PDA

View Full Version : Other Bands Play

Lonely Vazdru
03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Hail there metal warriors !

Just a little in depth poll to seperate the boys from the men. I'll be the first to vote on my own poll, and i'll proudly vote yes, of course. I really dig Manowar and i know that they usually don't generate mild reactions. So go ahead, love them, or fight them, but give it your best shot. And remember :

We fight to the death
To the last man
To the last breath !

:Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan: :Titan:

omg
03-07-2005, 10:43 AM
real men listen to death. not man o war.

Flop
03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I voted yes. Manowar rocks! :ok:

lethe
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Lethe
I find Manowar truly disgusting. Their lyrics are dull, some mix of slanged hair metal with bitter attitude, which is one they stand at all times. Both "Warriors Of The World" and their other album I heard (can't remember the name, something from 91/92) failed to get my attention musically too. I believe they might sound good live, they have the beat after all (and metal concerts scarce around here, so anything is a go) whistling.gif but I wouldn't look too much further into them.

To prove my words, I'll just make you take a look at the topic description: Instead of putting a :ok: , :max: , :kosta: , you placed a :angry: That kind of attitude is the same of Manowar, and I can't really appreciate badass metal, as is pointless, and most of them won't do jack of what they say they would.

Chuck the plant
03-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Relax, lethe, Manowar are a joke and were even MEANT to be one. LOL "Ross the Boss" who FOUNDED the band was (and now is again) the guitaruist of "The Dictators", a NY-punkband that started at about the same time the Ramones did´, and just like the Dictators were making fun of the whole (american) punkrock-scene - including themselves - that quickly evolved ("Master Race Rock", "Two Tub Man" to name but two titles), Manowar was nothing but a sarcastical comment on the NWOBHM, full of cliches. Surprisingly, the first two albums were perceived very well. Since Ross the Boss left the band, however, I'm not so sure about the satircal elements anymore...

@ topic: How about Judas Priest? Accept? Entombed? Amon Amarth? Hell, I could name a few dozen others, and I don't even LISTEN to that much "Metal".
I mean, Manowar HAVE HAD their moments, but almost anything after "Kings of Metal" was utter crap... "Warriors of the World United"... LOL You DO know that the success of that single was largely based on the fact that Manowar did a gig on a german COMEDY-show, do you? LOL

Flop
03-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by lethe@Jul 3 2005, 02:31 PM
and I can't really appreciate badass metal, as is pointless, and most of them won't do jack of what they say they would.

As I already said, I like them. I'm curious about what you mean by saying that "badass metal" is pointless, though. What excactly is the point of music, in your opinion?

And you're probably right in saying that Manowar would never do anything of what they say they will, but as Chuck pointed out, you're not supposed to take it seriously. And how many bands actually go out and do what they sing about? (okay, I guess lyrics like "I'm gonna make love to you all night" and the like, are not too difficult to follow through on :D)

omg
03-07-2005, 04:26 PM
count grishnak used to burn churches. loads of mortiss's band have actually done time for church burning.

PrejudiceSucks
03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Hehey my Graphics teacher did a Judas Priest LP cover. It's the one with a gothic knight and a young woman on it.

By Paul Monteagle if you want to look it up.

WolverineDK
03-07-2005, 08:38 PM
well Manowar are the best of the "true metal" genre that i know off but other than i don´t know (i really do like them !!!)

HAIL from Denmark

i voted the first option.

chuckie:

We have different opinons , but is that not great ? ;)

and i have never experienced another band sing so much about Vikings and i would say they are very melodic , instead of Metallicas trash metal (yeah i don´t see them as heavy metal) and especially not after "The Black Album"

anyway i like them.

Originally posted by omg@Jul 3 2005, 04:26 PM
count grishnak used to burn churches. loads of mortiss's band have actually done time for church burning.
well just look at some of the norwegian dark(or is it doom ?) metal bands.

omg
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
yup. is why i respect that genre. at least they have actually done some of the things that they sing about.
im not saying church burning is cool. im just saying at least they are honest with there nasty man images.
out of the whole metal thang my faves are death tho who are swedish? i think..
they just talk about life after a nuculear war a lot (ie: all the way through the spirtual healing album) now that album is proper.

although for the record i get annoyed when people start drawing distinctions in metal
ie:
death metal
thrash metal
speed metal
grind metal
doom core metal
darkwave metal
industrial metal
LOL nu metal LOL

compared to that lot any band playing *heavy metal* sound pretty lame.

also quite often the terms are just used to sell bands becuse at the end of the day any band is going to get bored just playing one style all the time. even death have done kiss covers live. (just with there vocal style)

BeefontheBone
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Yo! What's with the triple posting?

EDIT: 's better - nice one.

WolverineDK
03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
BeefOneTheBone: it is fixed.

omg: well just look at Ramms+ein ? well they are heavy electro.

omg
03-07-2005, 09:41 PM
LOL there you ,, heavy electro is it??? agggh i thought they were industrial metal ...
heh. evry band that comes out they invent a new bloody term

Lonely Vazdru
03-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by omg@Jul 3 2005, 10:43 AM
I'm not so sure about the men part. Most of the Death Metal followers quit as soon as they grow up and get a job and a bitchin' wife. You don't see that many death metal freaks aged over 25.
You go to a manowar show, you see all ages. They might be stupid. I'm 38 and maybe i belong in a mental institution. But i've been faithful for more than 20 years.
All this so called modern metal is a patent exemple of bands who want to look mean but wouldn't scare anyone past 14. And man, they just can't play. And i'm not even talking about the singing (or lack of thereof).
As a teenager, i listened to Venom in the early eighties (one of the band that started this "i can't play but i'll make some noise just the same" trend) after a year i realized that what i really wanted to achieve (namely scare every adult around and feel important) was failing miserably. Death to false metal !

