PDA

View Full Version : Budokan

Kosta
11-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/1)

Havell
17-06-2004, 05:55 PM
How do you attack on this game? I can move around with the numpad but I cannot seem to actually hit my opponent.

mika
04-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Man this game brings back memories. I remember that they also had a hidden arkanoyd type game built in when you go to the pool or something. Even that was included in 700Kb. Amazing!

TheVoid
04-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I remember that thing.....I think you should go to the bottom right corner of the map and hit something....oh what a great game, my fav weapons were bo and nunchaku.

punch999
25-09-2004, 12:59 AM
guess what i have???????????????? i have the cheat for the brakout game. hahahaha

Go as far right and down as you possibly can. When you are between the Dojo and the fence, press B for the mini game.

punch999
25-09-2004, 12:59 AM
and how do u attack???

Havell
25-09-2004, 11:18 AM
I googled for the controls, use the numpad keys to move and to attack press a movement key and the action button (shift or ctrl I think) at the same time.

punch999
26-09-2004, 03:01 PM
yes u hold shift while using the arrow keys. i figured it out.

CABURA
17-11-2004, 11:02 PM
:help: HOW DO I RUN THE GAME?? I JUST LANDED HERE BECAUSE OF THIS GAME!! NAO I DONīT KNOW HOW TO START IT !! HELP ME PLEASE!!! :help:

cabura@hotmail.com

Sebatianos
17-11-2004, 11:30 PM
Download the game - Budokan and unzip it to a folder you want it in!
Download DosBox (http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs), install it.
Run DosBox.
In DosBox type: mount c (or the drive you want) c:\ (and the folder where you have budokan)
Next type: c:
And now type: budo - and the game should start!

Cabura
19-11-2004, 06:16 PM
:help: doesnt matter which dosbox I am downloading and starting ! everytime I start it, there appears 2 black (dos)windows and disappear seconds later.
how do I type in ther anything? :help:

Rogue
19-11-2004, 06:39 PM
only one windows will have a z: prompt

holyman9
21-11-2004, 01:15 AM
this game made me want to take kendo... still in the process of doing it, though :P :)

Cabura
24-11-2004, 06:49 PM
:help:
I am not able to run the game !! i nead serious help!!!
any may help me !!! it`s a troture having found game and not being able to run it !!

please help me!!!

Rogue
24-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Cabura@Nov 24 2004, 02:49 PM
:help:
I am not able to run the game !! i nead serious help!!!
any may help me !!! it`s a troture having found game and not being able to run it !!

please help me!!!
Download the game - Budokan and unzip it to a folder you want it in!
Download DosBox, install it.
Run DosBox.
In DosBox type: mount c (or the drive you want) c:\ (and the folder where you have budokan)
Next type: c:
And now type: budo - and the game should start!

Instukcije od Sebatiana

punch999
24-11-2004, 07:45 PM
r else u can get the sega genesis rom of it and play the sega gen version.its just as good if not better

Hari Seldon
30-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Wooohooooo

Budokan rocks :w00t:

Oh men.. This reminds me of another world, space tits and karateka!

HighProtein
30-12-2004, 06:22 PM
This game is fun I bought it a long time ago.
I just recently found the book to it :ok:

The Occupant
09-02-2005, 06:16 PM
:ok: Thanx, icould not for the life of me figure out attacking. It took me forever just to move:wall: so thax :cheers:

Kizzikat
09-02-2005, 11:55 PM
I remember when this game first came out, the graphics for the time were awesome! I love it, I'm very much into traditional martial arts, it's good to see a game based on the real thing.

patriot
25-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Howdy,

OK, a few questions here:

1. Why is my sound not working? I have DOSBox and VDM.

2. Why are there two files from which you can start the game. One has the little family crests thing on it, the other doesn't, and one won't let you spar until you work on your "Kangi" and hte other will let you spar anytime. - really wierd

3. is anyone else having any problems where sometimes (I say sometiems, because not all of the time) where when the little guy is in the courtyard he moves XTREMLY slow

thanx

HANNES
30-04-2005, 11:58 AM
How do you block enemy attacks?

hessekopp
01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
i remember that budokan was my first contact to this old "beat em up " style games! just amzing!!! PRESS DOWNLOAD :Brain:

patriot
02-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi, Hannes, if you expirament with the keyboard/joysitck (whichever you're using) you should be able to figure out a few basic blocks....

