PDA

View Full Version : Ultima 7 Problem

AnubisZero
03-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi, Im new to this forum so go easy on me :angel:

I've managed to install Ultima 7 via Dosbox, but when I try to play it, it instantly returns me to the dos screen telling me to "remove my extended memory manager" does anybody know what this means or better knows how to slove this problem?

Thanks in advance

MasterGrazzt
03-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Try Exult. http://exult.sourceforge.net/

It's an engine made specificly to run the Ultima 7 games.

Gun Man
03-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah Exult is the best solution for everything related to U7 :P

Data
03-03-2005, 07:45 AM
for dosbox you should edit dosbox.conf and try
setting ems/xms to false. I don't remember which one.

Some people like it better in dosbox. Some purists as exult doesn't emulate the npc character movements the way they remember it.

MasterGrazzt
03-03-2005, 08:07 AM
And the combat is different. They can't figure out how it was originally implimented, so they made up their own system. Which works well, I think.

I think the Exult people are working on the option to have everything just like it was in the original games.

Personally, while the NPC steps may be annoying now, the health bars, autofeed and keyring (where a button gives you a cursor to unlock a door if you have a key) more than make up for it.

AnubisZero
03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks I'll try that, I couldn't wait to play it (along with Ultima 8 and many point and clicks that use the Scumm system) as soon as I discovered this site yesterday and relive the golden age of gaming.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who suggested something.

Grinder
06-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Exult is fine. But what do you do with a real DOS Pc?
What configuration do you need for U7?