PDA

View Full Version : Metal

Flop
26-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I thought a topic about metal would be prudent, since it seems that a lot of members here like the harder kind of music. I am huge metal fan myself, although I've never really managed to understand all the subgenres. Hence I just refer to any kind of hard rock as metal (although I realise that soft metal, like Nightwish for example, exists, and I like that too).

So anything goes, start any kind of metal discussion, or just list your favourite metal bands (although I use metal in the widest sense possible, please refrain from discussing bands such as N-sync, or artists such as Britney Spears :)).

My personal favourites:

- Katatonia (right at the top of my list where they belong, they're simply amazing and I regret never having had the chance to see them live)
- Metallica (untill and including the black album they simply ruled supreme)
- Iron Maiden (Anything with Bruce Dickinson is great, their two first albums with what's-his-name are pretty good too, the rest sucks)
- Black Sabbath (by many considered the first heavy metal band ever, I like everything they did with Ozzy)
- Nightwish (just excellent. Can't really think of anything else to say)
- Sonata Arctica (same as above)
- Cradle of Filth (This is a secret pleasure of mine. I've learned to live with the shame and ridicule that usually follows when people find out I like them :D)
- Manowar (another secret pleasure. I've seen them live twice and they truly rock)
- AC/DC (they've made so many good tracks and albums that I just had to include them)

I'd like to put many more on that list, but it has to stop somewhere, so consider those my absolute favourites.

I'm sometimes a bit sad that I live in Denmark, since it seems that metal is completely overlooked here. It seems to me that everywhere else in Europe they have metal-only festivals, they have lots of metal concerts and lots of metal bars. In Copenhagen we have 1 (one!) rock bar, and they they charge an entrance price, the infidels! We have a pretty good yearly music festival called Roskilde festival, and they usually have a few metal bands there, but that's it. It seems that in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Holland, etc. you have a ton of metal festivals, but not here, sadly.

BeefontheBone
26-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Anathema, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Auf der Maur and a bit of Marilyn Manson fulfill my metal needs pretty well. Also S.C.I.E.N.C.E. by Incubus.

Cradle of Filth are hilarious :D

auhsor
26-06-2005, 01:57 PM
I used to be into Metal a bit. Well yeah I was into the Metallica, A Perfect Circle, etc from my brother, but due to a few reasons, I've moved away from the music. I find most of it pretty dark and pretty depressive actually. I don't think it woudl help me much. Saying that, I do like the melodic stuff and I am a big fan of Dream Theater (who are a bit more progressive, but are still sometimes classed in with metal).

So yeah, it's not my style anymore I guess.

Chuck the plant
26-06-2005, 02:24 PM
well, if you live in denmark, just take a trip a few miles south to the "Wacken Open Air Festival 2005" this august. It's in germany's far north and one of the world's biggest Metal-festivals.

Regarding my own musical preferences: I was a "metalhead" QUITE some years ago now (the last time I was wearing long hair and leather must've been when I was 17...) but my musical taste has exceeded any boundaries by now... but by the end of the day, and if I'd have to choose, punkrock would be it.

Flop
26-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jun 26 2005, 04:24 PM
well, if you live in denmark, just take a trip a few miles south to the "Wacken Open Air Festival 2005" this august. It's in germany's far north and one of the world's biggest Metal-festivals.

Regarding my own musical preferences: I was a "metalhead" QUITE some years ago now (the last time I was wearing long hair and leather must've been when I was 17...) but my musical taste has exceeded any boundaries by now... but by the end of the day, and if I'd have to choose, punkrock would be it.
Yeah, I've considered going south for some festival experiences. I did plan going to the Dynamo Festival in Holland with a few friends, but unfortunately we're all low on cash, so it won't be this year.

And I don't consider myself a metalhead. As you say, my musical preferences have exceeded all boundaries (well, not quite, there are still a few genres that I can't stand), and I enjoy most kinds of music. But I do love metal, and will never stop listening to it. :)

BTW, I guess I'd probably categorise punkrock as metal, too, since I can't be bothered to learn the differences between all these genres. LOL

MadMarius
26-06-2005, 03:58 PM
:band: ...woohoo!!!This is my place!!!!!!!

Top :

1.MetallicA(cuz they ROCK)
2.AC\DC(cuz they rock,and have a good guitarist)
3.System Of A Down(cuz they are against everithing and they KickASS Metal Style!)
4.Black Sabbath(Ozzy rocks!!!!!!! :evil: )
5.Alice Cooper(house of fire!!)
6.Meat Loaf(you know...that FAT guy singing Bat out of hell in '79)
7.Nirvana(smells like destruction apetite and drugs...GO Kurt GO!!!)
8.Manowar(damn f****** metal man!!!!! and the loudest band in history:129 DB at a concert)
9.Iris(a romanian band...YOU JUST GOT TO LISTEN TO THEM!)
10.pHOENIX(A romanian band....a kind of folkrock tough but were the ones who inspired the revolution in 89...by beeing diffrent and not obeying those red pants in the parlament)(THE STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL ROCK!!!)
Note:the bands listed above are my favourite and not exactly in the same order.thank you

Strobe
26-06-2005, 09:28 PM
whooo, a metal thread...veeeeery nice!!! :D

my top artist list:

1. anathema
2. my dying bride
3. cemetary
4. paradise lost
5. tiamat
6. katatonia
7. the 3rd and the mortal
8. winter
9. sentenced
10. moonspell

BeefontheBone
26-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I've mentioned this before, but if you like Anathema you should check out Les Smith's (who used to be in Cradle of Filth) side project Ship of Fools - metal psychadelia with an amazing Wizard of Oz sample. The whole album's absolutely incredible.

lethe
27-06-2005, 12:52 AM
I find Manowar truly disgusting. Their lyrics are dull, some mix of slanged hair metal with bitter attitude, which is one they stand at all times. Both "Warriors Of The World" and their other album I heard (can't remember the name, something from 91/92) failed to get my attention musically too. I believe they might sound good live, they have the beat after all (and metal concerts scarce around here, so anything is a go) :whistle: but I wouldn't look too much further into them.

I'm based mostly on rock and grunge. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, A Perfect Circle, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, etc If I'm too choose any "preferred" area of metal, I guess I would pick some mix between progressive and melodic (Nightwish, Sonata Artica, Dream Theater, Evergrey, Opeth, Tool, Ayreon), it's the one I hear the most, even though I can enjoy basically everything in the area if it has any quality.