Two Q's still stand:

1. Why is my sound not working? I have DOSBox and VDM.

2. Why are there two files from which you can start the game. One has the little family crests thing on it, the other doesn't, and one won't let you spar until you work on your "Kangi" and the other will let you spar anytime. - really wierd

PLease answer...

thanx

Freshlee
12-05-2005, 06:15 PM
:ph34r: I've been searching for this game for the longest time......now that I am so close to reobtaining it, I find out that it is under ESA protection. :ph34r:

How can I obtain a copy of this game? If any can assist me in this, I would surely appreciate it.

Oldie Goldie
14-05-2005, 05:22 PM
This game ist the best Beat'em Up ever. Somebody finnished it? :karate:

patriot
17-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Freshlee, I wish I could help you but all I can say is I was lucky enough to download it be4 it became "ESA Protected" I have no idea what you need to do... If I were you I'd try to cantact an Admin or someone...

t0mme
19-05-2005, 07:42 PM
WHOO!! This game is awesome!! :karate:
Just checking out the controls and I figured out tons of moves! This game is really really really cool!

punch999
05-07-2005, 06:11 PM
freshlee the best way to get banned is to ask that exact question

tazzy_s
05-07-2005, 06:13 PM
yeah it is a cool game , but the joystick controls are a little fussy

Havell
05-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Freshlee@May 12 2005, 07:15 PM
:ph34r: I've been searching for this game for the longest time......now that I am so close to reobtaining it, I find out that it is under ESA protection. :ph34r:

How can I obtain a copy of this game? If any can assist me in this, I would surely appreciate it.
To get the game either:

1. Wait until Abandonia gets back permission to host the game (might happen, if we're lucky).
2. Wait until the copyright expires (will happen, but you've got a long wait ahead of you).
3. Buy it from eBay/Amazon.

Take your pick.

Player One
23-08-2005, 11:20 PM
any idea on how many matches there are? ive got up to 7

great game by the way.

Scarface
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JL+Sep 2 2005, 11:09 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JL @ Sep 2 2005, 11:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>How you downlaod this game PPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEESSSSSSEEEEE[/b]
This game is ESA protected, you can't download it

******QuoteBegin-R Havell@Jul 5 2005, 01:20 PM
To get the game either:

1. Wait until Abandonia gets back permission to host the game (might happen, if we're lucky).
2. Wait until the copyright expires (will happen, but you've got a long wait ahead of you).
3. Buy it from eBay/Amazon.

Take your pick. [/quote]

hiroschi
23-10-2005, 11:26 AM
i can't defeat hiroschi

24-10-2005, 11:48 AM
"And now type: budo - and the game should start!"

I was playing without the program "DosBox"...
and the screen keep 'flasing'.. it's terrible.. :angry:
I didn't know about the "budo".. :wall:
I type "ufo" in the 'dosbox'.. *duh!*

EDIT: e-mail removed - there was no question or any request for help, so there was no need for the e-mail address to be here.

Potatatisman
17-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Wonder if anybody is reading this. Well I have no big problem getting to the final guy, I think its lvl 10 or so. And I dont want to spoil anything but this guy is impossible. Has anybody beaten him, or know if its possible? I have allready broken half my keyboard because his skill is ridiculous..

Kendo_freak
28-05-2006, 02:52 PM
this game is really cool, it has an ok simulation of Kendo (ive been doing kendo for 6 yrs)
i strongly suggest anyone to try kendo, though it might be hard to find some one to train you, (its not a very popular sport in the states)

denisio
02-07-2006, 08:07 AM
can somebody tell me why itīs so freaking slow and i donīt have any sound?

The Fifth Horseman
03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Go get DosBox, kid.

