PDA

View Full Version : Buzz Aldrins Race into Space

Tom Henrik
16-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/183)

Dream
16-08-2004, 12:36 PM
TIPs and what you may not notice when playing your first game:

1, Cut down unmanned missions as much as possible,unmanned docking is OK but that is about it, not even exploration of other planets will pay off.

2, When you assign astronauts to crews they need to be in harmony, if they don't like each other then they will get frustrated, to check if they are ok click on some crew and then their name

3, If you have doubts about success of upcoming mission you do not have to scrub it, you can just skip EVA phase and such similiar things, when you plan start on some month you can do so by clicking on name of the mission (Example: Manned docking)

4,Not only man in space counts, but also Woman in space.

Will tell more later.

FluffDaddy
17-08-2004, 05:32 PM
How do you get docking equipment?

Dream
17-08-2004, 06:31 PM
You must not go to research centre, then click on purchasing facility, it should be somewhere in miscellaneous it should be available for purchase. To improve it's safety rating you have to do docking missions.

gabriel_br
17-08-2004, 10:20 PM
oh my god.

This is a great game, but i have some problems...

1. Sometimes i buy the wrong rocket or probe, and spend a lot of money and time on that.. I just need some guide of what to buy..

2. My rockets ALLWAYS blows up! What should i do?

3. The cosmo/astronauts allways 'give up'... Its a lot of money and time wasted..

Sorry for the bad grammar, but i just speak portuguese... Well, thanks for the help :D

Dream
18-08-2004, 08:46 AM
As I said, you shouldn't use 1 crew too often, and make sure it's members like each other.

As for the blown up rockets.

At the first goal (orbital satellite) you just have to risk failiure and not complete maximum safety level.

Also I need Tom Henrik to add there flight times. You know they ask you about how long someone stayed in space, if you answer wrongly, every rocket will blow up. It is a mystery to me why he didn't put them for download and I hope he's going to set it right soon, else people will lose interest in this great game :-/

If you mean why rockets blow up then it can be because you have a low safety level. After creating satellite take your time and upgrade every often so high until it's around highest level.

When there's something wrong with capsule or during EVA it's the same like with rockets, but this time also Astronauts can be responsible. Like if Astronauts has a low capsule piloting level (or whatever is it called) then he most likely won't manage to flight with craft damaged by partial failiure, and if he's real loser, he may be the reason why catastrophical failiure happened.

Also please download the patch, when starting the game it says 1.00b version, which is strange since site I downloaded it from says it's 1.01 patch. Well try it anyway since it should make the game more fun to play.

How to buy things? Uhh this will be for long.

I myself did never landed on moon but basics are that for more complicated missions than EVA duration mission you need modules for 2 and more people.:

If you want manned docking mission:
It's better to have it joint, one rocket will bring up docking system, second one module. Module must have 2 and more astronauts.

Orbital eva: Module with 1 and more astronauts, second rocket (the one after atlas) or Atlas with booster strap on. Eva suits researched.

Orbital eva docking duration:

Orbital eva+Docking, that is all. You will need however astronauts that have high endurance or else the mission might get scrubbed for their sickness.

Lunar passing, Lunar Orbital: Uhh don't remember, shoot me if I'm wrong but I think it should be module for 3 or more, booster A (maybe B don't remember) and second rocket (again the one after atlas), but you may need booster strap on for it.

When you need just to buy things you have already researched go to assembly hardware, and there select auto buy or something like that.

TIP: I have read somewhere that you should keep ranger/sputnik safety level high since in the moon mission or somewhere one stage is rolled on it's safety level.

Dream
18-08-2004, 10:36 PM
flight times are now up ready to be downloaded, so you can from now on normally play the game.

Schmendrick
02-12-2004, 02:42 AM
hm, can it be that after applying the patch the flight times dont work anymore?
if i play with this new patch the dates i am asked are always wrong if i can trust what the game says.

but i dont experience all rockets to blow up, "just" that IF a rocket blows up, i have to research it from a low safetylevel AGAIN, which makes the game quite unplayable :cry:

did somebody experience the same, has anyone a solution to my problem?

Furness
14-12-2004, 12:57 PM
A great conncept for a game but as a couple of the posters say rockets always blow up. Even with 84 % or more safety.
I'll try the patch and the flight times and see if it makes any difference.

bohor
14-12-2004, 01:05 PM
this is a cool game!! :ok:

PatrickRitchie
17-12-2004, 12:41 PM
I finally won this game last night, played as Russia historical level 1/1 and made my moon landing in the spring of 71 with a JT Voshkod mission. It was a really close behind as the US got 11 of the space firsts. Duration 'D', manned lunar pass, manned lunar orbit and lunar landing were the only firsts I was able to get. The AI is really good and really lucky at the start.

Some things I noticed:

1. If you mess up the copy protection, save your game and reload. If you continue with 'Access Denied' all your manned misions above duration 'A' will fail. Some of the answers in the copy protection file on this site don't seem to work in game, but others do so keep trying.
2. RTFM (Read The Fine Manual) especially the section on the safety levels of your missions, make sure you understand what goal steps are and what the penalty is if you skip one.
3. One nice thing is that if you mess something up during a turn (research the wrong tech, buy the wrong hardware etc...) you can save & reload and get back to the *start* of your turn.
4. If you want to win you have to focus on the Moon, nothing else matters. So skip any missions that don't A - improve safety of components needed or B - complete goal steps.

This is really a great game, i've heard rumblings about the source being released by the original developper if anyone knows anything about this please let me know! pritchie@gmail.com

Ramidel
03-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Orbital eva: Module with 1 and more astronauts, second rocket (the one after atlas) or Atlas with booster strap on. Eva suits researched.
--
Actually, you don't need the boosters for an Orbital EVA with the Mercury/Vostok. Just use the Atlas/A-Series.