Chuck the plant
03-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, Rammstein ARE Industrial Metal. And they certainly didn't "invent" a genre for themselves. Apart from the True- and Black Metal-scenes, most bands care sh*t about a "proper definition"... :P

@ Wolverinee... :roll: :
Well, only one sentence of my previous post was actually "opinion", the rest is FACT... :angel:

and i have never experienced another band sing so much about Vikings
Again: Amon Amarth, anyone?

Lonely Vazdru
03-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant+Jul 3 2005, 01:15 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chuck the plant @ Jul 3 2005, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Relax, lethe, Manowar are a joke and were even MEANT to be one. [/b]
Well that is true but it's not only a joke. They are true to their words, very dedicated to their fans and put a lot of their litle income into buying and designing new stuff. They got this guy (Joohn Dawk Stilwell) who design new instruments and amplifiers for them ever since they started 20 years ago.
And it is possible to have a sense of humour and a sense of honour.

Originally posted by lethe@Jul 3 2005, 12:31 PM

To prove my words, I'll just make you take a look at the topic description: Instead of putting a* :ok: ,* :max: ,* :kosta: , you placed a* :angry:
That's because it was the only smilie that looked a little serious. I would have put the one with axe and helmet if i knew how. I'm not mean. I'm a cool guy. Really. I just love to kill !!!!!!!

******QuoteBegin-WolverineDK@Jul 3 2005, 08:38 PM
and i have never experienced another band* sing so much about Vikings [/quote]
Hail brother of metal !

True enough and their "swords in the wind" song on warriors of the world is one of my all time favorite. I don't know much about the original vikings, but enough to know that Manowar' vision of them is very romantic and overdramatized. Yet i just love the way they sing about it.
Same thing about the indians (they mix up the tribes most of the times, but it is still cool to enjoy lyrics about honour and everlasting friendship, rather than about butchering infants and sacrifying virgins).

Thank all of you who expressed their feelings, whether good or bad, and eternal shame on those who voted and remained anonymous.
Please continue to insult or defend Manowar. I'll answer to your threats and your praise with the same pleasure.

I fight the world, and take all they can give !

:band:

Havell
03-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Can you edit instead of posting four times in a row please? [/minimod]

Manowar are quite good, some of their songs are worth listening to and, like has been said, they're hilarious on occasion.

EDIT: http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=972

WolverineDK
03-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Chuck:

this smiley ;-) is strange here since when i am doing it it looks like it is not that happy.

Lonely Vazdru:

well the vikings did not have horns on their helmets and they were coptic christians before they became catholics thanks to Harald Bluetooth

well anyway read about them :)

Lonely Vazdru
03-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by R Havell@Jul 3 2005, 10:43 PM
Can you edit instead of posting four times in a row please ?
Sorry i thought it was better to post 4 small separate answers than a big one. Won't happen again if it is bothering. :ok:

And thanx for the link, the article was a good exemple of the second degree most people don't get. :blink:

Wolverine DK : When i said i didn't know much, i didn't say i didn't know anything. But thanx just the same. :D

omg
03-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru+Jul 3 2005, 10:20 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lonely Vazdru @ Jul 3 2005, 10:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-omg@Jul 3 2005, 10:43 AM
I'm not so sure about the men part. Most of the Death Metal followers quit as soon as they grow up and get a job and a bitchin' wife. You don't see that many death metal freaks aged over 25.
[/b][/quote]
i am 25. i have a wife. i have worked many different jobs. out from the metal crowd i like the band death. death metal is good fun for all the family. and when i fancy it i listen to it. however i like evry style of music. manowar is the kind of thing i think of when i think of kiddie music. o and saxon. not death.

Lonely Vazdru
03-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by omg@Jul 3 2005, 11:11 PM
however i like evry style of music.
Then you are (probably) a happy man. But this lack of musical personality makes your opinion somehow irrelevant when talking about cult die-hard loyal following fans of a particular musical scene.
No hard feelings though !
And kisses to your wife :wub:

Chuck the plant
03-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 3 2005, 11:25 PM
But this lack of musical personality makes your opinion somehow irrelevant when talking about cult die-hard loyal following fans of a particular musical scene.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ain't it more like:
"cult die-hard loyal following" is a sign of lack of ANY kind of personality? LOL
You mean, no matter what kind of sh*t your favourite band will put on record, you'll just accept an appreciateit, because your so "die-hard cult following" them?
That's sad. Really.
I for one have other means of measuring "musical appeal".

WolverineDK
04-07-2005, 02:22 AM
ChucK: i like so many genres and music bands , and i consider myself a hardcore fan of Depeche Mode , but i don´t like the Ecxiter album except for I Feel Loved , Freelove and some few others(like some of the bootleg remixes of DJ K8T has made, that lovely hot woman ) and i miss talking with her :cry:

but death metal is not my cup of tea, don´t call me a sissy but Death metal gives me nightmares because of the Growling and screaming.

and ok let us not put musical stickers on styles , since if you feel Sepultura is death , then it is death, but i like them and etc.

