PDA

View Full Version : What's the current status of Abandoned Times? And Some Thoughts...

LianneJW1912
18-08-2017, 08:34 PM
So I'm here because I'm interested in writing some articles/generally helping with the writing or producing of Abandoned Times (funnily enough). I've seen some forum posts from 2017, so I know some people are still enquiring about production of the magazine, but most of the responses I have seen have been mere conjecture, or several years old, and I've found little concrete evidence on the progress on, or indeed even the existence of, Issue 4 :P I just wanted to know what the situation was and who to discuss the eZine with, seeing as there seems to have been a change of editor since the first issue, which I was lucky enough to read when it first came out as a mere 12 year old (so I am something of a young gun, yes :P )

I would also be interested in contributor's opinions of expanding outside of DOS, as is the scope of the website, for the magazine; incorporating things such as the Amiga line of computers, something very dear to retro computer gamers of the UK, or the Atari ST etc. It may also be a good idea to recognise the nature of the eZine and how articles are produced, and opt for a smaller, more concise format: Say 20 to 30 pages, which would likely allow for an easier production and more output. If we were to take this model, for example, and apply it to the current magazines, there could have been a total of 5 - 7 issues to show for everyone's hard work, which certainly looks more appealing for potential readers.

Another question I have was the readership of the magazine. It was mentioned in the editorial of Issue 3 that the readership was, and I quote, "[smaller] than an obscure doujinshi at the Comiket". Do we have rough figures for that? Downloads, number of different users, etc? Just out of interest more than anything else... What is the status of the magazine with contributors? How many do we have, how many articles come from the editor and how many come from other people? SO many questions, I know, it must feel like playing 20Q, but I'm very interested in the magazine and helping to make it better, where I can. It's been a real influence on my growing up, and made a huge change to the games I've been interested in as I moved to adulthood. Where others of my generation got excited over the new games on Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, I was hunched over my desk, violently tapping my keys in frustration trying to get DOSBox to work! XD There's been some fantastic work put into this magazine over the years, and I think there's still more to give. Sorry that this got so long, it wasn't supposed to happen haha

Yours,

LJW1912

tienkhoanguyen
19-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Well since this is kinda long I'm going to unofficially type inside your original quoted reply below. I'm sorry if I'm the wrong person however Thank you for responding since I haven't heard anything in like months and that is not too long compared to years ago.

So I'm here because I'm interested in writing some articles/generally helping with the writing or producing of Abandoned Times (funnily enough).

I've seen "defender of Anarchy and arête and Mr. Japo etc." are some of the people on staff so they might be able to answer. They have fallen quiet because I have been talking a bit and so they do not know what to make of it. So the squeaky wheel gets the oil type deal. The easiest way to reach the audience is start your own thread in my opinion and just upload your content or put a link to your content right in the thread like Smiling Spectre says. He is also a supermod.

I've seen some forum posts from 2017, so I know some people are still enquiring about production of the magazine, but most of the responses I have seen have been mere conjecture, or several years old, and I've found little concrete evidence on the progress on, or indeed even the existence of, Issue 4 :P I just wanted to know what the situation was and who to discuss the eZine with, seeing as there seems to have been a change of editor since the first issue, which I was lucky enough to read when it first came out as a mere 12 year old (so I am something of a young gun, yes :P )

I'm guessing it is hard to gauge readership so the official work to the magazines might have fallen off for fear of people not being interested. However in my experiences there is just not enough people bold enough to voice their feelings. So the authors think there is no further interest and stop.

I would also be interested in contributor's opinions of expanding outside of DOS, as is the scope of the website, for the magazine; incorporating things such as the Amiga line of computers, something very dear to retro computer gamers of the UK, or the Atari ST etc. It may also be a good idea to recognise the nature of the eZine and how articles are produced, and opt for a smaller, more concise format: Say 20 to 30 pages, which would likely allow for an easier production and more output. If we were to take this model, for example, and apply it to the current magazines, there could have been a total of 5 - 7 issues to show for everyone's hard work, which certainly looks more appealing for potential readers.