Lunar passing, Lunar Orbital: Uhh don't remember, shoot me if I'm wrong but I think it should be module for 3 or more, booster A (maybe B don't remember) and second rocket (again the one after atlas), but you may need booster strap on for it.
--
You don't need to use the Apollo/Soyuz at all. I rarely do in fact....the Gemini works as well for anything -but- the actual landing. You use the Kicker-A for anything but an actual landing, which uses B. Again, no boosters required for this one.

TIP: I have read somewhere that you should keep ranger/sputnik safety level high since in the moon mission or somewhere one stage is rolled on it's safety level.
--
False. One stage is rolled on the amount of Photo Recon you've got, which is gained by lunar flybys, probe landings, manned passes and orbitals.

bABA
06-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Hi I have a problem with this game. I manage to do unmanned flights, then I train astronauts, send them down to my program and try to make a mission.

Then the games always tells me there are not enough astronauts in the program for all the crews?? Rhis is even when I assign 16 astronauts to do a one man Mission!

surely I am doimg something wrong. anybody got an idea what?

LEO
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
The astronauts have to be trained at their new program for 1 turn to familiarise them with the capsule etc... End your turn and see if you can put together a mission on the next one

blacktiger
14-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Ehy boy where i can found the answer for the copy protection of the game??

Juspar
15-02-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm loving this!

Hard, yes. Complex, yes. Lose track of the outside world for the between dusk and dawn, yes. Rocking!

Is there a manual somewhere? I'd be intrigued to know more of the workings.

Is there a follow up to this game anywhere?

Does anyone have tips on docking module improvement? Even my multiple unmanned missions crash and burn without an improvement in the equipment.

Some things I found to answer questins raised here: Copy protection is here - Flight Times (http://kerner.dtdns.net/content/extras/Buzz%20Aldrins%20Race%20into%20Space_Copy-protection.doc)
Astronauts need one to be transfered to a program (eg. Mercury, Gemini, Apollo) for a season to get to know the program, before you can assign them to missions. You will need to have enough astronauts assigned and trained on a program to complete a primary and back-up crew before you can schedule a mission for that prgoram.
Yes, if a component fails miserably - it's back to the drawing board. You need to research all over again.
The computer oponenet is inordinately lucky in the early stages, think long term.

J. Reiners
16-02-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm a little confused about the copy protection for this game. I have read on this board that if you mess up the copy protection all manned missions about duration A will fail. This seems to be the case in my situation. Where do I enter the copy right protection? I don't ever see a promt that asks me for flight times or whatever the copy protection is. I appreciate any suggestions anyone has for me. Thanks in advance :)

Dogsbd
17-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by J. Reiners@Feb 16 2005, 02:02 AM
I'm a little confused about the copy protection for this game. I have read on this board that if you mess up the copy protection all manned missions about duration A will fail. This seems to be the case in my situation. Where do I enter the copy right protection? I don't ever see a promt that asks me for flight times or whatever the copy protection is. I appreciate any suggestions anyone has for me. Thanks in advance :)
I have had the problem of the copy protection question popping up at a certain point but not displaying properly making it impossible to answer. IE, the screen may just go blank and if you hit enter a few times you will see the copy protection question pop up for an instant and then go away, no opportunity to enter the answer. I think it depends on your video card/drivers etc.

santarian
11-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Man this game is soooo hard does anyone know if and where there is a money cheat for this game i tried some of the trainers but cant get them to work, if u could tell me how or where to get some :ok:

Thx
May the forces of evil get lost on your way to your house :sniper:

Space Cadet
14-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Juspar@Feb 15 2005, 09:39 PM
Is there a manual somewhere? I'd be intrigued to know more of the workings.

You can find the manual at Home of the Underdogs (http://files.the-underdogs.org//games/b/buzz/files/buzz.pdf)

LEO
16-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by santarian@Mar 11 2005, 11:39 AM
Man this game is soooo hard does anyone know if and where there is a money cheat for this game i tried some of the trainers but cant get them to work, if u could tell me how or where to get some :ok:

Thx
May the forces of evil get lost on your way to your house :sniper:
if youre running it on windows (in a dos prompt, rather than booting into dos), you can use memory editors, such as GameHack or ArtMoney (there are loads more examples... a google search should help there...), and you can play around to see which you like best. then its just a case of finding the correct memory location and changing the value there (the manual for the editor should help there, otherwise, post back here...)

Guest_Chris
24-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Some of the durations provided on this site are historically correct but not correct according to BARIS. If you answer wrong twice all your rockets will blow up. I think I've found the right answers--for instance the duration for Musa Manarov (page 105) is historically 541 but according to BARIS the correct answer is 366 (probably b/c BARIS was using old info--Manarov's first mission was 366 days long, but he went on another in 1991). Anyway, I found it annoying enough to keep googling until I found something--I hope they're right.

http://www.gamewinners.com/faq.php?game=b/...Space-Chart.txt (http://www.gamewinners.com/faq.php?game=b/BuzzAldrinsRaceIntoSpace-Chart.txt)

Guest_Chris
25-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I owned and played this game religiously when it originally came out. If I remember correctly, I landed on the moon three times twice with the Jupiter Direct Descent (once before 1970 as JFK requested) and once with the historical approach. I may have some experience that people are interested in.

1) It's a huge boost if you can get an orbital satellite up in the Fall of 1957 (2nd turn). You might have to spend lots of time saving and reloading, but it gives you a nice prestigue and $ boost.

2) There are many ways to get to the moon each eith its own advantages. Jupiter is the easiest but also most expensive. It allows you to skip all docking attempts and LM tests, but you still need photo recon and duration "D", lunar pass and lunar orbital in order to make it completely safe.