Lonely Vazdru: a little tid bit of information of vikings again was as follows before they were christian , they worshipped the norse gods.

and most of them were fishermen, traders (merchants) and only few went out and made havoc on people. and some of them were home and took care of their sheeps and other caddle they had .

and i like my own scandinavian mythology and have some books on it, but the whole period is very exiting and interresting and Wineland was found by Leif The Lucky, many years before Columbus Wineland is up in New Foundland if i remember correct. anyway read about it :)

Lonely Vazdru
04-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jul 3 2005, 11:52 PM
You mean, no matter what kind of sh*t your favourite band will put on record, you'll just accept an appreciateit, because your so "die-hard cult following" them?
Not what i meant. I've been sorely disapointed by bands i worshipped (Kiss or Metallica for instance) and stopped buying their records. Untill better days maybe. And for the personality part, what i meant was that people who listen to any kind of music and people who dig one kind of music are mostly unable to speak with one another (about music of course). The first ones think the second fanatics and narrow-minded, and the second ones think the first have no musical personality or real involvment.
So when you jump from this week popular band to the next (or this month' or this year's popular band, whatever) of course you think manowar are cliché and ridiculous. But if you are intrested in more than music (attitude, live show, refining an old concept over and over) wether at first or second degree, Manowar are unique ! And they have not changed their attitude or musical direction in 20 years. Just like they always claimed. And AC/DC excepted, they probably are one of the only bands who said they would keep their musical integrity no matter what, and who did. This alone should commend respect. :Titan:

Wolverine DK : I love northern mythology (got hooked by the Thor comic books as a teen), but i'm afraid i won't follow your advice about reading about it. It's just that my job consists in reading books so i don't read much on my spare time. But thanx, and see you in Valhalla for sharing ales and tales. :cheers:

Chuck the plant
04-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 4 2005, 04:39 AM
So when you jump from this week popular band to the next (or this month' or this year's popular band, whatever) of course you think manowar are cliché and ridiculous. But if you are intrested in more than music (attitude, live show, refining an old concept over and over) wether at first or second degree, Manowar are unique !
Sorry, but the first part is simply BS. I have a BROAD taste in music, but that hasn't nescesarilly ANYTHING to do with charts or "what's popular right now". You know, Metal isn't the only genre which has some underground roots... :whistle: Plus I AM "looking deeper", it's just again that "Metal" of any kind isn't the only musical genre with depth to it (and out of the many Metal bands there are, Manowar are one of the more shallow ones, considering music, lyrics and image).
And while Manowar may be "unique", that simply doesn't mean their "good" as well. And about their "truthfulness": Until two or three years ago, they only used to pull their "leather & bikes"-show here in europe, in the US they were always getting on stage in Jeans and T-Shirts, because they feared to be laughed off the stage. Very "trve" and uncomprimising indeed... LOL
Oh, and to me, they aren't really "refining" their concept... they're just making themselves look sillier and desperate with every year they grow older...

Lonely Vazdru
04-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Well then... I take it you don't like Manowar ? :D

TheVoid
04-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Thus the four potentially-rules-breaking- posts were united in a unique long post and the poster didn't get any warning from stricter administrators. He knew, tho, that in the future he would refrain from quadruple, triple or double posting.

Amen

omg
04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 3 2005, 11:25 PM
But this lack of musical personality makes your opinion somehow irrelevant when talking about cult die-hard loyal following fans of a particular musical scene.

LOL!!! lack of musical personality!! hahaha. some days i listen to death metal. some days i listen to metal. some days i listen to electro. some days i listen to techno. some days i listen to gabba. some days i listen to classical. some days i listen to ambient, sometimes im in an industrial mood. (i have more styles in my collection - bored of typing) some people will say they are eclectic in the pub then they come round mine see my vinyl, cd, and mp3 collection and they realise that maybe they wernt as eclectis as they thought they were.
if being a manowar freak gives you a musical personality then i am glad to be personalityless.

i grew out from being die hard to one particular scene. thats a two dimensional aproach with all the amazing music we have coming through thanks to the home pc reveloution.

Lonely Vazdru
04-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by omg@Jul 4 2005, 11:59 AM
some days i listen to death metal. some days i listen to metal. some days i listen to electro. some days i listen to techno. some days i listen to gabba. some days i listen to classical. some days i listen to ambient, sometimes im in an industrial mood.
Exactly what i meant. I have friends who are like you so don't take this as some form of superiority contest. My friends and i had this discussion going for years and never could get a satisfying answer. To me, jumping around from style to style is weird. It's like dating lots of girls without ever falling in love with one. I just don't understand how you cannot prefer one over the other. To the point were the others don't matter anymore. Anyway, enough with the romantic, diplomat attitude. I have a manowar image to maintain right ? So Be aware, foe, that the hammer af the gods will eventually strike you down to punish your cowardice and lack of involvment... Or something among those lines.

WolverineDK
04-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 4 2005, 11:17 PM

Be aware, foe, that the hammer af the gods will eventually strike you down to punish your cowardice and lack of involvment... Or something among those lines.
is it ok to laugh ? :) LOL you took the irony and made me laugh :) LOL

Flop
05-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru+Jul 5 2005, 01:17 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lonely Vazdru @ Jul 5 2005, 01:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-omg@Jul 4 2005, 11:59 AM
some days i listen to death metal. some days i listen to metal. some days i listen to electro. some days i listen to techno. some days i listen to gabba. some days i listen to classical. some days i listen to ambient, sometimes im in an industrial mood.
Exactly what i meant. I have friends who are like you so don't take this as some form of superiority contest. My friends and i had this discussion going for years and never could get a satisfying answer. To me, jumping around from style to style is weird. It's like dating lots of girls without ever falling in love with one. I just don't understand how you cannot prefer one over the other. To the point were the others don't matter anymore. Anyway, enough with the romantic, diplomat attitude. I have a manowar image to maintain right ? So Be aware, foe, that the hammer af the gods will eventually strike you down to punish your cowardice and lack of involvment... Or something among those lines. [/b][/quote]
Actually I do the same thing as omg (except I don't listen to electro and techno...substitute those with popmusic and rock'n'roll or something :)). For me it's not so much about genres, as it is about the bands. I don't really care what genre the music is, as long as I like it. It does seem, however, that a lot of the music I happen to like is metal. Also, just because I like Manowar (and find it superior to much other music :ok: ) doesn't mean that I listen to it all the time. What I listen to depend largely on what mood I'm in, so just because I listen to Queen one day and Manowar the next, doesn't mean that I think all music is equally good (although I find it difficult to compare Queen and Manowar, specifically).