If you look at a PixelTHING's production shown every Sunday on here you will find that he produces everything from DOS to XBOX and PS4 etc. So I am guessing if you are the author in charge then you will be able to do it your way.

Another question I have was the readership of the magazine. It was mentioned in the editorial of Issue 3 that the readership was, and I quote, "[smaller] than an obscure doujinshi at the Comiket". Do we have rough figures for that? Downloads, number of different users, etc? Just out of interest more than anything else... What is the status of the magazine with contributors? How many do we have, how many articles come from the editor and how many come from other people?

I know when I first see the opening pages of the forum the first thing I look for is new content. So I suggest keeping it manageable and frequent to catch the reader's attention.

SO many questions, I know, it must feel like playing 20Q, but I'm very interested in the magazine and helping to make it better, where I can. It's been a real influence on my growing up, and made a huge change to the games I've been interested in as I moved to adulthood. Where others of my generation got excited over the new games on Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii, I was hunched over my desk, violently tapping my keys in frustration trying to get DOSBox to work! XD There's been some fantastic work put into this magazine over the years, and I think there's still more to give. Sorry that this got so long, it wasn't supposed to happen haha

Yours,

LJW1912

Sincerely,

Japo
20-08-2017, 07:08 AM
It's been a real influence on my growing up, and made a huge change to the games I've been interested in as I moved to adulthood.
Thank you! In the name of the people who did contribute to the magazine (not really myself, who tried the first issue but became frustrated after it got stuck for months before it had to change editor)... I'm sure they'll appreciate these words.

I like your ideas, and I agree it's good to make the magazine shorter considering how much work it takes.

I don't think I have a way to measure downloads of the issues or anything like that. I wonder if the backend admins could, if I ever asked. I suspect past traffic estimations must come only from readers who later post on the forums to communicate their appreciation or feedback. This isn't a reliable measure -- as your own case illustrates, if this is the first time you post about it.

Whom to discuss the magazine with, is whoever replies on this board. Past editors have preference of course, and we would actually like them to pick the task up again, but that depends on their showing up. :p The situation is that any discussion of future issues died down months or years ago, so it's more or less starting from scratch again.

LianneJW1912
20-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Thank you! In the name of the people who did contribute to the magazine (not really myself, who tried the first issue but became frustrated after the first issue got stuck for months before it had to change editor)... I'm sure they'll appreciate these words.

I like your ideas, and I agree it's good to make the magazine shorter considering how much work it takes.

I don't think I have a way to measure downloads of the issues or anything like that. I wonder if the backend admins could, if I ever asked. I suspect past traffic estimations must come only from readers who later post on the forums to communicate their appreciation or feedback. This isn't a reliable measure -- as your own case illustrates, if this is the first time you post about it.

Whom to discuss the magazine with, is whoever replies on this board. Past editors have preference of course, and we would actually like them to pick the task up again, but that depends on their showing up. :p The situation is that any discussion of future issues died down months or years ago, so it's more or less starting from scratch again.

I'll be honest, I've actually started drafting up an 'issue 4' of my own, one of those things where something went from a vague idea and then kept me up most of the night haha, I'm a bit strange like that XD A yardstick for myself would be an eZine called 'Warning Order', which is a wargaming publication that consists of some 30 pages usually, and goes from strength to strength. They've post about four a year, so it's managable for them, and I think the same principle could be applied to AT. I'd be very much interested in seeing what could be done with the magazine from this point :)

Japo
20-08-2017, 10:22 PM
That's great. :-) Anything you could post here about your progress would be appreciated, as it could also attract participation from other volunteers. Even if you have many good ideas and dedication, the magazine will only be better if more people can contribute to it.

As long as you're alone you don't need anything but our blessing. If you would eventually produce an issue up to the quality standard of previous ones (no matter if it's shorter as you say) we would of course more than happy to give it.

Japo
20-08-2017, 10:22 PM
That's great. :-) Anything you could post here about your progress would be appreciated, as it could also attract participation from other volunteers. Even if you have many good ideas and dedication, the magazine will only be better if more people can contribute to it.

