PDA

View Full Version : Fallout: A Post Apocalyptic Rpg

Pages : [1] 2

unclefester
28-08-2004, 02:54 PM
In my opinions fallout is one of the best Rpg. It may not feature spectacular graphics or an original scenario but it's great. It's definitely the less linear and more replayable game I've ever played.

mika
28-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Funny enough, I got this game recently but have not been able to install it. I got the CD but the installer crashes in Win XP. Bummer!

Razor2
28-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Fallout 2 is much better than 1. It's bigger, much more complex and less linear. :ok:

FreeFreddy
28-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Hmm, I became just now big WANT for Fallout...http://forum.giga.de/forum/images/smilies/yummy.gif
Time to get them - I never played them yet... B)

Razor2
28-08-2004, 03:43 PM
I got both of them with a hungarian PC magazine (both are english version), and the 2 was not even the first release, which was bug-ridden.

Tom Henrik
28-08-2004, 03:49 PM
I have to agree to these statements. No-one can play Fallout and not immediately begin to like it.

One thing I absolutely love in the game is to decrease you Intelligence down to the lowest possible rating! It is so fun to watch him talk to that Brahmin (I think that was the name) herder in the first city :lol:

Razor2
28-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah that must be fun... :)

By the way, I know some people who started playing and don't came past the rat killing at the begining when they said its boring.

Unknown Hero
28-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Fallout 2 rules!!!! Did anyone noticed how many different endings there are? Every time you complete some quests, game ends in different way. That's cool! :ok:

unclefester
28-08-2004, 07:46 PM
I never got to finish F2. I thing it is boring compared to F1. Now I am waiting for F3 and a potential upgrade.

Stroggy
28-08-2004, 08:50 PM
The creators of Fallout 3 are also the creators of our latest update today (arena)
... this was just a completely random post :)

unclefester
28-08-2004, 09:59 PM
What's your favourite weapon mine is the enhanced plasma rifle. I love it when i shoot in the eyes and the victim melts!

Petter1979
28-08-2004, 11:41 PM
mika:

I found a way to get the installer for fallout to work in windows xp.

Had same problem when i tried install Fallout again.

Make a shorcut to the installer on the cd, edit the properties for the shortcut, set the compatibility(sp) mode to windows 95, then run the shortcut.

Unknown Hero
29-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by unclefester@Aug 28 2004, 09:46 PM
I never got to finish F2. I thing it is boring compared to F1. Now I am waiting for F3 and a potential upgrade.
No,no,no! :blink: Fallout 2 is ten times larger than Fallout 1. Don't tell me that you didn't even managed to fix the tanker?........and that you didn't see last animation?........ and ending story (which is different regarding on how much quests you completed)? :huh:

cosmogreen32
29-08-2004, 06:52 AM
If you are going to play Fallout 2, better patch it up first. You can find unofficial patches at
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php...egory&cat_id=16 (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=16)

The version 1.05 contains all previous patches, and here's how you install it:

1. Install the game into, let's say C:\Fallout2.
2. Unpack the 1.05 patch into the C:\Fallout2 overwriting everything. You don't have to install 1.02, 1.03 or any other version, it's all in the 1.05 (read the 1.05readme.txt file).
3. If you got the US version run the game as normal. If you got the UK one, unpack the uk.zip into C:\Fallout2 overwriting everything (you will add the kids and the proper .exe file this way).

I hope this is helpful.

FreeFreddy
29-08-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Petter1979@Aug 29 2004, 01:41 AM
mika:

Make a shorcut to the installer on the cd, edit the properties for the shortcut, set the compatibility(sp) mode to windows 95, then run the shortcut.
You don't need to make a shortcut, just right-click on the installer-file in the Windows Explorer and set the compatibility - it will stay that forever then (probably saved somewhere in the Windows-folders).

Chef Boyardee
29-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Oh man, both Fallout and Fallout 2 were classic games although I liked Fallout 2 a little better because it was less linear and there were so many more options. I mean, the shear immensity of the game, there was just so much to do, it was incredible. The atmosphere, the characters, the plot, it was all just so awesome.

Stroggy
29-08-2004, 11:30 AM
thanks to my "FPS-only" brother I haven't played fallout 1 or 2

aiwaman
29-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Unknown Hero@Aug 28 2004, 05:38 PM
Fallout 2 rules!!!! Did anyone noticed how many different endings there are? Every time you complete some quests, game ends in different way. That's cool! :ok:
I remember playing it and I thought that I did everything right but in the ending animation almost all of the citys ended up distroyed by Vault City. Damn, I hate the first citizen. Fallout 1 and 2 are one of the best games ever.

Havell
29-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Are they abandonware, if they are where can I download them, if not, where can I buy them?

FreeFreddy
29-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Even if they are abandonware, I guess both games would be CD-size or even larger, so the download could take forever... <_<

unclefester
29-08-2004, 12:42 PM
The size of the cd of f1 is 620MB

mika
29-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Petter1979@Aug 29 2004, 01:41 AM
mika:

Oh Wow - thanks for the heads-up. I will try asap! :w00t:

The Niles
29-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Fallout as a franchise is abandoned at the moment (interplay went bankrupt after all) but there is a high probability that the lisence will get picked up by someone esle. Don't look for fallout on Abandonia any time soon.

revgb
30-08-2004, 06:36 AM
"Fallout as a franchise is abandoned at the moment (interplay went bankrupt after all) but there is a high probability that the lisence will get picked up by someone esle. Don't look for fallout on Abandonia any time soon. "

It alredy has been picked up by someone and number 3 is alredy in the works

Wasnt this mentioned somewhere else as well?

Stroggy
30-08-2004, 10:50 AM
yeah.
But Picard won't like the news.
so i'll say it in small letters:

Fallout 3 is being made by Bethesda, creators of the TES-games
official statement (http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_071204.htm)

The Niles
30-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Fallout three has been in the works and cancelled more then once. I don't mind Bethesda doing this now. As long as they make it better looking then Morrowind and with more linear story ellements.

I don't hate Bethesda at all. I just made a comment a long time ago that Morrowinds lack of a good storyline made it a chore to play through.

Stroggy
30-08-2004, 11:11 AM
okay.
Well there are rumours of TES 4 engine being much much better than the morrowind engine (I forgot the name of the engine)
The topic of linearity has been discussed to death on the official forums (I believe the official fallout thread #18 is now active)
Bethesda, the fans have been assured, is aware that fallout is very different from the TES games and will thus have a much more linear storyline and deeper characters.

However the game will not be top-down isometric (again, these are jsut early reports, so things may change)

The Niles
30-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Having a more first person perspective in Fallout 3 might be fun. Since guns are a large part of Fallout it would fit the FP perspective in a quasy FPS style.

FreeFreddy
30-08-2004, 11:42 AM
But then it won't be an real RPG anymore like the first two...

Stroggy
30-08-2004, 01:07 PM
it just wouldn't be like the first two
but it would still be an RPG (perhaps a bit like Deus Ex, only with even more RPG-elements)

The Niles
30-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Is anyone paying attention here :lol: ? It would be like Morrowind but hopefully with a deeper story and a few less useless subplots.

FreeFreddy
30-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Well, Gothic 3 will probably be still better. B)

Stroggy
30-08-2004, 06:01 PM
If its ever released.
I'm still waiting for a translation of the Gothic 2 expansion pack.

Morrowind had a deep plot, else there wouldn't be an entire forum dedicated to lore.
The plot just isn't well present, it relies too much on the player reading cryptic books and trying to decifer its meaning.
There are 17 long books in the game just about one player. They are all in a confusing cryptic/religious language.
And then a lot of information you get is conflicting (it was intended that way)
eventually there are a whole lot of unanswered questions.
Like:
-what happened to the 'dwarves?
-was the "evil bad guy" really evil?
-were the good guys really good? (this is partially answered in the expansion pack)
-did you save the world, or just damn one tribe to misery and opression so the rest of the world can continue living their lavish greedy peacefull lives

Havell
30-08-2004, 06:06 PM
I have to say that the amount of background information about the tribes, history and cultures in the game is very daunting, but it is also a good game so you don't need to read every book you come across to enjoy it.

Stroggy
30-08-2004, 06:11 PM
I didn't enjoy the game that much first time i played it.
The second time I played it I really got into the lore and the history of the place and its people.
That really dragged me into the world.
I got interested into some of the people that weren't in the original game (like Barenziah)
So when you finally met her in Tribunal (expansion) it was quite a fun experience.
same thing with King Helseth.

The only expansion pack that didn't add much (if any) lore to the game was Bloodmoon.
But that was just fun because you could help build a colony from scratch (or try and break it)

Tom Henrik
30-08-2004, 07:26 PM
YO GUYS!

Fallout here... :sneaky:

You are waaaay :ot:

Maikel
30-08-2004, 08:11 PM
the fallout universe from a morrowind perspective .....ahhh sounds great :)

I would propably kill most enemies easier in real time, can't count the amount of times I have been butchered by critical hits from mutants with miniguns..bah

Stroggy
30-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Aug 30 2004, 07:26 PM
YO GUYS!

Fallout here... :sneaky:

You are waaaay :ot:
we're talking about fallout 3
since bethesda says they won't deverge much from Morrowind
knowing Morrowind is essential in order to get an estimate of how Fallout 3 will be

The Niles
31-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Too bad Fallout3 is only weeks into development. It will be six months at least until we are given a screenshot or some more information.

FreeFreddy
31-08-2004, 08:15 AM
As usual, we start talking about it already when it's born only. Man, the time goes sometimes slow... http://forum.giga.de/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

revgb
31-08-2004, 08:33 AM
i dunno, if they dont have a top down view i think it might be pretty crappy
+ i liked the time units system...

