficulty :whistle: . I absolutely love this game and think it is certainly one of the 10 or so best games ever made. Try Bubble Bobble.

Student
02-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by BugMeNot@Feb 2 2005, 04:01 AM
I've gamed for quite many hours now.. just shooting ufos, exploring crash sites and landing sites and keeping battleships off my base... what happens now? I've been doing the same thing for a very long time - with no researches pending and I'm able to manufacture the Avenger and all..

Ive read stuff about mars, getting Alien leaders, alien bases.. where do i find this?
Catch an commander from an battleship (stun him) and let the sientists talk with him for a while.

Eagle of Fire
02-02-2005, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (Jman4117 @ Feb 1 2005, 04:54 PM)
Well, It's the aliens command center. And besides, Commanders and Leaders are the toughest aliens to fight, so they belong on the final mission.*

Yes i know but a general is a general for gods sake!
Thats a litle unrealistic.*
At least the gameplay is superb.*
(Sory im from Poland so my spelling is not so good.)
General rank for your squaddies is only a rank based on how many squaddies total you have in your command. It doesn't add anything to your squaddie other than tell your how good he his in comparison to the others.

If you were going to make an incredibly important attack as a Commander of your army force, you would probably wish to attack only with skilled officers instead of fresh recruit even tough you very well know that most of them won't return. The result of the battle is what count, not who goes and die there...

Originally posted by BugMeNot Posted on Feb 2 2005@ 06:36 PM
How will I know who's the commander?
You won't know for sure on the battlefield but as soon as you captured a live one (live is the key word here) it will show on your scientific research list. :)

Eagle of Fire
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I always equip 4 stun rods to my squad of 12 squaddies (I always attack with 12 squaddies) just in case get the opportunity to stun an alien once in a while. The 4 squaddies equiped with the stun rods are usually the "crack team" who enter and storm the ship first. This way I always have a nice chance to get a live Alien on every mission, and live Aliens are worth more in points if I remember well.

Once you have stun bombs then I advise you to use them since they are extremely effective on physically weak Aliens and they can be lauched safely from a distance.

Smoke can stun Aliens as well as your squaddies, and here's why: neither does your squaddies or the Aliens have breathing equipment, so if you enter a smoke heavy square the unit will be forced to breath the smoke. Just like smoke can disable someone in a building fire and render him/her uncouncious, a white line will begin to appear and grow higher and higher on the HP bar of the unit each turn. If the white bar manage for a reason or another to go beyong the current HP of the unit then he/she/it will become disabled (or stunned) until the white bar get lower than the HP again.

This is why sometimes you can see your squaddies get stunned by a very weak hit and stand up again one or two turns later if the white bar is near the max HP of the squaddies.

Stunning Aliens works exactly the same with stun rods and stun bombs. When hit, the weapon will bring the white bar up by a certain amount and the unit will be stunned when the white bar go higher than the current HP of said unit. This is also why wounded units are way easier to stun this way.

BugMeNot
02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow, didn't know that.

But i cant seem to stun robotics (obviously I guess) - so how do you get live speciments of the cyberdisk and that reaper-looking robot? Since the scientist talk about needing a undamaged speciement to look at.

And have I understood right, that the only way to go on from where I am, is to locate a large or very large ufo and stun left and right at the control center? :)

Eagle of Fire
02-02-2005, 07:33 PM
You got it BugMeNot. You need live specimens to complete the game.

I don't remember about the "robotics" Aliens, but I do know that sometimes an heavy hit can stun ennemies. If you are lucky you could hit an ennemy and not kill him but manage to stun him. If he's one of the last Aliens downed in the mission then he won't have time to wake up and he'll show up as a live specimen in your mission debriefing.

Don't worry about it tough, you don't need all the tech to finish the mission. And most of the autopsy and live Aliens study add more flavour to the game than anything else. Only a few actually get the game forward and are critical.

DonCorleone
06-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 1 2005, 09:46 PM

Situation:
Whenever I want to examine a wrecked UFO by sending those... troopships (sorry, am new to the game) and I click the OK button when the game warns me that I might encounter aliens now and have to fight, the game crashes!

I´ve got the same problem and I really don´t know what it could be. For example there are two exe files, but only one working properly.
Is there a possibility to get the dos-version so thst I could play this fantastic one again?
Or any suggestions on how to solve the crashing prob?

I´m running ufo on WinXP AMD Duron 750

MFG

Don

Jman4117
06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
You shouldn't have two .exe's in the WIndows version unless you are using Xcomutil. If you've used that on the game, you have to use runxcomw.bat to start it. Geoscape.exe and Tactical.exe are files that you shouldn't use to start the game. Either use xcom.bat or the .exe with the alien head icon if you have not modified the game with xcomutil.

DonCorleone
06-02-2005, 06:10 PM
For some weired reason HOTU`s version runs fine, although there are still problems with several missions.
So everytime there is a mission in Africa´s "green-lands" the game breaks up. Does anyone know of some tweaking progs fitting to this prob?

Jman4117
06-02-2005, 06:20 PM
A problem in the map files perhaps?

Where exactly does it crash? Does it repeat if you try it again from a reboot?

DonCorleone
06-02-2005, 06:31 PM
It crashe after I equipped my marines and confirmed by pushing "ok". Then the screen turns black. And that´s it.
And yes he did it several times. You mean a system reboot could do?

Jman4117
06-02-2005, 06:34 PM
All your troops are standing in a black void? Reboot, and if that doesn't work, try a reinstall (get the game_xx directories out before deleting of course).

DonCorleone
06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Pardon me, the screen turns black and returns to desktop. No troops, no aliens, anything ;) .
But I think I will try the re-installation you adviced...

DonCorleone
06-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Nah,

reinstalling didn´t make anything. Which version are you using? I had the idea that it might have something to do to with the language selection. My native language is German. So I chose this of course.
Is it possible that there are diifferences in interpreting in the program?

Bensch
07-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Personally, I already solved the problem (the guest with the strage situation was me). I wasn't able to locate the fault, so I just downloaded another version from another Retro-DOS-Game-Site. Works fine for me now. Am not quite sure if I infringe upon some kind of Codex if I'd post the URL right here, so better send me a PN if you want to know ;)

PS: Am German as well.

chris
07-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Kosta@Mar 11 2004, 11:19 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available) (http://www.abandonia.com/game.php?ID=38)
were is the download button
:wall:

Havell
07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Just underneath the extras secrion and to the right of the rating buttons, where it says "Get it!" ;)

sm0kiE
07-02-2005, 07:33 PM
I agree, PSI weapons aren't thaaat good...

Just blow em up with rocket tanks, blaster launchers, and heavy plasma =)

And flying suits...

another_guest
08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by cod@Feb 5 2005, 04:44 PM
The game will crash if u have any other aircrafts on the map.

So just allow all crafts that are out on a mission to return to their bases before sending in your elite to kick alien behind :cheers:
For me it doesn't, though I'm maybe using a different version than the one available here.

DonCorleone
08-02-2005, 03:25 PM
I solved my problem by using Win95 compatiblity mode :whistle:
Sometimes it´s easier than one would think...

Boddah
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Heya, Im in Mission 125 and January 2000 with all researchs done and I wonder... When the game ends??

I already did the Moscow mission, killed a lot of allien, I have 5 bases and deal with ALL meneaces...

ahhaa I just want to know where is the over

quatroking
08-02-2005, 04:04 PM
know some cheats for this game?
(becouse i don't don't get enough weapons)

Havell
08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
I found a save game editor, that worked for chesting, I made myself 8 huge bases and an army of perfect soldiers :whistle:

Jman4117
08-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Boddah@Feb 8 2005, 04:55 PM
Heya, Im in Mission 125 and January 2000 with all researchs done and I wonder... When the game ends??

I already did the Moscow mission, killed a lot of allien, I have 5 bases and deal with ALL meneaces...

ahhaa I just want to know where is the over
Have you gotta alien leaders and commanders yet? and do you have 3 advanced craft types? (Firestorm, Lightning, Avenger)

Jman4117
08-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by quatroking@Feb 8 2005, 05:04 PM
know some cheats for this game?
(becouse i don't don't get enough weapons)
How far have you gotten with weapons research? The alien guns that you start getting from missions in the first few months can cut down about anything in a couple of shots.

Boddah
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, I have all the three Aircrafts... but hey... didn't got the Commanders...

I read here that I have to stun them... whow... lot of work to do

Jman4117
08-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Just take small launchers into the command center at a base and stun everything that even so much as moves. Should get all the aliens you need to finish the game. ^^

Edit: Provided they aren't Mutons of course (no leadership in that race)
Edit2: And the Commander is the one packing a plasma in most cases, the Leaders have blaster launchers.

Boddah
08-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Ahhh.. thnx a lot! :D

Well, in Moscow (command center) mission, I've killed every single life that I encoutered... I'll have more oportunitys to stun them?

Jman4117
08-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Provided you use the small launcher, yes. Go for the one up top with the heavy plasma and try to duck in and out of the room to avoid the ones with blasters until you can take them down. With luck they'll be panicing and you'll have an easier time going in.

Canadianmonk3y
08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes, I generally move on the interior of the command center last, until I clear the rest of the base. Usually at least one leader/commander will panic.

another_guest
08-02-2005, 05:43 PM
There's a huge list of cheats, you can alter virtually anything you have in stock.
If you still need any in a week time, post again (I have such a list typed out at home, haven't got it with me here)

About the commanders & leaders: in most cases -though not always- they'll be at the second floor of a specific room. I'll try to describe it: it's "encased" by walls and a narrow passage around it, accessible by a broad door (at least 3 squares wide, it might even be more as far as I remember). The entrance to the room itself is at the opposite side of the broad door you've first went through. In the center of the room there's a large "elevator". Mind you, they're not always there, but usually I've encountered them there.
If you need to find more alien bases to get a second chance of stunning a commander, you can spot some by flying and patrolling for some hours over the right area. The bases are always on the same locations, every game, there's no random factor included.
The ones I remember: north pole; north africa, somewhere about Tunis I believe, maybe a little more southeast; there's another one somewhere near the Russian-Chinese border. But given enough time, you'll automatically find them all, as the game will provide you with an alien base location every now and then. And you don't need to find all of them to complete the game.

another_guest
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Oh, and before I forget, once you've researched the subject of "Cydonia or bust", your Avengers will be capable of flying to a different location than just anywhere on earth, you'll see this choice when you want to send an Avenger to a certain location; that extra-terrestrial location is called Cydonia.