As long as you're alone you don't need anything but our blessing. If you would eventually produce an issue up to the quality standard of previous ones (no matter if it's shorter as you say) we would of course more than happy to give it.

LianneJW1912
21-08-2017, 12:35 AM

I'll see what I can manage, no guarantees though... For sure I wouldn't want to just do it on my own, and would appreciate any assistance I can get, but for now I'll put together a rough draft and see what comes of it

Smiling Spectre
21-08-2017, 07:44 AM
I am bad with creating texts (and with English in general, actually), but I can check results, add or correct something, if it will be about games I know.

LianneJW1912
21-08-2017, 04:19 PM
I am bad with creating texts (and with English in general, actually), but I can check results, add or correct something, if it will be about games I know.

It will be dependant on what the plans are by previous editors and workers on the magazine, because I don't want to encroach on others work (if mine is even any good at all!), but your help would be fantastic :)

Japo
21-08-2017, 08:08 PM
It's still possible that this initiative may convince past contributors and editors to show up, so I hope for the best. :-) Keep it up!

LianneJW1912
22-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Several images of the first parts of the 'prototype', if you will...

tienkhoanguyen
23-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Coming from a consumer perspective I usually wouldn't bother talking to the author. I would assume if it comes out great! Otherwise I would think it never took off. Of course I am interested however I see now that it is hard work. In my opinion it looks great! So professional looking.

LianneJW1912
23-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Coming from a consumer perspective I usually wouldn't bother talking to the author. I would assume if it comes out great! Otherwise I would think it never took off. Of course I am interested however I see now that it is hard work. In my opinion it looks great! So professional looking.

Glad you think so! I'm still not sure what the situation is with the previous editors/other issue 4, currently this is just a 'beta' test to try and see what the reception is, but thanks for your feedback!

tienkhoanguyen
23-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Glad you think so! I'm still not sure what the situation is with the previous editors/other issue 4, currently this is just a 'beta' test to try and see what the reception is, but thanks for your feedback!

Dear LianneJW1912,

Please feel free to beta test anything. When I was just starting out programming I would try new formats. It was odd and even against standard programming practice. However as I aged along the years I realize that getting the job done many times require creative thinking. I have found standard practices stunt the mind and creativity at least in my personal experiences. These days, decades later, I've found my skills has expanded through use not by just following a certain way of doing things.

LianneJW1912
24-08-2017, 11:51 AM
So a little progress report, I've currently finished the first article seen in the pictures above, it came to two pages long, and now I've moved on to a feature article, which I'm thinking will be three or four pages long. With an editorial/contents page (I plan on amalgamating them into one entity), that will put the magazine on 8 pages so far (including cover). The eventual size will depend on how many articles I think are good for the flow of the magazine (I don't want to use up all ideas in one hit after all XD)and any possible contributions received, again depending on whether on not this gets a green light, but I thought it was worth a quick update just to let everyone know what was going on :P Obviously I'd do more pictures but I'm formatting the articles upon completion, so I don't get too confused and can jig things around if necessary.

LJ

LianneJW1912
24-08-2017, 12:55 PM
OK so I did want to share this, it's the formatted first page of a feature article, to show my progress :P

tienkhoanguyen
24-08-2017, 07:54 PM
From a research perspective showing some background of the company it is nice to know. My mom always likes to know the good and bad of a company before she deals with them. It shows character. However The Holy Bible says no one is perfect except Jesus Christ! It is your show LJ; I'm just a commentary for one potential consumer's opinion. So far it is good but lacking stuffs like what is so special about first person shooter etc. For instance how did the engine get created etc. Although I realize it is proprietary information it is kind of general.

What I do like about it is it shows generally about the company. Where it is based etc.

Don't get me wrong. I like the first 3 pages previewed so far. So professional looking.