Weird fact: Sometimes I freak out and have the need to listen doom metal for days and days non-stop, or I feel like having a heroin hangover and my eyes hardly move. Amorphis, Lake of Tears, My Dying Bride, The Gathering, Forsaken, Katatonia to name a few. Gothic metal also comes handy as I love melodic depressive music, but most reknowned bands of this style turned out very mainstream and not doing their best nowadays. (Evanescence, Therion, Type O Negative, Bauhaus, After Forever). Same can be said about Anathema and Amorphis, their "new" (last couple of years) stuff is purely :sick:

Mercury
27-06-2005, 06:40 AM
And... where is the HammerFall?

Hearts on fire he :)

PrejudiceSucks
27-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Airut, it doesn't matter whether you know finnish or not (in fact, it helps me to enjoy it), they're a great metal band.

Flop
27-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Mercury@Jun 27 2005, 08:40 AM
And... where is the HammerFall?

Hearts on fire he :)
I bought a cd with Hammerfall a couple of years ago, because the cover resembled the style of Manowar. On I was a song called renegade. When I listened to it, I found out that it was actually a song about the tv show, renegade. That's right people, the one with Lorenzo Llamas. Right then, I lost all respect for Hammerfall, and can no longer stand to listen to any of their music. :)

See, I don't mind that bands write songs about books, supreheroes, films, or even tv shows. But if they do a song about a tv show, at least chose a tv show that isn't one of the crappiest ever made. LOL

Spoonman
27-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Well, there are all sorts of different metal categories (and ofcourse most of them just aren't "true" <_< :yawn:), but this is what I like:

- NiN (duh)
- Pitchshifter

and less frequently:
- Fear Factory
- Pantera
- Meshuggah
- Alice in Chains (perhaps not really metal, but still I like it)
- Laberinto

Dino
27-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, I like Ronnie James Dio's stuff the most.

For those who don't know, he's ex Black Sabbath. Rainbow and Elf vocalist.

As for other bands, I also like Guns'n'Roses (even though they can be classified as hard rock) and Iron Maiden.

UnHoly
28-06-2005, 10:13 AM
A listen too all kind of metal, from heavy to black. My favourite bands are Iron Maiden, Helloween, Mayhem, Opeth, Hunter, Slayer, Kat and much more. I don't like those metal-like bands like SOAD, LP, Korn.

Sauvastika
28-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Nightwish (Amazing vocals and great atmospheric sound)
Metallica (Mostly the pre-Load stuff, but some of the newer stuff is good as well)
Children Of Bodom (Amazing instruments and great vocal talent)
Demons & Wizards (A project between Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, both bands are good, but their collaboration kicks arse)
Within Temptation
Judas Priest
Mudvayne
System of a Down

The Levitating Nun
28-06-2005, 05:33 PM
oo mine...

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Dragonforce
Lorenguard
Queens of the stone age

I've never understood the problem between punk and metal fans I like them both really.

Spoonman
28-06-2005, 08:49 PM
yeah well punks are against everything (especially against generalisations) :P

BeefontheBone
28-06-2005, 08:50 PM
There's an amazing track on The Faint's last album called "Dropkick the Punks" - the vocals are a brilliant mick-take of Sid Vicious. Awesome.

Frodo
29-06-2005, 01:42 AM
I like Guns And Roses best. :band:

I must be one of the few people to still believe they will release a new album (the infamous Chinese Democracy).

I also like Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, and Muse. LOL

ReamusLQ
29-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Frodo@Jun 28 2005, 06:42 PM
I like Guns And Roses best. :band:

I must be one of the few people to still believe they will release a new album (the infamous Chinese Democracy).

I also like Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission, and Muse. LOL
I wouldn't call Muse Metal so much, as more like harder rock. They remind me of Metallica in their musicality, but they really aren't harsh enough to be metal (in my oppinion)

The Fifth Horseman
29-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Hammerfall - can never really get enough of them.
I especially like Way of the Warrior. On earphones and really, really LOUD setting. Then I sing to the lyrics. Works like 220v right into the brain.
Other songs aint bad either - Templars of Steel, The Metal Age etc, altough I'm not really sure if I like their most recent album. Most of the songs just aint got the same feel like the older albums. And I definitely don't like those weak pieces that were present in Crimson Thunder album.

Manowar - a few of their songs are actually nice. Hail and Kill (HAIL! HAIL! HAIL-AND-KILL!), Dawn of Battle, Return of the Warlord and Battle Hymns are fairly decent.

Amon Amarth - sometimes I just get so f***ing depressed. So then I fire up either Legend or Death in Fire tracks and after a few repeats I get a lot psyched up. Just what I need these times.

Ensiferum - Some Viking Metal doesn't hurt from time to time

Thyrfing - see Ensiferum...

I'm not really sure if Inkubus Sukkubus qualifies as Gothic Metal or not. Some of their songs seem like that, and at the same time some don't.

Wacken... where did I hear this name... Ah-ha! Hammerfall once did a live play there, right?

Apocalypse Dude
29-06-2005, 11:01 AM
@ Frodo, I like the old Guns 'n Roses aswell but I don't think that Chinese Democracy will ever see the light of day. And if it does It's just not the same without Slash, Duff and Matt. Like geez, the new guitarist calls himself buckethead!?!?! :eeeeeh:

Dino
29-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I agree... You know, IMHO, G'n'R DON'T and CAN'T exist without Slash.

Apocalypse Dude
29-06-2005, 01:06 PM
But if you like that classic G 'n R sound you should listen to Velvet Revolver. The new band featuring Slash Duff and Matt from G 'n R. Good old classic sleash rock

another_guest
29-06-2005, 01:31 PM
My favourite genres: doom (especially funeral doom, less trad doom), black (both keyboard black and more old school types), some death metal,...