Boddah
09-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Hey... how can I research this "Cydonia or burst"?

sm0kiE
09-02-2005, 04:19 AM
You need to capture and research a live sectoid, which will give you research for Alien Origins, then you research another live sectoid leader to unlock The Martian Solution.

After you research that, you need to capture a sectiod commander from a base, and finally you can research Cydonia or Bust.

Canadianmonk3y
09-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by sm0kiE@Feb 9 2005, 05:19 AM
You need to capture and research a live sectoid, which will give you research for Alien Origins, then you research another live sectoid leader to unlock The Martian Solution.

After you research that, you need to capture a sectiod commander from a base, and finally you can research Cydonia or Bust.
WRONG

You need to capture an ethereal, or any other race's leader to research "the Martian Solution" and you need to capture a commander after that to research "Cydonia or Bust."

DonCorleone
09-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Can anyone tell me how the drop button in the soldier equip menu works?
Doesn´t seem to work in my version...
And how to unload a weapon?

Canadianmonk3y
09-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by DonCorleone@Feb 9 2005, 07:28 PM
Can anyone tell me how the drop button in the soldier equip menu works?
Doesn´t seem to work in my version...
And how to unload a weapon?
To drop something put it on the huge grid below your soldier in the inventory screen.
-Or just put it in your hand and throw it.

To unload a weapon, click a weapon to hold it with the cursor in the inventory screen, and then click on the eject magazine button at the top right of the screen near the left and right arrow buttons.

another_guest
09-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Canadianmonk3y@Feb 9 2005, 05:33 AM
You need to capture an ethereal, or any other race's leader to research "the Martian Solution" and you need to capture a commander after that to research "Cydonia or Bust."
Yes, the race doesn't really matter, only the rank does.
The "hardest" part is to capture such a commander alive as these are quite limited in numbers, only one per alien base.

As for dropping weapons: if the space at the soldier's feet is too full (the large grid mentioned is filled with equipment), try clicking the scroll button at the right, just above the grid. Sometimes it's a bit tricky when clicking that button doesn't work, then you might need to shove some grenades or other small equipment around to make space for whatever you want to get rid of.

Canadianmonk3y
09-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by another_guest+Feb 9 2005, 09:07 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (another_guest @ Feb 9 2005, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Canadianmonk3y@Feb 9 2005, 05:33 AM
Yes, the race doesn't really matter, only the rank does.
The "hardest" part is to capture such a commander alive as these are quite limited in numbers, only one per alien base. [/b][/quote]
WRONG

ANY Ethereal, OR a leader for the martian solution.
ANY commander for cydonia or bust.

There can also be two leaders in an alien base, and I think there can be two in a battleship as well.

another_guest
09-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Canadianmonk3y@Feb 9 2005, 10:32 PM
WRONG

ANY Ethereal, OR a leader for the martian solution.
ANY commander for cydonia or bust.

There can also be two leaders in an alien base, and I think there can be two in a battleship as well.
Heheh,

I said only one COMMANDER, I didn't say anything about the possible number of leaders. There are plenty of those indeed.

I didn't know though that any ethereal would do :ok:

DonCorleone
09-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Uhhm, did anyone recognize that the Ufo version offered here doesn´t and won´t work?
This is for a simple reason: the archive MISSDAT is missing. Without mission data, no game. Or am I wrong :bye:

BTW the button to unload weapon doesn´t work with version from hotu or with abandonia´s fixed version(by me ;) )

Havell
09-02-2005, 09:52 PM
My copy (from here) does and will work, including the missions. I don't know about the unload button though, never used it.

DonCorleone
09-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Hmm ridiculous... :blink:
My copy definately has a loss of this folder and therefore crashes when starting a mission...
I´ll check out again. Sry so far... thought that might be the solution.

Boddah
09-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Heya, Here again.

And SO SORRY to discuss this, but I really need help

I have some problems in X-COM Apocalypse - in the Apoc's forum they take too long to reply, so...
Ah! Well... I just give up to play in DOsBOx cause it really slow my machine... and I downloaded the VSDM driver and a lot of other things... but the game can't get sound!

How can I fix it?

Yobor
09-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi guys. I owned this game since when it came out. When the old games stopped working on new machines :ranting: I threw out my copy. However, a few years back, PC Gamer did a revival. But all of this was before abandonia! Now I can play on my new machine. My favorite weapon :evil: has to be the blaster launcher. That baby can fly! :rifle:

ultranewbie
10-02-2005, 07:52 AM
hehe... at the start, i really like the autocannon.. i just load that baby up with HE and INC ammo and let everything die!

(a little sadistic, but it's fun nevertheless)

Havell
10-02-2005, 06:02 PM
It seems there is a problem with the game (or mine at least) I can't start any missions in Northen Europe.

*Downloads again*

DonCorleone
10-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Can´t pass first terror camp :blink:
I remember that it was hard when I played this for the first time years ago. But I´m playing the beginner level and at the camp is nearly no chance getting out of the plane to take position at strategic points. They will shoot at once. Thought I should leave that first camp out and spend more money in science to get stronger weapons and shields. But I think I want to kill em all :evil: in that first one. Possible?

DonCorleone
10-02-2005, 09:51 PM
BTW @ ravel: had problems with abandonia´s version, too. Try using the win95 compatiblity mode and turn off visual designs in the same window. If this doesn´t work either try the same with HOTU´s version. Works fine on my system ( with just small failures) ;)

Havell
10-02-2005, 09:54 PM
What guns do you have? You don't have much chance with conventional earth weapons but laser rifles are quite adaquate for terror missions (provided it isn't a night mission or anything) if you can throw grenades at or shoot all the aliens outside of your craft then you should be alright at the start, it might take a bit of saving and reloading. After you're out the best thing you can be is cautious, moving in groups (get your men to watch each other backs) but don't travel too close together (grenades...) and be careful around corners (aliens are good at reflex shots). Also, don't make the mistake I used to make and only send a few of your men out, try to get as many of your men out of the craft as possible, the more ground you can cover the better and they don't gain any stats just hanging around in the craft.

DonCorleone
10-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Just have eart weapons with HE ammo thought that would do. So I have to do some science before kicking some alien behind out of Paris :sneaky:

I shot all that were in sight. But some UFO-like aliens are next to my plane where I cna´t see them. And if I got marines out though, they took control of the others in the plane and shot all men down.... so I think leaving that out wouldn´t be that bad? :tomato:

BTW:Did you try the tweakin I mentioned above?

&gt;sKy&lt;
10-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Try using the win95 compatiblity mode and turn off visual designs in the same window.

I'd like to try this...but I don't know how. :help:

DonCorleone
10-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Press with right mouse button on the ufo.exe. Choose last point in menu ( Thin that´s "properties"). After that choose the tab "compatbility". and there you make the modifications I mentioned above....

&gt;sKy&lt;
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Ah. Thanks much. :ok:

DonCorleone
10-02-2005, 10:45 PM
You´re welcome :D

Jman4117
11-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Use a smoke grenade at the base of the ramp the first turn and don't move out. Not only does this give you cover, it also allows the aliens to move during their turn so they aren't all at max TUs to mow you down with reaction fire. As for weapons; HE rounds and laser rifles are your best bet for anything up to Snakemen.

Canadianmonk3y
11-02-2005, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Jman4117@Feb 11 2005, 02:13 AM
Use a smoke grenade at the base of the ramp the first turn and don't move out. Not only does this give you cover, it also allows the aliens to move during their turn so they aren't all at max TUs to mow you down with reaction fire. As for weapons; HE rounds and laser rifles are your best bet for anything up to Snakemen.
Laser rifles kill anything except mutons and terrorists in one hit unless you get unlucky.

Jman4117
11-02-2005, 02:44 AM
I play on superhuman, so it's different. ;)

Havell
11-02-2005, 10:44 AM
No it's not ;)

another_guest
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Superhuman... yikes :blink:

Anyway, if anyone else would follow your advice on using smoke grenades, don't leave your soldiers in the smoke for too long, you'll see their health decreasing soon enough... I always prefered those HE grenades (the red and white ones, however they were called) to anything smoky, but then again I have no experience with superhuman level :D

Havell
11-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Superhuman is exactly the same as beginner, and all the other levels, it's a bug. Read the rest of the thread if you like, it's mentioned many times ;)

Jman4117
11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
It was fixed. Windows versions and using Xcomutil on the DOS version fixes it.

Canadianmonk3y
11-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Jman4117@Feb 11 2005, 07:04 PM
It was fixed. Windows versions and using Xcomutil on the DOS version fixes it.
Yep.
I haven't had the chance to beat superhuman once it was fixed. (yet)

&gt;sKy&lt;
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
:wall:

There's no "Compatability" tab when I go to the Properties menu of the UFO.exe icon. And YES, I know I'm doing everything the way you told me.

Grrr....

DonCorleone
12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
THX @Jman :D
Helped much although I didn´t have laser weapons, yet.

12-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I love laser weapons, especially laser rifles since I prefer auto shots.
In most cases I even use them partially when I have access to plasma weapons, because I tend to run out of elerium to make ammo for those plasma guns.
I never cared much for heavy lasers though.

DonCorleone
12-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Nooo! I can´t understand. It seems that there is really a problem with the maps of South Africa in my copy of EU. Thought I solved the problem with that win95 compatibility thing. Does anyone know how to solve this disturbing prob?
I´m taking advance in science and weapon development for the first time. Step by step. And now this again.... :angry:

Jman4117
13-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Download from HotU and try their's?

Canadianmonk3y
13-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 12 2005, 05:52 PM
I love laser weapons, especially laser rifles since I prefer auto shots.
In most cases I even use them partially when I have access to plasma weapons, because I tend to run out of elerium to make ammo for those plasma guns.
I never cared much for heavy lasers though.
Laser rifles are statistically better than heavy lasers.

Ultralisk
13-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey I wanna editor that will prove so much useful in gameplay esspecially an armor and exp trainer will be useful by the way I can't research any good flying units just Interceptors but in your screenshots a saw one that looks powerful in one base I keep 100 Scientists and researches are going always good or excellent I need to know whether I need to research for a good Interceptor

so angry
13-02-2005, 01:18 PM
dudes... i just found this game... i was so uber happy, but like everytime i enter a battle scene or whatever, the game tells me the mission objectives and it crashes

im running it from windows xp, i tried dosbox but it wont run from there...

