PDA

View Full Version : Another New Idea...

TheChosen
15-08-2005, 07:15 AM
I got an nice idea for Abandonia..

How about some game-related articles(example:"Sierra,The history of adventure games" or Mortal Kombat and video game violence). Members can write and sent articles just like normal games.

A. J. Raffles
15-08-2005, 07:47 AM
I think I remember a very old suggestion to have company profiles, but too few people responded (or at least there wasn't enough people who actually wrote those profiles, since it does need a certain amount of research, obviously).

TheChosen
15-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Aug 15 2005, 07:47 AM
I think I remember a very old suggestion to have company profiles, but too few people responded (or at least there wasn't enough people who actually wrote those profiles, since it does need a certain amount of research, obviously).
I also remember that,but this one is different.

Its not just the "Company histories". I said game-related articles(More examples:Creating a MUD,Counter-Strike-Drug or a game,Konamis horror game...)

A. J. Raffles
15-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Sorry, I didn't make myself perfectly clear there. I didn't mean to imply your idea was the same, but it'll be facing similar problems. You'd need at least about a dozen articles (preferably more) to make it worthwhile to add a new feature. And you'd need people to write those articles, obviously.

TheChosen
15-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Aug 15 2005, 08:34 AM
Sorry, I didn't make myself perfectly clear there. I didn't mean to imply your idea was the same, but it'll be facing similar problems. You'd need at least about a dozen articles (preferably more) to make it worthwhile to add a new feature. And you'd need people to write those articles, obviously.
I see....

Any volunteers?

Kosta
15-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I think this is the point where the idea hit a dead end last time too :P

troop18546
15-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by TheChosen@Aug 15 2005, 10:44 AM
I see....

Any volunteers?
Repost this in the joke thread. Its funny. LOL

TheChosen
20-08-2005, 01:25 PM
There goes my idea....[damn]

Okay,i have another one!
Someone may have already suggested it,but i suggest it again!
How about the random game selector,just like the one in The Underdogs.

Blood-Pigggy
20-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I go with that one.
I find if I can't see a game I'm interested in I just click the random game button and see if the result is any good.

Quintopotere
21-08-2005, 11:32 AM
The random selector game doesn't attract me.

But the articles idea is actually good... well if someone write them :whistle:

Tom Henrik
21-08-2005, 01:02 PM
The random game generator is a brilliant idea.

Problem is... Where?

TheChosen
21-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Aug 21 2005, 01:02 PM

Problem is... Where?
Where? :blink:

Tom Henrik
21-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Yes. Where?

The main page is stuffed.

TheChosen
21-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Add it in the bottom of the category list or next to the language flags.

Sebatianos
21-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Not only that the main page is full - it doesn't even show the donators anymore... I don't think we should add the random game generator.

Kosta
21-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Yes, most of our visitors like the fact that abandonia is "clean" and easy to navigate. By stuffing features like that on the main page, it will only get confusing

Havell
21-08-2005, 03:45 PM
It wouldn't use much space or disrupt the design to put "Random Game" on the bottom of the catagory list. BTW, what does "The Crypt" mean in the catagory list? It was added while I was on holiday.

TheChosen
21-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Crypt category contains CGA games.

Blood-Pigggy
21-08-2005, 04:44 PM
You know you don't have to make it a picture or anything.

All you have to do is put in "Random Game" in the genre bar.
I'm sure one more line of text wouldn't hurt.

BeefontheBone
21-08-2005, 05:36 PM
but then we don't get to see tom try and pixel a space invader doing something which represents randomness - playing dice or something maybe. and that's a shame.

Blood-Pigggy
21-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Eh, it's a loss we can go on with.

Toxik
21-08-2005, 05:54 PM
i think that the random game button is useless-but im very picky person.

Blood-Pigggy
21-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Well when new people aren't sure what they're looking for (I many a times go somewhere looking for a new game, but I'm not sure what I want) they can simply click on the random game button.
It's a different manner of browsing, by just taking anything in general.

Shrek
21-08-2005, 11:24 PM
maybe the main page should be remodeled (ops, i' m probably making a big mistake by sugesting this :tai:)

Blood-Pigggy
21-08-2005, 11:57 PM
How so? It's not a mistake.
Many sites redesign to get less cluttered or make a more efficient navigation.

TheChosen
24-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Lets vote.

Those who are against the idea say:Nay
Those who are with the idea say:Ya

I say Ya.

The Niles
24-08-2005, 11:46 AM
You can discuss this at your leasure of course but know that this idea has been rejected. Any outcome of a vote will not change that.

TheChosen
24-08-2005, 11:48 AM
$@?€! :ranting:

Il be back when i got another new idea.

The Niles
24-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TheChosen@Aug 24 2005, 11:48 AM
$@?€! :ranting:

Il be back when i got another new idea.
Please do, we want to hear them.