The genres I never got into are power and heavy metal. I leave out nu-"metal" for obvious reasons :D

WolverineDK
29-06-2005, 01:35 PM
well in the genre of metal i like the symphonic heavy metal by Nightwish

and in "true metal" i like Manowar and Majesty and Iron Maiden

(true metal is a meaning of their very hard metal)

Metallica i like too from the album "Metallica" (the black album) and before and their live album with the orchestra , but i am really fond of the bootleg recordings with them.

and another "metal band" i like is Gunsīn Roses

(ok they were my first "heavy metal" band but they are maybe more heavy rock, and not metal)

and as i have posted before i i like so many genres and bands so my taste in music is very varied (from classical music to symphonic heavy metal)

lethe
29-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Buckethead is a good guitar player, but doesn't have a defined style like Slash, that's one of the things that make Slash much better in my opinion, even if he lacks some technique in comparison with BH.
Velvet Revolver and actual GNR both lack something. Slash isn't in GNR, Axl voice isn't in Velvet, even though Scott is good too. I liked STP a lot, but I got too used to listen Slash riffs along with Axl's voice. :whistle: so now it's all kind of weird, and I lost attraction to both bands.

Chinese Democracy... Right, and I'm the pope.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("Spoonman")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> yeah well punks are against everything (especially against generalisations)[/b][/quote]

Putting me under the punk stereotype?? :sniper: :ranting: :Titan:

:bleh:

Shrek
29-06-2005, 01:44 PM
wow.... the only metal musics i can hear are ballads... all the other are too, how shall i call them, noisy :crazy:

i have a Scorpions with a philarmonic orchertra album and it really calms down my nerves :yawn:

Frodo
29-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Apocalypse Dude@Jun 29 2005, 01:06 PM
But if you like that classic G 'n R sound you should listen to Velvet Revolver. The new band featuring Slash Duff and Matt from G 'n R. Good old classic sleash rock
Yes, yes, yes.
Thanks for telling me about them. (rushes out to buy Velvet Revolver cd).

Of course, we can always hope for a miracle, and hope the original line-up reform and release an album. :whistle: :angel:

How amazing would that be the hear Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steve Adler together again? :w00t:

:band:

EDIT
@Apocalypse Dude. Buckethead has been in and out of the band so often, I have lost count. Axl & Slash are a classic team.

Flop
29-06-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't know. I think axl has pretty much hit rock bottom, since he did that radio voice in GTA: san andreas. But to be honest I never really cared to much for him. I love the old G'n'R albums, but Axl Rose has always annoyed me somehow.

That Velvet Revolver thingie doesn't sound bad, though. I think I'll give it a listen, the next time I'm in a record store.

And didn't Scorpions make Winds of Change? I don't think you could call them a metal band, even with all the good will in the world. It's more like a rockpop band IMO. I love Winds of Change though, it's a classic. :)

Apocalypse Dude
29-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Winds of change is a ballad the rest of the scorpions numbers are more old skool metal. (really old skool metal ea. boring.., but never the less metal..)

Flop
29-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Okay then, I guess they're in. I tend to get them confused with Europe, though, who IMO definitely can not ever be called a metal band. :)

PrejudiceSucks
29-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Axl Rose is an introvert nowadays. GnR were never very good *dones wet animal skins*.

Oh yead, SoaD are a good band. Mezmerize is a pretty good album, although I preferred Toxicity more.

Chuck the plant
29-06-2005, 03:42 PM
@ Flop about Scorpions: You should check out "Lovedrive", "Breakout" (There's a reason why Six Feet Under covered the title-song on their "Graveyard Classics"-Album, you know ;) ), "Love at first sting" and most of the other older albums, they were definately HEAVY Metal before they figured that ballads and pop sold better in the 90s...

As for german Metal (and one of the best Metal Bands EVER):
Check out Accept, especially the first 4 or 5 albums, it doesn't get much better than this (plus you can tell from MANY TRBNGR - No, THEY are NOT "Metal" - songs how big of an influence Accept have been for them).

@ danny252 (and some others): HAMMERFALL??? LOL LOL LOL

I mean, c'mon: HAMMERFALL!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

LOL LOL LOL

Marinkorpse
29-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Wow this is a really wacky mix of band, many of them "not true metal" as Manowar would say, jaja! I think that's really cool, most of the time this threads end in a slaughtery just to see wich band is more nasty or some other stupid stuff.
In my case I kinda like many genres. What I don`t like at all are Hevy metal bands with 3 minutes crazy guitars solos and sharp voices screaming. I really like rotten throats like Max Cavalera and Cory Taylor. So Mudavayne, Slipknot, Soulfly, Sepultura, Fear Factory, Meshuggah and so on. I also like bands like System of a Down. I'm really a fan of grunge music (this comment should be offtopic :whistle: ), like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Blind Melon, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc...

lethe
29-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Marinkorpse@Jun 29 2005, 04:23 PM
I'm really a fan of grunge music (this comment should be offtopic :whistle: ), like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Blind Melon, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc...
Amen.

The Fifth Horseman
30-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Jun 29 2005, 03:42 PM
I mean, c'mon: HAMMERFALL!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
There's nothing wrong with Hammerfall.
I'd risk to express an opinion that some of their songs might be a good introduction into Metal music for those who had little contact with it before. For me, they definitely were.

Yobor
30-06-2005, 01:56 PM
I personally dislike extremely heavy metal. Lighter Metal is ok though. The singing on really heavy sounds like nails on a chalk board. Gahh :sick:

another_guest
30-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Yobor@Jun 30 2005, 01:56 PM
I personally dislike extremely heavy metal. Lighter Metal is ok though. The singing on really heavy sounds like nails on a chalk board. Gahh :sick:
Nothing like the scraping of rusty nails on a chalk board, or deep deeeeeep growls :)

Chuck the plant
30-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Jun 30 2005, 10:20 AM
I'd risk to express an opinion that some of their songs might be a good introduction into Metal music for those who had little contact with it before.
Why not stick to the bands that Hammerfall copy so shamelessly?

omg
30-06-2005, 04:12 PM
who are hammerfall?

???

anyways my fave metal acts are
death - (spirtual healing is the best death metal album e v e r)
napalm death
bloodbath - (only just heard em, but they are gr8)
megadeath
faith no more
edited just to add system of a down, they truly rule

as for crossover stuff its gotta be
N.I.N
atari teenage riot
alec empire - (destroyer album is crazy, like a mix between gabba techno and metal/hard punk)
fear factory
the shizit - (need badly to import there album)
o and i always like marily manson for his theatrics.

and korn is good when i am in the mood.

Shunk Eat Enemy
05-07-2005, 06:56 AM
omg you and i will get along great those are some great bands

isnt man o war a ''hair'' band ie: Poison
no offence against hair bands Pantera was one when they VERY first came out but lost that look LOL
@marin kopse i love all those bands corey taylor has the best range of a melodic voice
for those who dont likem that much theres stone sour (corey taylor) like a toned down slipknot

for all you metalheads have you heard of 40 below summer they kick behind and theres a fan site completely legal that lets you dl some songs because they werent signed at the time heres a linky follow the sun (http://www.followthesun.net/music.php)
songs id suggest ALL OF THEM the best ones are step into the sideshow, I'm so ugly, self medicate, taxicab confessions, still life, Rain

id wouldn't classify SOAD as metal there rock and metal they got plenty of funny & weird stuff buts its great korn they are metal in my book but there either you likem or hatem and LP they went down hill i recently removed a poster of them due to the crapy collistion coarse stuff they did

The Fifth Horseman
05-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Why not stop trolling?

who are hammerfall?
Power Metal band. Sort of like Manowar, but a bit slower and more refined.

Chuck the plant
05-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Jul 5 2005, 03:29 PM
Why not stop trolling?

who are hammerfall?
Power Metal band. Sort of like Manowar, but a bit slower and more refined.
So you mean to tell me that Hammerfall do NOT take "strong inspiration" from especially Accept and Iron Maiden?

BTW, why not stop taking every so little and cheap opportunity to make a flame against me? Grow up! LOL

troop18546
05-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Jun 29 2005, 04:46 PM
GnR were never very good
In short - bullsh*t, man. :whistle:
If Guns n' Roses aint good metal, then I dont know what is... :whistle:
(This wasnt a flame - just a disagreement... :angel: )

Shunk Eat Enemy
05-07-2005, 06:44 PM
one reason why i dont like guns&butter is the gta san andreas commercial and the game itself ive grown to hate that song so much he likes to whii eeee ine LOL

Blood-Pigggy
05-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Guns & Roses aren't metal, they're Hard Rock, there's a difference, Hard Rock fits into categories such as Queen, Deep Purple, etc.

I don't think Metal is deserving enough to put those bands in it's genre.

PrejudiceSucks
05-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Queen - Hard Rock - eh?

Hmm...

Lonely Vazdru
05-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Jul 5 2005, 08:51 PM
Queen - Hard Rock - eh?
I totally agree. I wish Queen were hard rock. But they are way beyond that. They are MUSIC. :w00t:

By the way, PrejudiceSucks, change your desert eagle for a Glock, or even better a H&K CAWS.
44 Mag is for little dickies ! :whistle:

tazzy_s
05-07-2005, 11:23 PM
pretty much all the bands that are listed are my faves so no sense or relisting them here , also Misfits are also good as well (even though they are technically not metal)

Apocalypse Dude
06-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Well G 'n R isn't metal band that's true but there were very good in there early days, "appetite for destruction" is a classic album wich everbody who like heavy music should own.

And as far is metal is concerned I saw a Rammstein live show last weekend, it was the coolest performance I've ever seen in my live....

troop18546
06-07-2005, 12:27 PM
O.K. a mistake. Queen - GODS.

PrejudiceSucks
06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
And/Or royalty.

Oh btw, this is for an RPG, I don't really own a Deagle.

BeefontheBone
06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Do you own a Beagle?

Flop
12-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I went out a bought the latest Iron Maiden cd, Dance of Death, yesterday. Although the cd is from 2003, I didn't bother to buy untill I saw it at reduced price. I wish I'd bought it earlier, though, since it rocks IMO. Incidentally, I watched them live a few months prior to the release of this cd, where they played one or two of the tracks, but I'd forgotten all about that untill I saw the cd yesterday.

Did anyone else hear it? What do you think?

Omuletzu
13-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by MadMarius@Jun 26 2005, 05:58 PM
9.Iris(a romanian band...YOU JUST GOT TO LISTEN TO THEM!)
10.pHOENIX(A romanian band....a kind of folkrock tough but were the ones who inspired the revolution in 89...by beeing diffrent and not obeying those red pants in the parlament)(THE STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL ROCK!!!)
Note:the bands listed above are my favourite and not exactly in the same order.thank you
:ot: Hehe sa intzeleg ca eshti roman?

On-topic metallica rules :)
And i really like some tracks from their latest album(Invisible kid, Some kind of monster, St. Anger, Frantic).It's not as good as what they used to create but it still rocks

Shadow_Stalker
24-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I listen to metal since i was 12 :D
Howewher i won't call myself a metalhead:I enjoy many types of music even if rock\metal maybe is my favourite genere.
Howewher my top ten rock\metal bands maybe is:

1.Alice Cooper
2.Metallica
3.Guns n' Roses
4.Shadow Gallery
5.Rush
6.Deep Purple
7.Black Sabbath
8.Iron Maiden
9.Black Label Society (zakk wylde,ozzy's ex guitarist,band)
10.Megadeth (especially the period with marty friedman,expecially rust in piece)

The bands are put with no order and i left out many many many bands that i dig...

Xikarita
25-07-2005, 08:58 PM
The first metal band I ever listened to was Iron Maiden, the album ''The Number Of The Beast''- a classic!

I also like:

Dream Theater
early Metallica
In Flames
Children Of Bodom
Old Man's Child
Summoning
Iced Earth
Lacrimosa
Dark Tranquility
Slayer
Megadeth
Therion

And the oldies! (not necessarily Metal...)

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Deep Purple
Saxon
Carlos Santana
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath

And many more that I don't remember right now :angel:

Shunk Eat Enemy
28-08-2005, 12:16 AM
new disturbed cd coming out 9/20 if any one cares i heard 2 tracks of it already its pretty kickass

ooh and alice cooper is back

Ioncannon
28-08-2005, 05:42 AM
My favourit band has to be Finntroll. Folk metal FTW!!!! LOL also like Manowar, really nice songs, and nightwish. Really like She is my Sin.

Xikarita
28-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Ioncannon@Aug 28 2005, 06:42 AM
My favourit band has to be Finntroll. Folk metal FTW!!!! LOL also like Manowar, really nice songs, and nightwish. Really like She is my Sin.
Oh, that band rocks! I loved the album Nattfodd! :ok:

Ioncannon
28-08-2005, 02:19 PM
yes, fav songs are Trollhammaren, Eliytres and a few others. Also like stuff on the Jaktens Tid album

Himmler
31-08-2005, 02:23 PM
ok..my fav now:

Death Metal:
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse
six feet under
Vena Cava
Avskild

Black Metal:
Burzum
Immortal
Emperor
Marduk(old)
Negura Bunget
Vokodlok(idk if it's black metal)
Graveland
Darken(project)
Bethlehem
Opera IX(it's not black..but close)

and few others... :Titan:

Shunk Eat Enemy
04-09-2005, 09:01 PM
the singer from Voivod died :cry:

gorkur
13-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Ooohh.. Metal topic :D

Iron Maiden, Bruce's solo stuff and Manowar are all my long time fave's but I also like bands like (no particular order) Falconer, Rhapsody, Nightwish, Brainstorm, Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, Annihilator, Symphony X and Hammerfall.

