PDA

View Full Version : Discworld isn't creating savegames

arete
08-02-2014, 05:16 PM
In a bit of a nostalgic mood, I re-downloaded Discworld 1 from AB. I installed it and am running dwb.exe in dosbox 7.4 in XP sp2. (my old desktop system)

Whenever I try to save a game, I go F1 - Save a Game - type in the game's name and click the green tick button, and then no save game is created. I check straight away in the discwrld/save folder, and nothing appears. And then occasionally the game crashes, and I have to start from scratch :palm:

Does anyone know of a patch or fix for this problem? The only solution I could find (making sure there is a folder called SAVE in DISCWRLD) is already done, but no savegames appear in there.

zirkoni
10-02-2014, 09:15 AM
http://scummvm.org/

KrazeeXXL
10-02-2014, 12:34 PM
did you mount the drive where the game is installed with the -freespace parameter?

Smiling Spectre
10-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Test 1:

1. Installed from AB archive.
2. Make SAVE subdir in created DISCWLD folder.
3. Run. Everything works just fine.

Test 2:

1. Run the same DISC.BAT from the same already-created dir, directly to DOSBOX.
2. Save doesn't work.

Conclusion: you must mount one dir up from DISCWLD, to be able to play. :)

Smiling Spectre
10-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Test 1:

1. Installed from AB archive.
2. Make SAVE subdir in created DISCWLD folder.
3. Run. Everything works just fine.

Test 2:

1. Run the same DISC.BAT from the same already-created dir, directly to DOSBOX.
2. Save doesn't work.

Conclusion: you must mount one dir up from DISCWLD, to be able to play. :) (I.e. you must have named DISCWLD in your virtual C).

arete
10-02-2014, 03:05 PM
A friend from Vogons tried to help me patch/update the archive, but I've managed to bork it into asking for the cd, now. I am the worst gamer in the history of abandonware :picard: :lame: :wacko:

Smiling Spectre
10-02-2014, 04:40 PM
arete, you make it unnecessary complicated. :)

Ok, let's start again.

1. You absolutely must have your saves under DISCWLD\SAVE\ folder.
2. So you have two solutions:
2.1. Install game under DISCWLD folder, make SAVE subfolder, and always mount directory above this DISCWLD. For example, if game is on real C:\GAMES\DISCWLD, you need to mount C:\GAMES in DOSBox for play.
2.2. Install game anywhere you want, and make DISCWLD\SAVE inside this folder. I.e., make another DISCWLD folder inside first one, then directory SAVE inside it. Now you can simply pull DISC.BAT into DOSBox to play. :)