Maikel
31-08-2004, 08:45 AM
I still think it's a good thing they try something new. Copying the same thing over and over has never been a good thing.

revgb
31-08-2004, 08:57 AM
True but going from top down to fps is a bit extreme

The Niles
31-08-2004, 09:43 AM
IF this is getting a first person perpective then it will still not be a FPS. Especially the shooter part would be absent. Just look at morrowind. That is anything but a shooter. It has the emerging power of actually being able to walk through the world but there are no endless waves of enemies jumping out from every corner. I think that is what they are trying to do with Fallout3 and I am anctious to see some results.

revgb
31-08-2004, 10:27 AM
well im referring not to the gameplay as much as the view that you will see the world thru
ie if u play the game thru the eyes of ur charecter i consider it a 1st person shooter, i didnt mean to imply anything about what kind of action/gameplay just the world view

Stroggy
31-08-2004, 11:17 AM
than all those old RPG games like Eye of the Beholder are FPS games.
and that isn't right at all

FreeFreddy
31-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Eye of the Beholder is dungeon-crawl gamestyle, btw. B)

The Niles
31-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Stroggy@Aug 31 2004, 11:17 AM
than all those old RPG games like Eye of the Beholder are FPS games.
and that isn't right at all
Those old types of RGP's did not let you explore the world freely. You could move foreward left or right on cube. You could not walk through the world to where ever you wanted to go.

DiamondSoul
05-09-2004, 02:30 AM
Hehehe, anyone tried playing with the traits Jinxed and Bloody Mess before? :D
Best game ever.

Unknown Hero
05-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Yeah. But you don't have to spend your perk on Jinxed. If you are lucky in random encounter, you will find a dog that will follow you until someone (or you) kills him. When the dog is still alive, you'll get jinxed until his death!

revgb
05-09-2004, 05:05 AM
the dog that follows u around is dogmeat hes a faithful compainion and he kiks ass.
(at least i tihnk ur talking about dogmeat)

bloody mess was an awsome perk

Stroggy
05-09-2004, 08:00 AM
If fallout 3 will use the same engine as the next elderscrolls game, I would follow the countdown to the opening of the new website of TES4 (or whatever they're going to do) perhaps they'll show some screenshots of what they've got at the moment (way back last year people running the fansites were already invited to check out the new engine...) by now they must have something... perhaps it'll give us an idea of what fallout 3 will look like

so far the countdown is still going on (5 more days)
8 (http://www.elderscrolls.com/splash/index_08.htm)
7 (http://www.elderscrolls.com/splash/index_07.htm)
6 (http://www.elderscrolls.com/splash/index_06.htm)
5 (http://www.elderscrolls.com/splash/index_05.htm)

The Niles
05-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Hope we do get some screenshots. I'm not sure what they could improve drastically on the existing engine except the faces. Other then that some animation things I guess and texturing. The existing game still looks awesome and has a hard time running on anything but the best computers on good detail levels.

unclefester
05-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Aug 31 2004, 11:43 AM
IF this is getting a first person perpective then it will still not be a FPS. Especially the shooter part would be absent. Just look at morrowind. That is anything but a shooter. It has the emerging power of actually being able to walk through the world but there are no endless waves of enemies jumping out from every corner. I think that is what they are trying to do with Fallout3 and I am anctious to see some results.
I think that fallout if wasreal time and had fp perspective would be like a fps. When you entered the military base it was full of mutants. You could throw a grenade and kill three of them.

Stroggy
05-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Sep 5 2004, 12:10 PM
Hope we do get some screenshots. I'm not sure what they could improve drastically on the existing engine except the faces. Other then that some animation things I guess and texturing. The existing game still looks awesome and has a hard time running on anything but the best computers on good detail levels.
are yout alking about the Morrowind engine?
The morrowind engine was, in my opinion, terrible.
I mean it has okay graphics, but I can run Doom 3 on Ultra Settings faster than Morrowind in a crowded area.

The textures (both the people and objects) weren't pretty.
they looked stretched and fake.
I realized this after playing mods that improved face textures and object textures completely. And a new mod that completely changed the models of PC and NPCs (making it smoother and much more realistic)

And CTD's (crashes to desktop) aren't uncommon either while playing morrowind.
Most players are asking a more stable and up-to-date engine.
That doesn't mean Half Life 2 models and things like that (it would be nice) but more like farcry (which also has amazing graphics)
A large drawdistance.

One of the biggest atmosphere issues in morrowind was that you didn't feel like you were on an island with an active vulcano spewing lava.
You'd see fog.
Even on the volcano itself you'd just see dark rocks and some lava once in a while.
Players expected to see morrowind like in arena. Up in the air a gigantic towering volcano spewing lava down its slopes.

I hope Fallout 3 and TES4 use a stable AND pretty engine (well who doesn't?)

The Niles
05-09-2004, 02:39 PM
I think you are being a bit too harshe on Morrowind here. Sure it had some points you can moan about but on the whole it looked (and looks) amazing. It is powerhungry yes but then it does a whole lot more then any FPS. Don't compare Morrowind to a FPS because it is not. It works differently and tries to do different things. People especially work a lot different then in FPS. Each person in Morrowind is a unique individual that is handeled by the computer as being unique. FPS have monsters that are all the same and behave all the same (you might have different monsters but all Helldemons act like oneanother).

Morrowind was buggy as was every Elder Scrolls game before it. The people that are working on the games are not the best in the bussiness but they try to cramm everything they can think of in a single game and this leads to problems. Playing Morrowind led to crashes now and then but it was not unplayable because of it.

As I mentioned in my own post faces, animations and textures were the biggest grippes you could have with the graphics of Morrowind and I hope they improve uppon that in the new engine. Better weather effects are of course welcome (like fog) but it was not something I missed perticularly when playing Morrowind. The existing weather effects are breathtaking (well they were when the game came out).

I too hope that the new engine will improve upon what exists today, What I wanted to say with my orrigional post was that even today the graphics of Morrowind are still top notch and with very little alteration could fit in any game in the genre.

Stroggy
05-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of morrowind.
But I just hope they've learned from their mistakes.
A lot of people (including me) are hoping for a great game (be it fallout 3 or TES4) it would be a terrible shame if they disappointed all the fans.

Well for the time being the big fans are in a TES-nirvana what with all the clues given about the next TES game.
Turns out the Bloodmoon expansion contained far more foreshadowing hints than we expected (the first 3 lines at the top of the countdown pages were from some madman in Bloodmoon)
The title will probably be Oblivion and will be about the death of the emperor and the downfall of the empire (well, perhaps not downfall, just chaos)
The gates of oblivion will open and the deadra will (probably) swarm the land.
There will probably be talk of an heir to the imperial throne.

Some say that because of all the political unrest the game will take place in the Imperial province itself!
while others claim the game will take place in the province of Summurset isles because thats where the gate to oblivion is (don't ask me, thats just what I heard the lore-fanatics say in their geeky voices)
Personally I think it'll be in summurset since that is, like Vvardenfell (gamingworld in Morrowind) surrounded by water and thus an easier choice than a province surrounded by land.

But personally I'm hoping for Cyrodiil (the imperial province) I miss the political intrigue in Daggerfall.

Anyway, i'm way off topic

The Niles
05-09-2004, 05:09 PM
It does sound interresting and no matter where it will be set the game world will be huge and varied like before. We will know more in five days.

alienstookmybeer
08-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I tried replaying Fallout 2 on my XP system and it crashes with a Can't load text/fonts error. Anyone see this and know how to get around it?

BlackMageJawa
18-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Hmm, I've had no troubles with Fallout 1 or Tactics on my XP machine. I wasn't planning to even install 2 until I'd finished the first game, but I could just give it a quick try to see if there are any problems.

Milos
08-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Best rpg EVER, nothing more to say :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Morrin
09-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Hmm.. almost the best. I prefer morrowind more althought Im dead bored to them both (just too much playing). I hope there's crouch and hit the ground ability in fallout 3..

Milos
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Probably not but it would be nice :ok:

Morrin
09-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Milos@Nov 9 2004, 11:30 AM
Probably not but it would be nice :ok:
It would be so cool to lower you stance like in ghost recon games. Then sniping from roof or such. :w00t:

Milos
09-11-2004, 03:55 PM
But how is ghost recon related to fallout 3.
There was a chrouch in fallout tactics(and also a prone)

Milos
09-11-2004, 04:13 PM
I have sent a mail to bethesda about fallout 3 release date and some guy Pete Hines answered

"Yes, we have the rights. We have only just started development and it
will
be a long time before we're talking about the game.

Thanks for your interest."

So it will be a long time before we see anything of fallout 3 :(

IronShemp
10-11-2004, 05:25 AM
I loved Fallout 1 & 2.

One of my favorite things to do was to collect as many drugs as I could, then when I went into combat; I'd run over to my opponent and pump him full of everything I could. When I would end my turn he'd drop dead of an overdose!

LOL

I also used to use things like the extra messy criticals with sharpshooting...then I'd shoot them in the nads & eyes.

This game just brings out such evil in me!
:angel:

Morrin
10-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Milos@Nov 9 2004, 04:55 PM
But how is ghost recon related to fallout 3.
There was a chrouch in fallout tactics(and also a prone)
In fallout 3 I ment. ;)

BTW: Is it ment or meant?

Milos
10-11-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't know my english is not very good.(I speak serbian)

Morrin
11-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Milos@Nov 10 2004, 12:24 PM
I don't know my english is not very good.(I speak serbian)
Wow. People are really from around the world here.

Bankrupt
06-12-2004, 11:33 AM
yes it is a realy cool game it is played it 4 years

Iron_Scarecrow
07-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Gekko@Nov 10 2004, 07:05 AM
BTW: Is it ment or meant?
meant

Yog Sothoth
07-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Just had to add my two cents, as Fallout 1,2 and Tactics are some of my all time favorite games...

I remember makeing a Jet addict / slaver character in Fallout 2, and being hated by everyone when they saw my slaver tattoo...

Anyhow, I've also heard some rumors that Bethesday is considering a massive online Fallout game, which would be sweet if they didn't eff it up....

TaloN
08-12-2004, 04:24 PM
haha becoming a jet addict is hiliarious. go into vault city. pump up (you have to sneak it past the guards) in front of the governor woman, and then talk to her.

