PDA

View Full Version : Screamer 1 Dos Game

BlueFox
16-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Ok, this game isn't on abandonia, but I want to fix this problem.

I have my Screamer disk, and the computer finds the CD fine. I install the game through DOSBOX, and run it. Then there's the intro. It's really slow for some reason, even though it runs pefect through XP Command Prompt, apart from sound, as my sound card isnt compatibale, being a lot newer. So ANyway, I get the game going, then after i hit Esc/ENter/Whatever to skip the intro thing, I get a message saying Insert Screamer Disk.

It's in the drive, the drive letter is correct in all the config files, but it just refuses to see it there.

Can anyone help?

Eagle of Fire
16-07-2005, 08:26 PM
To set up a CD rom in DOSBox, you need to add the tag -t CDROM.

For example; mount d d:\ -t cdrom

For more informations, read your readme.txt which come with DOSBox or read the Newbie Guide to DOSBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=Basic+Setup+and+Installation+of+Dos Box).

BlueFox
16-07-2005, 08:28 PM
How could I install it through dosbox if i didnt know how to set up a cdrom drive?

I know how to work the basics of dosbox, its just a pricky game...

efthimios
16-07-2005, 09:02 PM
You can try with D fend?

Koen
16-07-2005, 09:31 PM
recommended system req's were a 486 66 mhz or above if I remember well for screamer... Dunno what system you're running, but I doubt if it will run in dosbox with the standard settings. Probably must set the emulation speed higher.

BlueFox
16-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Its not that im worried about.

I have a 2.06ghz pc. and yes its probably the emulationspeed needs tweaked, i can sort that after i get the friggin game to run ><

Petter1979
16-07-2005, 11:28 PM
have you tried VDM Sound instead?

describtion from abandonia:

VDM Sound
VDMSound is a program that overcomes what has probably been the most exasperating limitation of DOS boxes since Windows NT - sound support. VDMSound emulates SoundBlaster compatible as well as Adlib music. In development are improvements to the existing joystick emulation, and possibly VESA support. It is a self-contained, 100% software emulation program that is completely independent of your audio hardware type and settings. VDMSound works with any soundcard, and will even work on computers that have no audio hardware at all. This software is highly recommended if your computer is too slow for running DOSBox as it will start most games in regular WinXP command prompt.

http://www.abandonia.com/utility/VDMSound%202.1.0.exe

all you need is to install it. then when finish, restart computer, find your screamer exe file(ie the file that starts the game), right click on it, and choose "run with VDMS"

BlueFox
17-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Dudes, I dont care about the sound. All I want is for the game to find the CDROM cos the game refuses to find it, and it wont play if it cant find the cd! You're all missing the point.

efthimios
17-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I will say it again, have you tried D-Fend? Use the wizard, it might be of help.

BlueFox
06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
D fend hasnt done anything for me at all. Still got the problem, and it runs 10x slower in dosbox or d fend, regardless of frameskip or cpu cycles..

Uhhh...k.

Gastón
20-11-2005, 12:26 AM
First: Sorry for my english, I'm from Argentina and I'm a little bit out of practice.

Well my friend, I'm another one with problems with this GREAT game.

It's making me crazy.

I have different problems but some solutions too.

Here is my situation, I hope some things work for you. If that happen, PLEASE let me know.

I run WindowsXP Pro.

I can make Screamer work under the following environments but with problems:

1) Directly in XP using the PIF file for access (setup.exe and starth.exe) and configuring new autoexec and config files in emulation ("properities / program / advanced", I have that options in spanish, so I don't know the exact name in english in the OS). The problem is that crashes sometimes and It can't load music from a CD (including when I use the mscdexnt.exe). But I think I can solve this. There is something I'm forgetting in the configuration. I will try loading the old MSCDEX program with compatibility too.

2) In DOSBOX it works too slow and crashes too (changing frames and cycles too).

3) With VirtualPC and a REAL Ms-Dos emulated environment it works JUST FINE with CD support TOO, but if you don't have a VERY GOOD MACHINE is slow.

------

To do all this, you must install the game and change the SCREAMER.CFG file with the correct data depending where you are trying to run it. With (1) I use VDM Sound too and the sound works fine.

The main problem with the CD support is that WinXP controls the units by SOFTWARE. That sucks...

The second problem is that the MIDI emulation, generaly, slows ALL.

------

Well, that's all.

If I can run it in XP with CD support working fine, I let you know.

Eagle of Fire
21-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Please do not resurect old threads from the death. Create yourself a new, personnal one.