I do have my preferences, and I guess that I could be considered a Manowarrior (did I just say that? Somebody shoot me! :D), but there are other bands I like as much (and some that I like even better), and there are some bands I like less (and some that I despise and shun like the plague).

My point is that just because you like several genres of music, and consider yourself a fan of more that one band, you can still have a lot of musical personality.

However, I'm sure that omg is exaggerating when he says he likes all kinds of music. He doesn't seem to be all that keen on Manowar, for example. Am I right omg? :)

Chuck the plant
05-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 4 2005, 11:17 PM
To me, jumping around from style to style is weird. It's like dating lots of girls without ever falling in love with one. I just don't understand how you cannot prefer one over the other. To the point were the others don't matter anymore.
That's funny... isn't one major part of the Manowar-image this, that a guy gets cooler the more "chicks" he "bangs"? LOL
Well, to stay with that idea you brought up: To me it's more like the "girl" is music ITSELF. Just limiting yourself to one and only one (or MAYBE two aspects) would be like telling your girlfriend "Yeah, you know, I like your tits and behind, but the rest of you... :sick: " ;)

There's just so much good music out there, it would be a shame and a waste not to explore it beyond one's personal horizons. And to set one thing straight: The fact that I have a broad-fetched musical interest doesn't mean I'm listening to anything or EVERYthing. But there are some things worth to explore in almost every musical genre. Of course I don't think I'll ever stop preferring Punkrock over most other genres, but why should that mean that I'd have to ignore everything else? That's just dumb and ignorant in my opinion.

And once again about "die hard cult following": If music sounds good, it sounds good. If it doesn't, it doesn't. The fact that a song was made by a certain band doesn't help it to sound better if it's crap. And it won't get worse because it was made by certain band, if it sounds good. Easy as that ;)

Lonely Vazdru
05-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Just to make something clear for everyone. I don't listen to Manowar only. far from it. I've got like 400 Cds and only 10 are Manowar. It's mostly "metal" though. But it ranges from Queen, Talisman, Def Leppard to Annihilator, Savatage, Manowar (of course) or Symphony X, Dream Theatre. I just happen to love both Manowar and provocation. So i exaregate the Macho attitude and i get cool reactions. Like everybody thinking i'm some sort of Dickhead. That is so cool beacause my favorite band (still existant today) is Talisman which has nothing to do with Manowar. But i like to awaken the warrior in me from time to time. And i honestly don't understand how can someone dig both kicka$$ rock'n'roll and mechanical techno.
And the cool thing about Manowar, is that even if they don't practice what they preach (and i disagree with Chuck on that), what they preach is cool.
And all of you guys have to wait and see. We'll see how many of those bands you think so cool will last 20 years without betraying themselves. Anybody remembers Metallica ? :whistle:

Chuck the plant
05-07-2005, 12:13 PM
No, Metallica might have betrayed YOU, or at least you might feel that way. They would've betrayed themselves by writing "the Black Album" over and over and over again because it sold so massively. That's what Manowar in fact do. Making the same record over and over and over again. No development. Just milking the cow, make music they sold before so they can sell some more. Maybe THEY are satisfied with making music that way, but some ARTIST maybe aren't...

BTW, if Metallica "betrayed" anyone by not sticking to the same pair of musical shoes all the time, how would you call Queen? Judas Priest (at least up until to the middle of the 80s, when they hgot kinda stuck)? What about Alice Cooper? They hardly ever repeated themselves, no two records really sound(ed) like they were made by the same artist when those artists had their creative hights (for Queen that is indeed true throughout their whole musical career). Were THEY "traitors" to you, too?

And electronic music can indeed be very "kickass", but you'll most probably never find out (not that you'd want that anyway)...

Lonely Vazdru
05-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Queen could not betray themselves because they were not from this earth. Metallica became everything they despised when they started. A pop band, with short hair (even make-up sometimes) who play generic pop/rock. If you still like them, fine. But i listened t them in the early eighties, when it was not OK to listen to that kind of metal (only Leppard and scorpions would prevent you from being everyone's target). It was really annoying (dating girls was almost out of the question, and being taken serioulsly by any adult was wishful thinking), but they were worth it. They shook the earth on albums like Ride the lightning. There was a before and an after Metallica in the metal history. If you don't hear the difference with what they play today, you're deaf. Which would account for you musical tastes. :bleh:

Yeah i know, that last one was a low blow. But i won't let some Rammstein diggin', fresh from the egg, lil' punk teach me about betrayal. :D

Chuck the plant
05-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 5 2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah i know, that last one was a low blow. But i won't let some Rammstein diggin', fresh from the egg, lil' punk teach me about betrayal.* :D
I know, I know, you said you like provocation and stuff, but I start to think you really ARE just an idiot...

with short hair
Now THAT's what acounts for musical quality to you, yes? LOL You seem to care more about image then music... again, very sad
I won't even bother commenting on that whining about your oh-so-hard musical youth (and that ridicolous "I like to let out the warrior in me"-BS... HOW old are you? LOL )

If you don't hear the difference with what they play today, you're deaf. Which would account for you musical tastes.* :bleh:
Are you doing this to annoy me, or are you indeed just retarded? I never said they still sound the same, indeed I very clairly said that they don't. I jzst don't have a PROBLEM with that. So that wasn't even a low blow (maybe except against yourself), it was just totally out of context and therefore plain dumb.

Did you ever play "Monkey Island" by any chance? LOL

EDIT: And - WHY couldn't Queen "betray" themselves, but Metallica could?
And about that "everything they despised when they started"-stuff... people's mind develop at times, they broaden their horizons, lose old prejudices, get a little wiser and calmer... well, maybe not where YOU come from... LOL

Lonely Vazdru
05-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jul 5 2005, 12:37 PM
people's mind develop at times, they broaden their horizons, lose old prejudices, get a little wiser and calmer... well, maybe not where YOU come from... LOL
Course not. I'm a Manowar fan remember. How could i become as enlightned as a man who :

1- Doesn't care about image (yeah, of course he doesn't)
2- Listens to any kind of music because he's so open minded.
3- Doesn't care if bands change sound and attitude, calls it evolution in fact.
4- Doesn't like Manowar but still knows alot about them (again that open minded attitude, i'm overwhelmed)

Well the only question in my mind is how come such a wise person is wasting his time talking to a moron like me, on a MANOWAR poll for chrissake.
You looking for disciples or something ? Or are you trying to save me ? :angel:

Chuck the plant
05-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 5 2005, 01:02 PM
1- Doesn't care about image (yeah, of course he doesn't)

Yepp. he doesn't... why would he? What's so important about an image? Of course there's a line I draw, such as bands that advertise political agenda's I strongly disagree with for example...

2- Listens to any kind of music because he's so open minded.
I've had it with you twisting the words in my mouth. If you're too dumb too read properly what I wrote, this topic is through for me.

3- Doesn't care if bands change sound and attitude, calls it evolution in fact.
I called it "development", a LITTLE difference. And sometimes I DO care (if the new direction doesn't appeal to me), but I don't disapprove of it in general and out of sheer pigheadedness... By the way, you still didn't tell me what to think about Alice Cooper, Queen, Judas Priest and so on, if one actually follows your logic through...

4- Doesn't like Manowar but still knows alot about them (again that open minded attitude, i'm overwhelmed)
Well, guess what: As you would have already known if you'd actually read the whole discussion, you'd know by now that there was a time I DID like them. i just don't like them anymore. Again, development.

Well the only question in my mind is how come such a wise person is wasting his time talking to a moron like me, on a MANOWAR poll for chrissake.
Self-awareness, blah-blah-blah... but guess another thing: This is a discussion-board, and you were asking for opinions. D'oh.

Or are you trying to save me
You are beyond help LOL

Now that this is cleared, this discussion is through for me. It's come down to personal flaming, maybe because you ran out of arguements? Anyway, have fun, and you even have my permission to consider this a "win" for you, since you'll do it ANYWAY and -I- couldn't really care less. LOL
Have fun. I heard it's easier for simple-minded people, so you shouldn't have problems with it... :bye:

The Fifth Horseman
05-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Manowar had produced some great songs. I quite liked Hail and Kill, and to say the truth it got me inspired to start an army for Warhammer 40k that uses it as their battlecry.

I prefer their later songs, though. Usually they sound somewhat better. First version of Sign of the Hammer (SoTH album one) was a bit off of any rhytm or anything. But a later one (can't recall exact album, tho)...
"Onwards pounding, into glory ride
Sign of the Hammer, be my guide
Final Warning
All stand aside
Sign of the Hammer, its my time!"
:ok: :ok:

Though my musical preferences do not center on Manowar, I still can recognize some good metal when I listen to it.

Lonely Vazdru
05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks man ! Looks like Manowar can use any support they can get judging by the (present) result of the poll. Hail and kill is indeed a great song. It rocks live. Just out of curiosity, what sort of horseman are you. I mean the first four are War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death (if i remember right). So what would the fifth be ? I'm scared. :unsure:

TheVoid
05-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 5 2005, 05:28 PM
I mean the first four are War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death (if i remember right). So what would the fifth be ? I'm scared. :unsure:
The fifth would be Warhammer. You can recognize him 'cause the face is completely painted with Bubonic Brown and Sunburst Yellow.

Flop
05-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I've always thought that the fifth one was David Hasselhoff. :D

Lonely Vazdru
05-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Flop@Jul 5 2005, 05:51 PM
I've always thought that the fifth one was David Hasselhoff. :D
Now don't you ever dare make fun of David Hasselhoff. I love this guy. Yeah, i know, that + Manowar. I'll probably be banned soon. But Dave RULES. :Brain:

EDIT : I support : Fort Alamo last stand, the Tobin Tax, human rights and all sorts of lost causes. :tomato:

DakaSha
06-07-2005, 01:45 AM
i think they are funny :D

Lonely Vazdru
06-07-2005, 09:37 AM
You mean Manowar are Funny ? ARRGH ! I should be full of righteous fury at such an insult. But your avatar is so peace inducing... I'll let it slide.
Besides you're right. They are funny too. LOL

The Fifth Horseman
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Just out of curiosity, what sort of horseman are you. I mean the first four are War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death (if i remember right). So what would the fifth be ? I'm scared.
The name means something unexpected, out of normal order. According to Terry Pratchett (Discworld Series, "Thief of Time"), the fifth horseman is called Kaos and is the embodiment of anarchy and disorder.

And really... it sounded like a cool name at one time (15yo people have some strange ideas), and then it just sort of stuck.