LianneJW1912
24-08-2017, 08:40 PM
From a research perspective showing some background of the company it is nice to know. My mom always likes to know the good and bad of a company before she deals with them. It shows character. However The Holy Bible says no one is perfect except Jesus Christ! It is your show LJ; I'm just a commentary for one potential consumer's opinion. So far it is good but lacking stuffs like what is so special about first person shooter etc. For instance how did the engine get created etc. Although I realize it is proprietary information it is kind of general.

What I do like about it is it shows generally about the company. Where it is based etc.

Don't get me wrong. I like the first 3 pages previewed so far. So professional looking.

The theme for this Issue is RTS, so there will be RTS games featuring a lot, but I will be covering more than just RTS games, of course!

tienkhoanguyen
26-08-2017, 06:20 PM
The theme for this Issue is RTS, so there will be RTS games featuring a lot, but I will be covering more than just RTS games, of course!

Thank you for producing the issue! Being the one who always speaks on the forum I need a break from time to time. If the issue ends up being 30 pages then that should give me some breathing room to do other work.

LianneJW1912
28-08-2017, 11:50 AM
OK so it has been a couple of days since I last posted any updates, but at least I have something to talk about!

So I just finished the feature article on the history of Westwood Studios (at last!) which is about 3000 words, so that will be a good few pages in the magazine, with some nice editing and side panels contributing to the size of the article. I'm now going to move back to doing some more game reviews after such a slog! I also plan on retaining the Versus and Console Corner features of the magazine, and would welcome any ideas for a discussion column if anyone would like to contribute!

I'll format in the Westwood article later, and I may ask for a proofreader, as I'd like to see how the article flows and error checks etc. before I tick it off as completed. If anyone else also has any ideas or things they'd like to see, again, drop me a dm or post here in the thread.

LianneJW1912
03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Just to let everyone know that I AM still working on Abandoned Times :P Unfortunately I've been back to work so I've been pretty busy over the last few days, so progress has slowed down somewhat, but I'm still going with a VS article, a discussion and a couple of reviews still to go. I don't know how good it will be, but it will be a little bit different to AT2 and 3, and more comparable to AT1 :P But we'll see how it goes :)

LianneJW1912
10-09-2017, 08:06 PM
I've managed to do a bit more work on the magazine, including some more formatting of an article... I hope you like the kind of style I'm going for :)

tienkhoanguyen
11-09-2017, 06:25 AM
Very magazine looking. Not like the easily made text format. More like if I opened a full featured magazine. :)

LianneJW1912
11-09-2017, 03:21 PM
I also managed to make this today after an early finish from work, and I've got to say I do think this is my favourite page so far! XD So far I have 10 total pages of work, so I'm halfway there (roughly)!

tienkhoanguyen
11-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Kills me that I can't see the fine prints. But hey it is only for the in crowd! Enjoy.

LianneJW1912
11-09-2017, 08:46 PM
Well you'll have to wait if/until it gets released like everyone else :P in the mean time here's another page :P Guess I'll let you guys know about another game that's going to be in the magazine after all :P

LianneJW1912
29-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Sorry it's been a while! Just to let you all know I am still going! XD I'm loking for anyone to read over what I have so far if there's any interest :) I'm aiming for 20-24 pages, as I would like to (if this gets greenlit) try and get two different issues out this year! So far I have 15 completed pages, so I have a minimum if five to fill :)

Japo
30-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Can you compile a draft with the material you have so far? I wish more people would weigh in :-) specially past contributors and editors.

Smiling Spectre
02-10-2017, 09:52 AM
I can read, if you don't matter my bad English (so I can make some notices about content, but not form :)

LianneJW1912
10-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Can you compile a draft with the material you have so far? I wish more people would weigh in :-) specially past contributors and editors.

Absolutely! Where shall I send the PDF? :)

tienkhoanguyen
12-10-2017, 12:12 PM
If you want just an Abandonia user who would appreciate your work for FREE just send it to my mailbox. I will be sure to get it mass exposed!

Japo
14-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Absolutely! Where shall I send the PDF? :)
Can you post it here? As an attachment to the forum, or if it's too big or you prefer, link from some 3rd party such as Dropbox?