Tom Henrik
24-08-2005, 04:42 PM
We will, of course, consider it for a future layout. :ok:

Shrek
26-08-2005, 11:52 PM
this was a dumb idea, so forget it :ok:

Blood-Pigggy
26-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey Shrek.
Sup.
But there's already such a feature.

In the Extras section it says "discuss this game"
Just click on that and it'll send you straight the the thread.

Shrek
27-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@Aug 27 2005, 12:53 AM
Hey Shrek.
Sup.
But there's already such a feature.

In the Extras section it says "discuss this game"
Just click on that and it'll send you straight the the thread.
yep there his ... damnit, can i (or someone) delete my previous post?

(however i still want my smiley with the bulb lamp over his head :D )

TheChosen
12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Aug 21 2005, 01:02 PM

Problem is... Where?
Now i got it, its a silly idea, but il give it a try.

How about this: if you write * and push enter at the game search, it will show a random game.

Dave
12-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey...idea idea idea... :wall: ...don't destruct you're brain... :roflol:

marko river
14-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Actually, i was thinking of suggesting random pick too. It is very good button and many people use it. Not everyone knows what are they looking for when they come to our site.

Chosen's idea of writing * to get random gaem is good.
Or maybe even not typing anything. Just hit enter and you get random pick. Perhaps if you type * and press enter, you get the list of all games in the alphabet order. Many people wanted to see letters on the main page so they can track down a game by alphabet order. This will solve this problem too.

Another idea: put button "GO!" beside search box. Maybe someone doesn't like to hit eneter button, but likes to use mouse. Now, if you click GO! without typing anything, it will give you random pick.

Another idea, the most stupid idea for random pick: there is free space on main page to the right of the search box :D

Bobbin Threadbare
14-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by TheChosen+Aug 15 2005, 06:44 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TheChosen @ Aug 15 2005, 06:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-A. J. Raffles@Aug 15 2005, 08:34 AM
I see....

Any volunteers? [/b][/quote]
I volunteer! :D
Only if I get to do the LucasArts stuff.

marko river
14-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Oh yes, as for the first idea in this tioic: well i like it. I had idea about old magazine articles, but this is even better. Members can try writing something on their own and try themsleves as journalists, offcourse writing about games.

Maybe we could have our own on-line magazine. Something like "Abandonia herald" or "Abandonia World" or something, where we can publish (on-line and for free) those texts. Offcourse, no need to hire a real journalists to take care of this, this is simpley text on page.

Now you gonna say "yes fine but we still need lot of volunteers to do this, if you want it to look like that we need 20-30 articles monthly...", well we don't. We could publish single texts untill this gets bigger or simpley wait for enought articles in period of 6 months-year.
Well this is stupid, but maybe someone up there will like the idea. Someone writes something interesting and we can upload it. That would be just a new section in extras called "articles" or something like that.

Is this too much of ideas in a single day????

Bobbin Threadbare
14-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Perhaps just a double sided page? The first page consisting of the title and the major article. Followed by the newly released games of the week. And perhaps some short articles.

The opposite side would have all ther other articles and would be having three columns. e.g.

---------- -------- --------

punch999
14-09-2005, 08:24 PM
I would do essays and stuff i would do it

marko river
15-09-2005, 02:39 PM
I guess that leading guys are not interested in our wonderful ideas and hard-working will we show :evil:

Bobbin Threadbare
15-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Pssst.. The Chosen. Say this is a good idea.

TheChosen
16-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare@Sep 15 2005, 03:19 PM
Pssst.. The Chosen. Say this is a good idea.
Maybe. What kind of articles did you had in mind?

Bobbin Threadbare
16-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Not quite sure... Gee, it's hard to thinkwhen you're actually trying to think of something.

Scenario One:
I don't think of something.

Gah! *Throws open bag of flour at TheChosen*

Scenario Two:
Still thinking.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ..............
Ah, I just thought of an idea. New info on certain game companies (oldies only though. Of course.) e.g. Some guy (goblin) is making a Curse Of Monkey Island: Plunder Island style Unreal Tournament mod. This is true news. (Link: plunder3d.net (http://plunder3d.net))

TheChosen
16-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bobbin Threadbare@Sep 16 2005, 02:24 PM
Not quite sure... Gee, it's hard to thinkwhen you're actually trying to think of something.

Scenario One:
I don't think of something.

Gah! *Throws open bag of flour at TheChosen*

Scenario Two:
Still thinking.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ..............
Ah, I just thought of an idea. New info on certain game companies (oldies only though. Of course.) e.g. Some guy (goblin) is making a Curse Of Monkey Island: Plunder Island style Unreal Tournament mod. This is true news. (Link: plunder3d.net (http://plunder3d.net))
*Tc curses while cleaning the flour*

Nope. Thats not what im looking for.