Lonely Vazdru
06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
So, Lord Chaos it is. I see my fears were justified. For were Chaos rules, violence and bloodshed follows. Now that was a cool Manowar song (Violence and bloodshed), the kind of songs that make people think that listening to Manowar is hazardous to your mental health and social behavior. All of which is absolutly true.
:crazy:

The Fifth Horseman
07-07-2005, 01:33 PM
people think that listening to Manowar is hazardous to your mental health and social behavior. All of which is absolutly true.
Depends on the initial state of both. :D

Lonely Vazdru
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Jul 7 2005, 01:33 PM
Depends on the initial state of both. :D
Naah. Even Gandhi would have gone berzerk listening to "Hail and kill" or "Blood of my ennemies". Metal is a weapon. Remember the US military blasting some Twisted Sister at that Noriega guy to drive him out of his hiding place ? :sniper:

WolverineDK
07-07-2005, 05:13 PM
hey Chuck: (if he still reads this topic) i just checked yuor profile the other day,
and saw you are a german :)(sorry for going off topic) well do you like Wolfsheim and some of the other bands i mentioned in my thread ? :) Since most of the electro i hear is german and you germans rock when it comes to the electronic scene :ok: :ok: :D :)

Chuck the plant
13-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, there are quite some amazing german electro-bands, but I surely wouldn't count Wolfsheim to them :D

Xikarita
16-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Manowar is ok, but I prefer other bands of the same genre... like Iron Maiden :D
As for the ''attitude'' thing, it's just pose... you can't blame them, they gotta sell their records somehow! It's not like they're the only band that does that.

Lonely Vazdru
26-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Xikarita@Jul 16 2005, 11:18 AM
As for the ''attitude'' thing, it's just pose... you can't blame them, they gotta sell their records somehow! It's not like they're the only band that does that.
I don't think so. Unless they are very, very stupid. They've been laughed at for 20 years, and they would probably sell lots more records dressing like and looking like the boy next door with a bad case of headache and the worst possible taste in clothes and haircut. Leather, long hair and macho attitude have stopped being money makers for at least 10 years. I think they like it, and rather sell 100 000 copies being themselves, than 1 000 000 being what they despise. :ok:

Chuck the plant
26-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 26 2005, 07:29 AM
I think they like it, and rather sell 100 000 copies being themselves, than 1 000 000 being what they despise. :ok:
See what I wrote some pages earlier already:
In the USA, they come on stage in jeans and t-shirts. No leather. No fur. No Harleys. They do it in Europe only because it does INDEED sell. Without some sort of controversial image they would drown in the sea of other, better Metal-bands. It's just show and a cheap way of getting attention.

Lonely Vazdru
26-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah you said that already. I must say that it breaks my heart a bit. :sick:

But still their image is very present on their album covers, promo pictures, etc,. Even if you don't like them (which i know is the case) you can't deny that their image was maybe cool and awe inspiring in the 80's but is now a source of ridicule and contempt. Even if they wear jeans and T-shirts on stage in the USA (and i believe you on that even if it pains me) they are still identified by their Conan style, which is responsible for a great part in the trash and insults and laughter they receive. So i can undestand that people would laugh at them, but not say that they do this to make money. They can't be at the same time accused of being false to sell records, and laughed at because their image sucks. Unless one thinks that they are both business men trying to sell records and get some attention, and lousy ones at that, because all their tricks make them the laughingstock of the metal world. I, for my part, think they don't give a $hit what other people think and do their stuff, far, far away from the new metal scene and it's everchanging alliegances. :kosta:

As for the casual dressing in the USA, let's see that as a necessary sacrifice to play in their homeland, which never was really their homeland (they were always more popular in Europe, which accounts for the early "Hail to England" album). A man got to do what a man got to do.

Xikarita
26-07-2005, 09:26 PM
@Lonely Vazdru: I suppose you do have a point, but they're not the laughing stock of Metal everywhere... they're still somewhat popular in Europe and must be «big in Japan» ? :D
Do you really believe they would still be selling records if they wore short hair and dressed ''normal''?
I'm not condemning anything, it's perfectly easy to understand!

Lonely Vazdru
26-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Xikarita@Jul 26 2005, 09:26 PM
Do you really believe they would still be selling records if they wore short hair and dressed ''normal''?
Yes, I do ! :D

Chuck the plant
27-07-2005, 02:14 AM
They sure as sh*t wouldn't. As I said, without their controversial image, there would be NOTHING to seperate them from tons of other Metal bands and there especially wouldn't be anything to make them "stand out" of the mass. It's the only thing that makes them "interesting" and "special" in some way. The fact that they don't sell sh*t in the US (where they dress and behave normally) and do sell quite a lot in Europe (where they pull off "the full monty") kinda proofs that, don't you agree?

There's a saying: "EVERY publicity is GOOD publicity." That obviously includes the bad one (like a ridicolous image), too.

Would you also believe that KISS would've gotten as far as they came (or even farer) WITHOUT make-up and Gene Simmons flying, spitting blood and breathing fire on stage (the breakdown of the whole KISS-merchandise-machine during the 80s kinda says it all... the fact that the financial success returned with the make-up and reunion even more...)? Would Alice Cooper have had even greater success in the 70s had he just cut that "psycho-stuff"? Would you say that ANY Black Metal Band would sell better if they'd sing about love and friendship and get some decent looks? Would a "band" like Rockbitch be of any interest if they'd stop fistf*cking each other on stage (yes kids, they actually really do - did? - that...)? GWAR without slaughter, carnage and weird sexual activities on stage and record? Would The Who have become one of the most influential rock acts if Roger Daltrey would've only sung stuff like "I love you, baby. Yeah, yeah, yeah" and Pete Townshend and Keith Moon would've ended the concerts by shaking each others' hands instead of beating the sh*t out off their instruments?
(BTW, I'm not at all ranking Manowar along those greats - well, cut Rockbitch out as well there ;) - they're just examples for the influence of "image" or "concept" on success)

I guess you get the point.