For the harder stuff it's really only Finntroll and the latest albums by Immortal.

For computerized metal I must mention Rob Zombie, NIN and Rammstein.

Currently looking for stuff by Machine Men, Stratovarious.

I must also mention that I like all Maiden albums except for Virtual XI and I think Blaze's solo stuff is quite good :)

Hail And Kill!! :Titan:

moogle
13-09-2005, 03:14 AM
AC/DC is it Heavy Metal or Rock? Discuss.

Himmler
13-09-2005, 06:29 AM
:eeeeeh: heavy metal

Lonely Vazdru
13-09-2005, 06:55 AM
I'd say hard rock. Definitly NOT metal.

@ Gorkur : Stratovarius ROCKS ! :ok:

Himmler
13-09-2005, 07:11 AM
manowar..iron maiden...they all are the same to me as i don't listen any of them

Xikarita
18-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Lonely Vazdru@Sep 13 2005, 07:55 AM

@ Gorkur : Stratovarius ROCKS ! :ok:
Not without Timo the singer....

Lonely Vazdru
18-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Oh ! He's gone then ? I haven't checked out Stratovarius since Intermission in 2001, so the new singer sucks then ? :blink:

Blood-Pigggy
18-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by moogle@Sep 12 2005, 10:14 PM
Hard Rock
There is no way in hell it could be Metal.

Chuck the plant
18-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Times change. So do labels. When AC/DC started, they were most definitely considered "Metal". Just like Deep Purple, Led Zep or Black Sabbath or many others.

Blood-Pigggy
18-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Of course, but it seems ridiculous now, Metal is far different than it's baby days back in the late 70's and early 80's.
Deep Purple? Metal? That just sounds wrong.

Chuck the plant
19-09-2005, 12:07 PM
I take it you have the most definite and objective definition of "Metal" then? :whistle:

RedHeadSebbe
19-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I listen alot to Nightwish....But thets the only good band that i know...I really like the combination Rock/Opera

Blood-Pigggy
21-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Chuck the plant@Sep 19 2005, 07:07 AM
I take it you have the most definite and objective definition of "Metal" then? :whistle:
No, I don't have a exact definition of Metal, but it's mostly because I don't listen to it.
I don't prefer this kind of music anyhow.

DeathDude
21-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Mostly listen to lots of Queensryche, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, saw Queensryche yesterday in concert. :Brain:

A most excellent show, they are wicked live, truly wicked. :kosta:

lethe
21-09-2005, 08:40 PM
"Heavy metal" and "Hair metal" were never metal to be honest, just simple rock, so I'd put AC/DC under heavy metal.

The Fifth Horseman
22-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Heh... Manowar being classified as rock? Has the hell just frozen over? :[img]http://www.abandonia.com/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

Xikarita
24-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by lethe@Sep 21 2005, 09:40 PM
"Heavy metal" and "Hair metal" were never metal to be honest, just simple rock, so I'd put AC/DC* under heavy metal.
Then you would put AC/CD under heavy metal, but not Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, etc.?

@Lonely Vazdru: Yes, he left due to some bickering with Timo the Dictator :whistle: I haven't listened to their latest album yet, but it seems they have a girl singer now. I miss you, Timo :cry:

lethe
24-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I don't know enough of those to classify them. I know at best 2 or 3 songs of each of those bands.

HighProtein
25-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Crisis http://www.crisissite.com
Dream Theater http://www.dreamtheater.net
Fates Warning http://www.fateswarning.com
Iron Maiden http://www.ironmaiden.com
KMFDM (has some metal tracks) http://www.kmfdm.com
PIG (has some metal tracks) http://www.raymondwatts.com
Spiral Architect http://www.spiralarchitect.com

Shunk Eat Enemy
25-09-2005, 10:40 PM
KMFDM now theres a band i havent heard in a while... the song Ultra is very good

please stop bringing up manowar it scares me :ph34r:

Cryogenix
25-09-2005, 10:48 PM
My favorites are: Twilightning, Iron Savior, Virgin Steele, Secret Sphere, Labyrinth, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Edguy, Nightwish...

gorkur
26-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Shunk Eat Enemy@Sep 25 2005, 10:40 PM
KMFDM now theres a band i havent heard in a while... the song Ultra is very good

please stop bringing up manowar it scares me :ph34r:
Why?

What's wrong with Manowar?

omg
26-09-2005, 12:21 PM
as gay icons they are probably good.

Xikarita
26-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by omg@Sep 26 2005, 01:21 PM
as gay icons they are probably good.
:D This has already been discussed in another thread...

Kearnsy
26-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I like metal at certain times sometimes i cant stand it and sometimes it all I want to listen to.

In maths there is a girl I sit next to (goth) who always has her i-pod blaring with metal (its a nice collection!!) so we listen to that most lessons.

maths (or math) + Metal = suprisingly good. :ok:

Shadow_Stalker
03-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Shunk Eat Enemy@Aug 28 2005, 12:16 AM

ooh and alice cooper is back
Yeah the coop is back,the new disc dirty diamonds sound a lot like his '70 discs with his original band.It isn't band but i hope he will someday return to a more heavy style like brutal planet or to some bizzarre stuff like welcome to my nightmare or goes to hell...

nimicitor
12-10-2005, 03:25 PM
my faves:

katatonia
moonspell
in flames
static x
within temptation
nightwish
lacuna coil
rammstein
devil driver
mushroomhead
hatebreed
machine head
mudvayne

i dont think ive ever met anyone who likes katatonia too :(

TheChosen
20-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Strangely, listening heavy metal makes me feel relaxed.

lethe
20-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by nimicitor@Oct 12 2005, 03:25 PM
You do now.