HELP ME PLEASE! ur all speaking about the game i love so, i crave to take down some alien scum, but please... dont make me play terror from the deep

13-02-2005, 03:02 PM
hey is xenocide out yet if not when will it be out

Jman4117
13-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I believe they have had a geoscape demo out for about a year now. Not sure when the next release will be.

14-02-2005, 07:49 AM
ACK! I'm having a big issue in X-Com. :( :( :(

Can anyone help me?

The first time I played, I did terrible, scored negative monthly ratings every time, and eventually lost the USA to the aliens.

Second time around, complete opposite, 1000+ monthly ratings every month, taking down every sighted UFO and/or defeating their forces at land.

April 1999 comes around...suddenly the USA is buzzing with UFOs. I take down 2 larges and various smalls, but allow two very larges to conduct their business in Canada and USA untouched, big mistake. An infiltration mission succeeds and I lose USA. So I reload my save and redo April, this time I take out both battleships as soon as I can (after they land on the USA), and a large abductor as well. Another large ship manages to slip away before I can get it. This is on the 14th. So I fast forward to the end of the month to see what happens, skipping through completed research notifications and spottings of small craft (no terrorism site comes up, though it does if I don't fast forward). At the end of the month...

USA STILL GOES TO THE ALIENS.

What the hell is up? If I play too poorly I lose them? If I play too well I lose them? This wouldn't be such an issue if my base wasn't /IN/ USA.

...what do I do? =(

another_guest
14-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Are you sure it's only because of what happened in April? Usually a country/territory is only gradually won over by the aliens, at least that's been my experience. Usually the ratings you got by a particular government started dropping, and after 3 or more months like that, they changed sides.
Mind you, I'm not sure whether this is always the case, but couldn't that be the reason?
Because from your description it looks like you couldn't do much more -except also cleaning up the small landing sites at the end of April.

14-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by another_guest@Feb 14 2005, 11:44 AM
Are you sure it's only because of what happened in April? Usually a country/territory is only gradually won over by the aliens, at least that's been my experience. Usually the ratings you got by a particular government started dropping, and after 3 or more months like that, they changed sides.
Mind you, I'm not sure whether this is always the case, but couldn't that be the reason?
Because from your description it looks like you couldn't do much more -except also cleaning up the small landing sites at the end of April.
I tried finishing off the month. Got a rating of 3,000 and still lost USA.

How implausible would it be to sack my base and move over to the radar base in Eurasia?

14-02-2005, 11:23 AM
By the way...on my April save, I found a base in the USA on the 20th, it could of been there longer ... it could of been there in January. However I had still been kicking a lot of behind and the USA had been raising my funds every month until April when they suddenly left me.

I checked the graphis, it shows alien activity in the USA spiked in April, but X-Com activity in the USA also spiked in April accordingly.

All in all I just don't see what I was doing wrong.

14-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh and destroying the base on the 20th did not stop them alien loving Americans from converting...

Havell
14-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Sometimes this game does that to you, bad things happen and there's nothing you can do but carry on and try to do the best you can (just like real life). Remember that funding from countries isn't the only way to get money (selling alien weapons/equipment will get you rich very fast).
The alien base is the most likely cause of their infiltration. When you invade it make sure you bring stun rods/small launchers to stun the alien commander (everyone in the command centre) and don't interrogate him until you need to.

14-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by R Havell@Feb 14 2005, 12:29 PM
Sometimes this game does that to you, bad things happen and there's nothing you can do but carry on and try to do the best you can (just like real life). Remember that funding from countries isn't the only way to get money (selling alien weapons/equipment will get you rich very fast).
The alien base is the most likely cause of their infiltration. When you invade it make sure you bring stun rods/small launchers to stun the alien commander (everyone in the command centre) and don't interrogate him until you need to.
I destroyed all the battleships...albeit not until after they landed. Shouldn't that prevent the success of the infiltration? :-/

Also, it's not about the funds. It's about the fact that my base is in the USA. It's a huge waste of opportunity to have your base in a country that doesn't support you. And I'm only 4 months into the game.

That said I really don't want to restart, again, because of something silly like this that probably shouldn't have happened.

But it looks like I might have to.

PrejudiceSucks
14-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by R Havell@Feb 14 2005, 12:29 PM
When you invade it make sure you bring stun rods/small launchers to stun the alien commander (everyone in the command centre) and don't interrogate him until you need to.
Something also handy to remember, what you could do is totally fill the command room with smoke from smoke grenades - I captured not only a sectoid commander doing this, but a medic and navigator too - and I got info on Etherials! Woohoo - M.C labs!

So don't forget the smoke (from grenades or explosions) can also stun aliens. Just remember that it might take a while.

XIthTalon
14-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey guys this is my first post in these forums so please be nice LOL...

I have just brought a copy of X-Com UFO Enemy unknown off e-bay for ?15 :wall: PC Rom version "DONT SAY A WORD!" and when i try to run it the Graphics are over sizes in a big way.

I am working off Windows XP, i think i need some sort of patch but cant seem to find it :cry:.

Can any of you kind people please point me in some sort of direction for this patch to make this beautiful and legendary game work on my L-Top.

I used to play this on the Playstation and loved it to bits when i was a lot younger and have been looking for it ever since...

So Please Help!!! LOL

Thanks Guys

Talon AkA N00B!

xcom freak
14-02-2005, 05:46 PM
:blink: Xcom :blink: Playstation :eeeeeh:

XIthTalon
14-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by xcom freak@Feb 14 2005, 06:46 PM
:blink: Xcom* :blink: Playstation* :eeeeeh:
oh hell yeah man, i used to play it for days on end.

Didn't even know you could get it for PC till a couple of years ago LOL...

check it out bud...

http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/6b/ae/01_1_b.JPG

And my question still stands does anyone know of a Windows XP patch coz the graphics are still way to big to play the game :cry:

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

xcom freak
14-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Did you try downloading it from this site coz i have XP and 0 problem running the game?

14-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by xcom freak@Feb 14 2005, 07:03 PM
Did you try downloading it from this site coz i have XP and 0 problem running the game?
I did i have tried both and still am having no luck :cry: and i was so , i have no idea what the problem could be its just not the correct size on the screen for some reason and the pictures that i do get like the intro and the Micro Probe logo look blocky to say the least, :wall:

david brain
14-02-2005, 06:36 PM
hi,
this is probably a really stupid question but i am not great with computers.
i have downloaded ufo but don't know how to unzip and play it. please could someone tell me the process to go through step by step. I would be eternally grateful

xcom freak
14-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Do you have an unzipping program (pkunzip,winrar winzip...)?

14-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by david brain@Feb 14 2005, 07:36 PM
hi,
this is probably a really stupid question but i am not great with computers.
i have downloaded ufo but don't know how to unzip and play it. please could someone tell me the process to go through step by step. I would be eternally grateful
Not a problem bud its quite simple, just double click on the icon on your desk top 'UFO - Enemy unknown' once you are in the unzip files left click the mouse and you'll get a window with 'Extract All' second from bottom click that and you will start the extraction process and just follow what it says bro...

DonCorleone
14-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Not a problem bud its quite simple, just double click on the icon on your desk top 'UFO - Enemy unknown' once you are in the unzip files left click the mouse and you'll get a window with 'Extract All' second from bottom click that and you will start the extraction process and just follow what it says bro...

Right. But as far as I´m concerned this only works with winXP...
So if you own another windows version just do a google search on winrar or winzip...

14-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Hi there guys, i have a question,

I was well on a roll with 4 basses, 2 big ones in europe and usa, small ones in indonesia and africa.

Problem is : Ethereals.
Now, i remembered from the old days that certain sectiod aliens can activate the psy research option as well. i looked it up in the famous staregy guide bij kasey, and found out this was only the case with the leader/commander

is it true? as for the leader i mean.

And the second question: Where do i find sectiod leaders ? are they in large scouts ? cuz thats the biggest thing with sectoids ive seen flying around in quite some time

Jman4117
15-02-2005, 03:25 AM
XIthTalon: you probably need the f0dder patch get it here (http://members.aol.com/stjones/xcomutil/) along with the the difficulty patch and a few mods to make it harder if you get bored... :D

Guest's USA pact problem: If they land they can take the counrty. Just cut your loses and take the battleships on the ground to get 200 elerium each. Killing on the ground doesn't stop the pacts.

KillerBee256
15-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I came to learn of this game from the web comic sluggy freelance, it's great but I have a problem the game crashes every time I'm about to start a mission, I have Win98

xcom freak
15-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by KillerBee256@Feb 15 2005, 11:44 PM
I came to learn of this game from the web comic sluggy freelance, it's great but I have a problem the game crashes every time I'm about to start a mission, I have Win98
I had that problem too on XP but i really forgot how i fixed it
sorry no help here!!!

jareth_chong
16-02-2005, 02:48 AM
You guys should know that not everyone would enjoy X-COM. I have just posted a message on the Jagged Alliance forum:

Originally posted by jareth_chong@Feb 15 2005, 03:50 AM
I have just started playing Jagged Alliance. I had missed out the Jagged Alliance series because of X-COM, a game I truly despise. Some ten years ago, when people and reviews described Jagged Alliance as a "game that is like X-COM", I immediately decided that I was not going to try Jagged Alliance.

I bought X-COM when it first came to the US because of all the rave reviews and praises. I played it, and I really really hated it. Its gameplay involved too much number crunching, and its unintuitive interface was overcrowded with too many buttons. I played it for a couple days and gave up on it.

A few years later, after I had upgraded my computer, I tried playing X-COM again. There was still too much micromanagement of statistics and numbers. The X-COM soldiers lacked any sort of personality or individuality--they are just vanilla plain. In fact, the whole game just does not have any unique "personality" or "flavor". X-COM was really just a "spreadsheet" gameplay. I still did not like the game at all.

Then, a few more years later again, at the turn of the millenium, I bought another new computer and gave X-COM the third and one last chance. I ended up hating it even more because its graphics and sound was already badly outdated by then, plus I had never liked its gameplay in the first place.

I had known Jagged Alliance, like X-COM, also had fund management, map overviews, personnel management, and many seemingly similar elements. I had always imagined the two games offered very much the same sort of gameplay. So I had never bothered giving Jagged Alliance a try.

