PDA

View Full Version : Doom 2

Kosta
11-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

xndr2181
07-08-2004, 04:23 AM
This game was great to play if you needed to get some anger out. I use to just do god mode with the chainsaw!! :twisted: Hehe, sorry bout that. Although I must admit, after awhile this game got a little ridiculous. First you try to escape the city, then you must go back in the city, then you must go into the demon realm, I mean come on!!
-Sean

FreeFreddy
07-08-2004, 06:39 AM
There was nothing like going through Doom 2's levels again. :) *remembering*
Too bad I don't have that fun anymore, because I played it at least 20 times through earlier...

gregor
07-08-2004, 07:36 AM
i like the new open GL versions. btw some levels are impossible to do in time (par)

FreeFreddy
07-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Nothing is impossible in Doom 2 :twisted:
Just save the games often and don't die, so you won't lose all your weapons.

xndr2181
07-08-2004, 07:04 PM
I have to agree, the game was very enjoyable back in the day, but it lost some of its luster soon after. I enjoy most thin plotted games, but like I said, it soon got to the point in this game where I was just like "come on!" cause you had to keep going further in, then pull out, then you had to go further in. Oh well, I guess that was just part of its charm :D .
-Sean

Malchior
08-08-2004, 12:04 AM
It's amazing, I absolutely LOVED this game back in it's day. This and Doom 1, Rise of the Triads, etc. But now, I can't play a FPS for more than 10 minutes without getting SEVERELY bored.

I don't know if the games have changed or if I'm just getting older.

Durak
08-08-2004, 12:09 AM
I've been playing AVP2 for the last 11 hours straight...ooooh I have a headache.

xndr2181
08-08-2004, 05:11 AM
I've been playing AVP2 for the last 11 hours straight...ooooh I have a headache.
Dude!!! I was just recently playing AVP gold edition and I love it!!!! But the thing is, I can only play it for so long before I get too freaked out, lol. The part with the marines is too scary, with that sensor beeping, as they get closer and closer ahhh! :shock: It's actually really funny, but I'm so watching Aliens right now cause it's just randomly on tv, :P . Sorry to continue my tangent but whose ready for AVP? I sure am!!!
Me for AVP**** :drool:
-Sean

Durak
08-08-2004, 05:24 AM
I got AvP Gold Edition a few years back. Good times, especially with multiplayer =)

xndr2181
08-08-2004, 05:32 AM
It's horrible to say, but with this game the only way I could ever see myself getting anywhere was to use the cheats...sorry guys, I know a lot of people frown on that kind of thing...but with shooters like AVP, I just have to be invincible for me to not get totally freaked playing it, :? . I was the same way with half-life.
-Sean

Durak
09-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Pfft!

Cheating!

I'm the opposite. I consider myself great at shooters so I'd kill myself before cheating. I find cheating at any time isn't fun at all...

xndr2181
09-08-2004, 03:20 AM
Pfft! *

Cheating!

I'm the opposite. *I consider myself great at shooters so I'd kill myself before cheating. *I find cheating at any time isn't fun at all...
Like I said, I don't pride myself on my shooter skill for computer games, and I find that I get too much into these games that I can't beat them cause I get too freaked. Consel games, it's a whole new chapter, :D . I'm the man when it comes to bond games!!
-Sean

Omuletzu
11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Although I must admit, after awhile this game got a little ridiculous. First you try to escape the city, then you must go back in the city, then you must go into the demon realm, I mean come on!!
I didn't even knew it had a story... to me a shooter is just that ... shooting
In my opinion the only things that make a shooter great are
1.Gameplay
2.Graphics and Sounds
Of course these can be summed up by saying that a great shooter must have a great feeling to it(Ex: Doom 3 - wich by the way i'm too scared to play :oops: :cry: )
There was nothing like going through Doom 2's levels again. **remembering* *
Too bad I don't have that fun anymore, because I played it at least 20 times through earlier...
Hehe i'm now playing some fan-made wads.They'r great.
For example now i'm playing TNT... after i finish this i'm going to dedicate myself to plutonia experiment... by the way is there a change that these can be uploaded? I mean technically they are not doom2. I mean it's doom but with modified levels