Xikarita
22-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by lethe+Oct 20 2005, 08:53 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lethe @ Oct 20 2005, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-nimicitor@Oct 12 2005, 03:25 PM
i dont think ive ever met anyone who likes katatonia too* :(
You do now. [/b][/quote]
Same here! :D I listen to ''Viva Emptiness'' all the time :ok:

The Fifth Horseman
25-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Strangely, listening heavy metal makes me feel relaxed.

For me it's also exhaustion on top of that - you can't keep singing to the lyrics of Way of the Warrior, Hail and Kill or any other Hammerfall or Manowar song for too long without getting tired.

Himmler
05-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by nimicitor@Oct 12 2005, 03:25 PM

I have their albums but I don't listen any song :)

Sebatianos
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by moogle@Sep 13 2005, 05:14 AM
Where exactly is the difference?

I mean, Rock is such a wide term (it could fit almost anything), but when exactly does rock turn into HM?

Himmler
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
I guess when the themes used are changed

Dark Piedone
05-12-2005, 06:16 PM
1. Ensiferum
2. Einherjer
3. Amon amarath
I just love viking Metal
4. Metallica
5. Iron Maiden
6. AC/DC
Because metal it's not Metal without them
7. Deicide
8. Opeth
9. Dimmu Borgir
10. Korpiklaani (the best of the best)

Thornwood
05-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm surprised at you guys. Anyone here heard of Blind Guardian? They're the first metal band I ever got into and I still listen to them. Their album Nightfall in Middle-Earth is still one of my most prized possessions.
Nightwish, of course. I absolutely love symphonic metal. It'll be interesting to see who's going to be the next lead vocalist, seeing as Tarja Turunen got kicked out. But I trust that the next album will still be great, what with the other members still being there.
Guess I'll have to draw up a list:
Blind Guardian
Nightwish
Finntroll (polka from hell!)
Ensiferum (Viking metal. What more need I say? :Titan: )
Within Temptation (it's a bit poppy, but so beautiful)
Tristania (especially Beyond the Veil)
Immortal (Sons of Northern Darkness is one of the few black metal albums I own, but I really love it.)
Arch Enemy (especially their new stuff, because Angela Gossow is just such an amazing vocalist)
Opeth (Wow. Just wow. Blackwater Park is my favourite)
After Forever (yet another amazing female vocalist, and what variety this band has in their musical styles!)
Kamelot (Especially Epica and the Black Halo. Just listen to them, you'll see what I mean.)

And finally...
Iron Maiden (Nothing more need be said of them. Just listen for yourself)

Himmler
05-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Thornwood@Dec 5 2005, 09:21 PM

Immortal (Sons of Northern Darkness is one of the few black
ah look what you did....u made me scatter all the cd-s around my room to find Immortal LOL

dark angel
09-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I like....

S.O.A.D
N.I.N
Nirvana
Chimera
KoRn ( I got Twisted Transistor, IT ROCKS!!!)
Children Of Bodom (lake bodom, my personal fav)
Trivium
Him
Slipknot (not my fav but they're ok i guess)
Nightwish (cant believe they sacked Tarja!)
Rammstein
Alkaline Trio

and im not sure what genre music they are

!!!!!!!My Chemical Romance!!!!!!!

well that just about covers it... but i got more.........

Arch Enemy are.... ok

Nick
10-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Has Nightwish already found replacement for Tarja? (If there was post - sorry, I don't want to browse them all :)).

Thornwood
12-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Himmler+Dec 6 2005, 12:46 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Himmler @ Dec 6 2005, 12:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Thornwood@Dec 5 2005, 09:21 PM

Immortal (Sons of Northern Darkness is one of the few black
ah look what you did....u made me scatter all the cd-s around my room to find Immortal LOL [/b][/quote]
Aw, sorry. But it was worthwhile in the end, neh?

No, they still haven't found a replacement for Tarja. But We just have to be patient. Better to wait than for them to choose someone really crappy in their haste. It's not as hopeless as some people might think; singers like Isabel Bayrakdarian and Renee Fleming let me know that.

Chef Boyardee
22-12-2005, 11:51 PM
I remember back when I first joined Abandonia I was into power metal. Now my tastes are much more refined and I'm more into viking and folk metal. Among my favorite bands are Mithotyn, Moonsorrow, Thyrfing, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Taunusheim, Equillibrium, and a million others.

Iron_Scarecrow
23-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Wow, Chef Boyardee's back. How you been?

Chef Boyardee
23-12-2005, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@Dec 23 2005, 02:14 AM
Wow, Chef Boyardee's back. How you been?
Not too bad mate, been working on college and my music, and thinking about making another game soon.

Iron_Scarecrow
23-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I didn't know you even made a first, well done. :ok:

Note my excessively high post count since you were here last. :tomato:

The Fifth Horseman
23-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Thyrfing and Ensiferum are great, indeed.

Thornwood
23-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Mmm, Viking metal. I was recently introduced to Moonsorrow while I was hanging out with some German students in Lapland. Now I feel compelled to buy one of their CDs as soon as I see one.

DeathDude
23-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Some of my favourite Metal acts as of late, Dream Theater, classicness such a talented band all around John Petrucci one of the best guitarists in the business today, same with John Myung one of the best bassists and Mike Portnay a killer drummer who turns Neil Peart to goo. :P One of my fav metal bands and been getting into a lot of in flames loving their stuff, can't wait for their album when it hits this february 2006 :Brain:

And Kreator too, seeing them in March over here, loving their stuff. :cheers:

Nosferrath
24-12-2005, 07:36 PM
There's just too many bands i like : Iron Maiden, AC/DC, CoB, Stormlord, Six Feet Under, Megadeth, Haggard, ...

bruno
26-12-2005, 01:25 PM
The best it is Metallica, they will live forever.... :Brain:

DeathDude
26-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Old School Metallica maybe

New Metallica hahahahaha no. :bleh:

Lightside
26-12-2005, 09:28 PM
1) Rhapsody (My gods. I know most of them on a personal basis too...)
2) Subway to Sally (German Mittelalter Metal)
3) Schandmaul (German Mittelalter Metal)
4) Iron Maiden!!!! YARR!!
5) 3 Inches of Blood
6) Megadeath!
7) Children of Bodom
8) Tristania
9) Blut Aus Nord
10) Avantasia!

Regards,
Lightside

bruno
27-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by DeathDude@Dec 26 2005, 07:19 PM
Old School Metallica maybe

New Metallica hahahahaha no.* :bleh:
Yes, you have reason, the old Metallica, the new songs are very commercial..... :not_ok:

I like ride lightning, Master of puppets, and so more...

