PDA

View Full Version : Earthworm Jim Se Sound Problem

bedron
12-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Hi all! Recently I downloaded the old classic platform (Earthworm Jim Special Edition for Win 95) from this site, one of my favourites. :)

I have WinXP, and the game graphics and gameplay just worked fine. One thing only to complain is sounds. :not_ok: I can't enable sound in WinXP mode, the sound effects box remain grey when I tried to make it on. Then I set in Properties box the Win95 compatibility, and the sound settings became available in the game. I turned that on, and I have heard sounds for a few secs, when the game immediately have frozen. :angry:

So pls help, how to force sounds work properly with this game on XP?? Do I get some patch or else? Thy for help. :bye:

BeefontheBone
14-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Use VDMSound perhaps.

bedron
14-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@May 14 2005, 04:32 PM
Use VDMSound perhaps.
And how?

samtam90
16-05-2005, 05:45 PM
VDMSound works only with DOS games, not with games that need win95. IF (and only if) the game can be played also in dos, you can try to use vdmsound. Otherwise, i think you should try various settings in the setup.

TheSmyth
17-05-2005, 07:07 AM
This topic was covered a while back:

Apparently, No-One can get the sound working, because there's no sound files. The person who did the upload assumed it was a problem with their machine. But the files are actually missing.

BeefontheBone
17-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Ah, that explains it then. Since we have more server space, if anyone has the CD we could probably put a full version up.

bedron
18-05-2005, 08:57 PM
There are sound files in the game. When I tried to make it win95 compatible, I could turn the sounds on, and they worked! So there are sound files. The only problem here is, that after a few secs it's ALWAYS freezing.

kOS
18-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Since EJ is ESA protected, should we solve this problem? :>

Eagle of Fire
18-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, we can always try to solve this problem. Just act like if it wasn't an Abandonware game, which mean don't send him the game or files from the game or offer a link for a download and you'll be fine. :ok:

kOS
18-05-2005, 10:57 PM
bedron: do you have error with DISPDIB.DLL file when you chose compatibility with win95?

bedron
19-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by kOS@May 18 2005, 10:57 PM
bedron: do you have error with DISPDIB.DLL file when you chose compatibility with win95?
YES!!!!

kOS
19-05-2005, 04:50 PM
i tried to solve this problem, and i think that the only way you can play in EJ SE is to install win98 on one partition or under pc emulator (bosch or virtual pc) :bye:

PsychosesMan
31-01-2007, 02:53 PM
There, in fact, IS a way to play Jim with sound in XP. First, download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit from here:
http://tinyurl.com/mw4kq
(It's a really long address, so I used TinyURL. It leads to file you want on the Microsoft website.)
MS will make you jump through a couple hoops in order to confirm that you have a legit version of Windows, so you'll have to bear through that.
Once you have the Application Compatibility Toolkit installed, go into the toolkit's folder on your Start menu. There should be a Tools subfolder and a "Framework" shortcut. Go into the Tools subfolder and open the Compatibility Administrator. Download this:
http://psychosesman.googlepages.com/EWJimSoundFix.sdb
Open it in Compatibility Administrator. Under "Custom Databases" you should see a "Earthworm Jim 95 in XP" item. Right-click on it and click "Install". Assuming your executable is called "EWJIM3.EXE", this should make it not freeze when it plays sounds. The "dispdib.dll" error will still pop up, but if you just click OK and ignore it, the game will run fine. If the sounds stop playing when you load a new level, simply open the game's Sound menu, uncheck "Sound Effects", close the menu, then open it again and re-check Sound Effects. This should work. Also, rest assured I will do my best to upload the full version with music when it arrives from eBay within the next week or so.

I registered specifically to post this because I got really frustrated before I figured it out and I wanted to save others the frustration. I hope this works for you.