PDA

View Full Version : A Way To Play Older Windows Games?

Doc Adrian
29-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

Yeah I know this site is dedicated to DOS games but I was hoping maybe some of you Technical savvy Abandonianites could tell me if you know a way that I can get some of the older games I have to work without buying another PC with an older Operating System.

I have alot of games and applications that work with 256 colors and older operating system like Imperialism and Myst. My computer can't seem to make the older stuff work so I was wondering if maybe they had a way to adapt it like DOS box or maybe a way to tweak Windows XP so that they would work.

Thanks in advance for the help

Doc

Flop
29-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Well, some games just won't work on some systems (like Grim Fandango). I don't know all that much about getting win95 games to run in XP, but one thing you should make sure of is that you have service pack one, at least, since the compatability mode didn't work properly before that (some would say it still doesn't work properly, but it's a lot better than it was).

Other than that, I don't know. A dualboot system would do the trick, but it's a lot of hassle just for playing a game IMO.

Doc Adrian
29-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah that or I might have to just get an old cheapy computer from a second hand store or something and get Windows 98 on it if I want to use it to play I guess..hoping to find another way though (fingers crossed)

BeefontheBone
29-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Some things run fine (Operation: Inner Space, NetStorm) others need (sometimes third-party) patches (SMAC) and some are often impossible to run (System Shock 2 is the most disappointing). Compatibility mode is your best bet, then google.

The Fifth Horseman
30-06-2005, 09:59 AM
And if the compatibility mode fails, then try using Virtual PC. IT did the trick for me in two seemingly hopeless cases, but is sooo goddamn slow...

Doc Adrian
30-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions the three of you :) I will see what I can do to get these old ones working again :ok:

The Fifth Horseman
30-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Also you might try other emulator software. I heard good stuff on BOCHS, but for some reason it failed to work with Win98SE disc for me.

MdaG
30-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm also interested in getting pre XP games to work well. I haven't tried System Shock 2 or Grim Fandango yet, but I know for a fact that Feeble Files is extremely hard to get working without Win 98. I'm gonna try Virtual PC when I get some time over though.

troop18546
30-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, changing the properties of exe file to run in Win95 or Win98 mode did help me out. SYSTEM SHOCK2 WORKS! :ok:

BeefontheBone
30-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Lucky bugger - some people get it going, others never do.

troop18546
30-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Well, there's a catch - it often crashes, but I still get it working. :D

tazzy_s
30-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I am not fond of any operating system except for Windows ME. I liked Win 95 and 98 for the ability to restart in MS-DOS.