PDA

View Full Version : Tex Murphy

rallier
12-08-2004, 02:12 PM
I liked the Tex murphy series....especially the last of the series that i played back in 94 (there were more after) but i am reffering to Under a killing moon ;) that game was awesome, Great videos, many puzzles to be solved....i used to have it, the original one.......but i lost it :( it's a game that could outmatch any modern one, in all terms!!!! even in graphics though it lack the anti-aliasation modern technology (but heck i've never tried it with a good graphics card....thing could be different now that i own one ;) )
the problem though it's that it was big...... 4 cd's in 94'...only modern games can rack up to 4 cd's.....so i guess it's difficult to see it around here anytime soon.....

Stroggy
12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
I still have Tex Murphy:the Pandora Directive
never made it past Area 51

xndr2181
13-08-2004, 04:43 AM
hmm, I'll bite. What was Tex Murphy like? Was it an Adventure type game?
-Sean

FreeFreddy
13-08-2004, 07:42 AM
I for my part never heard of that game... :roll:

Stroggy
13-08-2004, 10:27 AM
hmm, I'll bite. What was Tex Murphy like? Was it an Adventure type game?
-Sean
Tex Murphy is a kind of "film noir" detective/adventure/puzzle game set in the near future.
Your character is 'Tex' Murphy. A detective who gets involved in all kinds of strange mysteries.
And when he isn't solving mysteries he lives in a rundown flat and spies on his neighbours with a telescope :)

anyway, The Pandora Directive was the second last game in the Tex Murphy series.
It was a kind of fmv game... but you would walk around in this pseudo 3d world (meaning the sets were 3d, but a lot of objects like streetsigns, characters and dumpsters were just 2d images, rotating so they always face you... which was kind of creepy.

So in Pandora Directive you would have to press the space button to move around, and press the space button again to stand still.
while in stand-still mode you could examine things in your viewscreen or use them.
This added a whole new level of both interactivity and frustration.
since often you would have to crouch in walk-mode to be able to find a clue under a bed and stuff like that.

The puzzles (in Pandora directive) ranged from simple little puzzles where you had to solve a little puzzle in order to get into the Funhouse to walking around with a kind of metal detector around the sewers in order to find a bomb... which you then had to disarm... by solving a puzzle.

Think Gabriel Knight 3 in first person mixed with an old fmv game, with an older 3d engine, set in San Fransisco in the year 2011

http://www.adventurecollective.com/screenshots/pand04.gif
older games had about the same graphics (dark futuristic film noir) but you couldn't move around

Durak
13-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Oooh, so you stood still and waited for clues to come to you? Sounds interesting. :wink:

Stroggy
13-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Oooh, so you stood still and waited for clues to come to you? *Sounds interesting. :wink:
ehm... no :?

Durak
13-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Heh, well I was just joking and refering to this comment.

older games had about the same graphics (dark futuristic film noir) but you couldn't move around

Stroggy
13-08-2004, 01:27 PM
very funny... :?

Durak
13-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks, I try to pick out the fine points. :wink:

rallier
13-08-2004, 08:50 PM
there r also more tex murphy, like the overseer.... though i only played 2,3 and 4
2,3 is a standard adventure game which is in 2D
4 (under a killing moon) looks a lot with pandora directive and there is also some arcade sections (hiding from killer robots) i didn't found the movement difficult only finding some clues and combining some stuff......quite logical game though......although there are some a little bit irrational things ;).... the one i remember well cause i grew old until finding that shit was with a hawk holding a ring....it was too far to see that it was holding something...... u had to place an aluminium foil to attract the hawk and leave you the ring in exchange for the aluminium foil ;)
for the non english people there is some difficulty with dialogs because u have 3 - 4 choices which do not tell you exactly what u will say, just the attitude such as fraternise....
Still i consider it a great game!

xndr2181
14-08-2004, 04:04 AM
wow, the game sounds pretty sweet. I'm getting the image of a Snatcher/Rise of the Dragon type game, would I be somewhat right about that? Or way off?
-Sean

Stroggy
14-08-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't know, I haven't played Snatcher or Rise of the Dragon.

Its basically an Xfiles-plot (with a good dose of government coverups and secret government groups) meets "filme noir" (like Casablanca, only sleazier)

Like in pandora Directive you live next to a 'nightclub' called "The Pink Flamingo", and at one point you must protect one of its 'dancers'

I didn't play it till the end (I would either die and notice that I forgot to save. or it would crash and corrupt all savegames)
I remember you can die easily from a certain point on.
Like at one point you must take down a assassin on the rooftops.
So you must sneak around the rooftops and try and approach him at the right time from the right angle.
Or at one point you infiltrate a secret government database of some sort.
The alarm goes off. You take too much time in escaping: you die
You take the wrong escaperoute: you die.
Same with area 51. there is an alien loose and its after you, so you must quickly get through the maze of subterran hallways and collect the parts needed to activate the machine which can trap the alien... or else you die.

Furthest I ever got in the game was to the room with the activated machine for trapping the alien. something went wrong, I died, and I didn't want to start all over again.

I'm not sure if the same goes for the first Tex Murphy games. I've played the first one (which feels a lot like the later games) but the dialogues were quite odd at times (not to mention boring)
In Pandora Directive you usually got a choice in dialogue options.
At some points the dialogue options could only make or break your relationship. While at other times it meant the difference between getting an answer like this:
"I am going to do you the greatest favour you've ever gotten; I'm going to let you live", to this: "you like this tie? Lets try it out on you" (they strangle you with it :wink: )

xndr2181
14-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Hmm, sounds like a lot of fun, at least the Pandora one. The Area 51 sounds like I wouldn't like it, cause I hate timed games...Might be fun to upload these games at some point...if they're abondonware...
-Sean

rallier
20-08-2004, 06:42 PM
i think only up to Tex Murphy 3 are abandonware
The rest are certainly not.
Besides Tex Murphy 4: Under a killing Moon
is 4 cd's, too big to upload it, unless u've got a T-line!

JoA
25-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Have to say the Tex Murphy games are among my favourites - but I do prefer Pandora Directive to UAKM. Just replayed Pandora a few months ago, also played the download of Martian Memorandum two or three weeks ago (can I say here that it's available on HOTU?) Was going to play Mean Streets as well but I'm not too keen on those old types of adventures where you have to type in all the commands! Unfortunately I missed out on buying Overseer when it was available in Australia some years ago but I understand it's basically a remake of Mean Streets - updated obviously!