Gemini is the hardest and least expensive. You can actually get to the moon using just the Titan plus Booster rockets. To do this you'll need to go to the moon using the JT Manned Lunar Landing LOR (lunar orbital rendevous). This is probably the most difficult way to go b/c I believe there are the most steps to go wrong. Also, under this approach you'll have to use the Kicker A b/c the B is too heavy. If you can get the Saturan rocket then you can use the Kicker B and any of the other approaches--the historical approach is the simplist. This is b/c the Saturan has enough power to get the Gemini, Cricket and Kicker all into orbit. Any lunar landing with the Gemini requires the Cricket LM which is more expensive than the Eagle which was traditionally used.

Apollo is the middle of the road approach as well as being the historical one. Again, I think you can actually do an Apollo landing w/ the Titan and Boosters if you do the JT Manned Lunar Landing LOR. The advantage of Apollo if you have the Saturan is that it does not require a Kicker. Plus you can use the Eagle LM if you want.

Under both Gemini & Apollo you need docking and LM points to make the trip safe. You cannot R&D the docking module. Instead, you gain R&D by experience. A failed docking attempt nets you 5% R&D and a successful one nets you 10%. You get 0% improvement if your mission fails before the docking. You need docking at least once on a lunar landing when the LM comes back up from the Moon. LM points are also gained by experience, you need 3 to make the trip totally safe. You get 1 point for doing an Earth Orbital LM test and 2 for doing a Lunar Orbital LM test.

Finally, photo recon is essential for a safe landing under any strategy. You gain 5% photo recon by a Ranger Lunar Pass and Manned or Unmanned Lunar Pass. I "think" you get 10% for a Lunar Orbital and 15% for a Lunar Probe Landing. The photo recon comes into effect when you are trying to land (you don't want to get your poor Astronauts all the way to the Moon just to have them crash land).

3) My general strategy suggestion is to ignore Russia until about 1964. They are going to push safety limits and for whatever reason even on Difficulty level 1 they usually succeed at first. Just plug along reaching as many steps as possible. I don't like the Mercury b/c of its low safety levels and the fact that it can't do a duration over "B" or any docking attempts. With that said, get to Gemini as quickly as possible probably after you've successfully completed a manned orbital with Mercury. Gemini was historically the "work horse" and is in the game too. As I said, you can get to the Moon in Gemini if you want, but at the very least you should use it to attain all the docking and duration you need. By the time you've done that you should be able to have the Apollo/Saturan V up and running which you can use to do the LM tests, Lunar Pass and Lunar Orbital. I've never used the Mini Shuttle, but I guess it could have advantages since its reusuable.

Here is a little checklist for getting an "A-OK" to attempt a Lunar Landing, it might not be exhaustive but it's what I can remember
1) Orbital Satellite
2) Man in Space (Orbit or Sub Orbit)
3) EVA
4) Duration "D" (four "pie" slices on the screen when your choosing future missions [the right corner of the little astronaut picture]; -5 safety for every level you "skip" so if the first duration you are attempting is D then your safety penalty is -15)
5) Multiple docking attempts to bring your R&D up to 90%
6) 3 LM points through LM tests
7) Photo Recon level 99%
8) Manned Lunar Pass
9) Manned Lunar Orbit

You can of course skip steps but you'll suffer safety. The Russians almost always attempt a Manned Orbital EVA for their first manned mission which should theoretically be a -14 safety on a capsule that has a max R&D level of 78% but somehow the Reds always seem to do it successfully. I don't think you need a lunar probe landing although I could be wrong. The advantage of a lunar probe landing is that a successful attempt is worth three successful lunar fly-bys.

Hope this helps someone. This was one of my favorite games growing up and, as you can see, I've retained alot of the info even though I haven't played it in almost 10 years (which makes me feel old).

Darcolite
19-04-2005, 12:11 AM
[COLOR=red][SIZE=14][I]I LOVE THIS GAME I EVEN FOUNED A WAY TO PLAY ONLINE[/I :ok: :ok: :D :D ]

Cartman
04-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Darcolite@Apr 19 2005, 12:11 AM
[COLOR=red][SIZE=14][I]I LOVE THIS GAME I EVEN FOUNED A WAY TO PLAY ONLINE[/I :ok:* :ok:* :D* :D ]
Yet he doesn't share how he did this... :cry:

edu_vinicius
10-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I have some questions :help:
1.what's the use of upgrade path? :blink:
2. anyone know a trainer or something to never have faiures on missions? :guns:

sorry the english. I am from Brasil :band:

Darcolite
11-05-2005, 10:15 PM
you whana know how to play online well its easy you take the multiplayer and while talk with chet (window mode) or by voice (whatever mode) he tells you what he done in his turn and you his and then you both get to the same

(like him above me srry for the english im isrealin) :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

win98
22-05-2005, 07:33 AM
should i play as usa or russia

win98
22-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Guest_Chris@Mar 25 2005, 01:19 PM
I owned and played this game religiously when it originally came out. If I remember correctly, I landed on the moon three times twice with the Jupiter Direct Descent (once before 1970 as JFK requested) and once with the historical approach. I may have some experience that people are interested in.

1) It's a huge boost if you can get an orbital satellite up in the Fall of 1957 (2nd turn). You might have to spend lots of time saving and reloading, but it gives you a nice prestigue and $ boost.

2) There are many ways to get to the moon each eith its own advantages. Jupiter is the easiest but also most expensive. It allows you to skip all docking attempts and LM tests, but you still need photo recon and duration "D", lunar pass and lunar orbital in order to make it completely safe.

Gemini is the hardest and least expensive. You can actually get to the moon using just the Titan plus Booster rockets. To do this you'll need to go to the moon using the JT Manned Lunar Landing LOR (lunar orbital rendevous). This is probably the most difficult way to go b/c I believe there are the most steps to go wrong. Also, under this approach you'll have to use the Kicker A b/c the B is too heavy. If you can get the Saturan rocket then you can use the Kicker B and any of the other approaches--the historical approach is the simplist. This is b/c the Saturan has enough power to get the Gemini, Cricket and Kicker all into orbit. Any lunar landing with the Gemini requires the Cricket LM which is more expensive than the Eagle which was traditionally used.