Jenny
16-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Fallout was good, very good. Fallout 2 was even better. Both games are definite must haves!

TaloN
17-12-2004, 06:24 PM
anyone played Fallout :Brotherhood of steel , on the xbox? looks pretty good.

ive jsut spent all day working thru fallout2, got nearly to the end in one day :Brain: :Brain:

i just love the flame thrower man,

shoes23
18-12-2004, 04:53 AM
Played Brotherhood of Steel for the Playstation 2...not really what I expected from Interplay on this one...basically Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance in the Fallout universe. Not a bad game to waste a few hours on but the production values of the game fall short of any other product carrying the Fallout franchise name.

TaloN
18-12-2004, 01:17 PM
i might go and buy it then. Just to see.

JJXB
18-12-2004, 03:42 PM
if you wanna see a good fallout community, go to No Mutants Allowed (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum).
be warned though, they aren't sympathetic to newbies if they ask a question answered in one of the stickies there or if its been answered before but you didn't use the search button. basically, read the stickies, think before you post and follow the rules and they won't be that nasty :)

TaloN
18-12-2004, 07:47 PM
i read NMA alot, never bothered reigstering,

shoes23
19-12-2004, 06:02 AM
If you can find Brotherhood of Steel for under $20 go for it if you are a fan of Fallout and don't mind more a dungeon crawl experience. The real-time combat seems to fit right in...coupled with the fact that you can be a horribly disfigured ghoul who regenerates HP while standing in radioactive puddles is another definate plus!

bjbrains2002
19-12-2004, 07:35 PM
I'd recommend fallout tactics to any fan of fallout 1-2. It's got a great storyline and the incredible perk system is just as good as before.

silz
15-02-2007, 03:33 AM
I will be the first to cough out blood if Bethesda makes it like a FPS view like Oblivion. There is no place for that view in an RPG-franchise except their own stupid game of course. How man RPGs you see actually with a crosshair right at the center? Gothic? well they flop! so who bothers. OMG the though of that totally freaks me out.

velik_m
15-02-2007, 06:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremz @ Feb 15 2007, 05:33 AM) 279290</div>
I will be the first to cough out blood if Bethesda makes it like a FPS view like Oblivion. There is no place for that view in an RPG-franchise except their own stupid game of course. How man RPGs you see actually with a crosshair right at the center? Gothic? well they flop! so who bothers. OMG the though of that totally freaks me out.
[/b]

Ultima Underworld, System shock, Arx Fatalis?

Tito
15-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Mmm, you know, this thread was dead for a long time now. Moderators don't like this kind of resurrection...

Anyway, I have Fallout I and II, but I don't seem to be able to run them properly in WinXP. I know there are lots of solutions to this around the net, but rigth now I'm too lazy to try them.

silz
15-02-2007, 04:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(velik_m @ Feb 15 2007, 07:31 AM) 279299</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cremz @ Feb 15 2007, 05:33 AM) 279290
[/b]

Ultima Underworld, System shock, Arx Fatalis?
[/b][/quote]

Yeap, I have never bother about those. The only one I've ever played with this style is Morrowind but that was because my friend pulled me in. I'm glad he did cause I'm the one that will skip any RPG games with an FPS style even if has a 10.0 rating.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Feb 15 2007, 10:04 AM) 279312</div>
Mmm, you know, this thread was dead for a long time now. Moderators don't like this kind of resurrection...

Anyway, I have Fallout I and II, but I don't seem to be able to run them properly in WinXP. I know there are lots of solutions to this around the net, but rigth now I'm too lazy to try them.
[/b]

I am playing Fallout 1 atm, and it works fine with my PC on WinXP. Btw, I'm doing min install thats about 4.5MB I think and running the game on a disc image file. Playing it while waiting for Jade Empire.

Doubler
15-02-2007, 04:39 PM
A bit narrowminded, isn't it?
"This game has X so it has to be horrible."

Moreover it's both unfounded and self-justifying at the same time; There's no room for refutation at all.

silz
16-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Well, in order to get immerse into the storyline, its still need to get a lot of feel. For all I care, if the combats not good I can forget about playing. I have a copy of Arx Fatalis but thats because I get it in a bargain bin (unopened and collecting dust). I just won't pay full retail price to play and I'm currently regretting it with Oblivion.

FYI, in medieval style RPG, there is no such thing as a crosshair to get your aiming right when casting spells or when using a sword for example. Its all about front-facing the mob. Spell penetration and the ability to hit (hit%), dodge, evade that increases as you level and should be the thing that decides whether you hit or not. Its all about gaining experience in battle using what a char is most familiar in. In the end the advantages shows as they level. Crosshair only exist in rocket launchers, SMG, rifle, etc. The way Fallout did against targeted mobs is PERFECT and fits an RPG style, you level, you get better, simple. I would cursed Bethesda for all eternity if targeting a head in Fallout 3 means using the crosshair to target the head.

Oh yeah something additional. In Oblivion, you can have a bow and arrow aimed at a citizens head and only standing an inch away from you (while looking at you)..and you can missed that!

JJXB
17-02-2007, 10:41 AM
just started playing again :P playing with patch 1.32 (TeamX) with the children restored since i have the uk version. one thing i can't find is the movie files. and a little tidbit of useless information: the guy who voices the intro (i.e the "war never changes" lines) is Ron Perlman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Perlman) (same person that played hellboy in the movie)

Sartoris
17-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Man, I love this game....is it just me or do all these new (although rare) attempts at creating a fresh post-apocalyptic game seem to provide much less fun than these great oldies? I mean, I'd take Fallout or Wasteland any day over whatever 3D Bethesda-type oh-my-look-at-me-i'm-all-full-of-shiny-grafics hollow and soulless stuff they keep pumping out.... :angry:

Doubler
17-02-2007, 01:18 PM
cremz, adding a first person view doesn't equal 'crosshair in the middle'. It doesn't even mean combat where character skill falls to the background to player skill.

For me, first person view can add a lot of immersion, making you feel like you are the character, rather then just a result of the character's general awareness and his conscience (The only gripe I'd ever have about the Baldur's Gate series - When saying it's immersive you mean it's a gripping story that grabs a hold of you, that is believable and consistant, however it's never something beyond that, it never draws you in. For that matter, it's like a book, I love books, but I don't really play games for the exact same experience, now do I?). It's you walking through the world, not him and you hitchhiking along, shouting orders into his ear.

Oh yeah something additional. In Oblivion, you can have a bow and arrow aimed at a citizens head and only standing an inch away from you (while looking at you)..and you can missed that![/b]How odd... That's because it functions largely like you described. A (manual) head shot wouldn't fit in there.
Same for Morrowind, when you stand next to the guy, but are inexperienced, you're still likely to miss. Because it works exactly like you said you want it to. Maybe your having trouble with it breaking immersion when the game is in first person, which I could understand, but that's something you wouldn't even have otherwise. It seems a bit protective.

Sartoris, it's sad that Oblivion-like is thought of as Bethesda-type. They can do a lot better, if only they would. And I do want to hope they will again (although their recent games push doesn't seem to indicate it).

silz
18-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Ok putting it in a real life scenario. I am a noobie at archery but as long as I know how to use a bow and arrow, I'll never miss the bull's eye given a distance of a few inch if I have a skill of one. It will be entirely a different story alltogether if you expect me to hit the bull's eye 300 yards away. That's when we need to have a high skill. But that person in Oblivion was at a really close distance, looking at you and obviously not in battle mode so how could you miss it as he doesn't tries to interrupts you? Oblivion is also a game that has sewerage system up to 3 storeys high for stormwater drainage? Well, it looks dirty enough with rats and all for us to think that human waste did pass through it but there are no toilets/kitchen sink to be found in the game.

Doubler
18-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Oh please, don't start about that. Look at other RPG's in a like setting and environment and expand your criticism. Such elements do not have a viable worth to cost in almost any scenario.

And again, hits and misses are determined by stats in one game and there are no headshots for huge damage (In Oblivion or any other RPG since the damage done is about stats, not as much player skill), and they decided not to have people walk about with arrows stick out of their forehead. So they move the arrows down.
So by trying to comply to your system they do it wrong. In fact, pretty much any other RPG should suffer the same fate (I've never played one, FPS or otherwise, where firing an arrow standing next to the other guy results in an insta kill - Hell, where swinging a sword and getting a good hit results in an insta-kill against any opponent, or myself).

Looking at you, you should probably play a good FPS rather then an RPG. In those games it's about player skill, hitting where it hurts and, in some, realistic enough that a bullet kills you (like a sword would do). Toilets and sinks are also favourites in those games, you'd like them :P

liamoneal13
20-02-2007, 09:32 AM
To everyone. Download and learn how to use the Windows Compatibility tool from Microsoft. I have been able to use it to run virtually every game I've come across (even some DOS games) under XP.

JJXB
20-02-2007, 11:40 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liamoneal13 @ Feb 20 2007, 11:32 AM) 280117</div>
To everyone. Download and learn how to use the Windows Compatibility tool from Microsoft. I have been able to use it to run virtually every game I've come across (even some DOS games) under XP.
[/b]
isn't that installed as standard for xp? you needed to register a dll under W2K to get compatabilty mode though.

silz
21-02-2007, 07:54 AM
I run it with Windows 95 compatibility mode and the hard disk error was gone. Ahhh our HDD is so big these days that they can't comprehend how much is it needed. Ahh those were the old days. I still have my riva TNT2 N64 video card. Maybe I should play fallout with it and kick out the old days in full gear. I guess it would helps prevent the blacken screen once in a while but I'm not complaining.

silz
21-02-2007, 08:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Feb 18 2007, 12:17 PM) 279837</div>
Oh please, don't start about that. Look at other RPG's in a like setting and environment and expand your criticism. Such elements do not have a viable worth to cost in almost any scenario.

