PDA

View Full Version : Memory Snapshot

efthimios
09-04-2005, 10:36 AM
For the last few years certain emulators for older systems have a memory snapshot function which enables you to save the current state of the game to a file and just load it later on. This helps a lot to games that have no save option.
I was wondering if there is any such option for a DOS emulator?
Anybody knows if there is or if there are plans to have such an option?

Data
09-04-2005, 02:03 PM
bochs.sf.net might have it.
but no dedicated dos emulator has it at the moment

efthimios
09-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh pity, thanks a lot for the info.
I hope that one day they developers behind dos emulators decide to have this feature. :angel:

Rogue
10-04-2005, 01:56 AM
I had small discussion with Toni Wilen (creator of WinUAE - Best amiga emulator) about save states (or memory snap-shots) and he said that it's very unstable for games that use HD, as HD contest might change, while other emulators that use ROMs can't change data in ROMs.

I believe that with the same logic, it will be unstable for DOSBox or some other DOS emulators.

efthimios
10-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for trying to find out Anubis :ok:

Perhaps in the future (near :bleh: ) someone will find a way. :D

Rogue
11-04-2005, 11:31 AM
I hope so too, as there are games that require you to play them long time, and I don't have that much of time anymore. :blink: :(

Caged
14-04-2005, 03:34 PM
hehe, I found out myself how useful the save anytime feature is. FF...um...whatever # it is has you playing for hours on end before you run into a safe point...major problem as I can only find time to play in maybe 1/2 hour intervals