Apollo is the middle of the road approach as well as being the historical one. Again, I think you can actually do an Apollo landing w/ the Titan and Boosters if you do the JT Manned Lunar Landing LOR. The advantage of Apollo if you have the Saturan is that it does not require a Kicker. Plus you can use the Eagle LM if you want.

Under both Gemini & Apollo you need docking and LM points to make the trip safe. You cannot R&D the docking module. Instead, you gain R&D by experience. A failed docking attempt nets you 5% R&D and a successful one nets you 10%. You get 0% improvement if your mission fails before the docking. You need docking at least once on a lunar landing when the LM comes back up from the Moon. LM points are also gained by experience, you need 3 to make the trip totally safe. You get 1 point for doing an Earth Orbital LM test and 2 for doing a Lunar Orbital LM test.

Finally, photo recon is essential for a safe landing under any strategy. You gain 5% photo recon by a Ranger Lunar Pass and Manned or Unmanned Lunar Pass. I "think" you get 10% for a Lunar Orbital and 15% for a Lunar Probe Landing. The photo recon comes into effect when you are trying to land (you don't want to get your poor Astronauts all the way to the Moon just to have them crash land).

3) My general strategy suggestion is to ignore Russia until about 1964. They are going to push safety limits and for whatever reason even on Difficulty level 1 they usually succeed at first. Just plug along reaching as many steps as possible. I don't like the Mercury b/c of its low safety levels and the fact that it can't do a duration over "B" or any docking attempts. With that said, get to Gemini as quickly as possible probably after you've successfully completed a manned orbital with Mercury. Gemini was historically the "work horse" and is in the game too. As I said, you can get to the Moon in Gemini if you want, but at the very least you should use it to attain all the docking and duration you need. By the time you've done that you should be able to have the Apollo/Saturan V up and running which you can use to do the LM tests, Lunar Pass and Lunar Orbital. I've never used the Mini Shuttle, but I guess it could have advantages since its reusuable.

Here is a little checklist for getting an "A-OK" to attempt a Lunar Landing, it might not be exhaustive but it's what I can remember
1) Orbital Satellite
2) Man in Space (Orbit or Sub Orbit)
3) EVA
4) Duration "D" (four "pie" slices on the screen when your choosing future missions [the right corner of the little astronaut picture]; -5 safety for every level you "skip" so if the first duration you are attempting is D then your safety penalty is -15)
5) Multiple docking attempts to bring your R&D up to 90%
6) 3 LM points through LM tests
7) Photo Recon level 99%
8) Manned Lunar Pass
9) Manned Lunar Orbit

You can of course skip steps but you'll suffer safety. The Russians almost always attempt a Manned Orbital EVA for their first manned mission which should theoretically be a -14 safety on a capsule that has a max R&D level of 78% but somehow the Reds always seem to do it successfully. I don't think you need a lunar probe landing although I could be wrong. The advantage of a lunar probe landing is that a successful attempt is worth three successful lunar fly-bys.

Hope this helps someone. This was one of my favorite games growing up and, as you can see, I've retained alot of the info even though I haven't played it in almost 10 years (which makes me feel old).
[quote] i did get close to the mmon becaus russia and usa were both human contrrolledthe russia guys fate was a beheading i think the the usa guy was eraserd from all records.

The answers to the Days in Space
22-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey the answers are on the web if you look up the game you should be able to find them just like the download of the game is still on a few sites thats where I got it....GREAT GAME....I am suprised I did not hear of it, when it came out but then again I dont think I would have got it when I was 8 years old. LOL

Flop
23-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Yes! I finally beat it. Take that Amerikanski, the commies beat you to the moon. :D

Cartmancakes
22-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Whenever I play against myself, Russia always seems to win. And I've only beaten the computer once (I was USA). I did a direct ascent lunar landing, and landed in Spring 1970. I felt pretty good about that. It's a bit nerve racking, however, to be researching and not bothering with docking and LM tests, while you hear of Russia succeeding at these missions. However, I was lucky enough to be watching Russia's rating and see that a lot of their missions were failing. I guess the computer isn't always a winner! :)

chaoz
10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
I played this game many times but never used 'direct ascend' method - because it costs to much. With Reds I managed to land on the moon on autumn 1967 using Soyuz and 2 men LM at earliest, with Americans on spring 1968 at earliest. Still without "save&load" method it is very difficult game - and the best is when you play with human opponent.

Leon
02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
For anyone who's interested, I have a BARIS-related Web page with lots of goodies on it! Check it out if you get a chance. http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/

eddie9139
09-08-2005, 06:17 AM
/

Blaat
09-08-2005, 12:51 PM
I think this is a great game, but really hard!

Maybe helpfull for all of you I have found 2 strategy guides giving more insight.

Strategy 1 (http:////http://www.gamewinners.com/faq.php?game=b/BuzzAldrinsRaceIntoSpace-KFishkin.txt)

and

Strategy 2 (http://www.gamewinners.com/faq.php?game=b/BuzzAldrinsRaceIntoSpace-LBaradat.txt)

mm_pie
09-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I've just made it 4 the reds. Why bother with Soyuz, all it does is fail all of the time. Voskhod rules!!! :sniper:
N-1 rocket rules!!! :sniper:
Direct ascent is far more likely to suceed, than the historical one. I was in loads of trouble with the kremlin until about the last 6 seasons, when i started using manned missions more. Finally made it in Spring 69!!! Yay! Go Titov. He's rubbish at start, but train him well and you've got a great one. The american kit is worse than the Soviet kit anyway and i would never be america as i hate george bush. The end. :cheers:

mm_pie
09-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by win98@May 22 2005, 08:33 AM
russia all of the way. You get cheaper and more reliable parts. I also just tend to find that the odds are better that way. But don't use soyuz whatever you do. I have good results with Kvartet and Voskhod. :w00t:

The Real Spaceman
09-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Anybody know of a game like this but without the competition? I don't care about beating someone, I just like completing each mission type. :ok:

mickser
15-08-2005, 09:31 PM
hi,

got a problem with saving: the saved game disappears completely!
so i have to start all over again and again...
has anyone a hint for me?