And again, hits and misses are determined by stats in one game and there are no headshots for huge damage (In Oblivion or any other RPG since the damage done is about stats, not as much player skill), and they decided not to have people walk about with arrows stick out of their forehead. So they move the arrows down.
So by trying to comply to your system they do it wrong. In fact, pretty much any other RPG should suffer the same fate (I've never played one, FPS or otherwise, where firing an arrow standing next to the other guy results in an insta kill - Hell, where swinging a sword and getting a good hit results in an insta-kill against any opponent, or myself).

Looking at you, you should probably play a good FPS rather then an RPG. In those games it's about player skill, hitting where it hurts and, in some, realistic enough that a bullet kills you (like a sword would do). Toilets and sinks are also favourites in those games, you'd like them :P
[/b]

Yeah I guess you are right. It does makes the RPG stats into play. I used to like BEthesda after playing Morrowind (only game). I would chill out in their forums and offer aids to new players. I was quite ok when they announce they will be making Fallout 3. But after Oblivion, my whole opinion changes. I admit its a pretty huge turnaround and I'm stressing up myself right now which is not good. Its not like I'm not stress enough already from work. It would be wisest imo that I just shutup until Bethesda starts to release info about the game to game mags.

_r.u.s.s.
23-02-2007, 02:52 PM
somebody mentioned fallout in 1st person. there actually is modification for hl , now i dont know if it has story line or its just a multiplayer, but i played old version like half year ago and it was multiplayer only. but it was fun=) (i played the hl1 version, not source). it doesnt have to do anything wtih original story line/ characters but models weapons and stuff like bleedig or alternative firemodes are based fallout..and post apocaliptic maps of course.
http://thewastes.planethalflife.gamespy.co...e/exec/news.php (http://thewastes.planethalflife.gamespy.com/site/exec/news.php)

Efraihm
26-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Fallout1 & 2 was really great games and still are. The cartrunk bug in FO2 was annoying though..
FO3 is probably the most awaited rpg ever, btw is it true that Interplay is planning a Fallout MMORPG?

mirrorshades
02-03-2007, 01:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Efraihm @ Feb 26 2007, 12:21 PM) 281075</div>is it true that Interplay is planning a Fallout MMORPG?
[/b]
Yup:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16345

http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFramese...2F2006&pdf= (http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFrameset.asp?FileName=0001170918%2D06%2D0010 92%2Etxt&FilePath=%5C2006%5C11%5C30%5C&CoName=INTERPLAY+ENTERTAINMENT+CORP&FormType=8%2DK&RcvdDate=11%2F30%2F2006&pdf=)

_r.u.s.s.
02-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Interplay[/b]
wernt they like..dead?o_O
i dont think that "herve caen" can gather up same team from old interplay, working on the game -> the fallout just wont be fallout.
edit: oh wops sorry, hadnt finished article..i didnt know scamers can go this far..

Cosmonaut_Roger
03-03-2007, 02:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Mar 2 2007, 04:41 PM) 281639</div>
Interplay[/b]
i dont think that "herve caen" can gather up same team from old interplay, working on the game -> the fallout just wont be fallout.
edit: oh wops sorry, hadnt finished article..i didnt know scamers can go this far..
[/b]

Interplay is still technically a company aren't they? I don't think this is a scam, this guy really believes that he will get that funding and create this MMO and make it profitable and save Interplay, or something. Interplay is such a sad story, they published some of my all time favorite games. I used to equate the Interplay logo as being synonomous with a quality game. In fact, there were a few times that I bought a game soley on the fact that the Interplay Logo was on the cover. Games like Descent, Freespace, Die by the Sword, Hardwar, Planescape Torment, M.A.X., Wasteland, Sacrifice, The Star Trek games, BattleChess, The Lost Vikings, etc. These were great games by a then great company. But I think they really started to lose it after Descent to Undermountain. God that game was crap, and that the first game that really shook my faith in that company. Then there was Kingpin, which didn't help either.

In any case, I used to have hope that could someone emerge from their financial disasters but I doubt it now. Especially with garbage like this SEC filing, which is a joke.

Hadiel
03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
*Queue dramatic tune* Interplay shall overcome their great troubles and the brotherhood of steel shall finally gain a new chapter in the book elders <- book which tells the story in Fallout : BOS / Fallout tactics. */dramatic tune*

And now for an opinion that does matter, I strongly believe that bethesda will mess up the essence of fallout because they don't have the expertise to specialize in post-apocalyptic RPG's. Interplay however, did a fantastic job but yes they have been "dead" for a while... which leads me to believe that only one real option is left... Black isle studios. They were responsible for most of the numerous extra functions in fallout 2 & BOS so to me it is most likely the best candidate to "revive" the fallout universe.

I don't judge bethesda as bad / unqualified, it's just that i feel the "old ones" would do a better job... Anyhow i really hope that interplay gets up and running again, they did some magnificent things in the past and i believe they can do it again (lands of lore 4 anyone ?)

_r.u.s.s.
06-03-2007, 10:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cosmonaut_Roger @ Mar 3 2007, 04:53 PM) 281740</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Mar 2 2007, 04:41 PM) 281639
Interplay[/b]
[/b]

Interplay is still technically a company aren't they? I don't think this is a scam, this guy really believes that he will get that funding and create this MMO and make it profitable and save Interplay, or something. Interplay is such a sad story, they published some of my all time favorite games. I used to equate the Interplay logo as being synonomous with a quality game. In fact, there were a few times that I bought a game soley on the fact that the Interplay Logo was on the cover. Games like Descent, Freespace, Die by the Sword, Hardwar, Planescape Torment, M.A.X., Wasteland, Sacrifice, The Star Trek games, BattleChess, The Lost Vikings, etc. These were great games by a then great company. But I think they really started to lose it after Descent to Undermountain. God that game was crap, and that the first game that really shook my faith in that company. Then there was Kingpin, which didn't help either.

In any case, I used to have hope that could someone emerge from their financial disasters but I doubt it now. Especially with garbage like this SEC filing, which is a joke.
[/b][/quote]

..just read the "petition" or whatever.. parts like
DUE TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF A POST NUCLEAR APOCALYPTIC WORLD RESULTING FROM THE COLD WAR (1945-1990), ALL CONSUMERS 20 AND OLDER WILL HAVE SOME TIES TO FALLOUT AND WILL BE INTRIGUED TO FIND OUT IN THIS VIRTUAL WORLD: "AND WHAT IF THE NUCLEAR WAR REALLY HAD HAPPENED?" [/b]
um, fine lets say advertisment..or
REACH 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS DURING THE FIRST YEAR

- PROFITABLE YEAR 2

- REVENUE OF 160M$ PER YEAR AFTER FIRST

- NET INCOME OF OVER 50M$ PER YEAR STARTING YEAR 3[/b]
yeah, thats indeed very speculative and quite complex plan.

well ok, maybe not scam. ok, maybe he realy realy means it. And maybe his leading skills are better than his..english. and maybe he ll seriously get $75,000,000 out of nowhere. from his "sponsors". but he wont get any support, cause it was him who ruined the interplay, one of best companies ever. he wont get any support from fans. they hate him actually. and honestly, after what has he done to interplay i wouldnt sign it niether.

gufu1992
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
You people seem to know nothing of Fallout!

That dog which follows you in UNLUCKY Special Encounter name is a Pariah!
The Dogmeat is only in Junktown(F1) and Maltian Falkon(F2)
No - the Brahmin Herders's NAME WAS Torr!

Also:To H*** with FPS - I want my third Person Turn Base right here!
And no Brotherhood of Steel games S*** :titan:

_r.u.s.s.
07-03-2007, 01:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gufu1992 @ Mar 7 2007, 02:08 AM) 282207</div>
Also:To H*** with FPS - I want my third Person Turn Base right here!
And no Brotherhood of Steel games S*** :titan:
[/b]
agreed..

STFM
08-03-2007, 03:12 AM
agreed twice. I want Fallout 3 - full of third person, isometric, hex based, turn based, lotsa guns, skills, video cutscenes, big maps, less bugs, junkie ghoul mutant killing flappy armed running goodness!!!! Not some first person 3d morrowind ripoff.

silz
08-03-2007, 02:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Mar 8 2007, 04:12 AM) 282425</div>
agreed twice. I want Fallout 3 - full of third person, isometric, hex based, turn based, lotsa guns, skills, video cutscenes, big maps, less bugs, junkie ghoul mutant killing flappy armed running goodness!!!! Not some first person 3d morrowind ripoff.
[/b]

Damn right, you are. But I don't know about the Bethshiita folks man. I just hope they will offer 2 view options, isometric (or 3D isometric) for the old fans and FPS for their Oblivion fans. I am sure it will be 3D...maybe a 3D bird's eye isometric view with the likes of Dungeon Siege. Lets hope and pray.

12turtle12
11-03-2007, 02:47 PM
BTW, Fallout is no longer done by Black Isle Entertainment, the wonderful company that brought F1 and F2. Fallout Tactics is technically a prequel to 1 and 2, and although it is a great game, me and my friends could never get the multiplayer to work correctly. Reaaaally bad design on the multi. But the single player game is worth playing if you can get ahold of it. F1 was quick, easy, and immediately immersive. F2 however, yes, the temple in the beginning with the rats, was boring. And I died a few times the first time I played, but it's a great game. The only problem is, the game is so long, to get the different endings you have to put MONTHS into it, and without a guide, I don't see how anyone could know how to get the endings. (Thanks to Al Gore's modern wonder, the internet, gaming is way easier to do!!! Go Al you sexy bearded wonder!)
Anyway, I have a friend who has all 3. I just don't know how to transfer CD files to program files on my comp.....Plus, no crack.

