PDA

View Full Version : Magic - The Gathering - Battlemage

Suede
23-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi, new to the forums.

I have a feeling that this game can not be classed as abandonware but i have a few question about it.

Can a game that is no longer being sold but is still associated to a well known card game series and online game ever be classed as abandonware?.

I have done a few searches on the web for any sellers but i cant seem to find any. Plus i cant seem to find any related sites leading it to the official webpage of battlemage.
Just thought i'd ask and see if anyone could help clear a few things up on how abandoned games work.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Henrik
24-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Yes, it can.

However... Magic = MicroProse = ESA Protected.

Sorry :(

Swiebertje13
24-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Ehhh???

Wasn't battlemage by Acclaim.

Tom Henrik
24-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Yes, it was. Sorry about that :)

Published By: Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.
Developed By: Realtime Associates, Inc.

None of these are on the ESA list.

Suede
25-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Ah i see, thanks for the info it cleared a few things up.

I was half way through writing a "name this game" thread before i wrote this topic.
I gave away so many clues leading me to the name of this game that its unbelievable. Had a shock that it was part of magic the gathering when i found out.

Thanks.

BlackMageJawa
25-06-2005, 07:40 PM
So is this eligible for upload or not?

I know it's supposed to be pretty bad, but as a big fan of the card game I have wanted to play this for a long time just to see how it was adapted to RTS.

So, assuming it's legal, I'd love to see this one up for download.

Tom Henrik
25-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Have to do a shop search first. And also check the official site to see if it is supported.

Suede
28-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Any luck finding info about this game?.

Ive done a few searches myself and only found reviews and nothing relating to the magic the gathering battlemage official site.

Maybe you have had better luck?.

Thanks.

moogle
28-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Pretty sure its not sold anymore,I remember seing it on other abandon sites...but they still could be warez :not_ok: ...but if it was on Ps1, is probabally no longer sold...

Astral
29-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I had that game, i am fun of this card kinds, but the CD was broken and don't install anymore, the other thing that i remember it doesn't work properly on XP, and there was something like online game, i remember some "ManaLink" button, it worked on my old pentium one 75hrz :max:

moogle
30-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Jun 24 2005, 02:06 AM
Yes, it can.

However... Magic = MicroProse = ESA Protected.

Sorry :(
Wait...isn't X com MicroProse? Then....ergh.

And, are you sure your not thinking of Magic: Battlegrounds?

BeefontheBone
30-06-2005, 11:06 AM
He's already been corrected on that one - MPS did develop another Magic game though.

Astral
30-06-2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.rtassoc.com/images/games/gr_pccover_magicgathering.jpg

Link To Source (http://www.rtassoc.com/gm_magicgathering.html)

It is the pc cover box...

Grate game and as i know it still plays online via Manalink

Borodin
30-06-2005, 01:25 PM
That's not M:TG Battlemage. The cover comes from Microprose's M:TG, a much earlier (and frankly, much better) title. That seems to be a problem in this thread: we're discussing two different games. :D

Astral
30-06-2005, 01:52 PM
http://www.rtassoc.com/images/games/gr_pscover_magicgathering.jpg

Doesn't this game called Magic The Gathering : Battlemage ????

Look for yourself at the picture.

BeefontheBone
30-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Nope, that's the earlier one, which I have, and which is apparently much much better (the artwork's from the Spirit Link card). If you want some extra confusion we could start talking about MtG: Battlegrounds, which is a bit naff but looks pretty.

Suede
30-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Astrals link is the game i'm talking about.

I remember playing the old ps1 magic:the gathering battlemage, and i done a search and it was on pc aswell.
Does this somehow now change the esa copyright protected if you guys have not been thinking the same game as i was?.

BeefontheBone
30-06-2005, 03:36 PM
If you read the first page, the game Astral linked about was published by MPS so is ESA protected, but the inferior Battlemage should be ok if anyone has it to upload.

BlackMageJawa
30-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Here are the M:TG games:

1) Magic: The Gathering (no subtitle). Made by Microprose. RPG-like game where you travel around the world of Shandalar and the battles are proper Magic card games. Had two expansions- Spells of the Ancients and Duels of the Planeswalkers, plus the ManaLink addon to enable online play.

2) Magic: The Gathering- Battlemage. An RTS. Don't know much about the setting, but I believe it's based on the Weatherlight saga.

3) Magic: The Gathering- Battlegrounds. A weird kind of real-time version of the card game. You run around the arena gathering up mana stones, which can be used to cast spells based on cards- summon creatures to go beat up your opponent, use instants and sorceries to beef them up, attack directly, or defend yourself, etc. Looked good, but apparently it isn't. Quite recent, so definitely not abandoned, but should be easy to find on budget if you're interested.

We are discussing the second game, Battlemage in this topic.

Borodin
30-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Thank you. I'd confused Battlemage with Battlegrounds. Best of the three, in my opinion, was the first, though they never did work out some of the rule bugs in that initial release. Good AI on the computer player, though. Sid Meier did the work. I was visiting Microprose's headquarters about 18 months before the game's release, and they were really upbeat about it. Development took too long, though. The game was finally ready after popularity for M:TG had peeked, and it didn't even have the multiplayer element. (That showed up a year after initial release.) I just might rev it up, again.

Too bad M:TG has faded, otherwise somebody might redo the original title. It's one of those prime Microprose titles that leaves you wondering why nobody has issued a version 2.

moogle
30-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Jun 30 2005, 11:06 AM
He's already been corrected on that one - MPS did develop another Magic game though.
I know he was correted, its jus that he said MPS was on ESA list, yet when you doo UFO Enemy unknows, it says Micropose, so I was just wondering whats up with that, released as freeware?

Suede
30-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Never played the first game.

The second was based on a small island where wizards were battling for control of the island or something like that. The battles seems to switch to RTS during the game but i never got the hang of it when i was playing it, which was a shame because i liked the mini story.

Astral
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
BlackMageJawa have answerd, i remember when i buy the microprose MG it was the first one that i remember was on PC then, thas why i had bought it... the newers games that i played was the battlegrounds but the game suxxxx, and i mean it !!!

dwarfo
06-07-2005, 07:22 PM
However magic the gathering is a very nice card game for long winter nights

PrejudiceSucks
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
HotU has the game you want...

hope it isn't warez though...

Suede
06-07-2005, 10:22 PM
That game must be the first one made, and looks completly different from the looks of the screenshots. But i might give it a download if its abandonware, thanks.

BattleMage must be copyright which is a shame but i did expect it .

Thanks for your help all.

EDIT: Typo's

Suede
15-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Sorry to bring this subject up again.

But this is not ESA protected. Aclaim and realtime publishes are not on the ESA protected list for battlemage. Maybe you guys have been confusing magic the gathering ( the 1st game) with battlemage?( the ps1 one game).

This game is not sold anymore and is not ESA protected does this make a difference whether it can be uploaded?.

Just wonder if its a kinda of game you would upload.

Thanks

arete
29-07-2009, 01:47 PM
AlumiuN to review.