Mr.Frog
16-08-2005, 07:39 PM
This is one of my all time favorites.

Just a note for those of us who like to cheat :D

At the start of the game go to the astronaut roster and rename the 97th american astronaut Von Braun. Then you can go and bump up all astronauts skills to 4 (including russians).

By the way, if you don't like playing against the russians, set the game to two player and don't bother doing anything with the russians or vice versa.

See Ya, Bye

Mr. Frog

Leon
22-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by The Real Spaceman@Aug 9 2005, 10:55 PM
Anybody know of a game like this but without the competition? I don't care about beating someone, I just like completing each mission type. :ok:
That's easy enough. Set up the game with both sides set to human players, and Exit out of the turns for the side you're not playing. I've used that method many times myself.

22-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by eddie9139@Aug 9 2005, 06:17 AM
I can't get this to work, how did you's?
On my Windows 2000 system, I've had to use DOSBox. I have a guide to setting up BARIS in DOSBox: http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/Run...S_in_DOSBox.txt (http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/Running_BARIS_in_DOSBox.txt).

22-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Aug 2 2005, 09:38 PM
As much as I like to see people being able to distribute the game - our site's policy is simple: We're not allowed to host it - and we won't stand for any links (in that case we could just build a sister site and link to that one for all the games we're not allowed to host). That would just be looking for a loop hole.
I'm sorry to say this Leon - because the site you provided the link for is a great site, but it has a link to a place that offeres the download to this game - therefore your link should be removed (the earlier one made by somebody else even more so).
Um...ok. But, I don't see any kind of link or option to edit the post. :angry:

22-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by mm_pie+Aug 9 2005, 07:55 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mm_pie @ Aug 9 2005, 07:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-win98@May 22 2005, 08:33 AM
russia all of the way. You get cheaper and more reliable parts. I also just tend to find that the odds are better that way. But don't use soyuz whatever you do. I have good results with Kvartet and Voskhod. :w00t: [/b][/quote]
I've had good results with Soyuz. I actually think Soyuz is one thing the Soviet side does really well in this game. But, everyone experiences different results in this game, I've noticed.

I like playing both sides. Each has advantages over the other, and I enjoy bouncing back and forth between them.

CoyoteWilee
31-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I found that getting all three launch pads and a lot of basic satellite launches helped at the beginning w/ the atlas; that helped with the quicker development of the other satellites and capsules. Just at least getting prestige every season will at least help with getting more budget. And trying to do all the big prestige point launches in the fall season vs spring will definitely get you ahead for more megabuck in the next year (per the companion book.)

I did do a moon landing with the shuttle, and it did help that I was able to launch it with just an atlas + booster for basic test. And because it was reusable, I did not have to buy another one for the next season; although R&D cost is a bear with it initially. If you use the titan, then you'll need a joint launch it w/ the b-booster, but at least you can do the eagle module on the other launch. If you use the saturn, then you'll need the b-booster with boosters strapped to the saturn. I suggest this course if you are able to grab early prestige points over your opponent.

Regarding Mr. Frog's leetle cheet (spoiler); if you use it and are REALLY desperate, then you can use it on your opponent's astronauts and make ALL of their skill levels zero across the board. :whistle:

Note on computer opponent: the computer puts astronauts together without matching whether they like each other or not. For the human player, it will really make an advantage to take the extra time to match astronauts who like / not like each other - make sure they like each other as a crew. If you want a reliable astronaut, the most important skill to hone or to have extra training on (extra 3 MB's please) is the capsule skill; that means they know basically everything about the capsule and what to do. All other things will fall into place.

I just found my CD-ROM version of this game and have a Rules of Play book (45 pages.) Since this game just became freeware again, would it be allowable to have this scanned in and made onto an online manual without repurcussions? Probably not allowable, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :tomato:

CoyoteWilee
04-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Additional notes on Buzz Aldrin:

When playing in basic mode vs historical mode, the basic mode evens out the equipment weights and reliably between the russians and usa. On historical mode, the russians can develop equipment more cheaper than the usa, but the usa can r&d the equipment to a higher level than the russians. Take your pick.

win98
27-09-2005, 01:01 AM
I just played this game without researching anything for a joke and i actully launched a b/atlas with the exploer sattilite into orbit and the hardware also powerd on in that step but bossters can deplete the saftey level of your ship so watch out

i can't belive it worked.

i got sooooooo close to winning but i ran out of time because on the last launch date possoible i was gonna launch an apollo capsule for a historical lunar landing but when it was about to land the engines failed.

edu_vinicius
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
:cry: Why no one answer my question?

whats the use of the upgrade path

sorry the enlish Iam from Brazil :eeeeeh: :hairpull: :rifle:

win98
06-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Yes so close to da moon but i crash landed onto the moons serface
nooooooooooooo so it was a draw

Leon
16-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by blacktiger@Feb 14 2005, 09:46 AM
Ehy boy where i can found the answer for the copy protection of the game??
You can find it on my BARIS site: http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/. You should also be able to download the CD-ROM version of the game, which is much improved over the original floppy version.

There's a couple guides on my site that give info and details on a lot of the questions that have been asked here. Read them over if you get a chance--I think you'll find they explain a lot of what's going on and help you get around some of the difficulty of the game.

