PDA

View Full Version : I Hate This Site :(

Kizzikat
17-03-2005, 01:21 AM
OK, I haven't been here long but I have a serious complaint. Because of YOU and YOUR SITE I have been wasting many hours of my life playing classic games. :( I blame this on YOU! Since finding this site my game playing hours have skyrocketed once again. Didn't you think when you started this place, that some people actually work on their computers and what the effect of offering enticing games to them might be. Damn buggers, the lot of you. :ranting:

Fawfulhasfury
17-03-2005, 01:24 AM
Hey thanks. :D But um, next time, offer your thanks in a different tone. Can't wait to see what the admins will say to this one. :evil:

Iron_Scarecrow
17-03-2005, 03:51 AM
The same thing has kind of happened to me, but it's cause of the forum. But I don't care I'm still happy.

Titan
17-03-2005, 04:23 AM
:sniper: :Tom:

:Titan:

Iron_Scarecrow
17-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Well Titan said a lot.

DeathDude
17-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Meh it happens, it's understandable, it's just sometimes you need to learn control, yes it's tempting with some of the games, but just think get the work done first more time for gaming later. :ok:

Hkizzle
17-03-2005, 06:51 AM
Computer addiction and computer gaming in particular are actually growing problems that are not well documented or receive enough media attention.

The media have tried to link gaming to violence, which I think is stupid. Gamers know games are not reality.

However, I think that a lot of gamers are border line addicted to gaming. I was addicted to a MMORPG before (was my first and last). Playing till too late at night, and not stopping when I know I should stop.
The classic, play for another 5 minutes (repeated 30 times) syndrome.

Computer gaming alters one of the neurotransmitters in the brain (I think serotonin, can't remember), by elevating it and therefore creating a sense of pleasure. So it makes you want to keep doing it, and feel bad when not doing it.

In MMORPG games, the addiction is worse because you get a sense of achievement from leveling up, and also social interaction with other players.

Symptoms for computer addiction in general (not just gaming) from the following site http://www.computeraddiction.com/

Having a sense of well-being or euphoria while at the computer
Inability to stop the activity
Craving more and more time at the computer
Neglect of family and friends
Feeling empty, depressed, irritable when not at the computer
Lying to employers and family about activities
Problems with school or job

It's easy for people to say wow, you're messed up, just stop playing!

Well, if you can stop then it is not addiction.....

It's easy to say, but don't get too caught up in gaming! If you are caught up, you really need a lot of will power to quit, or help from others. At the very least, know where you stand. :sneaky:

BTW, I love this site. I thought games from my childhood was lost forever.

wormpaul
17-03-2005, 07:37 AM
:rifle: :rifle: :rifle:

Just wanna help the :Titan:

Kizzikat
17-03-2005, 08:26 AM
I must admit, although I've been downloading and enjoying games here, I certainly haven't become addicted, nor has the game playing interferred with my life.

A did once become seriously addicted to a MMORPG, oh my! On the up side I did get a lover who is now still a friend out of it. :D Those were good days.

Tom Henrik
17-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Finally!

A new and innovative "Thank you" topic :D

Nyerguds
17-03-2005, 12:31 PM
LOL. I've been addicted to DOS games from the moment I had access to DOS.

This site hasn't changed a thing for me :D

Sean
17-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I wish i was smart enough to come up with a comment as intelligent as yours when i first graced the forum... oh well

masked_llama
18-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi everybody,

This is my first post, so please pardon any forum fo-pa's
I have a different reason for hating this wonderful plethora of games. Besides the fact i'm going to be totally addicted. I love Monkey Island type games. I spent my entire senior year of college devoted to Revenge of the Tentacle. Which brings me to my problem. I'm not terribly bright or clever. So these games are frustrating and take a long time to beat. Now having just discovered this site today, I have a lot of games to play through. I'm gonna have to devote whole weekends to these games just to make a dent in them.

Anyway, thanks for the site. I just downloaded the Companions of Xanth, it sounds fun.

Hkizzle
18-03-2005, 07:09 AM
The key then is to play every game here and beat them all as quickly as possible. :w00t: That way you will no longer have anything to be addicted to.