DeathDude
27-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Master of Puppets one of the best thrash metal albums eva. :D

Shunk Eat Enemy
28-12-2005, 10:36 PM
woot i got my ghost machine cd today

its really good its got the singer from motograter and it sounds alot like them but a little bit like Tool with a soothing sound

The Fifth Horseman
29-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Mmm, Viking metal. I was recently introduced to Moonsorrow while I was hanging out with some German students in Lapland. Now I feel compelled to buy one of their CDs as soon as I see one.
If you're a bit into really heavy sound, try Amon Amarth. That's Viking Melodic Death Metal - pretty good, but needs some getting used to.

Nosferrath
29-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Lightside@Dec 26 2005, 10:28 PM
6) Megadeath!

Hmm .... thought it was megaDETH.

Ioncannon
29-12-2005, 04:15 PM
My favourits are:

Manowar
Dragonforce
Nightwish
Finntroll

I am starting to listen to Rhapsody and its awsome, I love epic metal. Anyonme listen to Dragonforce? Really nice.

WaAn
04-01-2006, 09:11 PM
I just love Metallica, but only old ones, later albums suxx!
Iron Maiden - The ones with Dickinson rule. Other are okay.

"...You and only God will know what could be done
You and only God will know i am the Chosen One
Could it be it's the end of the world
All the things that we cheerished and loved
Nothing left but to face this all on my own
Cause i am the Chosen One..."

Up the Irons!

bruno
04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by WaAn@Jan 4 2006, 11:11 PM

Up the Irons!
Menwar it is very good also, and is songs like that with began with a sentec like: "grandfather tell me a story", who remember this song. LOL

Yobor
05-01-2006, 12:02 AM
I do not particularly like Metallica. They are just like any other band. Yeah, they might be the first, but their style can be imitated. You can't imitate Floyd or Zepplin or Van Halen (They might not be metal but the metaphor applies)

DeathDude
05-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Maiden is a killer band course the old stuff is good, but the new stuff brave new world and dance of death are definitely on tops imo, they really are still one of the best metal acts out there.

Old School Metallica definitely is not the same as other bands, they were definitely distinct with their songs and yeah you can imitiate them, but consider that somewhat of an honor to do that, and yeah those examples you listed aren't metal obviously, :P going to need to prove to people metal acts dude if you think you can say metallica is the same as other bands. :angel: I'm talking old school metallica, new school doesn't count. :bleh:

HighProtein
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I've been listening to Testament recently (minus their songs will cookie monster vox)
If you like Overkill and old Metallica you'll like Testament
I saw Dream Theater 3 times last year.
I like all types of metal except crap that makes it to the radio/tv and death metal (other than Cynic)

Bieningana
09-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Okay - I'm new here, so at first i want to say hello !
If u're really keen on black or death metal, u should check out some of the Polish stuff. Yes I am Pol... Whatever. I can recommend u especially Vader, Behemoth and Hate - I know that those bands are pretty well-known all over the world, so I think it's worth listening. Also if u like some melodic death - check UNQUADIUM - those r my friends so I'm not supposed to be very critical :whistle: If u like it, it will be good if not ... u will share my thought :D Here u can download some of thier work http://unquadium.metal.pl . I hope u'll like Pols at metal !

WaAn
10-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Close the tags in your signature, Beningana
[B] Jestem z Polski [ B]
Welcome in abandonia. And yeah, i've been listening to Vader, but i didn't like it. :D

Bieningana
10-01-2006, 08:11 PM
WaAn - I told u have to be black/death metal fan; for example I don't like metallica and Iron Maiden(A LOT :bye:), but it doesn't mean they're not good... I recently reached Burzum - a Norwey band - it's somthing I'll listen next months, I believe...

bruno
11-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Bieningana@Jan 10 2006, 10:11 PM
WaAn - I told u have to be black/death metal fan; for example I don't like metallica and Iron Maiden(A LOT :bye:), but it doesn't mean they're not good... I recently reached Burzum - a Norwey band - it's somthing I'll listen next months, I believe...
Metallica they are the best, because of their presence outhers bandīs my survive. :evil:

WaAn
11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I know Bieningana, and i understand this.

Nick
11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I started to like trash and death, what I never loved before. I don't know why... :)
Something like Fear Factory, Arch Enemy. Also I like to listen Nightwish, Therion. And my earlier preferences also there: The Beatles ( :kosta: ), Led Zeppelin and so on.

bruno
12-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Only one moment i defend Metallica because i like very much, but i also like queen, pink floyd, nirvana, smashing pumpkings, megadeth, ramnstein, and outhers. :w00t:

WolverineDK
13-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by little fish+Jan 4 2006, 11:54 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (little fish @ Jan 4 2006, 11:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-WaAn@Jan 4 2006, 11:11 PM

Up the Irons!
Menwar it is very good also, and is songs like that with began with a sentec like: "grandfather tell me a story", who remember this song. LOL [/b][/quote]
The Warriors Prayer: From the album King Of Metal :ok: :D Now we just need a hangbanging smiley

The Fifth Horseman
13-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Bah. Holy War is so much better...

Blacki
17-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't prefer Oldschool-Metal like Metallica that much. For sure it's good and rocks sometimes. But I can't hear it a long time without switching to other music. I prefer more bands like (Just as an example) AILD or The Agony Scene (both play Metalcore), Hammerfall (Yeah! So cool ^^) or Nile (Deathmetal).

DeathDude
17-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Right now myself I'm listening to a lot of Dream Theater, such a great prog metal band, all talented, but also branching out listening to some more like Sonata Artica, Kreator, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Blind Guardian.

And best part on Feb 4, going to see Sonata Artica here, then March 6 Kreator and Napalm Death come here then the day afterwards Opeth is here, going to be a killer next couple of months. :D

bruno
18-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by DeathDude@Jan 17 2006, 08:14 PM
Right now myself I'm listening to a lot of Dream Theater, such a great prog metal band, all talented, but also branching out listening to some more like Sonata Artica, Kreator, Iced Earth, Symphony X, Blind Guardian.