A couple weeks ago, I was looking online for the old classic Ultima (VI-VII) and Quest for Glory series to download when I came across Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games. The games were free, so I decided to give them a try. Wow! Jagged Alliance is so not like X-COM at all. I really enjoy Jagged Alliance although it is over ten years old.

Unfortunately, the free "abandonware" versions of Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games do not have speech. So I ended up buying used copies of Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games because I wanted to play the games with full sound and voiceovers. I am going to start playing Jagged Alliance 2 after I am done with the first two games.

Now that I know X-COM had made me missed out Jagged Alliance for ten years, I hated X-COM even more. X-COM was truly a burden for Jagged Alliance. I have read that many X-COM fans have never tried Jagged Alliance because the two games came out at around the same time, and Jagged Alliance was generally regarded as a X-COM "clone". X-COM had overshadowed Jagged Alliance. On the other hand, people who hated X-COM (like myself) would have never tried Jagged Alliance because, well, if we already hated X-COM, why would we even bother with some game that was "just like X-COM"?

Anyway, that is just what I have to say on this matter.

TwoHedWlf
16-02-2005, 03:17 AM
Of course we realize there will be people that like X-com and the few dumbasses like that guy that don't.:)

another_guest
16-02-2005, 10:16 AM
"people who hated X-COM (like myself) would have never tried Jagged Alliance because, well, if we already hated X-COM, why would we even bother with some game that was "just like X-COM"?"

Sometimes, for things involving taste or opinion, it doesn't hurt to think for yourself :bye:

Eagle of Fire
16-02-2005, 01:32 PM
If you don't like a game then just don't play it. I am personally completely against your opinion of the game and I do find Jagged Alliance to be like X-Com. The only real difference is the theme and you don't need to do research in Jagged Alliance.

As for the graphics I don't consider them outdated right now for X-Com. I like isometric graphic games and I never had a problem with graphics being "pixelated". In fact if I have a choice I often turn down auto-aliasing on my graphic card because I find it to "blurr" the graphics way too much. I like sharp graphics.

&gt;sKy&lt;
16-02-2005, 09:50 PM
To anyone, like me, who has problems beginning missions, download the f0dder patch from the link that Jman posted, and launch X-Com from the "geoscape.exe" icon. Works like a charm.

Lancelot
18-02-2005, 07:07 PM
in english? ok .-)

i played UFO a while an i noticed, that i cant transfer item from one base to another. i can klick the button "transfer", it shows me the cost, i accept and then iam on the first screen where i only can escape when i press "exit" (dont know the english word, exit, break up, something like this... the right button).

BUT then the games closed and all is away.

so i never can send units or items to other bases and now ich just found out, that the avenger takes elerium 115 as fuel and my storage of nearly 400 is down to 9 :-)

is there a patch to fix the problem with the transfer between bases?

another_guest
19-02-2005, 02:23 PM
That's plain weird :blink:
Are you sure there's enough space in the base you're transferring to? Not that the game hangs up if there isn't enough room, but I can't think of another reason.
Also, have you checked that the file transfer.dat (or transfers.dat) is NOT read-only? The game uses this file for transfers between bases, so it should be able to change that file.

Lancelot
19-02-2005, 11:23 PM
i ve found out, that when i play it in english all works... only the german version has this mistake. funny :-(
so ich play in english, when i ve samething to transfer...

Rayearth
20-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Hello I am new in this forum, abandonia is the best page of classic games i visited. thanks.

i research the blaster launcher is a powerfull weapon destroy all, i hate the ethereals and the crysalids. bye

i really bad in english sorry :cry:

Mr. Barman
20-02-2005, 09:25 AM
atleast its readable :ok:

and personally i hate the Mutons, etherals are nothing once you get the psy training going and cryssalids only run around in circles anyway. Mutons are the bastards with the super strong natural armour :hammer:

TwoHedWlf
20-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Chrysalids are definitely the worst enemies, I HATE THEM! Not only do they come out of nowhere, usually take a couple hits to kill, get your guys regardless of their armor they don't just kill your guys they turn in into ANOTHER *dirty word* CHRYSALID! Talk about adding insult to injury...

troop18546
20-02-2005, 11:51 AM
I have to say that when I saw this games begining I thought:
- Woah, this is gonna be interesting!
But all of it lost since it didnt appeal enough. :(

PrejudiceSucks
20-02-2005, 07:31 PM
I totally agree with the guy who said that Mutons are the hardest - those guys are totally impossible to kill in the first couple of months (no lasers/alien grenades)

Oh and to the guy who had the problem with the crysallids - there is a really easy although quite dangerous way to solve your problem - keep proximity grenades (primed) in all of your soldiers pockets :ok:

If the Crysallid survives then you run up to them and taser them - once they drop, pick up the corpse and run back to your ship.

Then fly away before it wakes up!

(I think that getting a live crysallid gives you M.C something, but I'm not sure what)

Karn Shiroshi
20-02-2005, 07:35 PM
The game is great. It takes a little to get used to, but when you do you'll be forging your own tactics in no time. I know I have.

Lizard
20-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I finished this game few times but what actually does reaper.
(that big alien thing that comes with aliens which can float.I dunno their names,Floaters? :D )

Karn Shiroshi
20-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah that's it. Reapers, the big hulky aliens? Looks like something from Star Wars to me. *shrug* I never paid that much attention to them, they were just fodder.

another_guest
20-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Reapers... usually they just hang around (well, not literally hanging), but they have some type of attack. It included those typical orange flashes you also get when ethereals try mind controlling your units. But I *think* it just dealt damage, nothing more.

I've finished the game without ever taking a live crysalid, so apparently it's not necessary taking the risks. Though that's a personal choice :D
It's also a good idea to let soldiers spread in groups of three: if one runs into a crysalid, the two others can still try to take it down in time.

As for mutons early in the game: don't heavy rockets damage them a decent bit (not enough though to take them out in a single shot)? Also, I prefer using auto cannons over rifles (I mean rifles, not laser rifles!) as a few hits with those still have more effect than rifles. A friend of mine once set out with 8 soldiers using only rifles. They all ended up dead while he didn't take out a single muton :whistle: Not me though, me likes heavy rockets early in the game...

Yobor
20-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Since the whole thread is really long, I cannot read it all. So I apologize if my question has been answered a million times.

In the review it says there is a patch that stops the graphics problems. But I can't find it! When I try to run the game the screen flashes black and says "Input not Accepted"
Please Help! I have an Athlon 2600 with a Radeon 9600 Video Card. I have a Flat-screen Monitor (don't know if that makes a difference)
:help:

Jman4117
21-02-2005, 03:16 AM
f0dder <---- :P

As for Reapers, they have a rather weak "hand to hand" attack. I've lost like....2 soldiers in 8 years of playing. :yawn:

Eagle of Fire
21-02-2005, 05:49 AM
I don't understand the deal with the Mutons. When I fight those I usually already have access to the best guns from a long time, so I don't really have a problem fighting them.

Fighting anything else than the Grey and Floaters with rifle is almost suicidal...

Mr. Barman
21-02-2005, 06:48 AM
i usually give my men laser rifles with 2 or 4 heavy lasers, it just means that when it comes to the Avenger i can take 2 HWP - Plasma and 14 men with all the other equipment (psy amps, grenades, medikits and so on)

Lizard
21-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Huh?I actually never used another weapon than laser rifle...I never had problems kill something with these,

PrejudiceSucks
21-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Heavy Lasers defy conventional wisdom by both sucking and blowing!

Laser rifles are better, but when you get enough, heavy plasma destroys all (it can even go through UFO walls!)

Blaster launchers are pretty good, but if you want heavy weapons then rocket launchers + incendiary rounds are da bomb. (pun intended)

Also, I have never been attacked by reapers, they usually get blown up by proxy grenades or High Explosive (another weapon of choice), on the other hand Crysallids actually have some of the best armour in the game against high explosive, and easily the worst against incendiary shots.

And whilst the three man team idea is nice, the guy in the front pretty much always gets zombified, so killing him makes the problem worse. You should always try to knock them out if possible with Tasers or Small Launchers, but not kill them or else there will be one more crysallid.

Which can be really, really annoying, especially if the zombie gets in the dropship (happened to me, lost 6 guys with power armour. Needless to say, the high explosive lobbed in solved the problem (although it took 3 packs on different timers , at 0, 1 and 2!)

Lizard
21-02-2005, 06:20 PM
I have finished Ufo few times on diferent dificulties,and always just with laser rifles(plus explosives and few blaster launchers of course).I think that laser rifles are best weapons in Ufo.(solid damage,solid accuracy,unlimited ammo..).
I want to know what Reapers do becouse I never saw that they are making something diferent that walking(and dying :D ).

PrejudiceSucks
21-02-2005, 06:26 PM
LOL same here. I think they have some kind of melee attack, but I am in no way sure. They're not too hard to kill though.

I have a really cool Unofficial Strategy Guide, that I got when I searched "X-Com Guides" on Alltheweb.

it lists all kinds of things and is quite a good read. There is also an X-Com2 guide but it is (surprisingly enough) pretty much the same.

Malligant
21-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I played this game when it first came out, loved it then, it wasn't until I was looking for a different game I came across this site! thanks!

Started playing it again, and just watched my free time zip down to zero..

One thing though, how the hell do you turn off the music??

LittleDude
21-02-2005, 07:45 PM
use tanks if you ask me strong cost 420 000 but hell they're worth it

Jman4117
22-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Malligant@Feb 21 2005, 08:43 PM
I played this game when it first came out, loved it then, it wasn't until I was looking for a different game I came across this site! thanks!

Started playing it again, and just watched my free time zip down to zero..

One thing though, how the hell do you turn off the music??
If it's the Windows version mute your MIDI (FM Synth)

PrejudiceSucks
22-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Actually, as soon as you can get power armour (or even at the start, really) I stop using tanks completely.

The main reason why I don't like tanks is that their ammo takes up loads of space and also that they can't pick anything up.

When you attack supply ships after shooting them down, tanks become awful, as they can't go through the doors without using expensive blaster ammo, or wasting heavy plasma rounds that should be used elsewhere.

And another thing, if you land at night (especially on terror missions) with tanks and blind-fire the walls to get cheap alien kills you will more often than not kill a load of civilians, which is bad.

All in all, they are not worth it, even at the start.

Be controversial and use the Lightning! It's great!