JJXB
11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Mar 11 2007, 04:47 PM) 282977</div>
BTW, Fallout is no longer done by Black Isle Entertainment, the wonderful company that brought F1 and F2. Fallout Tactics is technically a prequel to 1 and 2, and although it is a great game, me and my friends could never get the multiplayer to work correctly. Reaaaally bad design on the multi. But the single player game is worth playing if you can get ahold of it. F1 was quick, easy, and immediately immersive. F2 however, yes, the temple in the beginning with the rats, was boring. And I died a few times the first time I played, but it's a great game. The only problem is, the game is so long, to get the different endings you have to put MONTHS into it, and without a guide, I don't see how anyone could know how to get the endings. (Thanks to Al Gore's modern wonder, the internet, gaming is way easier to do!!! Go Al you sexy bearded wonder!)
Anyway, I have a friend who has all 3. I just don't know how to transfer CD files to program files on my comp.....Plus, no crack.
[/b]
BIS don't exist at all since interplay bought them at one point then disbanded them at a later date :ranting:.
and FT was ok as a game but i don't think it quite fits with the fallout series. and as for wanting to copy them, use a cd imaging program. that's all i'll say on the cd imaging stuff since abandonia doesn't like piracy (i know your not asking for the games from here but i still want to be on the safe side).

RyuRanX
11-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Fallout 3 will be a total desaster. They will do a game for everyone, not a game for RPG players just like what happened to Oblivion....

Doubler
12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
It's too early to say that :rolleyes:
Really, you don't have to be positive, just don't be prejudiced like that. Prejudices prevent actual founded judgements :)

STFM
13-03-2007, 01:04 AM
What about some of the other post apocolyptic games that were is production?

You reckon well see anything come of the FIFE (http://www.fifengine.de/) engine?

mirrorshades
13-03-2007, 03:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Mar 12 2007, 10:04 PM) 283321</div>What about some of the other post apocolyptic games that were is production?[/b]
Well, for starters -- here is a HalfLife 2 mod that shows Vault 15. Kind of cool, especially if you remember the layout in the isometric view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7q71jAAakE

JJXB
13-03-2007, 08:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mirrorshades @ Mar 13 2007, 05:26 AM) 283328</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STFM @ Mar 12 2007, 10:04 PM) 283321What about some of the other post apocolyptic games that were is production?[/b]
Well, for starters -- here is a HalfLife 2 mod that shows Vault 15. Kind of cool, especially if you remember the layout in the isometric view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7q71jAAakE
[/b][/quote]
from what i can remember, that's kinda eerie how close he got it.

Doctadeth
15-03-2007, 01:34 AM
What can I say about my addiction to fallout, other than look on my hard drive.
Fallout 1, 2 and FOT.

Fallout tactic's i'd rate about a 7 or 8. It's actually based after number 1, because in one of the special encounters (brother's grimm) the supermutant says *maybe the master was WRONG* *id better check out this new brotherhood* hmmmm, clearly shows that it's after fallout 1. Fallout tactics is a lot more like syndicate, rather than a conventional RPG. (pretoria real-time mode)

Fallout 2 I absolutely adore, with all it's plots, subplots, and backstabbing. I love finding all the encounters there. There is one bug that annoys me though, when I get the jet antidote, I can't get it crossed off my quest list. Ack. Oh, and finding the water chip event hee hee, vault city (which vault number was that) was funny as well.

Fallout 1 would be a 6 out of ten, just because it has a time limit. The story and all are good, but that time limit is just so restrictive.

otherwise, 8 of of ten.

STFM
15-03-2007, 04:06 AM
They just nailed it in terms of graphic style, the post apocalypic 50's pulp theme, the sound effects, playability, story, humour, animation, character development, level design - love it!

TheChosen
15-03-2007, 11:03 AM
What Im really scared is that theyre going to simplify the game to make it more appealing for console gamers, because its highly possible that F3 will be seen on X-Box's and stuff like that.

That Half-life 2 mod looked pretty cool. The 3D enviroment could work, but no simplifying!

silz
17-03-2007, 03:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Mar 11 2007, 03:47 PM) 282977</div>
[/b]

Fallout 2 was really long. Maybe because of the complain that fallout 1 was a short game back then. There are definitely so many things you can do in a town than just the normal 2-3 stuff.

silz
17-03-2007, 03:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Mar 15 2007, 12:03 PM) 283679</div>
What Im really scared is that theyre going to simplify the game to make it more appealing for console gamers, because its highly possible that F3 will be seen on X-Box's and stuff like that.

That Half-life 2 mod looked pretty cool. The 3D enviroment could work, but no simplifying!
[/b]

Hell, they may even release the PC version and the 360 version at the same time.

STFM
22-03-2007, 05:10 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Mar 15 2007, 11:03 PM) 283679</div>
[/b]

Well since the lines between console and PC are progressively getting blurrier I dont think they will "simplify" the game. If it does take a FPS path then it will inheritly aquire the "simpler" game control mechanics of FPS's anyway - like issuing "verbal" commands to NPC's instead of controlling them directly.

Doubler
22-03-2007, 11:09 AM
just because it has a time limit[/b]Wait, you never actually get rid of that time limit? :tai:

zaphod_x86
22-03-2007, 11:34 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Mar 22 2007, 01:09 PM) 284541</div>Wait, you never actually get rid of that time limit? :tai:
[/b]

Nope. :(

Doubler
22-03-2007, 12:48 PM
From wikipedia:
In version 1.1 of the game, the time limit for [...] is eliminated, allowing players to explore the game world at their leisure.[/b]Is that correct?

silz
22-03-2007, 02:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Mar 22 2007, 01:48 PM) 284551</div>
From wikipedia:
In version 1.1 of the game, the time limit for [...] is eliminated, allowing players to explore the game world at their leisure.[/b]Is that correct?
[/b]

Yeah.

Doubler
22-03-2007, 03:30 PM
*Sigh of relief*
Now just to find that dreaded waterchip :P

Hadiel
24-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Just out of sheer interest...

Who (besides me) has played all three titles (eg. Fallout 1 & 2, fallout tactics) and completed them at sucha a point that they can recite anything encountered in the game? (eg. pwned the above games beyond recognition)

Puggy123
20-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Lets all wait for Fallout 3 and hope Bethesda doesn't screw up.

_r.u.s.s.
20-04-2007, 12:37 PM
its always better when you dont hope for anything, so you wont feel disappointed :P

Doubler
22-04-2007, 10:45 PM
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/
The forums aren't much to look at, though. It's attracted the most cynical, the worst of the worst and the first few days saw little in the way of constructive discussion. Soon enough the Bethesda fanboys began a large scale counteroffensive, leading to a very unpleasant and depressing atmosphere.
Things are getting a bit better now, though.

Fallout 3: A post-apocalyptic RPG set in the Bethesda forums :P

Puggy123
24-04-2007, 04:25 AM
"prepare for the future"

Well, I exepected a forum and some pics.

Doubler
24-04-2007, 11:07 AM
There is a forum :P
No pics... There's no reason to suppose there's much to generate pics in the first place.

Puggy123
26-04-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm a Fallout Addict.

The Fifth Horseman
26-04-2007, 01:20 PM
It shows. Trust me on that.
But have you ever considered that some of the posts you recently made might be offensive or irritating to the other users?

Puggy123
26-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Like what posts?

BTW, I'm slowly being absorbed by the Pug Revolution!

The Fifth Horseman
26-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Numerous things, from bothering people with entirely out-of-place Fallout references (post #288494, for example) to circumventing the wordfilter (it's there for a reason) to trying to dictate what the moderators are supposed to do.
A large portion of your posts are hardly more than borderline spam.

All I ask for is that you try to be more considerate of what (and where) you are posting.

_r.u.s.s.
26-04-2007, 03:52 PM
huh fifth? :huh:
will you blame somebody for being a fan of game? its his attitude.
i feel like in socialism

The Fifth Horseman
26-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Being (or not being) a fan of it is not a factor.
Even if flavored, the spam will always remain spam.

_r.u.s.s.
26-04-2007, 04:30 PM
would it make you feel better if he said "to hell with all the bots! somebody should destroy them"?
now.. he tried to make a joke, you didnt like it and say that it bothers you? oh boy, how many things you write bothers another members

Puggy123
27-04-2007, 05:16 AM
OK, I'm sorry and I'm not addicted to Fallout anymore and I've been a soldier of the Pug Revolution!

JJXB
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
umm... look at what i've just heard about:
Van Buren tech demo guide (http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=35862) (with download link for the van buren tech demo :))
i'm downloading it at the sec, i'll get back to you when i've had a chance to try what could have been if interplay weren't idiots.

gufu1992
05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Mech... it's not worth it...

_r.u.s.s.
05-05-2007, 06:16 PM
you need to have in mind that its pre-alpha. i have tried it and i think it would be seriously good game

Edge
15-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I read that Fallout 3 is gonna be an MMORPG. Bethesda does a great job with games, but its never a good thing to have an epic game handed to a new company. They always screw em up.

Doubler
17-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Fallout 3 isn't going to be an MMORPG, that's the only thing we can be certain of.

That, because Interplay's working on a Fallout MMORPG. Luckily, it'll probably never see the light of day.

JJXB
17-05-2007, 11:27 PM
i thought interplay went bankrupt.

The Fifth Horseman
18-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes and no.

Doubler
18-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Interplay's nothing but a name anymore. But when they sold the Fallout IP to Bethesda they retained the licence for a Fallout MMO they were planning.
It's pretty safe to assume it will never be done/get started, though. The company loses it's licence should some criteria not be met. And unless they win a couple of lotteries they probably won't even get the necessary capital together.
When that's over, the company might finally rest in peace, and what is actually an impressive legacy might not be marred further.

Sathanas
24-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Just completed Fallout 1 & 2, they proved to be just as fun as I remembered them to be :3

Edge
25-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't get what the fuss is about MMO's anyway, they're boring as hell after you play em for a week, only those stuck-up nerds (i am a nerd myself, but you know the kind of nerd i'm talking about, the kind even other nerds hate) and freaks hang around any longer, because they get some sense of superiority out of it.

A fallout MMO would fail, which is sad, because i know Interplay could at least bring a story to the game, unlike WoW or any others, a story is what makes a game for me, not just eye candy and a big name. Fallout should forever remain a single player game. with that said, an Oblivion/Morrowind style Fallout game would be so epic i could cry. Also, it would be rated 18+ in my country, haha.