Oh, and their image was NEVER "awe inspiring" and was never meant to be. It was part of the travesty LOL What do you think why Ross the Boss (the guy who FOUNDED Manowar) left the band at some point? Because the rest of the guys started to take the parody serious. :max:

Lonely Vazdru
27-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Is there any chance that mister "professional disagreement" would even remotly consider the possibility, that maybe, just maybe, they are the way they are just because they really like what they do ? :blink:

omg
27-07-2005, 11:43 AM
if you are liking manowar purly becuse of there stage show image check out a gwar video. those guys are actually funny and there stage show is just hilarios/awesome

Chuck the plant
27-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 27 2005, 03:12 AM
Is there any chance that mister "professional disagreement" would even remotly consider the possibility, that maybe, just maybe, they are the way they are just because they really like what they do ? :blink:
I DID that at some point, but that was QUITE some time ago. And I gave you lots of perfectly good explanations why I DON'T think like that anymore.
Unlike you, who never gave any explanation ´but just keeps repeating phrases of personal opinion.

Indignus IV
27-07-2005, 08:10 PM
What the heck is manowar? :blink:

Havell
27-07-2005, 09:29 PM
They're a band:

http://www.zonicweb.net/badalbmcvrs/manowar.jpg

EDIT: (That's a particularly homosexual photograph)

Lonely Vazdru
27-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jul 27 2005, 11:52 AM
Unlike you, who never gave any explanation ´but just keeps repeating phrases of personal opinion.
C'mon, give it a break, we're all into personal opinions. I think they are honest. You don't. It's all personal opinions. Unless you are Joey DeMaio in disguise, in which case you know what you're talking about and i don't. But somehow i don't think you are him. So it all comes down to what we think. It's music we're talking about, not sports, maths or anything that can be measured or counted. So of course it's personal opinions.
And the Kiss exemple was well chosen indeed. There have always been people who think that Kiss success was ONLY due to the make-up thing. Many Kiss fans rather think it's because of the music. Is there anyway to change the mind of those who think Kiss is a marketing operation and nothing more ? I don't think so. Same goes for Manowar. If you think people listen to their music only because of their antics and image, what can I do to change your mind ? Swear that i would listen to their future albums even without the whole shebang that usually comes with it as long as the music is as good as always ? Because that's what i would do, even if i'd miss the cliché attitude stuff.

R Havell : Thanx for the picture. It does well to illustrate this thread. And show what Manowar is. And what i'm up against by defending them. And don't you start pretending they're gay. I have enough on my mind right now :whistle:
That picture rocks ! :kosta:

Xikarita
27-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jul 27 2005, 02:14 AM

Would you say that ANY Black Metal Band would sell better if they'd sing about love and friendship and get some decent looks?
:ot:

It wouldn't really be Black Metal then, would it? :whistle: But not all bands are like Cradle Of Filth, etc. Unfortunately, those that don't have such an aggressive ''pose'' are a vast...minority :D

omg
05-08-2005, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Jul 27 2005, 09:36 PM
Thanx for the picture. It does well to illustrate this thread. And show what Manowar is. And what i'm up against by defending them. And don't you start pretending they're gay. I have enough on my mind right now :whistle:

hahahahahaha. you have to admit tho they do look like a bunch of mincers in that photo. i think its the fact that they have clearly been covering each other in baby oil. (and the guy with the ymca moustache and leather trousers)
in fact they could be the village people from that photo. now wheres the red indian..
let me hear it for the y.m.c.a!

Lonely Vazdru
05-08-2005, 01:55 AM
The problem with gay image and attitude is that i never knew who started this. The real barbarians who were tuff and buff because they were warriors, or the gay who look tuff and buff because they love the male body so much. Not that i would really care if Manowar were gay though, but it would contradict a lot of what they say and make them false in my eyes (and in their own too). But i think they are too primitive to be gays. :D

blastradius14
05-08-2005, 02:26 AM
The heroically gay band: Queen. The rediculous gay band: Wham. The Metal gay band (or well baby-oiled appearing, perhaps falsly misleading): Manowar LOL

Maybe they are just weird and get over-warm on stage when they wear lots of clothes. The lighting might be able to do that to someone :blink:

Lonely Vazdru
05-08-2005, 03:04 AM
The official gay metal icon is Rob Halford of Judas Priest fame. :guitar:

blastradius14
05-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Official? OK they can have their own stamp of approval :D

The Fifth Horseman
05-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Gandhi would have gone berzerk listening to "Hail and kill"
I don't. It takes me about an hour to what I'd call "warm up" to a reasonably blood-thirsty state, and this hour includes not only Hail and Kill but also Battle Hymns, Dawn of Battle, Thor (the powerhead) and from other bands Hammerfall's Way of the Warrior and Amon Amarth's Legend and Death in Fire. That's a lot of deadly sound, and if I were not singing to the lyrics through that it wouldn't make me even flinch.

Cold blod here.

Lonely Vazdru
05-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Aug 5 2005, 10:38 AM
Cold blod here.
Indeed. You must be a lizard or somethin'. You should listen to Good old "Iguana" Iggy Pop then... :bleh:

btw, what band is Amon Amarth ? Is it close to Manowar and/or Hammerfall or something altogether different ?