TwoHedWlf
22-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Hmmm, I love the tanks, they're cheap, disposable, good firepower and if they are damaged don't take a month to heal. I usually put 2-3 on each transport. I send them out first so if they do get destroyed, who cares? Buy another one, they're cheap. They're great for just shooting in the general direction of an alien because their rockets are reasonably powerful and they're faster than most soldiers. So if I'm attacking a large ship I send the tanks circling around the map with 1 soldier each following it, the others go straight for the doors to the ship. You can also have one of your soldiers open the UFO's door, drive the tank up and launch a rocket or two inside.

Lizard
22-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by TwoHedWlf@Feb 22 2005, 01:23 PM
Hmmm, I love the tanks, they're cheap, disposable, good firepower and if they are damaged don't take a month to heal. I usually put 2-3 on each transport. I send them out first so if they do get destroyed, who cares? Buy another one, they're cheap. They're great for just shooting in the general direction of an alien because their rockets are reasonably powerful and they're faster than most soldiers. So if I'm attacking a large ship I send the tanks circling around the map with 1 soldier each following it, the others go straight for the doors to the ship. You can also have one of your soldiers open the UFO's door, drive the tank up and launch a rocket or two inside.
:blink:
Well I dont thing that tanks were so good.In fact one trooper in flying suit with heavy plasma is almost as good as plasma tank AND:deplete a less space,can go in smaller Ufo without depleting a lot of ammo,will get better through the game,and is a LOT cheaper than tank.New soldier costs 60 000(plus some weapons that you have so or so on stock anyway).And btw you must build tanks in workshops anyway, which take time that could be used on much important things.As you can guess I am not big fan of tanks.

another_guest
22-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm not so fond of tanks either, but I usually send one out first, especially on terror sites. I hate it when I have trouble getting my soldiers out...
But unless I've got plenty of elerium, I simply use one of the initial rocket launchers: no manufacturing needed and they don't consume elerium.

However, my experience with tanks is that they get killed about as easily as any soldier wearing some kind of suit.

Jman4117
22-02-2005, 11:51 PM
The only tank I hardly ever use is the rocket tank (perhaps plasma on those Muton missions). Cost more than a Rookie, yes...but if you have a few Captains and Colonels along...um yeah. Takes months of combat to turn them into top notch guys, easily worth $500k a piece. Where the tanks really come in handy is when you need to move a big gun around quickly. The average rookie will take over a month to get up to 70+ TUs and is also vulnerable to psi, which a tank is not.

xcom freak
22-02-2005, 11:59 PM
I use tanks coz i dont get sad when i lose one i know thats :crazy:

A tank IS the best way to go in UFO they can take more damage they dont get wounded they dont panic they dont turn into monsters and if u use ur research wisely ull c that at evey stage of the game ull have a tank that can take out an alien in asingle shot + high time units and good reaction.

TO let a rookie become a colonel which i prefer over a tank ull need to sacrifice tanks and not crew to get there.

Titan
23-02-2005, 12:44 AM
I agree with Lightning is a good craft.
Arm it with laser-gun and you have a perfect elerium-hunter, hunting down small crafts, and jumping them on impact.

Regarding tanks.. one of the most evil ways of killing the aliens "tanks" is to MC one of the 4 squars of a cyber-disc, and either move it one square so it reaction-fire on itself, or use it to kill aliens.

Blaster-launcher is en EXELENT way to deal with Secoid craft where only the leaders have psi-powers.
On battle-ships, Terror and surply-ships the leaders is ALWAYS at the same starting-room for theire class, so you only need to bring 2-3 guys with 1 blaster and 1 round loaded.
Send out a scout, locate the UFO, use one blaster-round to open the roof from above, next right down, and yet one more to be sertain that you got them all :)
Or use the same tactic if you have flying suite, to equpits 2-3 of your men with stun-launchers.
just place them at level 4, if the roof is level 2-3, blast the roof open, and have them fire down at different angels, and then drop a prox-nade down... if they are not stunned, they will die if they move :)
On all missions beside terror-sites, brute force is usualy the best way.
Aliens also Panic due to low moral if you manage to knock some leaders pretty fast, and keep the kill-count at a decent rate.

A Large-scout site shouldn't take more then 10 turns.
Use Prox-nades and laser-rifles at the start, and switch to heavy P and prox-nades later.
If you are trapping a door to KILL, place the nade 1 square outside.
If you wanna get the alien alive, and just wanna use it as detection-device, place it right next to the door or wall you wanna cover, or right around a corner, where the blast won't reach the targeted alien.

I ONLY use high-explosives to take out buildings, never inside ufo's, since the blast-radius is too greate, and will destroy too much stuff and put your own men at risk.

If you wanna REALY learn how to use nades, try and start a game @ easy, with all rookie soldiers, and at your first large-scout mission, arm your men ONLY with Proxy and smokers, along with Pistols for close combat.

Realy.. the ONLY aliens you need alive is; 1 navigator ONCE, 1 leader and commander ONCE.. and then TONES of Medics :)
I always try to take every harvester/abductor with blasting the leader if it's sectoid, and hit the medics with stunners, and then place a smoke-nade with 8 turns delay.. seems like it keeps them down longer.. smoke stuns :)

23-02-2005, 01:12 AM
ha for real..... i never noticed that! :guns:

----------Dragonlancer

dragonLancer
23-02-2005, 01:13 AM
sry that last post was me (i forgot to login)

another_guest
23-02-2005, 09:34 AM
For small ufos I've shot down, I do use high explosives inside them: if there's a large hole in the roof already (caused by intercepting the ufo), there's no power source inside anymore. So I pop in a few high explosives through the roof, rather than going in and getting shot in the doorway :)

Sometimes you will have killed all aliens inside the ufo, and there's still one out somewhere. The last time I played UFO, I posted a soldier over any stunned aliens (usually only a few); this prevents them from getting up again. I don't know if stunned aliens that awake ever pick up their weapons again, but if I have to leave them alone, I take no risks: take the ammo, including that in their weapon.
Also, if their plasmas (or heavy plasmas) have been fired already, you'll lose all of the ammo in the gun at the end of the mission. So you could as well use it up instead of firing your own full rounds.

PrejudiceSucks
23-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Actually, you do not lose all of the ammo if you unload the weapon.

What you do is, on the last turn, if your guys have (for example) laser rifles and have picked up plasmas or whatever, go to their inventory and click the weapon on the 'unload' button. (a gun with a clip dropping out of the bottom)

This way, you don't have to waste your precious elerium to make more clips.

PrejudiceSucks
23-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Oh and another thing, regarding the guy who talked abot proxy nades 1 square away from the door, what you should do if you really need to finish off that one last alien is to save before you throw the grenade, that way if it misses the target, you can load and try again!

:ok: That's my top tip for the day.

another_guest
23-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Feb 23 2005, 12:31 PM
Actually, you do not lose all of the ammo if you unload the weapon.
Good to know, I didn't know that :ok:

PrejudiceSucks
23-02-2005, 03:47 PM
By any chance is there a hint of sarcasm in those words? :crazy:

another_guest
23-02-2005, 05:03 PM
No, on the contrary!
I used to play UFO a lot, so it's only seldom that someone comes up with something useful that I didn't know about :)

PrejudiceSucks
23-02-2005, 06:12 PM
LOL

I am usually a source of not-so-handy advice!

Another thing regarding unloading weapons - you cannot, I repeat cannot unload them at the pre-battle setup screen!

Whenever this is attempted, it skips right to the mission, meaning the only way to make sure (for example) your Missile Launchers start off with incediary rounds is to take only them along, which is a bit lame really.

And one more thing - on the original - again, I repeat original UFO : Enemy Unknown without any patches (and not X-COM - UFO Defence) if a battleship attacks your base (this is a good reason to not defend bases using missile/plasma defences etc. when you have a lot of tanks / soldiers free inside) and you kill all of the aliens who come you can get upwards of 500 elerium! That's enough for about 90 Firestorm flights!

Eagle of Fire
23-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Also another thing - you cannot, under any circumstances Taser your own soldiers (and believe me, I've tried), to knock them out (for example when they keep getting mind-controlled and have large amounts of explosives) you will have to either throw a lot of smoke grenades or fire a small launcher at them - annoying it may be, but it is sometimes the best alternitive to killing them.

This is completely false, I used to do it all the time. I think armor give a certain degree of protection against tasers tough but you can stun one of your teamate just as well as any other units.

I never try to stun a mind controled unit anyways. I either run away and immediatly make him throw all his stuff at me when he stop being controlled or kill him on the spot when this happen.

PrejudiceSucks
23-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Oh! Well I didn't know that! I tried it about 10 minutes ago and it didn't work!

Maybe it is just on UFO Defence that it doesn't work! (I have both)

Hmm... well there I am. Thanks for the heads up, it really did help, especially on those pesky terror missions (which I very rarely actually do - I land and then whoosh! Right off again, until I have power suits)

*retracts previous comment*

24-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi there, i ve taken a look at your discussion and you might be just the ones to help me out:

I just researched the psi lab and built one in every base i have...but how can i send my soldiers to train?

i really have no idea, how to do this

TwoHedWlf
24-02-2005, 01:01 PM
At the end of every month it pops up a screen asking which soldiers you want in training. Kind of a pain in the behind that it only goes monthly though. So if you build the lab near the beginning of the month you have to wait almost a whole month to start training.:(

24-02-2005, 03:04 PM
hey there.

I have an question, how do I take screenshots (in battle to more precise) while using the windows version? Everytime I hit Print Screen, and paste the image on Paint the screen is all f*cked up.
Is there any software that can help me?

PrejudiceSucks
24-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes, Hypersnap DX is quite good look for that.

Lizard
24-02-2005, 05:21 PM
WOW!!!35 "pages" of UFO... :kosta:
Is Hypersnap DX downloadable?And if yes can you provide a link(and please not to google :D )

Dreadlord
24-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Hypersnap DX (http://www.hyperionics.com/)

Free trial is there, enjoy :ok: .

Lizard
24-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Dreadlord@Feb 24 2005, 07:25 PM
Hypersnap DX (http://www.hyperionics.com/)

Free trial is there, enjoy :ok: .
And once again.Thanks almighty dreadlord :kosta: :kosta: :Brain:

Dreadlord
24-02-2005, 05:30 PM
LOL, it's nothing really. :angel:

Now I need some help, how in god's name do you slow the game down? It travels at the speed of light on my PC...

Edit: Wait, nevermind, I just set the priority to lowest.

