PDA

View Full Version : Free Virtual Pc Equivalents?

The Fifth Horseman
29-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Are there any? I need to have 9x system accesible, and there are several things that prevent me from repartitioning my HDD and making it a dual boot...
I have heard about Microsoft Virtual PC, but, you know - it's Microsoft (ewww). Plus it is a timed trial version.

Rogue
29-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Microsoft bought Connectix, company that made VirtualPC. Same company was well known for Game Station - great emulator for PS, which sony bought from them.

VMWare is simillar thing, but it's not free. I don't believe that there is such a thing that is free.

Also not to forget that you have to have additional licenses, even when you get software.

Data
29-03-2005, 01:28 PM
qemu
bochs

i think qemu only runs linux at the moment.
but bochs runs all.
(bochs.sf.net)

xoopx
29-03-2005, 06:48 PM
virtual pc is good.

if you NEED to run a virtual pc, you cant afford to be picky about getting the best software for the job.

no comment about trial versions :angel:

another commercial one is vmware, but i didnt like it

JJXB
30-03-2005, 10:45 AM
in all honesty, if he wants to see if it suits his needs, he should do that. anyway, im encouraging him to buy it if he likes the software

Reup
30-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by JJXB@Mar 30 2005, 11:45 AM
in all honesty, if he wants to see if it suits his needs, he should do that. anyway, im encouraging him to buy it if he likes the software
Why don't you advice and encourage him to look at the websites of Virutal PC or VmWare to discover that there's demo version available for download for BOTH these packages??? Always with the bl**dy w@rez..

Virtual PC 45 day trial (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/evaluation/evalguide.mspx)
VMWare Demo Download (http://www.vmware.com/download/)

JJXB
30-03-2005, 10:54 AM
those are time limited demos. what can he do after the trials have run out then?

The Fifth Horseman
30-03-2005, 11:00 AM
1. I don't want timed trial version of software, since they are usually a pain in the arse to remove afterwards.

2. I don't want to use w***z, especially of Microsoft-copyrighted stuff.

3. Neither do I want to use cracks on the trial versions, since nowadays when you're using a crack you can easily bet that it contains some extra nastiness that you have not bargained for.

So that's why I asked for free equivalents in the first place.

Reup
30-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Bochs and qemu are both actively in development, so you should try them out. I've even run some esoteric OS'ses, like JNode (a Java OS) with both qemu and bochs, so give them a go!

Originally posted by JJXB@Mar 30 2005, 11:54 AM
those are time limited demos. what can he do after the trials have run out then?
Buy them off course!

Koen
02-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Bochs is slow, and can't run in Full Screen. Qemu only runs in Linux. Virtual PC is good, but I can't change cpu speed. What else? :cry:

The best thing of Virtual PC is that you can save a state, so you can continue later on. You can also undo changes on disk from a certain date.

The Fifth Horseman
15-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Got VPC trial working, right now I'm gonna try Bochs.

MdaG
05-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Apr 15 2005, 09:58 AM
Got VPC trial working, right now I'm gonna try Bochs.
If you manage to get either of them working (QEMU or Bochs), please do tell. I've been fiddling around with Wine as well without success.

The Fifth Horseman
06-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Two threads titles "Trouble with BOCHS". Damn thing refuses to operate with W98 bootcd.

RevdrJFlash
18-05-2005, 06:44 AM
I'll second the use of Virtual PC, it's a decent program so don't be scared of the microsoft name attached to it. Just used it tonight to finish king's quest 7 and i used it back in september to play Sanitarium. If you do end up using it one workd of advice. It will bug you to install some advanced features periodically. They are very usefull allowing you to connect to the internet and share files between your real and virtual PC but both times i've turned them on it has messed with my games graphics, something to do with the Trident video card VPC emulates i'm sure. Sanitarium and KQ7 both would have super trippy graphics, the only permanent fix was to un-install the 'advanced options'

let me know if you need any help

The Fifth Horseman
18-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Yup. Same has been experienced with Chaos Gate.