FreeFreddy
11-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I didn't even knew it had a story... to me a shooter is just that ... shooting
Yes, Doom had quite amazing story, after all. Research about those dimensional gates, then suddenly army of Hell comes through - that impressed me at that time really hard. :D

Hehe i'm now playing some fan-made wads.They'r great.
For example now i'm playing TNT... after i finish this i'm going to dedicate myself to plutonia experiment... by the way is there a change that these can be uploaded? I mean technically they are not doom2. I mean it's doom but with modified levels
I have Plutonia Experiment too. Also I had TNT, but as both were first saved on floppies for backup, one of the floppies that contained TNT lost it's functionality and that was it... :x :roll: Sad...
After that I immediately bought a CD-writer. Actually I think TNT is slightly better than Plutonia Experiment.
Btw. I bought both versions in first place in a package, on CD-rom, similar to Doom 2, so perhaps they aren't abandoned either...

xndr2181
11-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Hehehe, doom 2 had possible the worst plot ever!! lol, but as for plot being in shooters it obviously was never a big factor, but I find that one a plot line does exist, it makes the game ten times better. Bond games have decent plots, and that's why I love them so much...even look at Medal of Honor those games are great and have good plot too, so for me it's usually what makes the difference between an ok game and a great game.
-Sean

Durak
11-08-2004, 11:17 PM
I've never really liked Bond games besides GoldenEye.

xndr2181
11-08-2004, 11:19 PM
I've never really liked Bond games besides GoldenEye.
Have u played Nightfire for the PS2? That game kicks soooo much butt!! If you haven't I highly reccommend it, if of course you own a PS2...You should be able to get it fairly cheap since it came out awhile ago!!
-Sean

Durak
11-08-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't like shooters for consoles. I can't perform my best since you can't aim nearly as accurately without a mouse.

xndr2181
11-08-2004, 11:30 PM
That's true I guess, except with bond it has auto-aim makes it much better!!
-Sean

Durak
11-08-2004, 11:35 PM
...if you mean easier with less skill and not as fun...

Darn, I think I'm too competitive with my shooters. Curse the internet and easy access to other good players!

xndr2181
11-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Well, have u at least played medal of honor? That's not an easy one... :cry:
-Sean

Durak
11-08-2004, 11:46 PM
I think that was a really easy game...but my friend only rented one of them and I beat it in an hour...

xndr2181
12-08-2004, 03:08 AM
I think that was a really easy game...but my friend only rented one of them and I beat it in an hour...
Ok Durak, you win... :cry:
-Sean

Tom Henrik
12-08-2004, 04:55 AM
Yeah.

Medal of Honour is too easy, too straighforward.... No challenge. The game is over as soon as you load it the first time.

But I can understand why people like it. If you are looking for a great FPS I would recommend you get Aliens vs Predator. Play it at night, turn off all the lights, and play as a marine. Get ready to be scared out of your pants! 8)

xndr2181
12-08-2004, 04:57 AM
Yeah.

Medal of Honour is too easy, too straighforward.... No challenge. The game is over as soon as you load it the first time.

But I can understand why people like it. If you are looking for a great FPS I would recommend you get Aliens vs Predator. Play it at night, turn off all the lights, and play as a marine. Get ready to be scared out of your pants! *8)
AHHHH, that game is toooooo scary!! I can only play it for like two minutes before I have to turn it off,
-Sean

Tom Henrik
12-08-2004, 05:00 AM
Bah! :P

Anyways...
This is getting
:ot:

xndr2181
12-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Bah! *:P *

Anyways...
This is getting
:ot:
So true! So yea, Doom 2 is a great shoot em up game. Anyone who hasn't played it should!
-Sean

FreeFreddy
12-08-2004, 05:59 AM
And also try TNT and Plutonia Experiment, which are (supposedly) fan-made selfrunning addons, they are just Doom 2 with other maps and continued story. Their levels are as great as the levels in Doom 2. If you are able to find them somewhere, that is.

Omuletzu
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Well i don't really know about plutonia, but the TNT levels are great
Oh and regarding Nightfire, it has been released a year or more on comp, and it's a hell of a game!! :evil: :twisted:

Durak
12-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Aliens vs Predator isn't all that scary...try playing Doom 3 with the same technique.

