PDA

View Full Version : Question About Esa Protected Games..

Coz
06-06-2005, 02:36 AM
I've got a quick question on the ESA protected games. Specifically, the Sierra games. I'm sorry to start another thread related to this whole topic, but I am curious and you folks seem to be experienced in what role the ESA plays in granting permission to distribute unsupported software that is still under copyright that they protect. I'm wanting to set up a fan site as a tribute to the Sierra games of the 80's and early 90's. I'd like to host the abandoned games (not sold or supported) for download since I have the bandwidth available and the time to do it.

I didn't even realize that the ESA will grant permission to make these games available. Since you have prior experience with them, are they willing to grant permission to distribute abandoned Sierra games? Is there any way to know which ones they can and do grant permission for and which ones they do not? Do they require monetary consideration to do so?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Titan
06-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Best way would be to ask Sierra (or the company who owns the trademark) directly, and get a written permission.

IF you get such a permission, notify ESA regarding it, and send them a copy (fax) of the letter you have recived with the permission.

But trust me.. it's not just to ask; Hi, can i host your old games?

You'd have to make it worth for them to agree.. ad-space perhaps?

Coz
06-06-2005, 03:19 AM
Is that what was originally done with the Sierra games that were on the site? Ad space is definitely do-able, if that's what it takes to get permission to distribute.

I just hate to let those games fade into oblivion.

Thanks!

Rav3n
06-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Isn't sierra now owned by Vivendi Universal...Also...They may want to see how many hits your sites gets to dertermine whether the ad-space would be worthwhile. For example...Abandonia would be a good candidate if that were one of the requirements that they looked at becuase abandonia recieves many hits.

Good luck with getting permission. And could you PM me your website address where these games will be hosted please(if you get the permission).. I am a huge fan of Sierra games and I wouldnt mind acquireing a few if you get permission

Thanks

Xinithaous
06-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Same here please

a1s
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
*this post is not provacative or anything, it just comes from lack of etiquette knowlegde*
what's wrong with posting a good old link?!

BeefontheBone
06-06-2005, 09:29 PM
well, if you haven't yet got a site to link to it's maybe a bit pointless - I'm sure he would do if he had the site!

a1s
06-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Rav3n@Jun 6 2005, 11:07 AM
And could you PM me your website address where these games will be hosted please(if you get the permission)
questions? :angel:

Coz
07-06-2005, 01:09 AM
I don't have the site ready to go yet. I'm still working on it. I didn't know that it was the ESA's policy to allow certain websites to host "abandoned" games if permission is requested. I got curious about the possibilities when I'd read that the authors of this site had permission at one point, and wondered what the best way to pursue that permission would be.

Tom Henrik
07-06-2005, 01:17 AM
First of all, you should contact Sierra and ask them. Offering ads for them is a good start.

marko river
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Or you can simply find some russian server for hosting your site. II doub that ESA can ask them to shut your site down since you are paying them, and they don't care since they are not in EU, but that just thinking. I didn't even say something like this :D

The Fifth Horseman
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Marko, you're a nice guy but sometimes you are coming too close to the line, if you get my meaning.

marko river
07-06-2005, 10:53 AM
I know, and you are right.
If am that bad just say it, i'll be good (serious)

Zxby
07-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Hello,

This is somewhat offtopic, but read this article

http://news.gamewinners.com/index.php/news/3070/

It seems that the Nintendo company is deciding to release all of their old titles for free download free of charge. You may think, big deal, what does that have to do with adandonia. Well, for one, it sets a precident that a large video game company is acknowledging the "abandonware" category, and allowing their games for free download shows other giant game companies that this just may be a way to get new customers to buy their newly released games - by allowing their older games to be downloaded for free.

Its very interesting to see that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and some Star Wars titles would be offered for download as well - considering how much Lucasarts protects their intellectual property.

Hades
09-06-2005, 01:19 AM
How i can get this games, i can buy them ?

A. J. Raffles
09-06-2005, 06:35 AM
Not in regular shops, but through ebay etc, yes. But that post really didn't belong in this thread, you know...