But i tend to think that they will stick with the same old format. Which is probably for the best, not everybody likes change, even after so many years.

12turtle12
28-05-2007, 02:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Mar 6 2007, 11:16 AM) 282119</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cosmonaut_Roger @ Mar 3 2007, 04:53 PM) 281740
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Mar 2 2007, 04:41 PM) 281639
Interplay[/b]
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

..just read the "petition" or whatever.. parts like
DUE TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF A POST NUCLEAR APOCALYPTIC WORLD RESULTING FROM THE COLD WAR (1945-1990), ALL CONSUMERS 20 AND OLDER WILL HAVE SOME TIES TO FALLOUT AND WILL BE INTRIGUED TO FIND OUT IN THIS VIRTUAL WORLD: "AND WHAT IF THE NUCLEAR WAR REALLY HAD HAPPENED?" [/b]
um, fine lets say advertisment..or
REACH 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS DURING THE FIRST YEAR

- PROFITABLE YEAR 2

- REVENUE OF 160M$ PER YEAR AFTER FIRST

- NET INCOME OF OVER 50M$ PER YEAR STARTING YEAR 3[/b]
yeah, thats indeed very speculative and quite complex plan.

well ok, maybe not scam. ok, maybe he realy realy means it. And maybe his leading skills are better than his..english. and maybe he ll seriously get $75,000,000 out of nowhere. from his "sponsors". but he wont get any support, cause it was him who ruined the interplay, one of best companies ever. he wont get any support from fans. they hate him actually. and honestly, after what has he done to interplay i wouldnt sign it niether.
[/b][/quote]

Not knowing much about what's going or has gone on with Interplay, could someone fill me in, or at least PM me with directions to find out the whole story for myself? How this guy ruined it, good games, crappy games, etc.???

12turtle12
28-05-2007, 02:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edge @ May 25 2007, 03:45 PM) 291351</div>
I don't get what the fuss is about MMO's anyway, they're boring as hell after you play em for a week, only those stuck-up nerds (i am a nerd myself, but you know the kind of nerd i'm talking about, the kind even other nerds hate) and freaks hang around any longer, because they get some sense of superiority out of it.

A fallout MMO would fail, which is sad, because i know Interplay could at least bring a story to the game, unlike WoW or any others, a story is what makes a game for me, not just eye candy and a big name. Fallout should forever remain a single player game. with that said, an Oblivion/Morrowind style Fallout game would be so epic i could cry. Also, it would be rated 18+ in my country, haha.

But i tend to think that they will stick with the same old format. Which is probably for the best, not everybody likes change, even after so many years.
[/b]

BTW - Sorry if I bring up anything from later posts, I'm catching up to this thread.

I'm not sold to the fact that a MMO game for Fallout would be a bad thing, but it would be tricky given Fallout's system of leveling, and the freedom it gives you to kill whatever the crap you want at any time. Fallout Tactics would have been a great multiplayer game, I think, but the designers never seemed to get it to work right. Like I posted before somewhere else, my friends and I had a terrible time trying to link up. We could only LAN game it, and that sucked, because I hate packing my comp and taking it anywhere.

silz
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Three more days for the teaser and I hope I'm in for a shock.

Tulac
02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Hope the shock won't be First Person Perspective. :P

Blood-Pigggy
02-06-2007, 05:20 PM
If it is, I won't say anything, but the whining will be one of the most incredible levels of bitching that will ever have been seen in the world.

Doubler
03-06-2007, 12:59 AM
I shiver to think about it :ph34r:

gufu1992
03-06-2007, 04:50 AM
The horror!

Blood-Pigggy
04-06-2007, 04:18 PM
How many days now? Tomorrow?

Doubler
04-06-2007, 09:02 PM
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/ ;)

Tulac
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
It says 00 days but I don't see any teaser. :(

Doubler
04-06-2007, 10:56 PM
A - The countdown is timezone specific.
B - The trailer will probably not be uploaded at 00:00 exactly :P

So the answer is: Very Soon™

Tulac
04-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Damn it's probably US timezone meaning 6am for me, it'll be there when I awake hopefully.

Blood-Pigggy
04-06-2007, 11:44 PM
No, it's sexy timezone, which means in 3432 years the teaser will appear.

gufu1992
05-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Still 01 for me... come on!

Tulac
05-06-2007, 09:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jun 5 2007, 12:44 AM) 292952</div>
No, it's sexy timezone, which means in 3432 years the teaser will appear.
[/b]
Seems like that, yes. :D

_r.u.s.s.
05-06-2007, 11:33 AM
maybe they meant the music? :unsure:

Tulac
05-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Nope music was there during the countdown. :P

silz
05-06-2007, 03:14 PM
We can expect to see some gameplay. Or maybe a demo! OK I am expecting way too much.

Doubler
05-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Get it while it's hot!
Actually, you might want to wait for a while. My connections timed out after a minute, so all I got was an ESRB notice and some static :P

Blood-Pigggy
05-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Rofl, "Internal Server Error 500"

JJXB
05-06-2007, 04:46 PM
it's on YT now. no gameplay footage though :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSdbSNckTQ

Doubler
05-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Well, overall impression are good (cynics lose again).
But was this worth a timer? :huh:

Blood-Pigggy
05-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Yay that was interesting enough.

JJXB
05-06-2007, 05:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Jun 5 2007, 04:54 PM) 293053</div>
Well, overall impression are good (cynics lose again).
But was this worth a timer? :huh:
[/b]
not in my eyes. i'm waiting until something more concrete surfaces before i judge how good/bad bethesda are doing

Doubler
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Well, getting the atmosphere and feeling right is the first thing. It does count for something. Now for the rest.

Tulac
05-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Well one must know that Bethesda are hype masters, remember oblivion? They've got good PR that's for sure.

Blood-Pigggy
05-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I think it more has to do with the fact that the TES series wasn't really a best seller until Morrowind came out. That's the first TES title that they *****d out to consoles.

gufu1992
07-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Finaly - i can watch the thing without slowdowns!

12turtle12
08-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Can anyone tell me where a good all-around site would be for finding out what happened to Interplay and the old CEO????????????

gufu1992
08-06-2007, 03:03 AM
wikipedia?

TheChosen
08-06-2007, 06:29 AM
Well well well well....Im not really worried about Bethesda. They do know how to make RPG's, but what Im really worried about is their style.

I havent yet played Oblivion, but possibly Bethesda will remove all the sexual-things, foul language and gory effects.

But then again, thats when the modders come to rescue.

Doubler
08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
The current Fallout site as well as all relevant dev quotes indicate otherwise.
The greater style-worry is about the gameplay itself :P

Blood-Pigggy
12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm playing the Van Buren tech demo and it's GAAAAAAY!
Has anyone else touched this mess yet?

gufu1992
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jun 12 2007, 10:18 PM) 294127</div>
I'm playing the Van Buren tech demo and it's GAAAAAAY!
Has anyone else touched this mess yet?
[/b]

Blood-Pigggy
12-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Way to make a statement there, OF NOTHING.

gufu1992
13-06-2007, 01:57 AM
The thing was only to see if the engine actually worked - the didn't care about it being buggy or anything like that!

_r.u.s.s.
13-06-2007, 09:42 AM
piggy, the engine was cool, if it were made in this way fallout 3 would be perfect

TheChosen
13-06-2007, 09:55 AM
The engine is not important. I wouldnt care if Fallout 3 would use ASCII graphics, quality of the gameplay is all that matters to me.

_r.u.s.s.
13-06-2007, 10:36 AM
the engine does make a huge part on gameplay, believe me

Doubler
13-06-2007, 01:41 PM
It can decide a huge part of gameplay. Gamebryo has been used in Oblivion, but in CivIV as well :P

And Van Buren, it's unfinished. End. Never got to optimizing the build.

_r.u.s.s.
13-06-2007, 01:45 PM
ok, and now imagine if it Also used crappy engine.. =P
it would be so unplayable

Blood-Pigggy
13-06-2007, 04:25 PM
It's ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.
It's like trying to play a dead BODDDYYYY.

Doubler
13-06-2007, 07:58 PM
*gives up*

Sooo... Anyone here with acces to Game Informer?

Blood-Pigggy
13-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, and no, I haven't gotten the July issue yet.
Also, the Van Buren tech demo is terrible.

Doubler
13-06-2007, 08:04 PM
In a week or so, right? Here's hoping for some good news.

Blood-Pigggy
13-06-2007, 08:07 PM
From what I've read there's no indication of screens or gameplay shots, knowing Game Informer, it's probably going to be a bunch of pictures from the trailer, some interview with a developer that reveals nothing, and a bunch of really vague information that takes up three or four pages, and most of it will be only paragraphs long because the pictures will take up 2/3s of the article.

So yeah.

Tulac
15-06-2007, 07:17 PM
New info:

This is where most of your worries or doubts come to an end.

Everything said here is logical and stable.

Seems some people got their magazine and shared them with us.

Here they are:

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version was bad.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

Ovo je svima na sluzbenom forumu dosta nejasno,nespretno je napisano,tako da sami izvlačite zaključke kako će to točno borba bit izvedena,dok developeri sami ne objasne.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.
- Level cap is 20.

- Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.
- There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game.
I confirm the above mentioned specifications.
They are all based upon the interview among GameInformer Magazine[/b]

gufu1992
15-06-2007, 08:41 PM
so... we'll see if it won't become crap...

Blood-Pigggy
15-06-2007, 09:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tulac @ Jun 15 2007, 03:17 PM) 294595</div>
New info:

This is where most of your worries or doubts come to an end.

Everything said here is logical and stable.

Seems some people got their magazine and shared them with us.

Here they are:

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version was bad.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

Ovo je svima na sluzbenom forumu dosta nejasno,nespretno je napisano,tako da sami izvlačite zaključke kako će to točno borba bit izvedena,dok developeri sami ne objasne.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.
- Level cap is 20.

- Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.
- There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game.
I confirm the above mentioned specifications.
They are all based upon the interview among GameInformer Magazine[/b]
[/b]

BS, that's from No Mutants Allowed and it isn't even from a reliable source, it's just some random silly person who said he got the magazine, we'll see if it's true, it's poorly worded and dumb, I bet the actual magazine will say something totally different if he did get it, because that person can't even use a proper English sentence.

If it's true, it's good news, most of it sounds to be a good all around base for the mechanics, if it isn't, oh well, I'll never trust what some unreliable moron on the internet says.

Blood-Pigggy
16-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Double-post, but it needs to be made public.

Scans people, scans.
*whistling bomb drop*

Here ya go, NMA.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/

*Runs away*

*ORGASMS*

YESS! LOOK AT IT! I SCREAMED IN MY ROOM! AT THREE AM AND MY MOM CAME IN AND SAID "PIERRE WHAT THE *meep* ARE YOU DOING!?"

But I didn't care, this is exactly what I wanted! Look at the screens! Read the article, it's damn near perfect, I want to give Bethesda BIG SEXINGS!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

TheChosen
16-06-2007, 08:27 AM
:drool:

We certainly live in interesting times.

Doubler
16-06-2007, 11:00 AM
To be honest I can't really say this article makes me more confident. VATS sounds very odd (like many have already noted: A bit of a superpower to use in FPS play) and another non-substantial tutorial isn't a good thing either. Then there are a couple of other things that don't feel right, like the mutants or the 'nuclear-catapult' (how the?).

Oh well, we'll see.

Blood-Pigggy
16-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the nuke catapult sounds dumb, but everything else is great in my opinion.
I believe VATS works not as a superpower, but more as your primary attack, for example, when you're waiting for it to charge, and you just shoot causing it to recharge more slowly, your attacks will be wildly erratic and inaccurate, like they remove a large percentage of your skill tag or remove perks that benefit it while not using VATS.

Doubler
16-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm not going to turn down a system that I know next-to-nothing about (save a vague description in some magazine).
But as it stands it seems like there's an emphasis on FPS play, just with some crude recharging aimed shot ability added in. TB involves more then just aimed shots - tactical opportunities, AP management and choices of various levels of severity ;)

(aside from the lacking implementation of TB in Fallout 1/2. Yeah, I said it, I think the way Fallout implemented TB did little to promote tactical play in any way. Glorified slot machine most of the time)

Blood-Pigggy
16-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Listen, nuts to the combat system dude, we both know that it DEFINITELY wasn't what made the Fallout games good at all, just hope that they get the rest of the stuff right, what matters, the freeform gameplay Fallout was known for primarily, the viewpoint or time management system doesn't really matter in my opinion.

Tulac
16-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TB involves more then just aimed shots - tactical opportunities, AP management and choices of various levels of severity[/b]

From the description that system sound like just the thing you're describing.

Doubler
16-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by The Red Lemur+****<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Red Lemur)</div>From the description that system sound like just the thing you're describing.[/b]I'll transcribe the description:

Originally posted by GI@
While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real-time first-person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause and select a target at their leisure. Once targeted, a zoomed-in view of that enemy will show all the places you could aim to hit the creature, and the percentage chance you'll succeed.That sounds just like selecting an aimed shot, and like nothing more.

******QuoteBegin-GI
Every combat move will deplete this [AP] supply, at which point those AP will begin to regenerate in real time [...] you can continue to attack in real time, but this will dramatically slow the recharge of your action points [...] I do not consider aimed-shot recharge rates to constitue AP management or a choice of several levels of severity. :P
What I'm reffering to is managing what to do with the AP you're given in a situation which is usually of a tactical or strategic nature. There's no evidence of this in VATS.

But it really depends on whether there's more then just firing that's controlled by AP and VATS (what things are considered 'combat moves'?).

Pigggy: I've battled with Avid Fallout Fans to maintain that (TB) combat is one of a multitude of things making Fallout. However, I'll equally defend that (TB, broadly taken) combat is one of a multitude of things making Fallout :P

Tulac
16-06-2007, 02:43 PM
VATS reminds me a bit of FF battle system, there is quite a lot of tacticism in it. Also the part where if you hit one's hand he won't be able to shoot well and etc. seems to be in spirit with predecessor.

Doubler
16-06-2007, 03:09 PM
FF? :blink:
That's wishfull thinking. It would imply a whole a range of actions fall under this AP 'timer', but so far there's no evidence for that at all. Moreover, the only action that is confirmed to be governed by it (attacking), is also confirmed to be useable when out of AP, allbeit less effectively.
If that's all you have about as much 'tacticism'as when deciding to use a powerattack in Oblivion.

And how about considerations like:
"Should I move a bit further or go for extra damage?"
"Should I take my chances or lose a turn using healing goods?"
"Darn, he deals so much damage I'm losing half my turns!"
"If I use a normal shot, I can still reload this turn. However, I won't be able to move and am likely to miss"

But, one consideration I won't regret losing:
"Oh no... a dozen opponents. Should I go make dinner or buy some new clothes while waiting for the them to finish their turn?" :P

Blood-Pigggy
16-06-2007, 05:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Jun 16 2007, 10:24 AM) 294704</div>
Originally posted by The Red Lemur+****<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Red Lemur)From the description that system sound like just the thing you're describing.[/b]I'll transcribe the description:

Originally posted by GI@
While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real-time first-person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause and select a target at their leisure. Once targeted, a zoomed-in view of that enemy will show all the places you could aim to hit the creature, and the percentage chance you'll succeed.That sounds just like selecting an aimed shot, and like nothing more.

******QuoteBegin-GI
Every combat move will deplete this [AP] supply, at which point those AP will begin to regenerate in real time [...] you can continue to attack in real time, but this will dramatically slow the recharge of your action points [...] I do not consider aimed-shot recharge rates to constitue AP management or a choice of several levels of severity. :P
What I'm reffering to is managing what to do with the AP you're given in a situation which is usually of a tactical or strategic nature. There's no evidence of this in VATS.

But it really depends on whether there's more then just firing that's controlled by AP and VATS (what things are considered 'combat moves'?).

Pigggy: I've battled with Avid Fallout Fans to maintain that (TB) combat is one of a multitude of things making Fallout. However, I'll equally defend that (TB, broadly taken) combat is one of a multitude of things making Fallout :P
[/b][/quote]

I don't think so at all, personally I found the TB combat in Fallout to be misplaced and poorly done, it doesn't mean as much to me as it does to other people because despite my enjoyment of the game I hated everything about the combat.

gufu1992
17-06-2007, 04:50 PM
TB is an awesome thing... it allows to fully enjoy combat...

Blood-Pigggy
17-06-2007, 04:56 PM
No, it allows you to fully plan out combat when its well done, which it wasn't.

Doubler
17-06-2007, 10:01 PM
True. Turn-based allows combat to become a fully tactical affair. Fallout's implementation turned out more of a slot machine, and could use improvement :P
The implementation of TB, that is.

The thing is, the fact that it was turn based was part of the general spirit of the game. Putting something different in place changes a mechanic that lay at the core of the game, spiritually and practically.
Sure, it's but one part of it, next to dialogue, character development (which is tied to the TB, by the way) story, setting etc. Not to mention all kinds of abstract things like atmosphere, feel, immersion, humour... But it is one thing. One thing that matters to people, and actually has a huge bearing on their preferences and capabilities too, making it even more fundamental.

Blood-Pigggy
17-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Only thing I liked about the TB is that it made character's comments fit in at appropriate times, instead of being awkward.

12turtle12
18-06-2007, 07:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doubler @ Jun 16 2007, 03:09 PM) 294709</div>
FF? :blink:
That's wishfull thinking. It would imply a whole a range of actions fall under this AP 'timer', but so far there's no evidence for that at all. Moreover, the only action that is confirmed to be governed by it (attacking), is also confirmed to be useable when out of AP, allbeit less effectively.
If that's all you have about as much 'tacticism'as when deciding to use a powerattack in Oblivion.

And how about considerations like:
"Should I move a bit further or go for extra damage?"
"Should I take my chances or lose a turn using healing goods?"
"Darn, he deals so much damage I'm losing half my turns!"
"If I use a normal shot, I can still reload this turn. However, I won't be able to move and am likely to miss"

But, one consideration I won't regret losing:
"Oh no... a dozen opponents. Should I go make dinner or buy some new clothes while waiting for the them to finish their turn?" :P
[/b]

I'm going to have to agree w/ everything you said re: TB play of Fallout. The same thing I hate about M&M 4 (Haven't played 5 yet) is the character speed. You're a freaking computer using programmed logic. Move on your stupid turn and let me play again. One thing I actually liked a lot about Tactics was the fact you could use TB or RT(realtime) so if you wanted the action of 3 guys running up on you while another was holding you down with a rocket launcher, you could. Or, TB - see above. For the record, I got my GI magazine yesterday (or was it Saturday?) and I can back up anything that was said re: screenshots, the character creation, etc. If you want me to post screen shots, so be it, but whoever denies that stuff is true, you'll be laughed at as a skeptic soon. I'm really interested in playing F3, but like anyone else who absolutely loved 1, 2, and Tactics, I'm a little nervous. From what I saw and read (which was the whole article 2 times) it looks to be a good spiritual successor from the other games. I'm a little iffy on the behind-the-back camera view or First Person, to me it seems a little cheap to steal from Oblivion, which according to this thread we knew all along, but, I can get over not having the same camera view if they do a good job with the gameplay. I'm not as interested in the way they do the graphics and camera as I am with the content, replayability, open-ended choices, multiple endings, etc that made Fallout so great in the first place. I can gripe and complain for the next 15 months, or I can shut up 'til I buy the game and then rant if I hate it. I'm going for that option.

