PDA

View Full Version : Buying An Electric Guitar

TheVoid
17-02-2005, 06:05 PM
I've decided to buy an electric guitar, together with my bro. I started playing acoustic one 'bout one month ago, and he's been playing for 10 years so he's kinda experienced.

I'd like to hear some good advice, keeping an eye on the budget (I wouldn't want to spend more than 200 € / 260 $ ). I already have amplifiers.

My thought were mainly on Ibanez, or perhaps a second-hand Fender. But i'm open to suggestions of any kind.

Thanks!

ReamusLQ
17-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I don't know too much about guitars, seeing as how I am more of a bass guy. You can get a pretty decent ibanez. For about a hundred more you could get a pretty good Dean. I dunno, the guitar my brother has is a Les Paul Black Beauty, so I don't really know lower end guitars too well.

Scarface
17-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Fender Strat is always the answer :band:

ReamusLQ
17-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Scarface@Feb 17 2005, 11:16 AM
Not always. Like I said, my brother had a strat for awhile, but he decided he liked the Gibson Les Paul sound better. The Black beauty is such a beautiful guitar. I think it's what BB King plays

Tulac
17-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Scarface@Feb 17 2005, 08:16 PM
That's what they all say( most of them cause that's the only 'good' guitar they've heard off :bleh:) , for your mone you can't buy yourself a great guitar, but there are a few good picks probably in used guitars I can't think of any models, but buy a known brand!

Scarface
17-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Feb 17 2005, 02:17 PM
Not always. Like I said, my brother had a strat for awhile, but he decided he liked the Gibson Les Paul sound better. The Black beauty is such a beautiful guitar. I think it's what BB King plays
If you want a good guitar and not so expensive the Strat is the answer... but I have to agree with your brother, the Gibson Les Paul sounds and looks so much better :ok:

gildedgirth
17-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah, Gibson Les Paul's rock and so do Fender Stratocaster's. The two classic guitars. Can't go wrong with those two choices.

However, you might want to take a look at a Fender Telecaster. It's got a deeper fuller sound than a Stratocaster and it's also a classic. LIke the Stratocaster, it has a curved neck, unlike the Les Paul, which is flat. This is a matter of preference but I find when I'm playing funk or lots of high on the neck frantic chord playing (muted chords, ala Prince/Red Hot Chili players), I dig the curved neck (while I use my Ibanz guitar with a flat neck for metal/thrash songs).

You'd be surprised how many classic rock album's people think were recorded with a Les Paul or Strat and were actually Telecasters. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin is almost always seen in pictures with a Les Paul but a little known fact is that he recorded almost the entire first Zep album with a Telecaster. Also some of Jimi Hendrix classic songs, he used a Telecaster as well, and not his classic reverse strung righty-Statocaster (Hendrix was left handed but played a right-handed Start).

Or you could be like Van Halen and get his classic "Brown sound" and use a Stratocaster and change your pickup's and put a humbucker pickup in there.

But really, I'd ask yourself what 1) Guitar gods you like to emulate, 2) what type of music you like and 3) if you'd prefer a curved or flat neck.

Or then again you can be like me and what happens to every other "serious" amateur guitar player and after several years of playing you'll eventually have several guitars. =)

ReamusLQ
17-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Yeah, telecasters have a really smooth sound too. I think I prefer them to strats.

Darken
17-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I personaly would go with a Epiphone Les Paul for a cheap guitar. But if you want to spend some money then perhaps a Gibson SG.

Strobe
21-02-2005, 11:22 AM
when i consider my personal experience, ibanez and epiphone are very good!

ESP is recommendable as well. fender and gibson are classics for sure, but these
products might be set quite high, budget-wise! otherwise, if you search for second-
hand guitars you could be lucky and find some low-priced ones...why not.

for me not only the company name and the quality of a guitar is important but also
its design. design-wise i would always prefer ESP and ibanez for i love their sharp
shape, but that's a matter of taste.

TheVoid
22-02-2005, 07:37 PM
I appreciate all of your advices. :)
I'm going to have a look/buy on Thursday, and i'll let you know. I'd tend to remove squier from the list, since everyone seems to dislike it :P
My personal taste would lead me to get an Ibanez, but i'll see what I can get in two days.

Thanks again :ok:

einherjar
22-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Why get a guitar? Guitars are for rednecks and stuck-up EMO/goth morons. Most people who get them these days just give it up when they realize how much more difficult it is to learn how to play than it actually seems, anyway. Even if you do take the time to learn how to play it, your interest in the electric guitar tells me that you'll focus on guitar solos just so you can be just like your favorite nu-metal/death metal/EMO/hardcore bands who can't play anything BUT guitar riffs, which have peppered the trendy music scene for the past 40 years. It's time the "musically elite" learn to play something else.

