PDA

View Full Version : Electro And Synth Music (apb And Others)

WolverineDK
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
well what electro bands do you like ?

my self, I like Apoptygma Berzerk, Red Flag (although i would call them more synth than electro) Colony 5 , Portland (a Danish electro band) and many others(De/Vision and Wolfsheim) so then, tell what electro bands you like

Because I like many other than them I have mentioned

just a little tidbit Kraftwerk are those people I would call the "founding fathers" of the electronic scene there is today.

BeefontheBone
03-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Yay! I'd say Depeche Mode, and then plenty of electroclash bands (The Faint, Fischerspooner et al.) and some French electropop - Air, Client, Les Rythmes Digitales, Felix Da Housecat.

omg
03-07-2005, 09:48 PM
@beef: agreed. all way cool.
altho i never know when something stops being electro and becomes something else ...
i hate musicall definitions.
would you count the eurythmics as electro? cuz in my vinyl collection they are in the electro section. then again so are joy division. (is that maybe electro clash then ie: guitars synths an minimall beats. gaahh)
where would you classify vangellis?
out from all the modern crowd fisherspooner are my faves at the mo.

BeefontheBone
03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Not a vangelis fan - the Eurythmics have done a variety of things, though their best stuff must count as electro. Joy Division were too depressing to count as electro :D - though they're in the same part of my CD collection as Depeche Mode, but only because they naturally go with New Order, for obvious reasons. I've run out of space anyway and need to reorganise - I have The Cure, Morrisey and Beck in the same place for some reason, and Jurassic 5 next to some classical CDs.

WolverineDK
03-07-2005, 11:00 PM
De/Vision is not Joy Devision(of what i know off)

http://www.devision.de/

omg
03-07-2005, 11:15 PM
yes joy division is an entirely diffrent band of frollicking popsters .... :D
and yah a lot of the eurythmics stuff is electro then. some of it sounds like techno with annie lennox singing over it. probably why the hardcore crowd kept sampling her , then getting sued for it. (utah saints are a prime example ...)

WolverineDK
04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
hmmm what I see as electro today is really synth accompanied with guitars and sometimes even drums. and bands that comes to mind is Portland(www.portlandweb.dk) Apoptygma Berzerk, Colony 5 .De/Vision calls themself progressive pop now , but started as a synthpop band. and Depeche Mode is really their own style today

but hey what about Namnambulu ?

and many of the other cool german bands like Wolfsheim and Melotron and VNV Nation and Assemblage 23 ? hell I think I will get digging when I get the time since there are so many cool bands in this "genre"

omg
04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
keep coming with these german electro bands. im googling evry one that you put up :ok:

WolverineDK
04-07-2005, 03:17 PM
FUNKER VOIGT, Front 242

and Project Pitchfork , MESH , Camouflage, T.O.Y. (Trademark Of Youth aka former Evils Toy.)

but Red Flag is no more because one of the two brothers died last year :-/

and Apoptygma(yeah it is Apoptygma Berzerk but many calls them Apoptygma) has remixed other artists

omg
04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
out from all of the ones you have suggested i like assembledge 23 the most. definatly buying there cd.
for loads of free music check out new order online (http://www.neworderonline.com/Default.aspx) is there official site and i was amazed at the amount of free content.

Chuck the plant
04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Zoot Woman
Devo
'Nuff said :max:

Astral
04-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Infected Mushroom, Thievery Corporation, Johnny Hates Jazz :whistle:

:D :D :D

omg
04-07-2005, 06:52 PM
imfected mushroom rule!

WolverineDK
04-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Beef: I am a big Depeche Mode fan and is a member of www.depechemodeforum.com

Spoonman
13-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Depeche Mode, Air, Ladytron, Basement Jaxx, Chemical Brothers, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Photek, Future Sound of London, Thievery Corporation, Lamb, Moloko, Red Snapper, Underworld, Märtini Brös, Leftfield, The Hacker, Ozric Tentacles

Especially Kraftwerk, Märtini Brös and Ladytron are very German(-like), lovely :)

Chuck the plant
13-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Did anyone mention Jeans Team? :D

And "Welle Erdball" rules... Almost EVERYBODY who makes music on a SID RULES!!! :ok: :D

Titan
14-07-2005, 12:21 AM
If you like SID-music, take a look at www.slayradio.org .

They play ONLY c-64 and Amiga music (remixes)

vendetta7
14-07-2005, 09:45 AM
one of my favourite german electronic bands:
Mouse On Mars (http://www.mouseonmars.com/). though the website is quite nice and funny, you'd probably get more informed on the unofficial MoM homepage (http://www.paradical.de/index.html)

Spoonman
14-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by vendetta7@Jul 14 2005, 09:45 AM
Mouse On Mars (http://www.mouseonmars.com/). though the website is quite nice and funny, you'd probably get more informed on the unofficial MoM homepage (http://www.paradical.de/index.html)
Hmm it sounds okay, but a bit all-of-the-same.