Maikel
12-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Doom 3 isn't scary either, maybe because I miss like...30 frames a second of action with my current system :D

Stroggy
12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
there is one level in Thief 3 which is quite scary.
But, for the time being, Aliens Versus predator is still, IMO, the scariest game i've ever played.

xndr2181
13-08-2004, 03:34 AM
Yeah, seriously Durak what are you talking about AVP not being scary, I can't play that game at all cause I get freaked so easily. I mean, come on the marines with that beeping detector, it's pure chaos!! I don't think I've ever played a game that's as scary as AVP.
-Sean

Tom Henrik
13-08-2004, 05:07 AM
The Marines are in fact the only rase I can play with ease. I die too quick being an Alien, or I just get lost. And Predator is too easy. Marines all the way for me! It just freaks me out. :D

*beep..... beep......................................... beep........... beep....... beep... beep.. beepbeepbeep AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHH!*

FreeFreddy
13-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Anyone tried Doom 3 already? The levels get such repetative, all are same looking... Such a shame, Doom 1 and 2 has much more different and better looking levels (in comparison to their time).

Maikel
13-08-2004, 09:01 AM
AvP2 was nice. Muliplayer was great as an Alien :twisted:

Omuletzu
13-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Anyone tried Doom 3 already? The levels get such repetative, all are same looking... Such a shame, Doom 1 and 2 has much more different and better looking levels (in comparison to their time).
Yes i tried it but i didn't get far... it's just too scary for me

Durak
13-08-2004, 12:02 PM
If by some lucky chance I'm still on topic, I believe that marines in the campaign are bloody easy just for the fact that they give you so much ammunition unless you're on the hardest difficulty. The beeping is really useful since they can't sneak up on you and it is a little scarier on campaign since the aliens sit and wait, therefore I use quick save and flares. :)

Tom Henrik
13-08-2004, 02:32 PM
If by some lucky chance I'm still on topic, I believe that marines in the campaign are bloody easy just for the fact that they give you so much ammunition unless you're on the hardest difficulty. *The beeping is really useful since they can't sneak up on you and it is a little scarier on campaign since the aliens sit and wait, therefore I use quick save and flares. :)

Actually... you are off topic :P

This topic is for discussions about or around Doom 2.

The_EgAt
12-02-2005, 05:16 PM
I think the link in the review that should point to this thread is broken (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=)

Chaos
23-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Maikel@Aug 12 2004, 10:46 PM
Doom 3 isn't scary either, maybe because I miss like...30 frames a second of action with my current system :D
i have doom 3. but my comp is bad. i also have to full vertion of doom 2. i can let you have it. its not an install though.

LordHogFred
23-02-2005, 11:08 AM
If you wanna play Doom 1 and 2 how they should be played go here (dunno if this has already been posted):
Doomsday HQ (http://www.doomsdayhq.com/)
By far THE best Doom 1, 2 and Ultimate 3D patch, I have loads of models if anyone needs them I can upload them to my website and give links.

Chz :),

de_frag
23-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Well I think doom2 is (was) not so good game at all.I prefered Zero Tolerance

Centurion
23-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I remember being scared shitless when I first played this game back in the day.
I became obsessed that I wouldn't stop until I found all the secrets on every level.
But then the game felt like it was becoming repetitive and was too long for its own good. Towards the end, I found myself playing just for the sake of completing the game and didn't bother looking for secret rooms/items anymore.

Christian IV
01-05-2005, 03:01 PM
:bye: :ph34r:
One of the most interesting things about DOOM 2 is the
levels and the settings, the buildings and the landscapes,
they are quite remarkable at times, and my goodness, the
player made WADs what a library there are of them. I
played it without sound for a long time, and when I found
the sound it was interesting but seemed limited. I do not
like the violence part of it but do enjoy the history and the
way this game led to many others. I enjoy adventures and
other challenges more. Still, the sense of moving through
space and all the differnet enviornments is quite remarkable.
:ok:

dr_st
01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by LordHogFred@Feb 23 2005, 12:08 PM
If you wanna play Doom 1 and 2 how they should be played go here (dunno if this has already been posted):
By far THE best Doom 1, 2 and Ultimate 3D patch, I have loads of models if anyone needs them I can upload them to my website and give links.