WolverineDK
07-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Lonely Vazdru: check Majesty out, they are very close to Manowar, and i will bet that Chuck is not fond of Majesty, but Majesty is a great Manowar like band.

The Fifth Horseman
09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
what band is Amon Amarth ? Is it close to Manowar and/or Hammerfall or something altogether different ?

Death Metal / Viking Metal. Manowar volume x 10, Manowar agressiveness x 10. Got only a few of their tracks.
A good way to stay awake, tho. LOL

Lonely Vazdru
11-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Sounds impressive. Even scary. :blink:

btw couldn't one of the Admin or VIP or somethin' change the results of this poll. It's so insulting. :cry:

Apocalypse Dude
12-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Aug 11 2005, 08:07 PM
btw couldn't one of the Admin or VIP or somethin' change the results of this poll. It's so insulting. :cry:
If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen, you asked for it, you got it....

The Fifth Horseman
12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Sounds impressive. Even scary.
Sure it does. It helped me stay up last night till 5 AM, when I was frantically painting a miniature for a contest to have it done today (good advice: when you are working your behind off on something for several dozen hours and taking from your sleeping time, when you have it done for the last day don't forget to take it with you...). A few repeats of Legend and Bloodshed worked a charm on preventing me from falling asleep.

Manowar also had some share in that, but an hour or two earlier - at 3:30 AM even Dawn of Battle might not keep one fully conscious.

By the way, I just got a good comparison. Dawn of Battle is kind of similar to AA's music - altough without that calm bit, and Amarth is still a notch faster and louder.

Lonely Vazdru
12-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Apocalypse Dude+Aug 12 2005, 11:03 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Apocalypse Dude @ Aug 12 2005, 11:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Lonely Vazdru@Aug 11 2005, 08:07 PM
btw couldn't one of the Admin or VIP or somethin' change the results of this poll. It's so insulting.* :cry:
If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen, you asked for it, you got it.... [/b][/quote]
I was just kidding. Real men don't beg but bravely face any hardship, strenghtened by their absolute confidence in the ultimate victory of truth and justice. And so on... :Titan:

Iron_Scarecrow
12-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Well I never heard of them.

Himmler
16-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Aug 12 2005, 03:08 PM
:blink: and i guess you voted..

blastradius14
16-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Have you heard of them?

Himmler
16-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Of course...i only listen to metal..black metal that is, but someone who listenes to any kind of metal should know something about their neighbours(?).

Lonely Vazdru
17-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Himmler+Aug 16 2005, 06:02 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Himmler @ Aug 16 2005, 06:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Iron_Scarecrow@Aug 12 2005, 03:08 PM
:blink: and i guess you voted.. [/b][/quote]
Well, i made this Manowar ? option so people who don't know them can vote too. There are quite a few of them if you believe the poll results. The battle for victory is a never ending one. :Titan:

Himmler
17-08-2005, 12:29 PM
the pool would of had better results if the question had a heavy in front of metal...i'm sure of it...

WolverineDK
11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Have you heard their new album Gods Of War ? it rocks a lot, and I must say Sons Of Odin really is smashing great all the way. And what we call true metal now adays started as the name glammetal. But thank goodness it has evolved into a better name.

The Fifth Horseman
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Sons of Odin AND Gods of War, you mean. :P
Honestly, I rather like their change in approach since Warriors of the World, with slower-paced and more epic songs.

Their more agressive earlier songs still aren't bad either - and hey, nothing beats "The Dawn of Battle" during a really fast game of UT2K4.

Tulac
12-04-2007, 04:42 PM
So like do they have any non-war related songs?

Mighty Midget
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I guess the closest thing I ever got to metal in any form or shape was Iron Maiden (KISS is NOT metal :P). I heard about Manowar and I've seen one or two videos, but frankly I never got the joke and I just think they are silly (yes.... I know.... coming from me.... :D)

By the time I sort of lost interest in I.M. I was into totally different kinds of music, mainly punk, and I really can't say I know much about this whole metal scene, let alone Manowar. So, in short: I have no particular opinion on that band (other than I think they're silly).

WolverineDK
12-04-2007, 07:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Apr 12 2007, 02:17 PM) 286761</div>
Sons of Odin AND Gods of War, you mean. :P
Honestly, I rather like their change in approach since Warriors of the World, with slower-paced and more epic songs.

Their more agressive earlier songs still aren't bad either - and hey, nothing beats "The Dawn of Battle" during a really fast game of UT2K4.
[/b]

Not every body has the promo called Sons Of Odin from 2006, and no I ment the song Sons of Odin from the album Gods Of War from this year :) (even though the same song is on the promo from 2006)

It is very odd, and completely weird quite a few people does ridicule Manowar, when Iron Maiden really is the EXACT(or very close) same genre. And no they aren´t silly, Mighty Midget, then you are silly. Since you don´t listen to either groups no more, and I have heard from a few Iron Maiden fans that they in some ways hate Manowar, when even I can hear too many similarities between the bands in their music. And I must correct Chuggies punk history babble about Manowar, since it is untrue.

Joey DeMaio was working as a bass tech / pyrotechnic for Black Sabbath when he met with guitarist Ross the Boss, playing for a group called Shakin Street, a Black Sabbath support band. They later recruited Eric Adams for vocals and Donny Hamzik for the drums, to create Manowar (well I read this on their site long ago, before it became wiki material)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manowar_(band)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tulac @ Apr 12 2007, 04:42 PM) 286783</div>
So like do they have any non-war related songs?
[/b]

Yes, they have made alot without war in it.

Ioncannon
08-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Manowar rocks, but I prefer metal like Blind Guardian & Hammerfall (Epic feeling) and Helloween. Ahh Iron Maiden too.