PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Settlers Ii Gold Edition

I)ark_TimeSeer
23-08-2005, 09:59 PM
I love the Settlers series by bluebyte, i found the one game I loved, but when I download it, unzip it, when I click on the setup or install icon, it doesn't wanna work.
Should I be doing something? is there something I'm NOT doing? please help

-I)ark_TimeSeer :ph34r:

DeviousDonBarew
24-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Having the same problem with the same game. Do I need DOS BOX? What the world is going on here? Someone help this person, so I can get help too

Eagle of Fire
24-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Per a general rule, you don't need to install the games on Abandonia to make them work. They are already fully installed within the archive.

If you have WinXP, you should use either DOSBox or VDMSound. VDMSound works great with Settlers II, while DOSBox require a good cpu.

If you have trouble with the sound setting, run the install or setup program and select Soundblaster or Compatible before running VDMSound or DOSBox. If you run that program under DOSBox, using autodetect usually works wonder.

duckpatch
24-08-2005, 02:26 AM
I use DosBox to run Settlers2. It is very choppy on my computer but I just speed it up via a shortcut in DosBox.

There is one problem though, it won't run on a high resulation. And I'm pretty sure DB handles the sound automatically..

I)ark_TimeSeer
24-08-2005, 06:01 AM
I just finished reading the entire README.exe of DosBox and finally figured it out.
For all us nincompoops who don't know how to use MSDOS, simply drag the game itself onto DOSBox's icon (shortcut or main, whichever-both work) and the game should automatically run. Though if you have a high powered machine, you might want to twick
the DosConfig because otherwise the sound is all choppy. I also think you can change the resolution and modify it to your tastes.

~Have a Fun Time Playing The Awesome Game you Downloaded From The Awesome Site~~~ABANDONIA~~~ :ok:

I)ark_TimeSeer

I)ark_TimeSeer
24-08-2005, 06:49 AM
LOL! LOL~~!-A-hem...Well as you all might have realized by now, I really an a nincompoop at this. I got the game to work, but now it goes sooooooooooo slow I was
:wall: and then got :tai: so irritated that I wanted to take an :Titan: to my computer but being the :zzzzz: lazy person I am, I decided to post my problem yet again on this thingy. So does anyone know how to make my game go faster?

-P.S: aint Smilies Something?

I)ark_TimeSeer

:band: :guitar:
:party: "Everybody Tha'ts Going To The Party Have A Real Good Time..." :party:

:tnx: :cheers:

Eagle of Fire
26-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Yes, smilies are nice but don't overdo it please.

To increase cycles hit CTRL-F12, to decrease hit CTRL-11.

Originally posted by From the Readme.txt of DOSBox
================
5. Special Keys:
================

ALT-ENTER* * Go full screen and back.
CTRL-F1* * * Start the keymapper.
CTRL-F4* * * Swap mounted disk-image. Update directory cache for all drives!
CTRL-F5* * * Save a screenshot.(png)
CTRL-F6* * * Start/Stop recording sound output to a wave file.
CTRL-ALT-F7* Start/Stop recording of OPL commands.
CTRL-ALT-F8* Start/Stop the recording of raw MIDI commands.
CTRL-F7* * * Decrease frameskip.
CTRL-F8* * * Increase frameskip.
CTRL-F9* * * Kill dosbox.
CTRL-F10* * * Capture/Release the mouse.
CTRL-F11* * * Slow down emulation (Decrease DOSBox Cycles).
CTRL-F12* * * Speed up emulation (Increase DOSBox Cycles).

These are the default keybindings. They can be changed in the keymapper.

Saved/recorded files can be found in current_directory/capture
(can be changed in the configfile).
The directory has to exist prior to starting DOSBox else nothing
gets saved/recorded !

NOTE: Once you increase your DOSBox cycles beyond your computer's maximum
capacity, it will produce the same effect as slowing down the emulation.
This maximum will vary from computer to computer, there is no standard.

BeefontheBone
26-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Don't you mean Ctrl-F12 and Ctrl-F11 ? F7 and F8 are for the frameskip (you might need a little bit of that, but probably not). Also, hasn't this been said before? EDIT: Well, not in this thread, but I'm sure there's at least one other S2 thread.

Eagle of Fire
26-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Erm yes, you are right. I was really tired when I wrote that. I'm going to edit it.