PDA

View Full Version : Colonisation crashes

Anonymous
30-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah it's me again lol.

Problem is colonisation this time, but I'm not the only one having problems with it.

When I play the game it freezes for no apparant reason at the end of the turn. The water still moves but other than that there is nothing I can do anymore, tried every key on the keyboard and tried waiting for a while as I thought that perhaps it was because of the other teams moving but normally that doesn't take too long.

This has happened after 15 minutes and sometimes after the first turn, really weird.

Happened to 2 friends of mine who downloaded it from here as well.

FreeFreddy
01-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Could be damaged game files, like it sounds...

The Niles
01-07-2004, 09:59 AM
I also have problems with colonization DOS version. The problem was solved for me when I switched to the WIN95 version. I was thinking of uploading that version to the server but I have not gotten around ot that yet (or asking Kosta's permission) but if I have the time I'll do that.

Anonymous
01-07-2004, 12:15 PM
If it's not too big could you send it to me on msn or something or could you redirect me to some other place where I could download it?

Data
01-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah it's me again lol.

Problem is colonisation this time, but I'm not the only one having problems with it.

When I play the game it freezes for no apparant reason at the end of the turn. The water still moves but other than that there is nothing I can do anymore, tried every key on the keyboard and tried waiting for a while as I thought that perhaps it was because of the other teams moving but normally that doesn't take too long.

This has happened after 15 minutes and sometimes after the first turn, really weird.

Happened to 2 friends of mine who downloaded it from here as well.

Did you run it in DOSBox ? I recall playing it for a few hours.
(be sure to start viceroy.exe)

Anonymous
01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Same prob in dosbox + incredibly annoying because of the slow speed even at 12000 cycles and 10 frameskips.

Anonymous
01-07-2004, 01:24 PM
+ there seems to be no way to skip the intro with dosbox

Titan
01-07-2004, 03:45 PM
i'm running colonization in XP (vers. from this server) flawless..

No sound thou, but i don't want it anyway.. much better with Winamp ;) muahahah

Anonymous
01-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Hmm.

Perhaps I'll download and install it again. Really weird.

In dosbox it locks up as well, I hate it because I have some friends telling me it's an awesome game and from what I've seen I like it as well.

I download the windows version from the-underdogs.org or something like that but when I try to run that version it says wing.dll is missing.

Oh the humanity!

If anybody knows what else it could be please please please tell me I'm getting desperate :(

Dream
01-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Whatever you'll do do not put in here windows version! It's awful, doesn't has music, and graphics are worse, and you can't use keyboard IIRC, plain awful.

FreeFreddy
01-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Just like the Windows version of Pirates! Gold... That Windows remaked versions of games seem all to be worse than the Dos originals.

ysorian
13-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey all... im havin trouble runnin this game also... its not freezing as such but its slow and jerky and the whole Alt F8 or 12 thing just aint workin... other than changin somethin to "ddraw" im still runnin all original settings. Any ideas? thanks in advance :)

Eagle of Fire
13-10-2008, 09:55 PM
*sigh*

Why are you necroing a thread which is 4 years old???

Your answer is plain and simple: use DOSBox with the DOS version. I used it for hours in the same go, it works fine and it works exactly like it was working back in the days...

ysorian
13-10-2008, 11:22 PM
i thought that was what i was sposed to be doin? rather than starting a new thread, sorry :( i am usin the DOS version thru DOSbox... but i do apologise, i tried the viceroy.exe suggestion mentioned earlier and it works a lil better. sorry again :( its still slow as buggery tho and the f8 and 12 thing still no work

Eagle of Fire
13-10-2008, 11:49 PM
F8 is not that usefull, and F11 and F12 have no functions at all in Colonization. I don't even remember playing with keyboards who actualy had more than 10 function keys on them when Colonization shipped...

Did you try playing around with the cycles?

ysorian
13-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I did, still didnt have any noticeable effect. Its playable now i guess just a lil irritatin. Oh well, only the first of my old originals ive pulled out of the box i finally got from dad... maybe i give alpha centauri a try next :thumbs: