PDA

View Full Version : Cd-ripped

iratefive
29-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Okay I am downloading a copy of Pax Imperium II from HOTU and it says in the tech notes it is a CD Rip version.....

Can some kind soul give me a step by step process on how to get this bad boy up and running?

BeefontheBone
29-05-2005, 01:18 PM
first up, you should be asking hotu not us - we're different sites, you know. secondly that shouldn't be a problem - just means it was taken from the CD (possibly with some of the movies etc removed to save space), and thirdly wouldn't it have been an idea to try and get it going yourself before asking for help?

omg
29-05-2005, 01:41 PM
agreeing with beef here man, jus search the hotu tech help forum, dont use more than one word for the search though.

iratefive
29-05-2005, 03:56 PM
I was talking in general about CD ripped games...I have gotten a number of them that tell me to put the CD in. It seemed to me that the forums here have a higher level of knowledge then HOTU..sorry to have asked.

Eagle of Fire
29-05-2005, 04:00 PM
It really depend for each CD-Rip since they are all similar but ripped differently. More often than not there is an help file which come with the rip (sometimes not .txt) which should explain to you how to make it work.

If it's a .cue, .bin or similar file you should burn the CD yourself before playing the game.

BeefontheBone
29-05-2005, 05:06 PM
It'll vary from game to game like EoF says. You can also mount the .cue files with Daemon tools or in DOSBox to save burning a CD if it is a CD image.

omg
29-05-2005, 06:12 PM
also some games need patches to allow cd location under nfts , may sound odd but for
dos games for which i have the cd to just get the installer running i ususally have to make an image, mount it into deaomon tools then install it via deomen tools, then install a patch so the game can find the cd image to verify copyright ...
not often it happens, but it happens

Eagle of Fire
29-05-2005, 08:02 PM
That would be called a "crack", not a "patch". ;)

iratefive
29-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Bah I ended up hitting the wrong thing doing the download from HOTU and get like seven segments going at once and they banned me for a week or so LOL.

I got ranked Enemy of the Site...so now I have to wait to try all the advice :)

Thanks for the help anyway

omg
30-05-2005, 12:02 AM
OMG when they say 1 download at a time they mean it.

LOL about having to crack games i own the original cds for, dam xp, im getting temepted to go back to a duel boot sys, with a win 95, or 98 drive for old school dx games.

Xinithaous
31-05-2005, 01:14 PM
If i was u id to wat ive done get a cheap PI/II laptop to lay dosgames on run it wiv dos only and keep a backup of win98 on a externall hDD. long but works well!

omg
31-05-2005, 07:27 PM
sounds like a good idea though, i hate havin win98 on the same hd as xp

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Xini-something... please spell-check your posts and keep the grammar/interpunction as close to acceptable levels as possible. Right now, deciphering what do you mean in your posts is a sure headache.

And by the way - AOLspeak/Netspeak are NOT welcome around. This means no "m8", "u", "wiv" and the like.

Rogue
01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I know about m8, u etc, but what the heck is wiv? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Speaking of cd rip-offs, I hate those. Games without those things (movies, speech etc.) loose on quality, and you are better off to look for those games in bargain baskets in EB stores or gamestop stores if possible.

Just of example, Blood Omen - Legacy of Kain that was offered here as CD rip off, took out all good movies that have set dark mood to the game and that were part of the story.I'm trying to avoid having those...

BeefontheBone
01-06-2005, 12:43 PM
wiv = with; another pointless shortening for the sake of a single letter but at the cost of making you look like an idiot...

I'm with you Anubis - if you can get them cheap with all the movies and so on included it's generally a big improvement. Plus you get the box and stuff.