Cheers! :cheers:

Leon
16-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by edu_vinicius@Oct 1 2005, 12:48 PM
:cry: Why no one answer my question?

whats the use of the upgrade path

sorry the enlish Iam from Brazil :eeeeeh: :hairpull: :rifle:
I'm not sure what you mean by the upgrade path. Are you asking what's the point of fully researching components? Or why go from Mercury/Vostok to Gemini/Voskhod to Apollo/Soyuz? Or are you talking about updates/upgrades to the game itself?

win98
18-11-2005, 02:05 AM
I havent played this game for a while but time to try it on my windowsxp computer and if i have to use dosbox to run it.

Some little cracks to make the game easier Look on the mods section at. Here (http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/)

22-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey since the cd version of the game is freeware could someone tell me where to get it the link on http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/ does note work and for some reason getright said that there was a loggin error but could someone tell me where to get it but the download can not need any extra tools to download

Leon
24-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Jan 22 2006, 02:20 AM
Hey since the cd version of the game is freeware could someone tell me where to get it the link on http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/ does not work and for some reason getright said that there was a login error but could someone tell me where to get it but the download can not need any extra tools to download
Yeah, I just had an IM conversation with Macros2000, who was hosting the link for me. Apparently he was hosting it at work, and he just changed jobs--so that link may be up and down, or it may be down for good now. So now I'll have to look around for another place to host it if I can find one for free.

In the meantime, if you'd like a copy of the game, send me an email at raceintospace@yahoo.com, and I'll transfer it via YouSendIt.

tomf
13-02-2006, 06:47 AM
I think he meant the upgrade patch not path oh and could someone find the manual for the cd version please?

win98
13-02-2006, 04:59 PM
The manuels the same.

tomf
17-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks but do you know if the cd version will run on XP? I am downloading it now but will I have to use DOSBox or something like that?

win98
18-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Probabley

edu_vinicius
27-02-2006, 11:05 AM
The upg. patch what i am saying is that for download here in abandonia

win98
27-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Yip Leopns site had version 1.01 patch here it is only 1.00b.

U-Boat Commander David
19-05-2006, 08:48 PM
1.The link on top of this thread just says "Review", but the game is downloadable again, so is should maybe changed to "Review+Download"... :whistle:

2.What?!? You can replay the Russian (and american) Space Program? I have to get this one! :ok:

VuK
26-06-2006, 11:11 AM
This is rely a GREAT game!!!

Is there a similar game that is newer?

rlbell
26-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I finally started playing the game. Is there a downloadable manual?

Effectively managing your astronauts is not immediately obvious.

My only complaint is that losing takes forever.

How do I set it up to give a beginner a chance?

win98
26-06-2006, 06:53 PM
If you wanna cheatso it's easier to win use the harware and astronaught modding programms on leons site there is a link earlier on in the topic.

30-06-2006, 04:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlbell @ Jun 26 2006, 05:06 PM) 239803</div>
I finally started playing the game. Is there a downloadable manual?

Effectively managing your astronauts is not immediately obvious.

My only complaint is that losing takes forever.

How do I set it up to give a beginner a chance?
[/b]
In my experience, the best way is to play at level 1 for both difficulty and astronauts, and have the computer play at level 3 for both. Also start by playing the Americans, since they have a bit of an advantage overall. You can try the mods on my site, but I've heard complaints that some of them don't work right. They might be really useful, or they may cause trouble. Caveat emptor, so to speak. ;-)

You can download the manual from here (http://geocities.com/navarre840/Manual_updated.zip). If you're interested in the BARIS Companion, send me an email at raceintospace@yahoo.com.

Leon

rlbell
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
I seem to have gotten the hang of managing astronauts.

Now my problem is that every attempt at a B-level duration rolls 100 for the launch phase. It happens when I reload the game, or scrub the mission and try again later.

rlbell
09-07-2006, 04:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rlbell @ Jul 6 2006, 10:11 PM) 242012</div>
I seem to have gotten the hang of managing astronauts.

Now my problem is that every attempt at a B-level duration rolls 100 for the launch phase. It happens when I reload the game, or scrub the mission and try again later.
[/b]

Inow understand what the copy protection does. It does not prevent you from playing, it prevents you from winning.

BarisWiki
09-07-2006, 04:23 PM
For anyone who's interested, with help from mhinters on The Space Race forum I've created a wiki page for BARIS. Its main feature is that it holds troubleshooting information for BARIS. It also has a central list of enhancement requests that developers can look to when writing a spinoff or sequel (or even a patch). It also has some other odds and ends that you might find useful. And if you have an enhancement request you'd like to add, or you know a troubleshooting solution for BARIS, add it to the Submissions page.

BarisWiki (http://www.baris-online.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)

Leon

BARIS rulz!!
19-07-2006, 05:27 AM
I managed to load and play BARIS twice but then every time I loaded the game DOS quickly flashed up and said "Divide Error" then closed. I re-extracted but it still didn't work. :wallbash:

What should I do?

The Fifth Horseman
19-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Simple. Use DosBox.

21-07-2006, 05:43 AM
*sigh* Ill have to try again... Thanks

09-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Got this a couple days ago...great game, although too difficult for its own good (and I got the 1.01 patch from the above-mentioned website to try to make it easier).

I can't seem, though, to outpace the Soviets at all, and *still* suffer from many more catastrophic failures than I think I should. In my second full game, I was in decent shape as the US, though still behind the CPU; having already had one failure in Gemini, I researched it back up (thanks for the only -50 safety penalty in 1.01, though trying a USSR game on difficulty 1, an early failure in Vostok sent its safety rating back to 6%) and was running my first Duration B and a Manned Orbital EVA in one season. The Duration B was lucky; -two- missed checks--one in reentry and one on recovery--didn't cause death or injury (defective heat shield held, and merely off course on landing); the EVA mission sank on recovery, killing See and injuring Armstrong.