Lizard
24-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Dreadlord@Feb 24 2005, 07:30 PM
LOL, it's nothing really. :angel:

Now I need some help, how in god's name do you slow the game down? It travels at the speed of light on my PC...

Edit: Wait, nevermind, I just set the priority to lowest.
Yup...Or you can just slowdown Dosbox with Ctrl plus F11 :D

PrejudiceSucks
24-02-2005, 08:21 PM
*coughs*

No thanks to the old PrejudiceSucks for the Hypersnap DX note in the first place? Oh well *cries and falls asleep in a pool of his own tears*

Lizard
24-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Feb 24 2005, 10:21 PM
*coughs*

No thanks to the old PrejudiceSucks for the Hypersnap DX note in the first place? Oh well *cries and falls asleep in a pool of his own tears*
Ok,Ok thanks.You are best.... :kosta: :kosta: LOL

24-02-2005, 08:47 PM
well all seems fine except when i take out pictures on geoscape mode. the earth is ok, but the space get´s green and such...do I need to change any special seetings before starting using it?

PrejudiceSucks
25-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the gratitude! :Brain:

I have no idea what is going wrong with Hypersnap DX. I know of it but not really how it works. I've only used it a couple of times, but I don't think that it ever went green.

So sorry. :crazy:

Lizard
25-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 24 2005, 10:47 PM
well all seems fine except when i take out pictures on geoscape mode. the earth is ok, but the space get´s green and such...do I need to change any special seetings before starting using it?
Actually it work flawlessly here. :blink: Althougth I didnt took pictures of geospace mode in Ufo... LOL Advice:In Dosbox you can take pictures with ctrl plus F5.Try it with this...

PrejudiceSucks
25-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Well thank your lucky cans of soup this one isn't as hard as TfTD!

Phhew I must look like a total n00b, but I just completed this game for the first time! Woohoo!

Unlucky, you alien suckers, I just kissed your Cydonian arses goodbye! WOOOOO!

Sorry... ummm....

Tip for the day : Get plasma cannons... yeah... inspiring advice once again from the man himself, PrejudiceSucks.

You may cheer now.

Lizard
25-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Actually I saw that there is Ufo music download on this site.Has anybody tried it?It is worth?(always played Ufo without music...)

PrejudiceSucks
26-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I have the HOTU version (with music) as well as the Abandonia version without. It doesn't really add very much and is used mainly for the dogfights in the air, but is also used in the Geoscape (again, it doesn't add much) and some of the missions.

It's not an essential download, but it is quite good just to 'brighten up' the game.

zombie
26-02-2005, 09:54 PM
i downloaded the file. i click on it. winZip say its a screensaver!!! aaaaaaahhrg!! :eeeeeh: :ranting: :ranting: :wall: :rifle: :rifle: :rifle: :angry: :angry: :angry: *angry!!* please help!

PrejudiceSucks
27-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Hmm... if you're using XP then I suggest you download Winzip and try again, otherwise, I have no idea.

Just extract all of the stuff to a folder on your hard drive and see what happens.

Jman4117
27-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 24 2005, 04:04 PM
hey there.

I have an question, how do I take screenshots (in battle to more precise) while using the windows version? Everytime I hit Print Screen, and paste the image on Paint the screen is all f*cked up.
Is there any software that can help me?
F12 in Windows gives you a .tga file

PrejudiceSucks
28-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah, that and the Hypersnap DX method. Try both! Enjoy capturing screens... or something. Yes...

X-Com tip for the day (number 1) : On the last hour of every month, transfer all of your scientists and technicians - you won't pay them a penny whilst they're in transit!

Lizard
28-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Feb 28 2005, 06:42 AM
Yeah, that and the Hypersnap DX method. Try both! Enjoy capturing screens... or something. Yes...

X-Com tip for the day (number 1) : On the last hour of every month, transfer all of your scientists and technicians - you won't pay them a penny whilst they're in transit!
Work it also in Terror from the Deep?I started to play it again...But I guess I am in bad topic.... :whistle:

soldier1024
28-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi!

I also played with this awesome game years ago, and installed it last month again. This game is really a hard one, even after so many years :) The first time I could only finish it (an old dos version of the game) by hexaediting my saved game which resulted extra 400 million dollars. With the help of this, everything went smoother :D

I couldnt read all the 36 pages of comments but i'd like to advise you something:

Create a wiki-forum for ufo1! Everyone can make additions, or modify incorrect statements in it.

Some of you have a very high knowledge in the game, dont let these hints go away, or dissapear in forums! I also wrote a complete game-guide about ufo1 in a booklet about 10 years ago (ehh, how old am i :D ) it was about 30 pages (and it wasnt even complete) but i borrowed it to someone i forgot.
I havent ever seen the original manual of the game, but as a base of the WIKI it would be perfect. Only additions and corrections should be written to it.

For example: -mentioning that xcomutil (i've never heard about it)
-to warn users about crashing at landing missions (it happened with me manly at terror sites) OR one can use the DOS-version in pure DOS environment (no windows, see it later)
-i never knew, why can i see the picture of the ufo during aircraft-attack?
-why do fundings change, as they do? i havent seen any ufo in europe, but at the end of the month european countries decrease the money. Is it possible i didnt detect ufos in front of my base in europe? (building more short/long radar would detect more ufos? both type of radars are required?)
-when and why do they do base-attacks?
-and maybe the most important: what kind of versions are available. Since i wasnt able to extract version-number from the executable, i dont know the one i owned is the latest (bug fixes), and now there is even a windows version (which bugs still exist in it)
-and these interesting facts, as: difficulty level doesnt change anything etc.

These are some of my questions, which could be a godd additions to that community site.

Bye!

Ps. i found this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Com but thats just a joke. Even my old gameguide was 10 times longer, than this.
ps2: sorry for my poor english, i am a fun from hungary :)

Dreadlord
28-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Can anyone give me tips on this thing? I always die when I land down with my troops.

Lizard
28-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by soldier1024@Feb 28 2005, 09:05 PM
Hi!

I also played with this awesome game years ago, and installed it last month again. This game is really a hard one, even after so many years :) The first time I could only finish it (an old dos version of the game) by hexaediting my saved game which resulted extra 400 million dollars. With the help of this, everything went smoother :D

I couldnt read all the 36 pages of comments but i'd like to advise you something:

Create a wiki-forum for ufo1! Everyone can make additions, or modify incorrect statements in it.

Some of you have a very high knowledge in the game, dont let these hints go away, or dissapear in forums! I also wrote a complete game-guide about ufo1 in a booklet about 10 years ago (ehh, how old am i :D ) it was about 30 pages (and it wasnt even complete) but i borrowed it to someone i forgot.
I havent ever seen the original manual of the game, but as a base of the WIKI it would be perfect. Only additions and corrections should be written to it.

-to warn users about crashing at landing missions (it happened with me manly at terror sites) OR one can use the DOS-version in pure DOS environment (no windows, see it later)
-why do fundings change, as they do? i havent seen any ufo in europe, but at the end of the month european countries decrease the money. Is it possible i didnt detect ufos in front of my base in europe? (building more short/long radar would detect more ufos? both type of radars are required?)
-and maybe the most important: what kind of versions are available. Since i wasnt able to extract version-number from the executable, i dont know the one i owned is the latest (bug fixes), and now there is even a windows version (which bugs still exist in it)

These are some of my questions, which could be a godd additions to that community site.

Bye!

Ps. i found this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Com but thats just a joke. Even my old gameguide was 10 times longer, than this.
Well some of them were already posted here,but a little conclussion
-Yes if someone decrase your funds it is becouse there was an Ufo that you dont detected.They will be also more likely to decrese funding when-You ignore landed Ufos or even worse terror sites
-When you have missions with rating terrible
-If you detect some Ufos but they flee
- :blink: Why can you see the picture of the Ufo during airattacks?Never think about it becouse it is pretty??? :D
-Your bases are often attacked in late phases of game,probobly when it become a thorn ín eyes of aliens or something like that.
-There was a bug in original Ufo that causes that all dificults in Ufo were more or less the same.It was repaired by patch.
And there is surely many that I forgot or even didnt know so correct me if I wrote some bullsh*ts... :max:

Eagle of Fire
28-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Here is a rundown of most of the tips and trick I posted on this thread since I began to post here. Please take note that since I might have been talking to someone at the time some part may or not be really revellant. You should have enough to read for a while tough.

And yes, I posted something on Christmas day. I have no life and had nothing better to do at that moment. ;).

Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Sep 26 2004@ 06:09 PM
OK, here are the most common advices that I can give you. I'll try not to give any spoiler, and if I do without realizing it I give permission to the admins to censor me.

First, you need to build your base. That's the first thing you do in this game, and thus you need to do it from the start even before thinking about battles. The thing is, the first base supplied to you is a big free base, and is kind of nice for the eye. However, it would be more than a pain in the ... to defend would the Aliens decide to attack it, because it has hangars from both the bottom and the top of the base and the access lift if in the middle with other adjacent rooms.

In the best of worlds, all your base layout should generally be the same: your hangars at the very top or the very bottom of the base, then the access lift completely alone somewhere on the third line (the one directly above or under your hangars) then you begin to build your base on the fourth line after the access lift. That way, if the base get attacked, you will be able to defend it with ease with only a handfull of squaddies and a lot of grenades since the Aliens always come in the base from the access lift and the hangars. The third "free" line will act as a "chokepoint" preventing Aliens to invade the base too fast. If one or two aliens managed to get out from the access lift before you get there, kill them. You can be sure all the others will be ahead.

Battle and squaddies: obviously, you need to always try to keep your men alive. Moreover, you need to give your squaddies the best chances to overcome their target. The key points on this in tactical battle is visibility, speed and protection.

Visibility: I personnaly always go out with 12 squaddies and then break them down in three squads of four. The purpose of the squads is to always have at least two squaddies at "key" point when they advance in the black area so you have a good chance of seeing the alien before he do (or most of the time, at the same time he do so he don't have time to fire at will on your men) while the other two squad members advance faster (always keep enough time for a snap shot) and then they switch turn. Once an Alien is spotted, turn your four squaddie attention to it but do not forget to "scout" around for other Aliens, be in front, on the flanks or even in the back if that particular squad did not clear out the area behind them.
In night missions, you will have a very hard time trying to spot the Aliens because it's dark, while the Aliens will have a easy time spotting you because they have a way better vision at night. In that case, you need to use flares. I always bring in my Skyranger at least one flare per squaddie, just in case I run into a night mission. When you send your Skyranger, follow it and look at the map when it lands. If the map is at night (dark), then you'll need to equip the flares to your men. Would you forget, it is very important that you make them all take one flare before exiting the Skyranger (all the weapon you don't assign to your men before a mission are stockpilled at the entrance of the Skyranger).
To use a flare efficiently you only need to throw them far enough so the fartest visible spots are light. That way you will be able to spot aliens around the light just like if it was a day mission.
Use the flares liberally. They will save a lot of your men lives. And don't forget they can be reused; pick them back up and throw them away again.

