PDA

View Full Version : Status Suggestion

Sebatianos
20-04-2005, 07:16 PM
There are many members that join the forum but leave rather quickly (even if they made many posts while here).
So I suggest that everybody who's been a member for a year (or more) and has the average daily post count at atleast 2 post per day, would become some "honorary member" sign or something like that.
I think it makes a difference if a regular visitor (one who's here long enough and posts enough) makes a statement - or if a complete newby makes it. Especially lately when so many people started questioning the decisions of "higher authorities".

So what do you all think?

Tulac
20-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I think that numbers speak for themselves, so you can see who is active and 'senior', and there's already VIP group, but it would still be good if it doesn't take a long time...

Sebatianos
20-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Well the VIP group is a completely different thing. Someone may become a VIP really quickly (I became one after less then a week). and people also lose their VIP status (look at R Havell - he's been into and out off the VIP group a few times now).

And I doubt most people go and look in the profile of someone they start agruing about (and even so...). Spammers can make it to 1000 posts within two months (I should know). If a person is on the site for two months - that's not really a long time, but can already have more posts then a regular member with 2 posts daily (in a year that would be 730 posts). And who would know more about the site?

Tulac
20-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I don't know, I really don't like the 'categorization', you can look at the join date and number of posts(or pips), and that's enough for me, you don't have to look into a profile...

Dino
20-04-2005, 07:44 PM
I think Seb's idea is good one, but am not sure if that could be done... Maybe a poll?

Danny252
20-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Im the 3rd(4th?) oldest member on the forums, Im not VIP, Mod or Admin. Im the longest running 'normal' forum member. dont I get anything for that? the again, afterwards I wouldnt be as normal..

wormpaul
20-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I like to be in a special group..

But let`s see..

I`m poster nr. 2 (after TOM)

And even not a year here...so i wouldnt get that position :not_ok:

So i say:

Nah, as long it is not ment for me :cry:

Unknown Hero
20-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Maybe half year? *heh, I will fit in there, then*

Lizard
20-04-2005, 09:14 PM
And I doubt most people go and look in the profile of someone they start agruing about (and even so...). Spammers can make it to 1000 posts within two months
Ehehe..... :whistle:
<==

Anyway I would like to become honorable member sometimes... :angel:

Braindead
20-04-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't know whether adding an extra group would really benefit the things you say, seb.

Apart from that, it's a pain to implement user groups in invision 1.3 - let me explain - since you can't assign multiple user groups to a user (like for instance you can in invision 2), this means all forum access permissions have to be adjusted on a permission mask basis for all fora + all members have to be categorized. The more possible member groups we create the more possible combinations member group / permission masks you get, the harder it gets to keep track of things...

To give you an idea for VIP member class we have now for instance 5 permission masks: regular VIPS, VIPS who help to update the main site, VIPS who do translations, VIPS who do translations and update the main site, VIPS who help in the grammar squad.

Depending on the permission mask the user in question has access to different fora.

Edit: having said that implementing it would be technically possible, even in an automatic way if we base the new "class" on postcount. So if you think it 'd be worth the trouble I'll have a look at it... :whistle:

Dino
20-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Does it mean that various VIP masks have different status? I mean, does VIP updater and translator have more benefits in some way than just VIP grammar squaddie?

Braindead
20-04-2005, 09:31 PM
no they have the same benefits vips-wise, they only have access to other fora, the fora they need to do their job actually, for example a vip translator will have access to the translation forum while a grammar vip will have access to the grammar forum.
Perhaps it's a bit confusing I talked only about vips but this works the same with the member group, as we also have member translators, member grammars, etc...

Dino
20-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Ah, so... Well, I'm not sure if it is worth your time, as I said before, maybe it would be a good idea to make a poll!

Data
20-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Well this isn't a democracy.
If braindead says it's too much work or too troublesome then it will not be done.

A. J. Raffles
20-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Well, I suppose my opinion on this point won't count for much (since I'm just another one of them damn newbies :sneaky: ), but what exactly would it achieve to have such an "honorary member" group, Sebatianos? As it is, it's easy enough to see who is an active poster who has been around for a while: the date when someone joined and the number of posts he or she has made are displayed beside every post.
And don't forget that having such a clear distinction between regulars and newbies might also be slightly intimidating for newer members. I know I would feel intimidated by it. To give you an example, I already feel a bit awkward when I read those happy birthday threads, because they contain lots of posts by people who appear to be rather chummy and know each other quite well. I can never decide whether I should just go ahead and wish a complete stranger a happy birthday or whether I should just ignore that thread and continue feeling a bit left out... What I'm trying to say is: it's not all that easy to become a member of an already existing community, and if you can't become a full member of the community until you've been around for over a year, it just gets harder.

BeefontheBone
20-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by OvErLoRd@Apr 20 2005, 09:29 PM
just VIP grammar squaddie?
oh, cheers. we can read this too, you know.

Dino
20-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Data@Apr 20 2005, 10:41 PM
Well this isn't a democracy.
If braindead says it's too much work or too troublesome then it will not be done.
Braindead said: ''So if you think it 'd be worth the trouble I'll have a look at it... whistling.gif'', so I just gave an advice.

Dino
20-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by BeefontheBone+Apr 20 2005, 10:44 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BeefontheBone @ Apr 20 2005, 10:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-OvErLoRd@Apr 20 2005, 09:29 PM
just VIP grammar squaddie?
oh, cheers. we can read this too, you know. [/b][/quote]
:D Didn't mean it that way, just wanted to compare some, in my opinion, more important VIP class to other, seemingly less important! If you like it more, read it as ''just VIP translator squaddie'' :D That's what I am...

NrmMyth
20-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan: Poll! :Titan:

Flop
20-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I have to say that I don't like this idea very much, for several reasons (besides the fact that I wouldn't be included in that group :)). First of all, I think that when you've been here a while, you know who're the most active and dedicated members, so there is no need to point it out. Secondly, I don't think it makes a difference how long a member has been here; a good statement or suggestion is good, regardless of how long the person making it has been a member. That's just my opinion, of course.

@A. J. Raffles: Just go ahead and wish people a happy birthday, if you feel like it. I haven't been here for long, but I don't think people mind being wished a happy birthday (even by a newbie).

EDIT: corrected a sentence that didn't make sense.