That wasn't even the worst I did: first game, US, diff 1, 1.00b, 9 deaths (1 Mercury sank, 1 Mercury burn up in reentry, 1 Gemini stranded in space due to fuel tank explosion, 1 Gemini destroyed on launch pad, 1 Apollo hard impact on landing). Naturally, both times, the Russians won, once with a Soyuz landing in 1971, once with a JT Voshkod EOR landing in 1973. Still, once of these days I'll win, I think.

Guest_noname_*
10-08-2006, 09:28 PM
[size=7][color=#000000]guys this is a very good game, but how the hell i've got to do to make a sucessfull duration b, c, d mission, please explain carefully, sorry about the english, but i speak spanish bye

laiocfar
15-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I found some problems with the codes. It was that some codes are wrong but no for many. So if the code isnt accepted, you must try with the next number.
Example:
Cosmonaut A --- according to code´s file he eas in space 12 days + 13 hs ---- Code for the game 13 days.
Cosmonaut B --- according to code´s file he eas in space 12 days + 13 hs ---- Code for the game 14 days.
Cosmonaut C --- according to code´s file he eas in space 12 days + 13 hs ---- Code for the game 11 days.

Well right codes works in most of cases, this should work for the rest. Even if some code is completly different to the one in the code´s file, we got covered 99% of codes.

Adam
17-08-2006, 05:02 AM
Hi there,

I downloaded this game recently i played it when i was younger and its stellar but for some reason the sound wont work, and i loved the sound, if anyone can tell me how to get the sound to work that would be awesome. Ive tried most combinations for the sound setup.

thanks alot!!!!

win98
17-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Try using dos box or vdm sound if you run windows XP.

The Fifth Horseman
07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
You can download DosBox here (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1)

09-09-2006, 06:54 PM
VDMsound doesn't work on BARIS , if you're using the CD Version like me :(

win98
09-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I heard that vdm sound dosent work with the cd version of baris. Now I know the rumour is true

Tachyon
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Oh yes, it's quite true! But, the good news is that it runs with DosBox , suggest u use D-FEND as well.
Further information on how to do this @ Leon's B.A.R.I.S page (http://www.geocities.com/raceintospace/)

Desperate_Player
03-12-2006, 01:41 PM
:sos:

I got the following problem: the game starts fine, I can set my game up and all, but after the newsspeaker anounces me as new chief of the spaceflight-programm, the game crashes very strange: In front, the newsspeaker appears again, however the tabs on the lower and upper end of the screen (budget, date..) appear, the spaceport in the background appears partially and flickery, but I can call up the help-screen (the right-click-thingy) :wallbash: :angry:
yes, I use DOS-Box, 0.65

Insert random word here
18-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Every time i try to do anything besides delete my zipped folder, it sas its corrupted, and i really want to play this game! Am i doing something wrong?

The Fifth Horseman
18-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Did you try using a different archiver to unpack the game?

spatha
21-12-2006, 06:31 PM
hi,

i've installed the game and it is running ( win xp) but the video clips are playing fast forward, at double or triple speed. is there anything i can do about that ?
thanks in advance

The Fifth Horseman
22-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I strongly suggest you use DosBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net) to run the game.
You can download it here (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1).

spatha
22-12-2006, 08:35 PM
hi again,

I do use DosBox plus DFend and followed instructions, everything is working fine except the videos are playing too fast, although if I click on "play full" when starting a mission it plays at normal speed but every 2nd pixel is black then :)

spatha
22-12-2006, 08:39 PM
... meaning the videos play normal speed when watching a mission full screen but all other, smaller vids, like a prestige first video of the AI or training center are double/triple speed

sorry for the double post, couldn't find a Edit button

laiocfar
30-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Reduce CPU speed when videos or avoid the videos option. Try also all the unlogical solution as shout to the monitor, kick the pc, reinstall the game and try in pure DOS.

damfino
05-02-2007, 09:53 AM
When I was much younger, I bought a magazine with a demo of this game. I'd heard it was good. It looked good. But the ruddy demo wouldn't work.

So I come here... and yay! I found it!

But, having loaded it, if I click on any building, when I click on 'continue', it crashes. I'm told DOSBox can't continue.

I think I'm cursed.

I'm using DOSBox 0.65 and D-Fend v2... has anyone any idea what's wrong?

The Fifth Horseman
05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes. Try running the game without D-Fend. From what I hear, it tends to cause crashes and instability in a number of games.

damfino
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Feb 5 2007, 12:45 PM) 278091</div>
Yes. Try running the game without D-Fend. From what I hear, it tends to cause crashes and instability in a number of games.
[/b]

Cheers. Seems to work fine now. :ok:

win98
05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah I never use Defend as it seems to stop some games working.

cartmancakes
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I've noticed someone here asking about difficulty levels. Let me clarify how it works.

For the game level, every level is a penalty on the safety. So, if you are on level 3, then there is a 3 point penalty for every step. Level 1 has no penalty. Level 2 is somewhere in between. I can't remember exactly what.

The astronaut level just displays whether the astronauts like each other or not. On level 3, you won't know. Try it out.

thorsteddk
24-03-2008, 03:06 PM
this is a cool game!! :ok:

hi i have been playing buzz for a while but somehow when i have played it for like 30 min the sreen goes black i maybe think it is where the questioens should show up but it dosent and how do i beat the computer please mail me at [BEEEP]@hotmail.com

The Fifth Horseman
24-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Are you playing the game in DOSBox? If not, then this is the most likely reason for the crashes.

BTW, posting e-mail adresses on the forum is against the rules. K THX.

phuah
28-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I already loss the game few years ago when my HDD was damage.. So how can i get the game back? any webside that can download it?