Speed: never ever overload your men! It seems to be a very common newbie mistake. Your men need all the time units they can spare! I personnaly think that any squaddie under 60 TU is in danger because they lack mobility should they fall into an unexpected trap or need to clear out from an area quickly instead of keeping TU for their snap shot reaction time (like when spotting two aliens near him at end of his movement). If you start a mission and you notice one of your squaddie with less than 100% of his TU, then he's overloaded. Remove as much equipment from his inventory as you can spare, and you'll notice that next turn he'll have more TU to spare (if he did not recover them all). I also advise you to only take riffles (and/or handgun if you feel suicidal or want a challenge) in the first few missions until one of your men have enough strenght to take the bigger weapons without losing any or not too much TU. Most of the Aliens are easy to kill with a riffle anyways.

Endurance: research armors ASAP! I won't spoil the tech route to the first armor, but I'll tell you it's very easy to produce them by the end of the second month, should you know what you are doing. Once you have some armor, research the MediKit tech ASAP. The MediKits will allow the men who did not fall in one hit but are grievely wounded to survive the day and become stronger with time. It's always utterly annoying as a Commander (you) to lose men only because he had a fatal wound of 3 and dyied from blood loss after X turns because you had no medical support on the field... Especially if the man in question is your best soldier!* Before having all your men outfitted with armor, the chance of having a squaddie alive after he get hit will be extremely short, but with armor this will happen most of the time. I always equip all of my soldiers with one MediKit at the start of every battle but can part with one if the soldier is not strong enough to carry one and his equipment without TU loss.

I feel this is the biggest lines of the game. If you follow this to the letter you should have an easy time defeating Aliens... But it probably doesn't follow every style of play. I know some people love grenades, other use only Alien technology... I'll leave all those details and the leading of your squaddies to you.Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Sep 26 2004+ 07:12 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eagle of Fire Posted @ Sep 26 2004 @ 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Yes, I also use Commandos by the end of the game. At the start I feel like casualties can't be brought down to zero and then if I need to select a frech recruit to fill the ranks they can't keep up with the older men. My style of play being mainly based on teamwork, this often lead to even more deaths...* So I keep the squad full at 12.
Another thing is that Psy Aliens are a pain in the late game. It's always a hard blow when you realise your star soldiers are not Psy resistant and turn around on your men at the wrong moment...* Thus the reason I try to get a broad army at the beginning and keep only the PSI resistant men by the end. At the beginning they are still usefull, when they begin to turn on me (and survive) I sack them.

I also do the same; sell any Alien tech (but not alloys and Elerium, for obvious reasons) and keep one for future reseach of each item. My post may be misleading, but I only use the riffles by the very start of the game..! As soon as stronger weapons get out from research, I use them.*

I did know that a lot of people would have different oppinions and strategy than me, so those few points were very general. If you notice, I never got into a very specific point unless it has an obvious tactical advantage.[/b]Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Dec 8 2004@ 03:06 AM
Once you get going the best advice is to never do a night mission. They can see in the dark and you cant. just hover over a crash site til the sun comes up. you might lose the crash site sometimes, but you wont lose your squad.Completely wrong. Apart from the flare wich aready been mentioned by Anubis, night missions can be even easier to win than normal mission because altough the Aliens do see better at night than your own men, they are not intelligent enough (in term of AI) to use or counter the use of flares. This mean that you can get even nearer before spotting and shooting at the Aliens. And when this happen, they are 90% of the time caught with their back turned at you.

If that's not an advantage I don't know what it is.******QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire Posted @ Dec 24 2004@ 10:26 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about the "floaters", but if you can't win a mission then just pack up and leave. Try to keep your Squaddies alive and take those expensive equipment from the dead ones while retreating to your Skyranger.

Remember that you will lose anything which is not in the skyranger when you depart. This mean all the Aliens guns, the armors, the equipment of your dead Squaddies laying around etc.

You will also lose score equal to the number of civilians since they'll all die. But then you'll lose way less points that way than if you only ingnored the mission altogether. And you'll still have the + points you gathered in the mission thus far (like killing for killing ennemies). If you have enough it may even out.

I'm wondering how you could lose at the 3rd month tough? Having trouble fighting the Aliens?[/quote]Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Dec 25 2004@ 12:03 AM

Your don't have "experience" in Xcom. Your men gain attributes point by doing anything. I remember that they are very more likely to gain attributes when they actually kill an Alien tough, but I've had Squaddies gain attributes only by firing a million times and always miss... Also, those who are low on strenght and who carry a lot usually get strenght first of all then the other attributes.

I don't remember seeing Squaddies gaining attribute on things they never did. Like my own soldiers usually get TU, Aiming Accuracy and Throwing Accuracy most of everything else. I always try to train strenght when it's too low, but that's hardly necessary since it usually get up all alone after a little while.Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Jan 4 2005+ 08:28 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eagle of Fire Posted @ Jan 4 2005 @ 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Ufo: Ennemy Unknown Aliens AI is not that good, so if you actually managed to get a grenade thrown at you by them... Well, you so extremely obviously packed up that even the AI managed to see that you could be hit by a grenade..!* :blink:

I don't remember having a single casualty due to grenade in all... Around 25 campains... (My own grenades excluded* :whistle: )

I would say that if you have a problem with grenades, you need to rethink your squad strategy... Especially if you were planning to play TFTD after ending UFO! You'll see what a really good grenade AI can do... I still feel the pain of my first TFTD campain 10 years ago...* :ranting:

Also, I really don't understand what the race of the Alien change. Would it be a mutant, a big tank or whatever... You'll get hit if you stay in the way. Yes, I lost at least two or three Squaddie still in the Skyranger in every game too, but then I never lost as much as you guys seems to be talking about. Being creamed? Never happened to me, at least not inside my own ship! I guess equiping the first squaddies with armor help with that...

I also don't recall losing more than half my own team in any given mission, and last time that happened it was in one of my first campains ever and I was retreating back to base... Having bad equipment and be low on ammo usually don't help much on the winning part...* :whistle:

All in all, I would say that you need to expect a very high death ratio in your first two games, then it will settle up for good and you'll wonder how you managed to get the money to get all those new fresh recruits in the first place... Happened to me, happened to about every Xcom veteran, will happen to you too. ;)[/b]Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Jan 15 2005@ 11:05 AM
Well, I seem to remember a weird bug right now. If you entered a mission while one of your fighter was still chasing an UFO, the game would crash.

Answer to this bug was easy: never chase UFO when you are about to enter a mission. Either disengage and go back to base or just fly near them until you finish the mission.

Another idea would be to send the Skyranger next to the mission without selecting it, down the UFO (or get killed) and then enter the mission.

Anyways, I never experimented such a bug because I never entered a battle with crafts still engaged in battle. I usually tend to wait for all UFO's to be downed before sending my team so I go get the biggest fish. I also tend to change my squaddies equipment depending of the type of mission before sending them to fight, especially when I'm currently building a new kind of set of armor for my troops and I want them to be equiped with the latest stuff, so waiting is a must.Originally posted by Eagle of Fire Posted @ Jan 19 2005@ 12:41 PM
Another nifty trick is the ability to rename your squaddies. I always rename mine based on their rank and I add, in brackets, their accuracy rating.

So it would go like this: Rookie (59), 2nd Class (57), Captain (67), etc.

Pretty usefull when you want to know if the selected squaddie stands a chance at hitting his target, depending on range... ******QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire Posted @ Feb 2 2005@ 07:58 PM
I always equip 4 stun rods to my squad of 12 squaddies (I always attack with 12 squaddies) just in case get the opportunity to stun an alien once in a while. The 4 squaddies equiped with the stun rods are usually the "crack team" who enter and storm the ship first. This way I always have a nice chance to get a live Alien on every mission, and live Aliens are worth more in points if I remember well.

Once you have stun bombs then I advise you to use them since they are extremely effective on physically weak Aliens and they can be lauched safely from a distance.

Smoke can stun Aliens as well as your squaddies, and here's why: neither does your squaddies or the Aliens have breathing equipment, so if you enter a smoke heavy square the unit will be forced to breath the smoke. Just like smoke can disable someone in a building fire and render him/her uncouncious, a white line will begin to appear and grow higher and higher on the HP bar of the unit each turn. If the white bar manage for a reason or another to go beyong the current HP of the unit then he/she/it will become disabled (or stunned) until the white bar get lower than the HP again.

This is why sometimes you can see your squaddies get stunned by a very weak hit and stand up again one or two turns later if the white bar is near the max HP of the squaddies.

Stunning Aliens works exactly the same with stun rods and stun bombs. When hit, the weapon will bring the white bar up by a certain amount and the unit will be stunned when the white bar go higher than the current HP of said unit. This is also why wounded units are way easier to stun this way.[/quote]

soldier1024
28-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lizard+Feb 28 2005, 08:15 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lizard @ Feb 28 2005, 08:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-soldier1024@Feb 28 2005, 09:05 PM
Hi!

I also played with this awesome game years ago, and installed it last month again. This game is really a hard one, even after so many years :) The first time I could only finish it (an old dos version of the game) by hexaediting* my saved game which resulted extra 400 million dollars. With the help of this, everything went smoother :D

Bye!