Gonna try some infected mushrooms now :crazy:

WolverineDK
15-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Chuck: I think you are right with Wolfsheim, it is not electro, it is synthpop :)

That reminds me very much of some of the songs DE/VISION has made.

And D/V calls their music for progressive pop, what ever that means :)

Chuck the plant
15-07-2005, 01:11 AM
@ Wolverine: I don't really care what certain bands like to label themselves (most of that is really just elitist bullsh*t anyway, alomg the lines of "oooh, look at us, we're not like any other band, we're so unique and stuff" - "Yeah? But you sound like any other electro-band" - "But we make progressive pop"... LOL ) nor do i care too much for the "smallest possible categorie" when naming a musical style. If music is largely electronically made, it's "electro" in my book (of course there are certain exceptions like Techno which indeed is a category of its own), so Wolfsheim vlearly fall under "electro" for me... I just don't think they're "great" in any regard, that's what I meant ;)

Did I mention DEVO? (I know I did, you just can't mention them too often :D ;) )

WolverineDK
15-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jul 15 2005, 01:11 AM
Did I mention DEVO? (I know I did, you just can't mention them too often :D ;) )
Did i mention i like the scene of music ? *headbangs to Namnambulu* :)

Indignus IV
17-07-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm not sure what is electro and what is not.......

Eurythmics, yes

Devo, verygood, yes

Dead or Alive? nah, but definitely very electric sounding.

You spin me right round, baby, right round......... :D

TheGiantMidgit
24-07-2005, 12:34 AM
www.slabco.com check out the free-eps.

omg
25-07-2005, 11:30 AM
ok this isnt about just electro it would seem but music that is made electronically...
coolness.
one i havnt seen mentioned by anyone is sheep on drugs, and they got a new album coming out soon which should be pretty mental.
and i cant get enought of good old richard james...

WolverineDK
10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
The Cruxshadows, are great too :), and damn all this electro music makes me dance in my computer chair :) :ok: :ok: :ok: :max: :max:

WolverineDK
15-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Hmmm if you are into P2P networks, then search for papa pop on the piratebay, or The Synthetic Music Collection. Those collections are great. When it comes to finding cool synth/electro etc. music

Gelfo
24-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Spoonman@Jul 13 2005, 07:33 PM
Depeche Mode, Air, Ladytron, Basement Jaxx, Chemical Brothers, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Photek, Future Sound of London, Thievery Corporation, Lamb, Moloko, Red Snapper, Underworld, Märtini Brös, Leftfield, The Hacker, Ozric Tentacles

Yeah I like most of the bands there, only discovered Ozric Tentacles a few months ago, *but they're british and have been knocking around for years

I also dig stuff like.. Goldfrapp, Boards Of Canada, Gary Numan, cLOUDDEAD, Odd Nosdam, Boombip, Prefuse 73, Amon Tobin, Four Tet ..

This genre is a bit vague

*edit

omg
24-04-2006, 02:46 PM
ive seen the ozrics a few times at free festivals. they rock live :ok: well if an electronic band play out well live what do you say? they electro'd?

i would love to catch dj hell this year but will have to go to europe for that :eeeeeh:

BeefontheBone
24-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Ozrics live? *is jealous*

I too only discovered them recently, after getting Pungent Effulgent second hand and cheap because the cover's groovy, and I love 'em (in a slightly-ashamed-to-admit-it-since-they're-so-uncool kind of way) - Curious Corn rocks :)

omg
24-04-2006, 09:14 PM
i saw them at a party in 1995, at the strawberry fair in.. dangit cannot remember the year. having said that i was trashed. they are awesome live tho. and there gear is just astronomically sweet. worth seeing what they are up to this year *runs to google*

thank you google. blessed is thou name

ozrics line up for the year so far

28/04/06 - Barby Club, Tel Aviv, Israel

24/05/06 - Benedicts Opera House, Bournemouth, England

10/06/06 - Sziget Sound Fest, Bari, Italy

21/06/06 - B.B. King Blues Club, New York, NY
22/06/06 - State Theatre, Falls Church, VA
23/06/06 - Recher Theatre, Townson, MD
24/06/06 - NEARfest, Zollner Arts Center, Bethlehem, PA

22/07/06 - Sonica Festival - Bolsena Lake - Italy

check for updates here
ozric's gig list (http://www.ozrics.com/gigs.htm)

i want to catch some gigilos this year, dj hell, fisherspooner, miss kitten and the hacker, any of those. but havnt found any u.k dates for any of them this year yet. damit. its all in europe.