04-07-2006, 08:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Potatatisman @ Mar 17 2006, 04:18 AM) 214825</div>
Wonder if anybody is reading this. Well I have no big problem getting to the final guy, I think its lvl 10 or so. And I dont want to spoil anything but this guy is impossible. Has anybody beaten him, or know if its possible? I have allready broken half my keyboard because his skill is ridiculous..
[/b]

Yeah, I remember back in the day when I bought this game on a store! I tried till extenuation to win that latest guy but I couldn't, impossible : :tai: angry:

19-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Intro:
This is one of those games I hate to love, because any body who take it serious winning the tournament is going insane. Its so f****g hard :wallbash:

But with a little from you, unknown hardcore gamers, we will win the tournament.
First of all, here is the manual:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=152

We need to lay out a strategy!
There should be ten fighters, for every Fighter there is a Master weapon and a Master strategy.
This is so, because if you donīt choose your weapon wisely, you have to fight the Boss with Karate and thats not an easy one anyway. To be honest, this game is totaly unfair. But anyway.
Here we go with the first Fighter:
1. Goro (Karate):
Kendo is the best choice. Donīt be to aggresive, just keep him on distance. If he is goes back, follow him and strike him as soon as you can reach him.

2. Kamikaze Kid (Kendo)
Take him down with Karate, its a good choice because the later enemyies are not going to be that simple. You have to play very aggresive, start emidiatly jumping at him and your first strike should allways be the spinning jump kick (jump at him, than press back and shift). If it connects, you have the advantage. Now kick and punch the muck out of him, you can also repeat the spinning jumpkick.

Thats it for now, to be continued soon!
BEP.BE

The Fifth Horseman
19-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Don't direct-link to files on HOTU. It's a very rude thing to do.
I changed your link to point to the HOTU entry on Budokan. Anyone who wants the manual just needs to scroll down to the "Documents/Extras" box.

Also, guests are not allowed to post their e-mail adresses like that. Yours has been removed per normal policies.

19-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I forgot to say: slow Budokan

If you start the game and its slow like muck, just press the escape button to get into the options menus and again press escape to get out. Donīt know why but it helps.

Does anybody know how I get te sound working???

The Fifth Horseman
19-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Yes. With DosBox.

YoStone
14-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Okay, this game runs fine from me... everything works

BUT how do you get out of a training without opponent once you've entered? :/

08-12-2006, 08:09 AM
yes the game starts now but when i want to train or fight the pc asks for a dojo disk?

What the hell is the dojo disk?

08-12-2006, 08:18 AM
how can i get sound?

The Fifth Horseman
13-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Run the game in DosBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net).

J-C
17-03-2007, 02:46 PM
for those who wonder:

YES it is possible to beat the last guy - i remember that I finished the game a few times - as you see - he takes the weapons you take - so I decided to take karate or Kendo ... that was quite easy ... the other guys were even harder - I think = btw final screen is you perfoming a Kartekata ... =)

live2enjoy
14-04-2007, 11:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patriot @ Apr 25 2005, 04:39 AM) 99928</div>
2. Why are there two files from which you can start the game. One has the little family crests thing on it, the other doesn't, and one won't let you spar until you work on your "Kangi" and hte other will let you spar anytime. - really wierd[/b]

LOL! the kanji part only appears when you run the wrong file... "old" .. instead of "budo". perhaps you can get past that if you know japanese or have the cheat sheet... i think it's some kind of copy-right protection. when you first enter the school you select what characters match the symbol.. obviously you get them wrong but you are still let into the court-yard ... but dont allow you to spar.

guess what i have???????????????? i have the cheat for the brakout game. hahahaha
Go as far right and down as you possibly can. When you are between the Dojo and the fence, press B for the mini game.[/b]

wow thanks a lot alex! :smurf: that was a cool secret .... that far right alley way... too bad that is the absolute worst version of break-out i have ever played..
:vomit: even the original game on say.. Sega Game Gear (portable system) was muuuuuch better. :wacko:

I like going to the very top and listening to the philosophy :drool:

TrollZobba
06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Hi, man!

How can i defeat the ninja guy? What weapon i should use it? How can i avoid the f*** shuryken?

Thanx!!!