LianneJW1912
26-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Can you post it here? As an attachment to the forum, or if it's too big or you prefer, link from some 3rd party such as Dropbox?

I'll pop it in a Google Drive when I can, apologies to everyone for being so late with my replies, I am still working on the magazine, I just have lots of different projects going on right now, and I'm working loads as well :( But I'll fire that over for hopefully tomorrow, it's not all formatted but it's at least a geniune proof of concept, if nothing else :) <3

tienkhoanguyen
27-10-2017, 01:38 AM
I'll pop it in a Google Drive when I can, apologies to everyone for being so late with my replies, I am still working on the magazine, I just have lots of different projects going on right now, and I'm working loads as well :( But I'll fire that over for hopefully tomorrow, it's not all formatted but it's at least a geniune proof of concept, if nothing else :) <3

I was wondering where you went to. You know working to take care of your place and pay the rent is more important than this. I am on sabbatical right now. Maybe until January 2018. So I don't think anymore programs are going to be produced on a volunteer basis. It is cold outside now even in Texas. Christmas is just around the corner. However a suggestion if you are too busy you could use what you have up to date. I know I always produce little stuffs and update refrequently so people have something to look at and not have to wait so long. I'm telling you that I thought the articles you wrote back in the first two or three pages are good. Don't be a perfectionist or else you drive yourself nuts. I know because I cracked being a perfectionist in the past. It is okay to say no especially if you feel like giving up. The important thing is you stay in the game and in business. You don't want to retire early and give up what you love doing because you push yourself too hard. Take a break when you need it is what my dad and mom always says.

In fact my sisters graduated from the University because they listened to my parents advice and guidance of following within guidelines of what is morally right. Both sisters got married in the church thanks to Jesus Christ! So please this is just friendly advice. If your job is at stake then don't take my advice if you think it's not going to work. My uncle has a job and he is a perfectionist. He takes pride in doing the job right and his boss always is proud of him!

LianneJW1912
28-10-2017, 08:57 PM
I was wondering where you went to. You know working to take care of your place and pay the rent is more important than this. I am on sabbatical right now. Maybe until January 2018. So I don't think anymore programs are going to be produced on a volunteer basis. It is cold outside now even in Texas. Christmas is just around the corner. However a suggestion if you are too busy you could use what you have up to date. I know I always produce little stuffs and update refrequently so people have something to look at and not have to wait so long. I'm telling you that I thought the articles you wrote back in the first two or three pages are good. Don't be a perfectionist or else you drive yourself nuts. I know because I cracked being a perfectionist in the past. It is okay to say no especially if you feel like giving up. The important thing is you stay in the game and in business. You don't want to retire early and give up what you love doing because you push yourself too hard. Take a break when you need it is what my dad and mom always says.

In fact my sisters graduated from the University because they listened to my parents advice and guidance of following within guidelines of what is morally right. Both sisters got married in the church thanks to Jesus Christ! So please this is just friendly advice. If your job is at stake then don't take my advice if you think it's not going to work. My uncle has a job and he is a perfectionist. He takes pride in doing the job right and his boss always is proud of him!

Ummmmm, okkk...

LianneJW1912
28-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Well regardless, this should do for a proof of concept, it's most of what I have for now, plus a little bit more :) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9D-HdqfjD5cOVVzT1FUanB5Y1E

Mystvan
28-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Well regardless, this should do for a proof of concept, it's most of what I have for now, plus a little bit more :) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9D-HdqfjD5cOVVzT1FUanB5Y1E

Greetings, (E / Li)Lianne Jane Watson. :umm: :hihihi: Do you happen to be not younger sister of Mary Jane Watson? :mhh: :drool: Give the best regards to Peter Parker :paparazzi:... XD

I did not read everything but I found it very interesting :OK:... I just hope you have not met John Jonah Jameson aka JJJ... :sick: :zoidberg:

By the way, it would be interesting if you did a survey on which game articles readers would be most interested in. :idea:

LianneJW1912
29-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Greetings, (E / Li)Lianne Jane Watson. :umm: :hihihi: Do you happen to be not younger sister of Mary Jane Watson? :mhh: :drool: Give the best regards to Peter Parker... XD

I did not read everything but I found it very interesting :OK:... I just hope you have not met John Jonah Jameson aka JJJ... :sick:

By the way, it would be interesting if you did a survey on which game articles readers would be most interested in. :idea:

I will be setting up a forum thread in due course, provided this all goes ahead of course, for various questions ahead of time for Issue 5

Smiling Spectre
30-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Hey, LianneJW1912, I checked your magazine. Great work! But it has several factual errors...

- Dune is not WRPG, in any aspect. It have adventuring part, quite standard for anyone familiar with Legend games, and strategy/tactics part for troop management, so it can be viewed as Adventure/Strategy... but no RPG aspect at all.

- Roadwar 2000 was made in 1986, right, but ported by Westwood in 1987. (Also, my bad English prevent me from understanding part about it would be several years before a game was made and released by Westwood. What is this passage mean? That Roadwar is earlier than Dune 2? That Westwood could made this game by itself? Sorry, maybe personal issue. :(

- Mars Saga is really from Commodore. But all sources I found tells that Apple and DOS ports was the same time, in 1989. Not "Commodore and Apple, then DOS". Also note that both Apple and DOS versions named "Mines of Titan" and redone original game the same way.

- Battle Tech - minor style error: "whilst the game retained most of features...although the game put a large emphasis". Some of this two words is obsolete there, no? :)

- Circuit's Strike actually is Circuit's Edge (and it correctly named in cut-in at right).

- Dune II really was ported to Amiga in 1993. But only in 1994 for Mega Drive.

- Rome: Total War is far from first in TW series. Shogun: Total War precedes it for 4 years, and Medieval: Total War for two. Rome was third.

- Homeworld. I disagree with description. Having 3D is really what make it aside of other RTSes, but otherwise game is quite typical "harvest and kill". You talk about "Campaign objectives"? Then check objectives of every mission. Kill, harvest, defend, eradicate, repeat.

- Space Hulk. PC-98 version is from 1995.

That's all, I think. Sorry if it was inappropriate.

Japo
30-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Looks like we have good teamwork already :-)

It's starting to look great already, the work is very much appreciated!

Some comments off the bat... The regular font and others look a bit too regular; we could use the same as in previous issues, keeping a uniform style throughout. The front page could also have more graphics and stuff, but it makes sense to wait to design it last.

Have you used the source documents from previous issues for images, fonts etc. or the PDF? I wonder if we have the sources around this forum...

We have a whole forum board, so don't hesitate to create as many threads as you need to poll for ideas and review articles.

Mystvan
30-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Hey, LianneJW1912, I checked your magazine. Great work! But it has several factual errors...

- Dune is not WRPG, in any aspect. It have adventuring part, quite standard for anyone familiar with Legend games, and strategy/tactics part for troop management, so it can be viewed as Adventure/Strategy... but no RPG aspect at all.

- Roadwar 2000 was made in 1986, right, but ported by Westwood in 1987. (Also, my bad English prevent me from understanding part about it would be several years before a game was made and released by Westwood. What is this passage mean? That Roadwar is earlier than Dune 2? That Westwood could made this game by itself? Sorry, maybe personal issue. :(

- Mars Saga is really from Commodore. But all sources I found tells that Apple and DOS ports was the same time, in 1989. Not "Commodore and Apple, then DOS". Also note that both Apple and DOS versions named "Mines of Titan" and redone original game the same way.

- Battle Tech - minor style error: "whilst the game retained most of features...although the game put a large emphasis". Some of this two words is obsolete there, no? :)

- Circuit's Strike actually is Circuit's Edge (and it correctly named in cut-in at right).

- Rome: Total War is far from first in TW series. Shogun: Total War precedes it for 4 years, and Medieval: Total War for two. Rome was third.

- Homeworld. I disagree with description. Having 3D is really what make it aside of other RTSes, but otherwise game is quite typical "harvest and kill". You talk about "Campaign objectives"? Then check objectives of every mission. Kill, harvest, defend, eradicate, repeat.

Greetings, Grandmaster Spectre-man. :borg: I do not think making proofread is a bad thing. On the contrary, the information will be more precise and errors can be minimized. :OK: While the Grammar Squad could handle possible grammatical errors.

EDIT:

Not to mention that, as Abandonia is well known, presenting incorrect data and information would be inglorious for the site. :sick:

I imagine the embarrassment if influential portals specialized in their respective forms of entertainment such as IMDb, Mobygames, BU / MU, ANN presented incorrect data. :headslap:

LianneJW1912
31-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Not at all, feedback is welcome! Yeah the dates can be fixed easily, that's fine :) R:TW was initially going to be M:TW, but I changed it because I far prefer R:TW, that must have slipped through the cracks :) I found Homeworld to be a unique game, but I might include that in a 'comments from the forums' section in the next issue! :) In the Westwood issue, I believe I was talking about the port jobs undertaken by Westwood in reference here, but I'll have to check :)

LianneJW1912
10-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Just to keep everyone in the loop, I am still writing and editing the magazine :) I'm working on finishing up the writing of the articles I've already done, and finishing the editing of the articles I've already put in the magazine :) I have a good amount of spare time tomorrow, so I am hoping to get a respectable amoiunt completed by then, with the aim of getting the whole 'zine done by the end of this month. As always, any submissions are welcome! <3 Thanks!

LianneJW1912
29-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone, sorry to have not posted any updates for a while... As you can likely tell, the magazine has run over a little longer than I would have liked, I've been SUPER busy at work recently and simply haven't found the time to commit to producing AT4, plus I've been suffering from some extreme writers block whenever I've sat down to type anything! To keep you informed, most of the planned articles are finished, I've cut one that I haven't written anything for yet but that'll probably make an appearance further down the line... As we approach the christmas season, and with the completion in any way, shape or form of the magazine several weeks away, there'll be a christmas themed article in there as well for good measure, and hopefully this will be a christmas present for everyone at Abandonia! <3 I do have a question however: Does anyone have a picture of the Abandoned Times logo with no background? I'm trying to re-do the front cover but I only have beige to work with on the title :/ Thanks!

LJ

Mystvan
29-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone, sorry to have not posted any updates for a while... As you can likely tell, the magazine has run over a little longer than I would have liked, I've been SUPER busy at work recently and simply haven't found the time to commit to producing AT4, plus I've been suffering from some extreme writers block whenever I've sat down to type anything! To keep you informed, most of the planned articles are finished, I've cut one that I haven't written anything for yet but that'll probably make an appearance further down the line... As we approach the christmas season, and with the completion in any way, shape or form of the magazine several weeks away, there'll be a christmas themed article in there as well for good measure, and hopefully this will be a christmas present for everyone at Abandonia! <3 I do have a question however: Does anyone have a picture of the Abandoned Times logo with no background? I'm trying to re-do the front cover but I only have beige to work with on the title :/ Thanks!

LJ

Dear Lilianne Jane Watson. As you are the younger sister of the celebrated Mary Jane Watson, :drool: you are more than forgiven... :OK:

Now, seriously, I do not think you should always be apologetic and justifying. It gives me the impression that you feel under pressure of responsibility on the magazine AT4. :zip:

All of us, including former notable members of Abandonia, have been more active in the past and now we are also busy. So do not feel blamed, stressed and under pressure for the late release of magazine AT4. :zip:

Relax and do things at your own speed and in your own way. Here the work is voluntary and you can also request assistance from members who have already volunteered to complement your work (Grandmaster Spectre-man, etc.).

Not to mention that your #1 reader, the legendary Captien Bible, is currently in Purgatory, enjoying all the delights and perks there. :sunning:

So said, be more rested. Oh, and say hi to Mary Jane Watson :drool: and Peter Parker.

PS: I am pretty sure you have the vocation to be a redactor thanks to Peter Parker’s influence as a photographer. :paparazzi:

LianneJW1912
03-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Looks like we have good teamwork already :-)

It's starting to look great already, the work is very much appreciated!

Some comments off the bat... The regular font and others look a bit too regular; we could use the same as in previous issues, keeping a uniform style throughout. The front page could also have more graphics and stuff, but it makes sense to wait to design it last.

Have you used the source documents from previous issues for images, fonts etc. or the PDF? I wonder if we have the sources around this forum...

We have a whole forum board, so don't hesitate to create as many threads as you need to poll for ideas and review articles.

i'll be honest, I've only just seen this as it is :/ No I haven't been using any of those resources, and I'm so far in I'm not sure if I will in this particular issue, though for my style and general presentation I was inspired by previous issues of AT :) Font is something I can change in a heartbeat, I'm just getting all the text in and in place first so I can work from there :)

LianneJW1912
22-12-2017, 10:38 PM
As it is the final articles are being wrapped, as are my Christmas presents for family and friends! :smile2: If I can get the magazine formatted within the next day or so, it could also be a Christmas present for Abandonia! I've had to cut several articles due to losing contact with potential contributorsor because ones I've written were either not good enough or outdated and irrelevent. Unless anything drastic changes within the next couple of days, AT4 will be going out with 20 pages, and plans in motion for AT5! I think everything else I have to say will be covered in the editorial, which I am excited to be writing at last, as it's the part I didn't want to write until I felt sure the magazine was ready and greenlit!

Mystvan
24-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Dear (E / Li)Lianne JW... It looks like the AB Times (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?p=457426#post457426) crew (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?p=457428#post457428) are retired (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?p=364180#post364180). :old: You could apply to join the AB Times crew (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?p=457170#post457170).

By the way, I am glad you fulfilled the promise to complete the manuscript before Christmas to the Captien Bible. :OK: Too bad that your reader #1, Captien Bible is no longer here. He was demoted from rank of Captien to Privatien by constant insubordination and rebellion to the imperial orders during the trial of the Martial Court presided over by the Grand Emperor Japodeis :king: (not Capo :poke: nor Paco! :paco:). After that, he was banished to Purgatory. Thus, the former Captien Bible is now Privatien Bible and is currently in Purgatory. https://media.giphy.com/media/29Sdfydfmkmv6/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/qQ0oahZwE4UNy/200w_d.gif https://media.giphy.com/media/qYMKCONGqM5jO/200w_d.gif

My humble suggestion: A much faster and more efficient solution would be to contact your big sister, the sweet MJ (Mary Jane) :drool: and your brother-in-law Peter Parker :spiderman: :paparazzi: to take your precious (Gollum! Gollum!) manuscript to the Daily Bugle and appease the somewhat impatient moods of the grumpy JJJ (John Jonah Jameson, Jr.). :doom: Oh, and bring your Grumpy Cat to see the competition of the grumpiest physiognomy between the two. Have a Nice Caturday! Meow! :kitty:

LianneJW1912
24-12-2017, 10:52 PM
I'd like to wish all users of Abandonia a very merry christmas! As a Christmas present to everyone, I would like to present ABANDONED TIMES: ISSUE 4. Hopefully we can get it on the site soon! A very merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d2mONOJxRTdT1jFZMyKpr1_29HWyob0f

Mighty Midget
25-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Wow... Absolute ace job on that one. That was one hell of a pressie.

LianneJW1912
25-12-2017, 05:47 PM
Wow... Absolute ace job on that one. That was one hell of a pressie.

My very humble thanks sir :) I just hope we can get it on the main website soon enough :) But of course I understand that the holiday season might well set it back somewhat

Japo
26-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks so much Lianne! I'll look into adding it to the website when I'm back home in Holland! Here in Spain I don't have wifi. Thank you for all the work you've done on your own, and merry Xmas!

Smiling Spectre
27-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Great job, Lianne! Thank you!

LianneJW1912
27-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Great job, Lianne! Thank you!

Thank you very much :)