03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Just look it up on the internet. Does anyone know of a way to make the game go on forever? I keep running into situations when I'm doing really well only to run into endgame.

Dude123123
03-04-2009, 07:51 PM
What does LM stand for?

Luchsen
04-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Lunar Module (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Module)?

Canek
06-04-2009, 04:24 AM
This is really hard. After my XXth attempt, I got beaten by the soviets.

>.<

Unregistereddude
07-04-2009, 08:35 PM
How can I do docking missions? Can`t buy any docking module... Or do I have to do some mission first? It always tells me: You haven't developed a docking program. Anyone knows what I have to do?
btw: great game!

El Quia
08-04-2009, 06:19 PM
This game demonstrate that the moon landing was fake!!! :P

I played it with a lot with a friend and we both sucked. I think I have killed more than half of the soviet astronauts, jo.

jefftest
31-05-2009, 05:21 AM
To buy the docking module, you have to go into "misc" equipment in the purchase screens. Docking module doesn't ever show up on the R&D screen - you have to run unmanned docking missions then manned docking missions to get the percentage up. I usually do about 6-8 unmanned with gemini before trying manned.

And yea, I killed a lot of astronauts sometimes. It was worst in the floppy version but even recently in the CD version I killed 15 yesterday - and still barely won landing in 1974 :D

laiocfar
03-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I think that a manned docking mission may got a higher chance of success if you got the right cosmonaut. Also a fail in docking doesnt becomes a critical failure that kills all the crew. It mostly becomes a lost module and a partial failure for the prestige at mission end.

----> Hoss11 <----
16-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Whats up with the copy protection?
I get why they have it but they should've made a better way of confiming it, Like having the ACTUAL ANSWER to the question in the copy protection?!
Anyway now I have to reload the game since I didn't save for a couple seasons...
Aw well.
Nice game tho.

dustkiller
13-07-2009, 07:30 PM
what was wrong...? i have made an u. orbital (or the other dockings) docking, and i want to made it ready in the vehicle assembly, the pc tells me have developed not an docking programm, what is my mistake?...i read, u cant buy an docking module ....

pleas help

Sarin
12-08-2009, 07:08 PM
@dustkiller...the answer is just a few post up.

Anyway...I found some aspects of game very frustrating. Once, I just couldn't find ANYONE who'd get along with Armstrong. Keeping astronauts happy seems one of most difficult task ingame.

And a little question...I had been ordered to launch a spysat, how do I do that? It was in the news...I tried scheduling orbital sat mission ASAP, but it looked like I'm launching a normal satelite.

oozubek
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
either I'm doing smth wrong or missing smth. Yet, I can not plan docking missions. (I can buy docking modules only)

can you please explain the steps to plan a dock mission as if explaining to a retarded :? :)

nikakd
16-08-2010, 02:09 PM
This game is great, but there is an open source version for windows, linux and mac in http://sourceforge.net/projects/raceintospace/
It also has some new features and bug corrections

Unregistered999
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/183)
how do you install the download without the disk

The Fifth Horseman
11-12-2010, 06:25 PM
It's already installed, you just unpack it and run the game.

Unregistered999
15-12-2010, 01:41 AM
how do you install it i downloaded it but it don't install.

DarthHelmet86
15-12-2010, 03:32 AM
There is a post right above yours that gives you the answer...It is already installed you just run the game. More than likely in Dosbox unless this is a Windows game.

peyre
20-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, it's a DOS game. However, Abandonia doesn't have the latest patch for the floppy version. The patch offered here is version 1.00b; there's a more recent one, v.1.01. You can download that from the Docking Module (http://peyre.byethost8.com/BARIS/index.htm).

Also, there's now an even better option: the game's been ported to Windows (also Linux and Mac). The port, called Race Into Space, is like the CD version (v.1.1), but even better--a number of enhancement requests have been implemented. You can find it on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/raceintospace/).

_r.u.s.s.
22-12-2010, 06:59 PM
thanks for the info, i added the 1.01 patch to the site, with you as a contributor

peyre
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks!

peyre
18-02-2011, 11:59 PM
BTW, the Docking Module has moved to:

http://peyre.byethost8.com/BARIS/index.htm

and now includes a way to download the CD version (which is a little convoluted but should hopefully work for most people, and should stay up indefinitely).

greenalien
16-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Sup guys, thought I might mention this: Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space is now available as a freeware game available for windows. Complete with videos and all the jazz. :smile2:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/raceintospace/

The Fifth Horseman
16-10-2011, 09:04 PM
When and where was the source code released? Was it reverse engineered? Or is this just a remake?

Foxmumulder
25-02-2012, 10:16 PM
At one time there was a really cool game editor for this game it allowed you to add astronauts names, change the safety numbers and change the cost to buy items, Does anyone know where i can still find this trainer/editor?

peyre
20-12-2019, 10:05 PM
When and where was the source code released? Was it reverse engineered? Or is this just a remake?
Sorry, it's been a long time since I've dropped by here. Race Into Space, the open-source version, is the actual original source code. The copyright reverted to its creators (Fritz Bronner and Mike McCarty), and they released it to open source. Version .4.7 brought the game up to about where the CD version had been; since then we've been making various improvements to it (you can now choose who's the first man on the Moon, you don't have to assign a backup crew if you don't want to, etc.).

Since the 1.1 release, the code has been brought over to GitHub and we've picked up developments again; we're hoping for a release of version 1.2 this coming year. https://github.com/raceintospace/raceintospace

peyre
20-12-2019, 10:06 PM
At one time there was a really cool game editor for this game it allowed you to add astronauts names, change the safety numbers and change the cost to buy items, Does anyone know where i can still find this trainer/editor?
That I'm not sure of, Foxmumulder. If you're not finding what you're looking for on the Docking Module, I don't have any suggestions for you offhand.