Well some of them were already posted here,but a little conclussion
-Yes if someone decrase your funds it is becouse there was an Ufo that you dont detected.They will be also more likely to decrese funding when-You ignore landed Ufos or even worse terror sites
-When you have missions with rating terrible
-If you detect some Ufos but they flee
- :blink: Why can you see the picture of the Ufo during airattacks?Never think about it becouse it is pretty??? :D
-Your bases are often attacked in late phases of game,probobly when it become a thorn ín eyes of aliens or something like that.
-There was a bug in original Ufo that causes that all dificults in Ufo were more or less the same.It was repaired by patch.
And there is surely many that I forgot or even didnt know so correct me if I wrote some bullsh*ts... :max: [/b][/quote]
Ok, i just think many of the forums visitor have the knowledge to share these not so trivial "features" like the same-difficulty problem :(

Well, if i'll have the spare time (maybe summer) i'll make a web-page. But strictly for hungarian users :D

soldier1024
28-02-2005, 08:28 PM
About the ufo picture during aircraft-attack: there are several icons there, normal attack, aggressive attack, etc. And there is a button, which shows me the shape of the ufo. Anything useful can be done here?

xcom freak
28-02-2005, 08:46 PM
the attack formations are useful when u outrange ur opponent with plasma or fusion.U use cautious attack and receive 0 damage.if u are still on the machine guns Recruit more researchers!!! :ok:

The Shape of the UFO helps when u want to land ur troops near it.u know how many doors there are .I didnt find any more uses fot it

Jman4117
28-02-2005, 09:13 PM
The pic lets you know what kind of ship it is beyond small, medium, large, etc. After you get the Hyperwave Decoder, it's pretty pointless since you are then told in the popup what it is.

soldier1024
01-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I dont need hyperwave decoder, because I get the info about their size right after the beginning...

Ufo-1 detected
size: small
speed=xyz etc.

So it seems to me, that it is there just for fun :) Earlyer i thought i can select where to shoot with the interceptor (if i target the left/right side of the ufo, it will likely to crash land and dont damage the elerium-engine)

soldier1024
01-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Ok, i see, beyond the main categories i can figure which shape it actually has. Well, thx :)

spitfirejohn
01-03-2005, 01:05 PM
the hyperwave decoder will also tell you what race of alien is in the ufo. some races are harder to kill than others, so it makes it easier to decide if you want to send men down there after shooting it down.
also on the larger sectoid ships they try to use mind control thingys on your men. if your men arent well trained its best to avoid them for the moment, cos just end up getting killed
later on in the game there are so many ufos that its better to be able to choose which missions you want to do, which soldiers to send etc.

the different styles of attack always seemed pointless to me. though if youre attacking a small ship, you will probably destroy it if you use aggressive style.

Privateer
01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Yup, what spitfirejohn said about the wave decoder. It's very useful to know if the ship you are going against is more or less normal, full of crazy mind-controlling super-race aliens (forgot the name), or those armor badasses that take something like five shots with the laser rifle to kill.

Besides this, it tells you (if I remember correctly) what mission the whip is on. It's very important, at least for me. If I see "infiltration", that's a priority target. So is "terror mission", but somthing like supply ships I can let pass if I have more important things to do. This sure beats downing one supply ship and then losing an important country afterwards.

As far as psy warfare goes. Even while you don't have it, it's fairly easy to avoid too serious consequences from simple sectoids (who only get one MC guy per ship - the leader). What I do is equip everyone with power armor (useful in any case). For weapons I go with laser rifles. They are usually enough to kill most low-level aliens with, but it DOES NOT usually have the punch to pierce your own guys' power armor. So, even if one guy gets MC'ed, he usually can't hurt his buddies. After the battle, you weed out those guys who got MC'ed easily, because you know they are weak in the mind. Oh, and don't bring alien grenades. :) If you do, drop them all the second you realize you are facing MC.

Attack modes matter! If you go distant and have Avalanche missiles equipped, you outrange almost all UFOs' weapons, which means you can take them down with a single Interceptor and not so much as get scratched in the process. Lovely.

Jman4117
01-03-2005, 03:22 PM
And after discovering that psi f0dder, arm them with standard rifles and no grenades. They can't harm your other guys, and serve as bait for most psi attacks so the rest aren't psi attacked.

PrejudiceSucks
01-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the Hyperwave decoder is really, really handy. If you know that there will be something/someone really hard to kill (such as Mutons, the armoured ones) then you should still land at the site, but take off straight away, so that you still get some points for your hard work of landing.

Also remember that in the original X-COM (not TfTD) that the same squad can be redirected in their skyranger.

For example, if you are on your way to attack a 'very small' ship (I don't know why you would) but on the way find a base full of sectoids then you could go to the 'very small' ship, kill the aliens and make sure no-one dies (which could even promote someone) and then on your way back stop off at the enemy base and take it down, hopefully capturing a lot of aliens.

You get loads of points for runs like that.

PrejudiceSucks
01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Lizard+Feb 28 2005, 07:07 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lizard @ Feb 28 2005, 07:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-PrejudiceSucks@Feb 28 2005, 06:42 AM

Work it also in Terror from the Deep?I started to play it again...But I guess I am in bad topic.... :whistle: [/b][/quote]
Yes Lizard it does. Hope that help you in the future, and you are right, this is the wrong topic.

In fact, it even works with Soldiers which are more useful to transfer, because with scientists, they lose their research they were doing for that month.

On the other hand, you do get them for free for another month.

P.S it does not affect items you are making, just research.

X-COM tip for the day - Cautious attacks often do not blow up the target's engines, so you might still gain elerium!

Zach
01-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@May 6 2004, 07:59 PM
I always give my warriors the name of people I know, including myself.

The result is that one of my girlfriends is a Commander, and I am still a Squaddie. :?
ROFL! You said "one of my girlfriends"! LOL!

PLAYAAAA!!!

ImpNemo
01-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Anyone have a problem with tryign to use the med kits, its in their hands as they bleed to death over 4 rounds and no matter how many times I try "Use med kit 10 TU" it doesnt bring up med kit window? :ranting: It kinda helps to be able to heal yourself while your assualting one of their bases.

Havell
01-03-2005, 11:01 PM
I think you need to get another soldier and get them to use the medikit while facing the injured soldier, after all, it's quite hard to carry out first aid on yourself :)

Eagle of Fire
02-03-2005, 12:19 AM
If I rememer well the soldiers in UFO do first aid on themselves. The trick tough is that your soldier need an open wound injury. If you don't have one then you can't "heal" yourself per se. You should get some health back if you heal an open wound but that's it. There is no work around for this.

Wounded soldiers can only recover over time by resting at the base in the medical bay.

Jman4117
02-03-2005, 02:05 AM
You have to have another soldier use it.

ImpNemo
02-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 2 2005, 01:19 AM
If I rememer well the soldiers in UFO do first aid on themselves. The trick tough is that your soldier need an open wound injury. If you don't have one then you can't "heal" yourself per se. You should get some health back if you heal an open wound but that's it. There is no work around for this.

Wounded soldiers can only recover over time by resting at the base in the medical bay.
Bah theyre right I forgot it has to be done to the fataly wounded soilder by another soilder. Kept giving the med kits to my point-men so they could keep themselves from bleeding to death :whistle:

Eagle of Fire
02-03-2005, 02:49 AM
Perhaps I'm mixing up UFO, TFTD and Apocalypse. But one of those games definitly let your squaddies heal themselves. Must be Apocalypse...

_Chris
02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Ahh, i used to play this on the Amiga and then the PS1. It was a cool game, but very frustrating at times. I remember getting to the alien planet, cant remember the name of it though, very hard place anyway.

Eagle of Fire
02-03-2005, 10:40 AM
You are probably refering to Cydonia.

_Chris
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 2 2005, 11:40 AM
You are probably refering to Cydonia.
That would be it, thanks for the reminder.

Guest_Chris
02-03-2005, 12:03 PM
I think most of u know it anyway but for the other guys around....

1 month ago I bought UFO AFTERMATH. It's like Xcom only with better graphics.

You will enjoy it for sure.

hf

Eagle of Fire
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
It must be hidden behind a lot of pages since then but I already gave my oppinion about that game and I would give Aftermath 65% as a review.

Really a bad game.

_Chris
02-03-2005, 01:45 PM
I didn't enjoy Aftermath either. Taking away the option to build your base was a bad move, and the way you did research was poor compared to Enemy Unknown. The graphics where good though.

spitfirejohn
02-03-2005, 10:08 PM
ive never been a fan of med kits. they just use up time units purely from carrying them.
i always found it best to keep many save games of a various mission, so if anyone got killed you could go back and reply a move.

hadnt played the game in ages, then found it on here and became obsessed with it again.

anyway ive completed now. im the MAN!

xcom freak
02-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Mar 2 2005, 01:15 PM
It must be hidden behind a lot of pages since then but I already gave my oppinion about that game and I would give Aftermath 65% as a review.

Really a bad game.
Couldnt agree more .

@spitfirejon NEVER used a med kit,everytime i finished the game the only research i had left was medi-kit.

Sharp
02-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I only use the medi-kit once I have personal armour. If you dont have personal armour or better then there is no point in having a medi-kit because whatever shoots you, you die. It is really rare for a soldier wearing no armour to survive.

Also when you start the game check the bravery of all your soldiers and only give the really good weapons to people with high bravery.

Why you might ask...

People with the lowest bravery are most supcestible to Mind Control, Panic and going Beserk.

So it is definitly not a good idea to give the rocket launcher to the guy with the lowest bravery who then decides to go beserk and kill half my team, including the three sergeants I had, so the survivng half decide to panic. They all get turned into reaper food as I helplessly watch. The only amusement I had was when a floater killed two of his own reapers.

Also whoever says Chyrsalids are easy are completly mad. However tanks rule against Chyrsalids, because they do not turn into evil Zombies and they can survive a hit as well.
The best tactic against a chysalid when you spot one is to get at least 3 people to autofire it or rocket launcher it while simutanelusly throwing at least 3 primed to zero grendades at it.
Sounds like overkill and it is, because the bas***s should die extremly quickly.

Also im sure someone said to ignore the zombies as they hatch into Chrysalids after the Zombie dies. True yes, but ignoring a zombie who they attacks one of your men then leads that man to become a chrysalid-hatching zombie. However Zombies are slower and Cyrsalids are the highest priority to attack.

Also a great tactic to use. If you see civillians about to get zombified then you should stun em real quickly. Chyrsalids only attack unstunned people so then the civs wont turn into zombies. However if they wake up then you have to kill them as they become hostile towards you (and you cant complete the mission unless you kill them). You could alternativly try to stun them again but ive never been in that situation.

Also for loads of people who are having trouble with the Download here try getting one from Home of The Underdog as that seems to work great on my comp, the only problem I get is the occasional crashing before a mission but that is nullified by saving before every mission.

Also I notice that on my download that i got from Abandonia did not contain any save game files. That might have been a big problem to many people for who it doesnt work.

UFO Gold Download (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4966)