And best part on Feb 4, going to see Sonata Artica here, then March 6 Kreator and Napalm Death come here then the day afterwards Opeth is here, going to be a killer next couple of months. :D
I never had listen before the Napalm Death, but reacently i listen and like it, you have the luck to see them on stage. :cry:

dark angel
19-01-2006, 07:31 PM
^w^ I haven't herd of hardly ANY of these...

or rather just haven't herd any of der songs....

i think im gonna stick with my chemical romance and maybe a bit o' lost prophets
:bleh:

Rinforzando
20-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by DeathDude@Jan 17 2006, 08:14 PM
...And best part on Feb 4, going to see Sonata Artica here...
When you say 'here', where exactly do you mean?

DeathDude
20-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Well ya know you could just look up the tour dates and then volia that's where they are headed. :angel:

Bieningana
23-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Chemical romance is not metal, but Rock... :ot:

Napalm death is real good grind band!

heLL0
24-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Hm, Brutal Thruth, Runemagick, a little bit of Immortal, Hatebreed, Matyr Ad and Acme. oh and Meshuggah..

WaAn
30-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Testament. I've got only one cd, but i like it. And Maiden of course.

Maerlyn
31-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Most people know that metal is dead.

Chuck the plant
31-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Maerlyn@Jan 31 2006, 01:18 PM
Most people know that metal is dead.
In fact, most people who claimed that once are crawling "metal's" a$$ back up again...

Iron_Scarecrow
31-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Chemical Romance are more punk than rock.

Bieningana
31-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Punk is Clash, Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Toy Dolls, Dezerter, Ramones and many more, but not My Chemical Romance - maybe they very want to be in punk genre but nothing connects them to it - music or even image :sneaky:. They're still just another one rock band...

Iron_Scarecrow
31-01-2006, 09:38 PM
That's all 70's and 80's punk. Punk is bit different now.

Playbahnosh
02-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Woah! :omg: and I haven't noticed this thread before? :)

My favorites are always depend on my state of mind and emotions. My top-list for the week:

1. Nightwish (they fired Tarja :cry:)
2. Stratovarius (they make the best music to cope with a break-up)
3. Rammstein (my all time favorites, just not on the top now)
4. Evanescence (I know...I know :tomato: )

And I have many favorite songs, but not bands. Jeez, the song I listened to at least 10000x time is Nightwish - Christabel (Beauty Of The Beast) Now you should really listen to that song, it's just GREAT!

Shrek
23-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes, Nightwish is great... I love it

About Evanescence, they're ok, but their lyrics are too depressive.... just look at the music titles, from "Going Under" to "Bring me to Life" they all are talking about being at the botton (I don't even mention "Torniquet" which I think has one of their best tunes, but the lyrics even say something about "wanting to die".... ). So my advice is: don't listen to them if you are really feeling depressed ;)

(sorry to bump this one up, looks it has been a long time since someone wrote something here :tomato: )

bruno
25-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I didnīt know Nightwish, but after Shrek put me listening some music, i feel i like a lot, thanks....

Maerlyn
28-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Shrek@Feb 23 2006, 09:35 PM

About Evanescence, they're ok, but their lyrics are too depressive.... just look at the music titles, from "Going Under" to "Bring me to Life" they all are talking about being at the botton (I don't even mention "Torniquet" which I think has one of their best tunes, but the lyrics even say something about "wanting to die".... ). So my advice is: don't listen to them if you are really feeling depressed ;)

Sometimes people feel low and like something to relate to. These people are usually teenagers, which is who Evanescence are aimed at. Good for some basic musical entertainment, just dont go reading into it or you'll be dissapointed.

jesters.ice
01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm not one of the biggest headbangers in the world, but I like listening to some bands with metal-like influences ( which doesn't mean the bands I mention are only metal-influenced ;) )..

I'll just make a list:
- Blind Guardian
- Kittie
- Machinae Supremacy (http://www.machinaesupremacy/) ( SiD-Metal from Sweden )
- Rammstein
- Static-X (?)
- Triple Headshot (http://www.myspace.com/tripleheadshot)

(?) = Right putting it here..?

Mostly listening to Machinae Supremacy, though I just discovered them ( 2 weeks ago.. ) - high nostalgic-feelings coming up listening to them.

Icewolf
01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Mh...

Metallica rulez! :D

Like their lyrics! :ok:

WolverineDK
01-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 2more@Mar 1 2006, 10:52 AM
Machinae Supremacy (http://www.machinaesupremacy/) ( SiD-Metal from Sweden )

Yeah, I love their cover version of Giana Sisters main theme :)

DeathDude
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Should be interesting to see if Metallica can put out a good album since the disaster that was St. Anger, now that they have Rick Rubin on board, I have high hopes. :)

Also only a month and 3 days till the new Queensryche Album Operation Mindcrime 2 hits, whoo. :D

Icewolf
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
@ Deathdude:
Do you know what James Hetfield said about St. Anger?

"Well, it was one album that we had a lot of fun with!"

OK, I like Metallica a lot and I have St. Anger and I do listen to it and like not that bad.
But it's sort of weird that you say that this music is FUN... :blink:

Shunk Eat Enemy
02-03-2006, 01:45 PM
i heard a rumor that metallica might just might do ozzfest this year but there managers say they arent
would be nice to see them there though :w00t:

other bands that might be on ozzfest: Disturbed, System of a down, Black Label Soceity

Maerlyn
03-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Icewolf@Mar 2 2006, 11:42 PM
@ Deathdude:
Do you know what James Hetfield said about St. Anger?

"Well, it was one album that we had a lot of fun with!"

OK, I like Metallica a lot and I have St. Anger and I do listen to it and like not that bad.
But it's sort of weird that you say that this music is FUN... :blink:
I would hope that it was fun, i doubt they would put out anything new if it wasnt enjoyable for them to do so - they already have the fame and fortune.

I own the dvd of Metallica making the St. Anger album, its pretty lame. Makes them look like a bunch of pansies, actually. So even from another perspective, the word 'fun' suits them entirely.

Icewolf
03-03-2006, 06:33 AM
But how did they feel when they made the black album (the name is actually Metallica) or Garage Inc? I mean music as a result from your feelings.
St. Anger -> fun
Garage Inc. -> ??? anger?!? or hatred?

I was just wondering when there was an interview with Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield and they were talking about St. Anger and Robert Tujillo(?) and they talked about that.

DeathDude
03-03-2006, 04:23 PM
They may have said they had "Fun" with making the album, but sales don't lie and pretty much everywhere in the metal community it's considered one of their worst, the production is horrible on it, lousy Bob Rock. :not_ok: