PDA

View Full Version : Mu Internet Is Deadly Slow

Yamcha
26-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Its now 1 week that my Internet is hyper slow. I have zone alarm pro, ad-aware, and the yahoo anty spy tool. Checked the registry and removed the junk files but still no result. Even after the reinstalation of Windows the things are samw. Is there any chance that the p2p program I use is causing all this stuff? Plz help me!

Eagle of Fire
26-02-2005, 07:46 PM
If you are using a cable modem or something similar disconect it to the internet until the lights begin to flash. Then connect it again. If it's roughly the same thing than me then it will reconnect to your provider and reconfigure itself.

Sometimes your provider may decide to change DNS or things like that. This is one way to solve this problem. Another way would be to call your provider to make sure your computer is configured with the right entries.

I don't have enough knowledge to talk about this with you in depth but I know those solution exist.

Yamcha
26-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I have a DSL connection through an USB modem if that will help.

DeathDude
26-02-2005, 08:14 PM
What p2p program are you using?

Have you checked for viruses? To check a good place to scan online would either be Trend Micro's House Call, or Panda's both good online scanners.

Yamcha
26-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Im using E mule but i already reinstalled my PC

dr_st
27-02-2005, 09:25 AM
If you let eMule run unconstrained, it may use up your entire upload bandwidth for its uploading, and then things will get slow, because when you browse the net connection typically goes both directions, and with a clogged upload bandwidth it sucks.

Never allow eMule to upload faster than 10KiloBytes/second.

Chris
27-02-2005, 10:59 AM
it might be helpful to check your internet traffic and the bandwith each single programs uses. here (http://www.netlimiter.com/index.php) is a nice tool to check and manage your connection. another possibility is to find out a little more about your internet provider and figure out if there are more people having problems. looking up the relevant forums will do it, there's usually a lot of discussion about these things. do you have the problems in general or with special applications (WoW perhaps)? as the problem with asynchronic connections like DSL is that you have just 16kBit upload and WoW consumes pretty much of it compared to browsing.

Mad-E-Fact
27-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by dr_st@Feb 27 2005, 11:25 AM
Never allow eMule to upload faster than 10KiloBytes/second.
And even with 10KB/s, browsing on the www is still awfully slow. Best to turn it down a notch when you want to surf or whatever, and let it run fullspeed over night or when you are away.

Titan
27-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I also STRONGLY recomend you use NetLimiter.

If it's a cable modem, i agree with the others here.
Upload-speed can REALY kill download.

Yamcha
27-02-2005, 05:43 PM
The modem is an USB type. It connects through the phone line (but not plugged in the phone). After I reinstalled the Windows I didnt install Emule, but I-net is still SLOOOOOOW. It took me whole night to download SP2 (115MB). The first time when I downloaded it it took me 10-20 min. And I dont play Wow cuz I cant create my account.

Chris
27-02-2005, 06:09 PM
give us some details. what system do you have? what's the manufacturer and series of your modem, and who's your internet provider? are you behind a firewall? what type of browser do you use and do you have download accelerators? maybe these information are helpful. i just wonder why you encounter these problems only for the last weeks. let me presume your system is virus free as you reinstalled it. if you haven't changed anything else it will most probably be an exterior cause then.

Yamcha
27-02-2005, 07:30 PM
IM using Windows XP SP2, the modem is Alcatel Speedtouch 330 USB, the provider is Belgacom skynet. My PC should be virus free because I formated my drive. Im using ZoneAlarm as firewall. NOw im using IE because it will take me ages to download MOzilla but in both browsers the things are the same - slow. I hope that will help.

Eagle of Fire
27-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Did your computer sport SP2 before? I heard a LOT of different complains about SP2. Most of those people who were complaining switched back to SP1.

Yamcha
27-02-2005, 07:45 PM
No, cuz it took me 1 night to download SP2, and I was with SP1

FreeFreddy
27-02-2005, 07:58 PM
So you don't have eMule or another P2P running on your PC anymore?

Eagle of Fire
27-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Did you try to call your provider already and ask them what is the DNS configuration and if they changed it recently?

If you reinstalled your whole computer then it's about sure that if those information were already in your configuration that they are not there anymore. Might be the cause of your trouble.

Look what I found at my own provider, named Cogeco (http://www.cogeco.ca/en/fixe_q.html). Be sure to look at step 11, that's what I'm talking about.

At step 11, my provider tell me to enter a specific DNS adress. That's because that specific DNS adress belong to them. The way I see it, if I setup this like they illustrate then my computer will always try to communicate with them directly first instead of trying to find a route to the server.

It might be a good thing to check.

Chris
27-02-2005, 08:05 PM
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/7066/adsl3gc.jpg

can't help myself, but perhaps this is your problem...

just read you last post...
if you've got SP2 new on your system then it also might be this security center thingy. sp2 comes with a built-in firewall. maybe it interferes with ZA somehow. try to shut the windows firewall off, it is dissatisfactory anyway.

Mad-E-Fact
28-02-2005, 09:27 AM
On a somehow related note, I have this problem after booting up my PC it takes a while (around 1 minute) until I can connect to the internet. I had that solved already, it had something to do with a bug in Win XP and DNS or IP adresses, but after reinstalling windows I have that again. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Eagle of Fire
28-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm beginning to think that this thread should be in technical stuff. Any vote for me moving it there?

FreeFreddy
28-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Mad-E-Fact+Feb 28 2005, 11:27 AM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad-E-Fact @ Feb 28 2005, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>On a somehow related note, I have this problem after booting up my PC it takes a while (around 1 minute) until I can connect to the internet. I had that solved already, it had something to do with a bug in Win XP and DNS or IP adresses, but after reinstalling windows I have that again. Does anyone know how to fix that?[/b]
I have the same (problem?) when Windows is loaded and it takes around a minute until the connecton is possible. Though I always thought it has something to do with recognizing the connection to the provider or like that...

******QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire@Feb 28 2005, 12:21 PM
I'm beginning to think that this thread should be in technical stuff. Any vote for me moving it there?[/quote]
Fits well enough in there. :max:

Yamcha
28-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Bobbin@Feb 27 2005, 11:05 PM
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/7066/adsl3gc.jpg

can't help myself, but perhaps this is your problem...

just read you last post...
if you've got SP2 new on your system then it also might be this security center thingy. sp2 comes with a built-in firewall. maybe it interferes with ZA somehow. try to shut the windows firewall off, it is dissatisfactory anyway.
Yup thats the answer Bobbin :ok: I just made a phone call and they told me that I exceded my 10 GB. Ill buy a power pack or something since I will play WoW.

Mad-E-Fact
28-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Feb 28 2005, 12:47 PM
I have the same (problem?) when Windows is loaded and it takes around a minute until the connecton is possible. Though I always thought it has something to do with recognizing the connection to the provider or like that...

Yes, that's what I meant, though the correct technical terms elude me. ;) Windows is looking up the network card and for some reason it takes so long, but you can assign that (DMS?) adress manually, I just don't remember how and what exactly...

Chris
28-02-2005, 06:14 PM
glad i could help you! although i haven't seen such a strange regulation ever... :wall:

Yamcha
28-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Does someone know a program which allows me to watch my data transfer for the month (so I can see if I exceed my limit)?

Data
28-02-2005, 08:17 PM
usually you can log on to the website of the provider to see your statistics.

(especially if they limit you after a certain amount)

*moving to technical*

Yamcha
28-02-2005, 08:19 PM
OK thanks. I really wonder what I was doing this month to exceed my limit :blink: . Does an Multyplayer game has an effect on this limit?

BeefontheBone
28-02-2005, 08:59 PM
it will do, yeah - the limits are generally your total downloaded data, including that just for browsing (though downloading files, flash etc and gaming tend to be more significant). 10GB in a month at 4mbps isn't a lot tbh - useage limits are generally one way in which the companies who offer very cheap broadband cut their costs. some of them will just cut your connection when you reach the limit.

it's usually possible to find a provider with much more sensible limits - for instance I'm on a 750k (we're waaaay behind on speed here in the UK - fastest available for home use is generally 2GB. though mine should be upgraded this month...) connection shared between 4 people (although I reckon I use at least 45% of it) and have a limit of 1GB per day, which is about 30 times higher than yours, even though your connection is about 5x faster than mine.

Chris
28-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Net Limiter (http://www.netlimiter.com/index.php) again

you can control your bandwidth and inet usage for hours up to years. it is possible to overview the bandwidth-consumption of each program and even to limit the up- and download ratios. there is no better program. (anyhow... i don't know one.)

be sure to disable the localhost traffic option when generating statistics.

Yamcha
01-03-2005, 02:03 PM
10 GB is more than enough for me. I just saw my records and before installing E mule (January) i made only 2 GB in Decmber. When I was playing intensivly Diablo 5 hours a day I made 4 or 5 maximum so I dont think that ill have problems with Wow.

quatroking
01-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Guys, you forgot one thing:
DON'T SPEAK OVER W@REZ!
(talking over p2p is warez too)

Chris
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by quatroking@Mar 1 2005, 04:11 PM
Guys, you forgot one thing:
DON'T SPEAK OVER W@REZ!
(talking over p2p is warez too)
not in a technical context. there is nothing illegal about emule (as a software to exchange data). an there's no one speaking about certain licensed software here.

Caged
01-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Feb 28 2005, 05:59 PM
for instance I'm on a 750k (we're waaaay behind on speed here in the UK
:blink: thats slow to you???? :blink:

try takin a step back and trying a 28.8kbit dial up connection man and then tell me what you have is slow, LOL :sneaky:

Danny252
01-03-2005, 10:36 PM
750k? *drool*
Yamcha, so how'd you like 64k? ^^ welcome to my world
its twice as good as 56k though...

Eagle of Fire
01-03-2005, 10:55 PM
56k is fine if you can't get more. The real problem with modems is that even tough the speed limit is supposedly 56k it's extremely rare that you'll connect higher than 36k. More often than not you'll be at 28.8. Really depend on the telephone line quality and the temperature outside.

I used to get better results in winter. Probably because of the cold.

Caged
02-03-2005, 01:33 AM
i only get 28.8...but its odd because my sisters laptop connects at 42.2....is this normal? I thought it maybe was my outlet, but no matter where i plug in i get the same 28.8

yes, i know of one place you can get a 56k connection...pluggin into the frikkin server, LOL

Eagle of Fire
02-03-2005, 02:05 AM
i only get 28.8...but its odd because my sisters laptop connects at 42.2....is this normal?

Quality of the modem itself have a lot to do with this too.

Titan
02-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Damn.... 10 GB / month... is nothing..

On averige we consume 2 GB / hr here (me and my gf).
That might sound alot, but it's actualy "only" 550 KByte/sec, and that is less then half load of our connection.

I used 33.6 modem for 6 years, so i know how painfull it can be. Could get down 10 MByte/hr at full load.

But seriously, ANY provider with a transfere-limit is something you should have as a LAST option.
I'd prefere a provider with a 0,25 Mbit-connection and NO limit, over one with a 4 Mbit and 20 GB/month limit.
If you'r the one who pays the bill, you should take a look at other options.

Here in sweden, we had a company who tried limited transfere.
Let's just say they didn't get that many customers.

Currently i have a 24 Mbit/sec connection, but due to distance to phone-station, we get roughly 11 Mbit down and 1,5 Mbit up.
That is conciderd above averige here, but 100 Mbit phiber is NOT uncommon.
I'm not just saying this to BRAG, but more to show that still there are HUGE differences in ppls connections here.
A file that is nothing for me, might be 1 hr download-time for another.
I might get pissed when i "only" get 30KB / s down from abandonia, while another thinks it's realy awsom speed.

DeathDude
02-03-2005, 05:10 AM
With my internet provider I think we get somewhere around 20-30 gb a month, so that's pretty good compared to the competition which only gets 10gb a month. But they monitor their customers and if you go over, look out they'll start going after you wondering why you went over and may even suspend you.

I managed to get 15k/s with my cable modem, it's not true cable mind you, they call it lite cable, but it's pretty good considering I used to get 4kb/s with my 56k modem.

ReamusLQ
02-03-2005, 06:30 AM
I got a cable modem this summer that gives me 500 megs a seconds, usual upload and download speed about 200 megs. I love it.

Yamcha
02-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Mar 2 2005, 09:30 AM
I got a cable modem this summer that gives me 500 megs a seconds, usual upload and download speed about 200 megs. I love it.
:blink: :cry: 500 Megs OMG I can change to 30 GB limit but I dont need I really saw that I use only 2 Gb per month.

Reup
02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
P2P-clients are not warez. They offer way to share any kind of file. Admittedly, a lot of warez are shared through P2P-clients, but you can also share nice pictures you took from your dog or your favorite lemon cake recipe. :ok:

And another thing: I don't suppose anyone wants to hear about how I'm getting 10mbit fiberglass for free in two months :bleh:

Titan
02-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Mar 2 2005, 08:30 AM
I think you got some numbers mixed up here..

never heard of a 4 GigaBit connection, and i assure you, your averige hard-drive will NOT be able to handle that ammount of input. Most harddrives are limited to around 40 MByte writing-speed / sec.

If you are talking about a 500 Mbit-connection, it has to be a phiber-connection in the Gigabit-standard, feeding directly from servers connected to simmulare networks.

Rethink it again, and explain a little more. Cable-modems have a upper limit WAY lower than this. especcialy if you are talking about those who utilize the cable-tv network.

Chris
02-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Titan, you've done it. I think I'll emigrate to Sweden. Compared to you Germany is a developing country. :cry: However, I would be interested how much you've to pay for your connection, as a 3mbit flatrate costs approximately 100€ here.

Yamcha
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I pay 30 euros for my 3,3 Mb/s connection.

Titan
02-03-2005, 11:02 PM
I pay 40 € for my connection.
100 Mbit (where avalible) TP or Phiber costs 90€