Yeah, if all you care about is graphics. I don't think many people will agree that this is how it was meant to be played.

10-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by LordHogFred@Feb 23 2005, 12:08 PM

i wonder what this is exactly?

a 3D engine for DOOM1 and DOOM2?

sounds interesting.

i remember a small GUI tool that helped to put together that dos tags to combine/select
scenario, sound and wad - do somebody here know
where this can be found?

UnHoly
10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Doomsday is a windows port for DOOM 1, 2 Hexen and Heretic. It has imporved graphics, you can download 3D models and better textures for it, it also include mouse support. Actually, I'm playing on it. Of course you have to got the oryginal Doom to run Doomsday.

Toxik
10-05-2005, 04:26 PM
well i got that thingy and its great! the moulelook makes it easier and more interesting but i think that its too laggy. I mean Doom 3 actully runs faster than doom 2 with that thing!

dr_st
10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah, that's the problem with Doomsday engine - it's heavy.

JudgeDeadd
11-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Zdoom (http://zdoom.org) is great! Try it, you won't be disappointd. You can play Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife with it. You will need the original WADs for those games.

Oh, and 2 things...
1. The Doom 2 review hasn't got a link to this thread.
2. WHAT??
the game just isn’t nearly up to par with current shooters or many other great shooters during the time this game existed.

This means all the games on this site are bad because they aren't up to par with current games.

dr_st
11-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I still think that modern FPS are not as good as the original DOOM. I prefer the raw kill-kill-kill gameplay over today's attempts to shove plot in my mouth or make "advanced AI" that still isn't a match to 10 revenants in a crowded room.

Argith Nuei
06-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by dr_st@May 11 2005, 05:30 PM
I still think that modern FPS are not as good as the original DOOM. I prefer the raw kill-kill-kill gameplay over today's attempts to shove plot in my mouth or make "advanced AI" that still isn't a match to 10 revenants in a crowded room.
A good point. I dont think the original DOOM will ever get to old. It,s a masterpiece and was revolutionary when released. Blasting away with the shotgun for minutes at a time doesnt sound like much fun... Thats ofcourse concidering you havent played DOOM yet... :sniper: :tomato:

Elon Yariv
06-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I like Doom2 cause of it's fun and the endless action found in it!!! :boxing: :tomato: :blow: :whip: :Titan: :butcher: :guns: :sniper: :rifle: Like the endless violance in those smilies!!

Christian IV
12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
:ok:
What amazes me about Doom 2 is the endless imagination of
the wad designers, the architecture they come up with, as well
as the game designers themselves, they are good too. The
changes of environment, levels, interior spaces, and the
puzzles are quite intriguing. Sometimes I wish it was
an adventure game without so much violence, but that is
just my own personal feeling, it is quite an interesting
test of perceptual memory and imagination to work through
some of the complex interior spaces. In the wad line,
some of my favorites are Osiris, and the retro episodes like
return to Phobos, silouetts of Phobos (that one may be Doom 1,
I get them mixed up).....etc.

A strange side note to history, did you know that one of the
students that led the Columbine massecre in Colorado actually
was a Doomer and designer a wad which is availalbe on some
addresses, a strange sad foretaste of what he was to do in
real life.

:blink:

a15drian
18-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Everyone try Doom 3 and the expansion ressurection of evil they are scary man scary if you are alone brrrrrr

Gamefreak
18-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Doom 3 doesn't make even close as much fun compared to Doom 2. It's main strength is it's graphic engine, but otherwise it's quite boring except in the beginning levels.

yoga
21-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi, there,

May I dare ask You very politely:

- Well, a friend of mine and me want to play Doom2 in the net being 100 miles away each other in options: Yog&Friend against monsters; Yog versus the friend? Can we? We have stable fast Internet connection.
If Yes ,pls give me some directions.

Ty, all good people.

yog - the best Doom2 player ever seen..

:D

dosraider
21-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Easiest way for lazy bums is skulltag
http://skulltag.com/
Install, run, done.
Dedicated server and client.

A little bit more work is jDoom:
http://www.doomsdayhq.com/