Nick
25-04-2006, 08:00 AM
What - Space of course and Janne Michelle Jarre (if I have written right).

omg
27-04-2006, 02:10 AM
jarres a bit plinky for me. the lasershows were awesome though.

TheGiantMidgit
27-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by vendetta7@Jul 14 2005, 09:45 AM
Nice. They're awesome. Very BoC, I always found.... and yea, infected mushroom is good too... (in reference to the guy who replied below this post)

omg
05-05-2006, 03:46 PM
bust a move is my fave infected mushroom tune.

WolverineDK
26-05-2006, 03:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nick @ Apr 25 2006, 08:00 AM) 226053</div>
What - Space of course and Janne Michelle Jarre (if I have written right).
[/b]

Jean Michel Jarre :)

Heck all three pages, and I have forgotten Pet Shop Boys :D

WolverineDK
11-09-2006, 05:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type...ry=0&page=1 (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=Synthpop&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=1)

sorry to bump my own old thread, but since I looked through youtube, then I suddenly found even more lovely synthpop bands, I hadn´t heard of, like the Polish synthband Minerve, and well Portlands Stalking And Free is there too. And Wave In Hand is great synthpop too. Well anyway enjoy :) Infernosounds are awesome too :) well any how dig in :) :D

Mighty Midget
12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
The only bands I heard using synths, that I really like are LARD and Ministry (post-pop). I guess I'm too much of a guitar guy :tomato:

Horoma
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
As I don't like classifying music genres, I'll just stick to artists where synths form an important part of their sound. I wouldn't really classify most of this as electro or synth-pop. I tried to stick to the most important, but even then, it's still a long list. I just couldn't skip any of these bands. :whistling:

Aphex Twin
Bisk
Cabaret Voltaire
C-Tec
Current 93
Dead Can Dance
Depeche Mode
Einstürzende Neubauten
Fad Gadget
Front 242
Front Line Assembly
Gary Numan
Herbie Hancock
Hula
Kraftwerk
Male Or Female
Meat Beat Manifesto
Mentallo & The Fixer
Nitzer Ebb
Nouvelles Lectures Cosmopolites
Nurse With Wound
Orbital
Skinny Puppy
Test Dept.
The Black Dog
The Legendary Pink Dots
The Shamen (not all good stuff though)
The Tear Garden
Trisomie 21
Tuxedomoon

Treewyrm
12-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Hehe, yea... Front Line Assembly pwns...

Currently listening Heimataerde, a rather interesting german project featuring cold old-school EBM with distorted vocals while on the other hand it have lots of medieval samples and sampled choirs. Strange mixture but sounds great. Dark and electronically brutal, reminds me of Hocico. I imagine what could it be if Heimataerde would play with Corvus Corax together live.

Horoma
13-09-2006, 09:22 AM
If you like FLA, I think you would also appreciate Mentallo & The Fixer. They're really great, but I must warn you that they also made some mediocre stuff. A good start might be Revelations 23 (http://www.discogs.com/release/50747) or Return to Grimpen Ward (http://www.discogs.com/release/193674). My personal favourites are generally less appreciated : Algorythum (http://www.discogs.com/release/363935) and Systematik Ruin (http://www.discogs.com/release/490825). Look who added that last one. :sneaky:

Heretic
16-09-2006, 02:26 AM
I dont particularly know where these bands fall 'genre wise' nor do i have any definitve idea where, (a rough idea maybe) where Idm ends and Ebm begins, Where Electro begins ends and Synthpop begins etc etc, but a few i enjoy of this ilk i suppose are,,

Diary Of Dreams
Combichrist
VNV Nation
Assemblage 23
Snog
Wumpscut
Covenant
Frozen Autumn
God Module
Razed in Black
Velvet Acid Christ

Lots more that i cant name of the top of my head, i guess some of these may fall into Goth or Darkwave genres, for those who know alot about these styles, please excuse my ignorance :P

Morrin
16-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Ladytron
The Knife
Apoptygma Berzerk

Those are the first ones that come to my mind

WolverineDK
30-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Joachim Witt is also in this genre, since I would call Die Flut synth, in some way or another :)

RedHeadSebbe
30-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Combichrist (Duh...)
Glis
Grendel
Icon of Coil
VNV Nation
And some other similar music ^^

Treewyrm
30-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Hocico
Front Line Assembly
Noise Unit
Grendel ;-)
Heimataerde (if you like music above you'd better listen this, mindblowing stuff)

RedHeadSebbe
30-11-2006, 10:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treewyrm @ Nov 30 2006, 12:07 PM) 269404</div>
Hocico
Front Line Assembly
Noise Unit
Grendel ;-)
Heimataerde (if you like music above you'd better listen this, mindblowing stuff)
[/b]
Will do ^^ Maybe I will like something....;) (I need lyrics in the songs, otherwise I get bored)

Morrin
05-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Here are some I like to listen (some I mentioned before)

