PDA

View Full Version : Quest For Glor 4

Wraithix
02-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi there,

I was lucky enough to find this wonderful site before the ESA started regulating.

I had d/loaded QFG4 but heard the non CD version was plaqued with bugs. I was lucky enough to buy a copy on ebay for $5.

Still playing part 2 but wanted to take a quick look at what 4 looked like. I installed it from the CD. When I try to run the game I just get a black screen. I have tried DosBox and VDMsound with no luck.

Noticed on the CD there is a folder called patch or patches. Copied everything over to the installed directory and I still get the same thing.

Any suggestions? Only thing I have not tried (and I am work right now) is let it install to the default directory instead of the my games folder.

Wraithix
06-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Anyone? :(

Flop
06-06-2005, 07:02 PM
From what I've heard the DOS version is way more buggy than the windows version (which should also be on your cd). I have the cd myself, but have never tried out the windows version, so I couldn't say if it works in XP. I'd try that first, though, in compatability mode.

If that doesn't work try disabling sound in the DOS version, and see if that helps. If it does, brace yourself for some nasty bugs (definite CTD's, but they can be worked around, though).

I hope this helps.

Wraithix
07-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Got the windows version to work. Only Sierra title so far I had to run in Win 98 256 color 640x480 mod. Thank you for the response and tip on which version to try and run. :bye:

Flop
07-06-2005, 07:26 AM
You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the game as much as I did. :)

A little tip from me is that it's more fun to play the games in the correct order, as you can import your character from the previous game and play with that. It seems that's what you're doing, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :ok:

Wraithix
07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes, that's what I'm doing. It took alot for me to stick with 2 as that comes off as my least favorite (out of part 1,2, and 3 that I played).

Part 1 had side quests (pretty much constantly) to do while your character developed. In Trials By Fire there are plenty of days where there is nothing to do but practice fighting in the arena or practice spells in a hallway. Ya I do go out and kill creatures but I am constantly struggling with my weight and the amount of coin I have.

I'm sure my problems would not have been there if I had not bought the chain mail armor in part 1. Hopefully in 3 I can buy some leather and ditch the heavy chain.

Only 1 more day till I travel to Raseir :ok:

Flop
07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
A lot of people say that part 2 is their least favourite, but often I think it's mostly about the graphics. I'm not saying that's the case with you, although I don't remember it having no sidequests. Personally part three is my least favourite of the series (not counting part five, which I bought years ago, but still haven't played).

Wraithix
07-06-2005, 11:40 PM
The graphics are crappy in 2 but they didn't bother me at all in part 1. In fact I tried the remake at first and quickly uninstalled it. Wasn't the way I remembered it.

There have been little side quests but they didn't really take me anytime. Such as the wizard's test and the caged beast. I think maybe the days are to long (just noticed the day speed tab). I don't know. I just remember a couple of days I was pounding mana pills and showing a wall who's boss in an alley way with flame dart.

I remembered I had the most fun with 3. I'm sure the graphics have something to do with it but it just seems so much more grand. If I remember correctly you can setup camp while journeying across the land.

My expectations for 4 are high. Lots of people really liked it. Plus it has voice so that will be sweet.

Then it's on to 5.