07-09-2007, 02:58 AM
That Ninja girl is sorta mean, I took her out with Kendo
(Kendo is sooo lame you always win, range advantage, just swing all the time and wait till your enemy has no stamina left and then finish, jump close to and always swing untill enemy has few stamina then stab-> be VERY quick!)

Bo is cool aswell but the shurykens suck too much (The move where he swings the staff over his head knocks out everything^^, my favorite, "helicopter")

Karate is most interesting and complex to me, but too short range in most cases, jump all the time, makes HUGE damage and some Enemies are quiet confused ;)

Nunchacko is really lame, makes no fun at all, stand there all the time, keep two buttons pressed, swing and win -.-

Most enemies should be kept at distance till they have fewer stamina, they regenerate VERY fast so kill em quick^^

*Bug* By the way you can walk on the water at the top right at main screen^^

07-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Ok! Thanx man! I'll try. But, how u can avoid the shurykens fighting w/ kendo (it's my favorite too for this case)? I've just command the defence buttons? And, what u mean when u said: "By the way you can walk on the water at the top right at main screen".

Oh! just one more thing... by the way, and the next matches, what is the tricks?

Man, i've just returned to play this game after 17 years!!! Now, i must to finish it! I'ts a matter of honor!! :ok: :w00t: :titan:

Thanx too much again!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 7 2007, 03:58 AM) 309410</div>
That Ninja girl is sorta mean, I took her out with Kendo
(Kendo is sooo lame you always win, range advantage, just swing all the time and wait till your enemy has no stamina left and then finish, jump close to and always swing untill enemy has few stamina then stab-> be VERY quick!)

Bo is cool aswell but the shurykens suck too much (The move where he swings the staff over his head knocks out everything^^, my favorite, "helicopter")

Karate is most interesting and complex to me, but too short range in most cases, jump all the time, makes HUGE damage and some Enemies are quiet confused ;)

Nunchacko is really lame, makes no fun at all, stand there all the time, keep two buttons pressed, swing and win -.-

Most enemies should be kept at distance till they have fewer stamina, they regenerate VERY fast so kill em quick^^

*Bug* By the way you can walk on the water at the top right at main screen^^
[/b]

Gary_Oak
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
This game was one of my favourites, I was never a fan of fighting games to start with, but somehow, this one had some magic for me to like it.

10-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Now I'm through, needed 2 tries for the last guy. I'm goodb :max:

I share my knowledge, feel free to comment

Tips:
General Fighting:

Repeat keeping enemy at distance, throw a few attacks and then back away again
Always fight offensive, enemies do nearly twice your damage and regenerates like 5 times faster than you.
Time makes you lose each match! If you have lower stamina then your enemy you have already lost most cases. Vary your attacks for chest and head. Legs do least damage.

When enemy has low stamina they don't attack you, be super offense otherwise his stamina is full again, jump near all the time and throw fast attacks, they'll block like hell.

:ph34r: Karate

Jump towards enemy kicking all the time does 3-5 times hit. Some enemies are so confused they don't counter attack.
Be offensive, you hav low range. Never use punches, too weak and slow. Either jump or kick, 2-3 fast kicks and one big one than back away.

Keep in mind you do very few damage. Use for first two fights and 2ndKarate guy, he hates your jumps ^_^

Good for: Slow enemies, low range weapon
Bad : fast enemies, long range, damage

:ph34r: Kendo

Strongest of all, keep them for late enemies. Swing sword back, hold it till enemy is near, then press forwards and attack fast over and over, should be like 3-5 attacks each sec.
Keep Kendo for last Fights!

Good for : All enemies, always win, like cheating, low ranges have no chance at all.
Bad : No fun at all <_<

:ph34r: Nunchako

Make 1-2 Hits with Attack+Forward and then swing the infinite combo attack when enemy is near.
You can jump towards enemy and when near imediatly start combo aswell.
Make small steps and then attack and small steps again.
When enemy has low rage stand still using combo untill his stamina is low, then jump near all the time using combo.

You can do much damage once your combo is running :sneaky: You can't move very well if you have to run after enemy :angry:

Good for: Slow-middle fast enemies, low range
Bad : long range, retreating enemies

:ph34r: Bo

My favorite ^^ use the forward attack stand and then back attack like
Stand[->] + [<- Attack] for middle
Stand[->] + [Âī\ Attack] for head

When he rolls back to standard stand quickly press [-> Attack] Or [`\ Attack]

You can attack fast like this, 2-3 attacks each sec. When enemy runs away quickly go after him.
When enemy is too close normal attacks to middle and feet, you won't hit head very well.
You have best range with Bo.

Good for: Slow-middle fast enemies, low-middle range
Bad : Fast enemies, strong ones

:titan: Budokan :titan:

[1] 1st Karate Guy - ALWAYS use Karate, this one is easy with jumping. WAIT FOR HIM TO MOVE, he is very offensive, does react well on your attacks and does ALOT damage once he is close to you.

[2] 1st Kendo Guy - ALWAYS use Karate, JUMP ATTACK and he can't do anything to stop you^^

[3] 1st Nunchako Guy - Use Nunchako or Bo, with nunchako go close and combo,
with Bo keep distance and swing your attacks. NEVER let him come close unless you are running the Nunchako combo.

[4] 1st Bo Guy - Bo or Nunchako(difficult) Bo works Best, you have to attack very fast and very often, vary head and middle attacks, go close but not too much otherwise or he runs strong combo on you

[5] 2nd Karate Guy - KARATE! Jump and he's done. Otherwise use Nunchako or Bo. But better keep em for later

[6] 2nd Nunchako Guy - Nunchako Togh one, keep at distance by Attack[->] and when closer run combo. Be first to run combo, when he has few stamina jump close and do combo quick. Be defensive first and then offensive

[7] Chain Guy - KENDO! This is a real lame Fighter, does like 3 times 400 damage with his swinging chain. If you are really good Bo you can try but don't waste too much time on this one

[8] Bo Girl - Kendo Bo Nunchako Use Bo on her unless you are very weak Bo. Keep in mind she has longest range of all!
Very passiv but does alot damage each attack. Very small can't hit head while jumping.
If you are good try nunchako, jump and use combo

[9] Samurai - Kendo I didn't do much Fighting on him, don't know his style very well. Maybe Bo aswell but does alot damage and is fast too! :blink:

[10] Last one - Didn't do much Fighting aswell, tried Karate and Jump and done! Keep your favorite tech for him

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
:sneaky: Good Fighting for you all out there! :sneaky:

10-09-2007, 09:25 PM
My oh my I forgot the Ninja girl^^

For her use Kendo - Jump close and do your over Head swings 3-5 times Jump again.
Attack all the tim don't let her gasp for air :sneaky:
Watch her shurikens, always fight fast and super offense, she has som sneaky tricks :tomato:

Maybe the order isn't right, I'm just too lasy fixing it

BranjoHello
07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Very nice game indeed, couldn't believe that something this complex existed back in those days!
Str8 to favorites! :D

Ripperian
11-05-2015, 06:02 PM
It's funny how the wise old man talks you about using the ki wisely, you can feel he is teaching you a invaluable millenary knowledge, but in the tournament you can't stop throwing forward kicks and attacks like a hollow minded freak or your ass gets kick. :smile2:

underdragon
26-05-2015, 12:26 AM
but in the tournament you can't stop throwing forward kicks and attacks like a hollow minded freak or your ass gets kick. :smile2:
not really. it's usualy a bad idea to keep attacking when your ki is low. you move slower and you can't jump as high if i remember itright. a few of the enemies are easier to handle if you attack presistently(sp?) but most of them will just block your attacks if you attack nonstop. it's almost always better to counterattack them or attack only when they're moving forward or jumping.

Ripperian
26-05-2015, 03:37 PM
not really. it's usualy a bad idea to keep attacking when your ki is low. you move slower and you can't jump as high if i remember itright. a few of the enemies are easier to handle if you attack presistently(sp?) but most of them will just block your attacks if you attack nonstop. it's almost always better to counterattack them or attack only when they're moving forward or jumping.

But you must almost feel the force to block a hit to do a counterattack. The gameplay is too difficult to master. Even from the first fight in the tournament. It's a great game, but I see that problem.