Ladytron
The Knife
Chicks on speed
Hot chip
Miss Kittin & the hacker
The postal service
Fischerspooner

WolverineDK
11-12-2006, 01:34 PM
aaah New Order = the remaining people from Joy Division :)

Lozzenger2
12-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Slagsmålsklubben anyone? :whistling:

WolverineDK
13-12-2006, 03:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Loz @ Dec 12 2006, 02:14 PM) 271371</div>
Slagsmålsklubben anyone? :whistling:
[/b]

Oh yeah :D and Page too :)

Mike_G
20-12-2006, 02:33 AM
Vitallic? I like some of their stuff Thats electro right? My friends into electro but some of his stuffs quite wierd and not too nice in my opinoin.

Me sez you should check out some Plump DJs, Stereo 8, Freestylers. Breakbeat with synth & stuff. Them things I like best :ok:

xonic64
20-12-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm a major eløectro-fan and I love electronic music. My favourite artists and bands are:

Apoptygma Berzerk
Depeche Mode
Kraftwerk
Gary Numan
Code 64
Colony 5
Syrian
The Knife
The Prodigy
VNV Nation
Bomfunk MC's
Icon of Coil
Ugress

There may be plenty more, but that's the ones I can remember.

RedHeadSebbe
15-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Neon Synthesis
Collide
Zombie Girl

Some new bands I got the likes for :)

WolverineDK
15-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh my goodness, "my" thread is still active. And strong :) how lovely :)

Some time ago, I downloaded the complete papa pop combilation, and damn there was alot of cool music in that package :)

And the cool part is this. The complete Papa pop combilation is still being seeded :)

RedHeadSebbe
15-02-2007, 05:40 PM
What are you trying to tell us? :P

Saphire
15-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I prefer more current music, like Ebm and Industrial. Frontline Assembly already has been named, I like this one, but there are many good musicians / bands too that are mostly unknown, for example Selen (his music can be found here (http://www.myownmusic.de/artistpage_info.php?artist_id=10591) for free listening and download).

RedHeadSebbe
16-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Ooooh...Not to mentinon Playbahnosh :D His music is good :)

Titan
25-02-2007, 03:54 AM
Anyone listend to The Orb then?
That's some seriously good electro/house/ambient-music.
"Fluffy little clouds" must be a classic.
Soft... downtempo.... good electronica basicly.

_r.u.s.s.
25-02-2007, 12:13 PM
damn, 4 pages and nobody even havnt mentioned Nine Inch Nails?
does industrial count? :unsure:

RedHeadSebbe
26-02-2007, 09:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Feb 25 2007, 02:13 PM) 280881</div>
damn, 4 pages and nobody even havnt mentioned Nine Inch Nails?
does industrial count? :unsure:
[/b]

And my posts did not count???

They are all, atleast 90%, Industrial

WolverineDK
27-02-2007, 04:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedHeadSebbe @ Feb 15 2007, 07:40 PM) 279419</div>
What are you trying to tell us? :P
[/b]

I am thrilled that this thread is alive and well, I think it is a smashing great thing :)

BeefontheBone
11-03-2007, 12:09 AM
That's some seriously good electro/house/ambient-music.
"Fluffy little clouds" must be a classic.[/b]
You don't see that any more - you might see that in the desert.

I bought The Looks by MSTRKRFT (who seem to be missing some vowels) the other day - pretty good; it's like someone put Destroy Rock & Roll in a blender with Devin Dazzle & The Neon Fever.

Also, Hot Chip will break your legs.

ado
11-03-2007, 09:51 PM
i love "little fluffy clouds"! great song.
i don't want to repeat what's been said already, and many great bands have been named on the past pages... and i like much of what's been mentioned :) does anybody here like 808 state though? a bit older, but they were the pioneers of acid house. so a bit trippy, but all the more fun! :D

BeefontheBone
16-03-2007, 09:46 PM
I have a couple of albums (whose names escape me). I always get a giggle out of them, because a rather odd bloke I went to school with who was into that sort of thing (which I wasn't at the time) used to say their name in way that always made me laugh.

rupertbear
20-03-2007, 01:34 AM
808 state have done some great remixes of various tracks over the years. fischerspooner i think are a great commercial electro group along with the faint & that adam freeland track in particular...! apoptygma berzerk are more inconsistent, i feel they have some great tracks then some really bad ones as well. Jacques lu cont/thin white duke... now he's someone i can listen to all day, great tunes, production and remixes of songs...

not sure if you can include them but i'm always been a fan of goldfrapp from the outset, great electro-pop...

hmm let's think of some more...

ado
20-03-2007, 04:43 PM
i fell in love with ladytron...

anyway... goldfrapp's "felt mountain" is beautiful, i recommend that album to everyone who can appreciate some slow beauty :)