On hardest setting possible of course. :bleh:

This guy might be interested in the challenge. Slightly off topic, sorry. :ot:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitnes...k.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/03/17/skiers.streak.ap/index.html)

Omuletzu
18-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Hkizzle@Mar 17 2005, 09:51 AM
Computer gaming alters one of the neurotransmitters in the brain (I think serotonin, can't remember), by elevating it and therefore creating a sense of pleasure. So it makes you want to keep doing it, and feel bad when not doing it.

Actually serotonin is the chemical commonly thought as responsible for psychopathic behaviour :sneaky:

BeefontheBone
18-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by masked_llama@Mar 18 2005, 07:54 AM
This is my first post, so please pardon any forum fo-pa's
LOL, that's hilarious! not a faux-pas, but it did brighten my morning a bit!

Iron_Scarecrow
18-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Hkizzle@Mar 18 2005, 07:09 PM
The key then is to play every game here and beat them all as quickly as possible. :w00t: That way you will no longer have anything to be addicted to.

Problem there is that the site is updated daily, and I'm sure games will be uploaded faster than you can beat them, so you'll be at it for a long time.

By the way whats a fo-pa's, and whats a faux-pas?

TheSmyth
18-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Faux Pas - French for "False Step"
English Translation - "Unintentional Feck Up"

Danny252
18-03-2005, 06:03 PM
wow, I am suffering froma severe case of computer addiction.. I was extremely pissed today.. then I played homeworld ^^ and no, Im not going to go build you an ion cannon frigate. They aren't real. oi, shut it! BZZZZZZZZZRFRRRT....
whaddaya mean it aint real?

xoopx
18-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Danny252@Mar 18 2005, 07:03 PM
wow, I am suffering froma severe case of computer addiction.. I was extremely pissed today.. then I played homeworld ^^ and no, Im not going to go build you an ion cannon frigate. They aren't real. oi, shut it! BZZZZZZZZZRFRRRT....
whaddaya mean it aint real?
did you play homeworld cataclysm? i preferred that one

Danny252
18-03-2005, 09:39 PM
played the demo..

Hkizzle
19-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow+Mar 18 2005, 10:29 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Iron_Scarecrow @ Mar 18 2005, 10:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Hkizzle@Mar 18 2005, 07:09 PM

Problem there is that the site is updated daily, and I'm sure games will be uploaded faster than you can beat them, so you'll be at it for a long time.

By the way whats a fo-pa's, and whats a faux-pas? [/b][/quote]
That's the point.
You're going to be at it for over a year even if playing full time! :cheers:

taikara
19-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Actually... only one update a day, and quite a few, if not most, of these games can be beaten in less than a day :whistle:

BeefontheBone
19-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by TheSmyth@Mar 18 2005, 10:54 AM
Faux Pas - French for "False Step"
English Translation - "Unintentional Feck Up"
Not quite a feck up - it's more of an unintentional transgression of social rules, like using the wrong knife to cut something or using a knife to cut bread at a posh dinner.

masked_llama
20-03-2005, 06:09 AM
By the way whats a fo-pa's, and whats a faux-pas?

fo-pa- noun- orgin of word: March 2005... word first created when a quadraped attempted to impress forum regulars by using alliteration after breaking rule # 284 of proper forum common sense. Never attempt French alliteration after 1 AM. It will always end poorly.
Speaking of which, i clocked four hours of "Flight of the Amazon Queen" and only have 1 of the three ingredients neccessary to complete the rash cream, but I do have some silly little puppet with a baseball bat. Not sure what it does, but I've named it Moppy and attempted to put on a puppet show for some monkeys. I don't care what the hero says "It is always time for a puppet show."
Thanks again for the memories and the games
The Masked Llama

P.S. Hey wait....that might be the solution...i have to go try something. Bye

taikara
20-03-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by masked_llama@Mar 20 2005, 07:09 AM
fo-pa- noun- orgin of word: March 2005... word first created when a quadraped attempted to impress forum regulars by using alliteration after breaking rule # 284 of proper forum common sense. Never attempt French alliteration after 1 AM. It will always end poorly.
Speaking of which, i clocked four hours of "Flight of the Amazon Queen" and only have 1 of the three ingredients neccessary to complete the rash cream, but I do have some silly little puppet with a baseball bat. Not sure what it does, but I've named it Moppy and attempted to put on a puppet show for some monkeys. I don't care what the hero says "It is always time for a puppet show."
Thanks again for the memories and the games
The Masked Llama

P.S. Hey wait....that might be the solution...i have to go try something. Bye
Buahahahaha :D

:wub:

I think this is the most amusing post I have ever read in these forums.

Yes, I am "quirky." I have my own fun.

Don't mind them, masked_llama. Beef is on the site's Grammar Squad, he can't help it ;) It's an ingrained behavior for him to correct what others say.

BeefontheBone
20-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Depressingly, that's true :( 'twas all in good fun though meladdo.

masked_llama
20-03-2005, 07:11 AM
No offense taken, Beef. I knew what i was getting into when I actually spelled it fo-pa. But dang it, at 3 AM it seemed to make sense. And i have never, eeeever, made it to someone's sig line before. So I feel honored. Just don't go so far as to quote and repost my posts with red font where "corrections" are needed cuz that would be a little too much like college. :D

I meant thanks for the memories, because when i was younger i downloaded "flight of the amazon queen." but at the beginning of the game, you have to dress as a woman to escape, and my mom saw the comedy breasts the character gets and decided the game was immoral and i couldn't play it anymore. So now I have a chance to play it.

Heh.....yet another reason to hate this site.....I think i'm becoming a forums junkie, but you all have a great bizzare sense of humor.

Church tomorrow, time to hit the stable for the night, :bye:

marko river
22-03-2005, 08:52 AM
First of all, what makes you think man wanted to thank you in new manner? Maybe man simpley hates you. It is same like drugs. Someone gives you drugs, you get stuck to it and then you say you hate the man. And the drug-dealer won't believe him because he is coming back every day?????

WELL GUYS YOU CREATE TOO MUCH HATE TO THIS WORLD!!!!

And i really compare games to drugs. No way you should beat all the games to fight against it. That's like taking aaaaaaallllll drugs you can find at once in order to stop taking it for days. No way man, you have a good character or you don't (i won't call you names for now)

.................................................. .........

Well, i have a briiiiiiiiliant idea (as always :D )
Why shoudn't we start a section where we can tell people how to fight against game dissease and how to be stronger then all this great great games? We find some experts and explain that too much gaming is not good, that there is a whole new (and real) world outside, drinks, sports, young and pretty people and so on...

It is actually a very good idea, although we actually want to have more and more gamers. It's like giving the people a hot-dog and burger and then you give them pills for loosing waight. :D Very smart.

And noone could say that we are not complete perfection of a game site. We offer good old games and how-to-avoid-good-old-games in one place. YES!

What can i do people, i can't help myself, ideas are just coming out..... :D :D :bye:

Game Phre&#124;&lt;
22-03-2005, 04:11 PM
This site is great.

I tell everyone about this site.

I recently showed a friend of mine that does web development and his wife overheard us talking and said I bet they don't have LOOM. I wasn't quite sure so I looked and low and behold you guys made me proud!

I am getting choked up no I have to go. :cry:

BeefontheBone
22-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by masked_llama@Mar 20 2005, 08:11 AM
Just don't go so far as to quote and repost my posts with red font where "corrections" are needed cuz that would be a little too much like college.* * :D
Have you been sneaking into the grammar section? Or maybe you saw the "Stickler for Grammar" ('http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3460') thread.

Iron_Scarecrow
23-03-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Game Phre|<@Mar 23 2005, 04:11 AM
This site is great.

I tell everyone about this site.

I recently showed a friend of mine that does web development and his wife overheard us talking and said I bet they don't have LOOM. I wasn't quite sure so I looked and low and behold you guys made me proud!

I am getting choked up no I have to go. :cry:
If this site didn't have Loom it wouldn't be a very good abandonware site.