PDA

View Full Version : Game-time Question

MrBackAlleySka
05-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Eh, I had trouble naming this topic. Anywho, I was curious as to about how long it takes to get a game onto the site? Ive submitted a review and screenshots (along with screenshots it already had) for a game that was on the list of games that need reviews and screenshots, and put them on the server, about a week ago. I'm just curious as to how long it usually takes? I'm NOT being impatient. ^^ Just asking those who have submitted reviews/screenshots in the past, how long it took LOL

P.S. Im really not trying to sound impatient. If I did, I apoligise, and i'm simply satiating (say-tee-A-ting?) my curiousity :cheers:

The Fifth Horseman
05-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Anywhere up to 2 months, depending on how Kosta is busy.

Strobe
05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
to be precise it depends on several factors...

if a game is highly requested and fits the quality requirements, it will be uploaded
sooner than a game with less request and quality. also, the game archives and
the reviews have to be checked before uploading and that takes some time, too.

in general, kosta and our team of updaters try not to wait too long, but just like
the fifth horseman stated above, several weeks can pass until an update is done.

Tom Henrik
05-04-2005, 11:49 AM
The quickest update was 10 minutes, the longest was 7 months.

MrBackAlleySka
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Hahaaa, well, thanks for the answers guys. As I said, i'm not being impatient, so i'll go ahead and expect 7 months. You guys ARE busy ^^. In the meantime, i'll see what other reviews and screenshots I can do

Rogue
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Patience, young apprentice, patience is answer.

May the force be with you! :tease:

Omuletzu
05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Apr 5 2005, 01:49 PM
I think Lands of lore will break that 7 months record :whistle:
Hasn't mad e fact sent those pics?
PM me, i want to know :angel:

Flop
05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Are you telling me that Lands of Lore is in line to be put on the site? Why hasn't this game been given first priority? It is excellence incorporated.

Rogue
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Perhaps because of it's size. ;) (if I'm not mistaken)

Strobe
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
if i'm informed correctly, Lands of Lore has a filesize of about 142mb, but the
limit for each game to be uploaded to the site is 100mb...

that might be the reason ;)

Omuletzu
05-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Well i reviewed it, and oferred the archive(full!), but i couldn't provide the screens.After about 2 months, i asked what was the progress, and Kosta provided me with a link to an(other) utility that takes screens in DOS.It also failed.There seems to be some kind of memory conflict between Lands of Lore and any screen capturing software loaded into mem... about a month ago mad e fact contacted me, saying he has screens for the game, and could provide them.I told him to tell Kosta, and that was the end of it...
Another note would be that the archive that would make it up would surely be a rip, as we lack the space needed by the archive(~120 Mb - full)

Rogue
05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Can't you create screen shots in DOSBox?

Also there are couple of Screen Capture utilities that work in DOSBOx. Which one did you try to use?

Omuletzu
05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Ahem... i only use PURE Dos to run old games *moment of pride*.I have tried Screen thief and Vthief, and both resulted in a system lock up :angry:

Flop
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Oh, I see. You're talking about the cd version. There's a floppy version as well, which is only about 11 MB. Maybe you should get that one instead? Not that I can supply it, but maybe somebody else can?

Rogue
05-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Have you tryed Screen Thief version 2.01 or some early version?

Also, you can upload the game, and then someone else can create Screen Shoots with DOSBox or VPC. ;)

Iron_Scarecrow
05-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Both reviews I did took about a week to get put up. Just thought I'd add that highly useless bit of information. :D

MrBackAlleySka
05-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Man this sucks LOL. I had Lands of Lore, and could easily take screenshots (took shots to show my friend what the worm in the Dwarven Mines looked like) and did both sucessfully. x_x It's too bad I no longer have that shot, or the game. To my knowledge, I used DOSBox, but which screen-capturing method I used, I forget.

However regarding screen-capture in dos, Omletzu, Maybe what I do will work for you.
Do you run them in complete, utter, PURE DOS? Or COmmand Prompt? If command prompt, try alt-enter then printscreen. It's what I do ^^.

Unknown Hero
05-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Apr 5 2005, 12:49 PM
7 months? Poor guy! LOL

Mad-E-Fact
05-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Apr 5 2005, 02:37 PM
Well i reviewed it, and oferred the archive(full!), but i couldn't provide the screens.After about 2 months, i asked what was the progress, and Kosta provided me with a link to an(other) utility that takes screens in DOS.It also failed.There seems to be some kind of memory conflict between Lands of Lore and any screen capturing software loaded into mem... about a month ago mad e fact contacted me, saying he has screens for the game, and could provide them.I told him to tell Kosta, and that was the end of it...
Another note would be that the archive that would make it up would surely be a rip, as we lack the space needed by the archive(~120 Mb - full)

Yep, I uploaded a bunch to my folder on the FTP server and send a PM to Kosta. Not much more I can do. :) BTW, I have the CD version of the game, the image is about 300MB in size. Dunno which files could be ripped though, they aren't clearly labeled.

Omuletzu
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by MrBackAlleySka@Apr 5 2005, 09:49 PM
Man this sucks LOL. I had Lands of Lore, and could easily take screenshots (took shots to show my friend what the worm in the Dwarven Mines looked like) and did both sucessfully. x_x It's too bad I no longer have that shot, or the game. To my knowledge, I used DOSBox, but which screen-capturing method I used, I forget.

However regarding screen-capture in dos, Omletzu, Maybe what I do will work for you.
Do you run them in complete, utter, PURE DOS? Or COmmand Prompt? If command prompt, try alt-enter then printscreen. It's what I do ^^.
I run pure DOS!
@mad please contact seba, maybe he can help

MrBackAlleySka
06-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Pure DOS? Wooo, lucky ...person. Hehe, I have been wanting to buy an old IBM just for DOS. Hehee, yard sales of the world unite *giggle* Anywho. Hm, I'll take a look for yah. I have lands of lore again from HOTU(cats) an' ill try running it in pure DOS (not command prompt) and i'll see what programs for screenshots I can get to work for yah ^^