Blood-Pigggy
18-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I remember playing the first Fallout and using the "Ask About" box to type in "Sex" and "Gay Sex" and they would say "I don't know anything about that" and I'd be like "Sure you don't".

bobson
19-06-2007, 05:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jun 16 2007, 02:00 PM) 294694</div>
Yeah, the nuke catapult sounds dumb, but everything else is great in my opinion.
[/b]

It's not dumb - it's Fallouts BFG :titan:

After reading I believe the game will be OK. One thing that makes me a little bit worried is combat. I hope it won't get too much FPS-like ...

One more thing - do you remember Lionheart? That game was great for first half, multiple speech options, a couple of "guilds", lots of enemies, S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Ok there was a little annoying fighting. It was all great until the war - after that all the magic was gone ... game became Diablo-style - last chapters was totally crap and made the game just average or even below. I hope this won't be F3's fate

Doubler
19-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Handheld nuclear bombs are not particularly Fallout imho. The nuclear explosion in Fallout is a popular 50's (not that it’s changed that much) idea of huge devastation that might just end all life on the planet if there's any decent number of them. You know, the kind you go blind looking at, produces lots of Fallout and turns the general area into a wasteland?

Not some bomb you can throw a couple of meters away to kill some beastie.

Eva02Soul
19-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Well, we have plasma fusion technology and powered assault armour, why not a handheld WMD? I think the fatboy was more of a flavour text thing than anything else though. I personally wouldn't care if it does make it in, or if it's left out.

Doubler
19-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, we have plasma fusion technology and powered assault armour, why not a handheld WMD?[/b]Because of two reasons mainly:
1 - Those things fit in with the popular retro-future vision. A hand-held nuclear bomb doesn't for the reason outlined above.
2 - Those things make a minimum ammount of sense, ie. launching plasma or walking around in power suits or even ray guns are within the imaginable, while throwing a full-fledged nuclear bomb 5 meters away and coming out without a scratch and happily smiling requires you to suspend your disbelief to absolutely ridiculous levels.

Blood-Pigggy
19-06-2007, 05:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eva02Soul @ Jun 19 2007, 09:46 AM) 295181</div>
Well, we have plasma fusion technology and powered assault armour, why not a handheld WMD? I think the fatboy was more of a flavour text thing than anything else though. I personally wouldn't care if it does make it in, or if it's left out.
[/b]

At least people here are reserved about it to some extent, other forums completely ignored the good parts of the article and just looked for EVERYTHING that was bad, including the fatboy.

You have to be some kind of crazy nerd to stoop so low as to start complaining about how a little silver hammer in a Super Mutant's hand looks like it's slightly from Oblivion.
And as for the Super Mutant looking like a Orc, they always did, big revelation oh god.

EDIT: And you know that may have just been Game Informer's doing, they tend to mess around with stuff like that A LOT just to make it sound cooler, it probably wasn't even the developer's exact words.

For example, they said that there would be a gun in Painkiller (the stake gun, which it is in the game) that would be able to impale an entire line of enemies, and stick them to the wall all in a big row, which in reality, the gun could only stake one person.

They tend to do that a lot because they think it stirs up hype, they insult their target audience's intelligence by thinking that because a game's weapons are exaggerated it will make people more excited for the big booms.

Doubler
19-06-2007, 10:15 PM
You have to be some kind of crazy nerd to stoop so low as to start complaining about how a little silver hammer in a Super Mutant's hand looks like it's slightly from Oblivion.[/b]It's actually worse :P
They're complaining a car differential (it isn't a silver hammer! It's a stainless steel carpart) looks like an Oblivion warhammer and a fire-hydrant looks like an Oblivion mace :tai:

Blood-Pigggy
19-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Lol, the worst is that there's actually people whining that you can be "black" in the game because in the GI article it says you can choose your ethnicity.

Eva02Soul
20-06-2007, 02:27 AM
but you could be black in Elder scrolls as well, nobody was complaining then

12turtle12
20-06-2007, 03:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blood-Pigggy @ Jun 18 2007, 08:34 PM) 295074</div>
I remember playing the first Fallout and using the "Ask About" box to type in "Sex" and "Gay Sex" and they would say "I don't know anything about that" and I'd be like "Sure you don't".
[/b]
Oh what I forgot all about that! That's freaking hilarious great minds think alike!

Doubler
20-06-2007, 10:44 AM
but you could be black in Elder scrolls as well, nobody was complaining then[/b]But not in Fallout. End.

Oh, and since you've just compared Fallout to TES you just lost any credibility for the avid Fallout fan, and have been classified as a shallow, twitchy console kiddy :P

Eva02Soul
20-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Think what you like, but my turboplasma rifle and hardened power armored finesse critter beg to differ

Doubler
20-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I was just anticipating the response you'd get on the Fallout forums :)

Eva02Soul
20-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but those are guys who would willingly drop the fatboy just so they could LARP their favourite game...

Blood-Pigggy
20-06-2007, 04:03 PM
LARPing is the single most gayest thing ever.

Tiberius
20-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I just found my copy of Fallout 2 yesterday. :max: Coincidently, I also got my new Game Informer and Fallout 3 was the feature story. From what I read, it sounds like Bethesda is keeping it very close to the first two titles.

gufu1992
21-06-2007, 01:17 AM
I never knew you had nuclear cataoults(unless counting Van Burens Nuclear Mortar used by ghouls), first person, and 20 level caps... bet they will make a payable mod to raise it to 30...

Blood-Pigggy
21-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Bet they'll make a payable mod that sodomizes all elitist Fallout fans and make millions of children in third world countries happy.

gufu1992
21-06-2007, 01:23 AM
An Super mutant armor add-on.
Give you're ride a better defence. :whistling:

Blood-Pigggy
21-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Or that allows you to die from cancer the instant you boot up the game.

gufu1992
21-06-2007, 01:32 AM
A pir... err raider lair add-on. Join a team, kill, and take the boo... stuff from others :P

bobson
21-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Experience cap can mean that they are already planning an add-on ...

So the posts about payable mods are possible :wallbash:

Eva02Soul
21-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Fallout 3: Throne of PipBoy

Doubler
21-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Actually, the level-cap is taken from the first Fallout :)

bobson
21-06-2007, 04:41 PM
There was a level cap in Fallout? Have I played too little to get to that point?

Trying to find some info on the net about it, and ... nothing ...

gufu1992
21-06-2007, 05:37 PM
the fallout cap was 30 BTW

Doubler
21-06-2007, 07:35 PM
21, last I heard ;)
A theoretical 99 in Fallout 2. Practically unattainable though, since gameplay is (artificially) limited. Most people I heard would end up 30-35.

12turtle12
21-06-2007, 07:36 PM
<<<NooB --- What is LARP?

Doubler
21-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Live Action Role Playing
Playing RP's in real life. Put on some costume, etc.

Eva02Soul
22-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Yeah, but I don't think there was enough Quest xp in the game to get that far. Anything past 16 would require grinding, I think.

12turtle12
22-06-2007, 10:13 PM
A little grinding isn't too bad, a lot of grinding sucks. Except for Fire Emblem, which I'd rather "a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear" than ever play that game again. No grinding, no problem. Just keep playing maps where the enemies are stronger than your guys and many times can kill in 1 hit. Woohoo! Fun! (Sorry off-topic) LARPS. That's weird. But thanks for the heads up. I could be wrong and missed it, but it seems no one caught, or no one was upset by, the fact that your weapons deteriorate. Could there be anything closer to Oblivion than that? I think that by far would be the most out of place among the Fallout universe. (Okay, I do agree that a hand-held nuke is pretty stupid)

Doubler
22-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Weapon deterioration has been present in plenty of games and feels rather natural to me. Identifying it purely with Oblivion is a mistake.

12turtle12
24-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm not applying it specifically to Oblivion. There's Fire Emblem for one. (Which I also hated but not for that reason) plus a few other RPG's I've played. Also, you could say that games that give you a limited amount of ammo for guns w/out a lot of ammo pickups (Unlike Doom or Duke Nukem) could be "deteriorating" in the fact that once it's used up, it's gone. All I'm saying by my last statement is that Oblivion has a certain flavor where you have a repair skill and need a tool or two to repair your deteriorating weapons/armor. Bethesda makes Oblivion. Now they made Fallout. Fallout never had that system before. Now it does. Is there a connection? Yes. If Fallout is the great game we say it is, why add new things that drastically affect the way it plays? I think a weapon that loses quality over time would be considered a big chance for the Fallout universe. Will it make it a bad game? No, I don't think so. But with all the petty griping that has gone on (not so much from this thread but other sites I've visited) you'd think you'd hear more about a change that effects all your weapons, rather than one weapon like a hand-held nuke that seems to be optional use anyway.

Doubler
24-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Is there a connection? Yes.[/b]If that's a conclusion, your reasoning is fallacious.
To be honest I think there's plenty of connections between Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but this isn't one. It fits more in the line of the other survival elements added in. Did you need to eat, drink etc. in Oblivion? You never had to before in Fallout (unless you can't that non-substantial 'lose-1-health-per-chance' gimmick in the original Fallout) :P

If Fallout is the great game we say it is, why add new things that drastically affect the way it plays?[/b]Because adding things is good, if done well (that's the issue with the catapult - it's ridicilous even in the Fallout universe, not a good addition. Really, there's enough wrong with the avid Fallout fanbase if you ask me, but you can't blame them for thinking purple ponies wouldn't improve their game :P). The real problem starts when you start changing things that are already good, or vital to the feel and gameplay qualities of the old game (determining the audience for example).

12turtle12
26-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Okay, but by your own admission, why change something that isn't broken? I don't want to have to drink water. I don't want to have to worry about my gun deteriorating. I want to concentrate on story and doing whatever I want. That's Fallout. I understand where Bethesda is coming from considering it's a post-nuclear thing in the vein of The Road Warrior, but really...why not give the option? There's a game on this site...and I forget the name, but it's 1st person, and you can choose survival or arcade mode. Arcade would be considered regular Fallout, survival mode, ifyou get hurt, you need to disinfect, use antidote, wrap it up, etc. Why not give the option? I would say it's a big deviation from traditional Fallout.