Want to get involved in music? Learn something timeless like the piano.

Mentor
22-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Dude, you're a Canalis Analis.

So Hendrix was a redneck/goth? McCartney was too, I suppose? What about Townshend? Jack Bruce?

Gibson makes some really good budget-priced guitars, AND you can find them used alot from people who don't know the value of what they've got.

I found two of the greatest guitars of all time, the Gibson EB-0 (one pickup model) and a completely left-handed Rickenbacker 4001, which I learned to play right, Hendrix-style, on E-Bay a few years back for a hundred a piece from the same guy, who was dumping all of his musical gear because he failed at the club scene. They were in MINT condition.

Just gotta mix luck with timing, I guess.

Then again, I prefer the synth. I can fake just about any instrument you can imagine, and I can do with without the electric undertone, thanks to a good keyboard and better software.

einherjar
22-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Mentor@Feb 22 2005, 05:29 PM
Dude, you're a Canalis Analis.
Heh... and you can't even say why, can you?

Mentor
22-02-2005, 09:35 PM
As it turns out, that's what the filter does to behind hole.

Anal canal. I like that better. Sounds better, actually. And you're an anal canal because you're being a complete and utter jerk to someone for no damn reason whatsoever, and insulting a cross-section of the musical genre, the guitarist, that was solely responsible for the musical revolution.

No, there probably is a reason. You're probably bitter and jaded over the fact that you were forced to learn piano by your parents when you either A) didn't want to learn any instrument, or B ) wanted to learn guitar, and after learning some about the piano latched onto it in an odd attempt to become superior to the "lower" forms of music, like guitar, and those that use and perform with them. Your generalization of people who play and try to learn guitar is just dumb, mostly because you lump everyone who's ever learned or played guitar into a minor sub-section of the people that perform with guitars.

As for the "timelessness" of the piano, what's a guitar? An evolved lute. A lute is an evolved harp. And, in a manner of speaking, a piano is a de-evolved harp, since you're disconnected from the actual production of the sound by the keys and, in a real piano's case, the hammers.

Havell
22-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I agree, Void is not planning on doing this as a career, he enjoys guitar music and thats what matters. Anyway, guitar riffs are goodness personified :band:

As for the guitar, I don't know, I prefer to leave the job of making music to the professionals so I can just listen to the results :D

einherjar
22-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Musicians these days just pull off guitar riffs in their songs and do little else, and people buy guitars for the sex appeal first and foremost, often not realising the difficulty in learning a new instrument, let alone the guitar.

Tulac
22-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Gee that's a really brave statement Canalis Analis, I learn to play guitar and:
a) I'm not focusing on the solos, I play rhytm in a band(well not yet we need a bass player), but i also now a few solos.
b) I disgust those nu metal bands, we play older punk/rock mostly 50/50 Croatian/Foreign
c) I know for a fact my friend would kill you if you said that in his face, I'm no "goth" or whatever...
d) I enjoy playing guitar...
e) My sister plays piano for 16 years(of education), and although she likes to play it, she can't play it with her friends, or bring it to a beach, or whatever...

So Cannalis Annalis don't make prejudice cause a few stupid kids want to learn the awesome mtv-metal, they'll drop it in a few days...

Real guitar players play cause of joy not because of fashion, those who follow fashion forget it very next day...

einherjar
22-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Tulac@Feb 22 2005, 05:48 PM
Gee that's a really brave statement* Canalis Analis, I learn to play guitar and:
a) I'm not focusing on the solos, I play rhytm in a band(well not yet we need a bass player), but i also lnow a few solos.
B) I disgust those nu metal bands, we play older punk/rock mostly 50/50 Croatian/Foreign
c) I know for a fact my friend would kill you if you said that in his face, I'm no "goth" or whatever...
d) I enjoy playing guitar...
e) My sister plays piano for 16 years(of education), and although she likes to play it, she can't play it with her friends, or bring it to a beach, or whatever...

f)So Cannalis Annalis don't make prejudice cause a few stupid kids want to learn the awesome mtv-metal, they'll drop it in a few days...

g)Real guitar players play cause of joy not because of fashion, those who follow fashion forget it very next day...
a) So?

b.) I didn't say EVERYONE

c) Goths (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=gothics) are stupid. (http://www.maddox.xmission.com/gothagain.html)

d) I wasn't insulting any musical instruments.

e) See d.

f) Why else do people get guitars? They don't want to impersonate Willie Nelson, do they? If you read my other posts, what you said here is exactly why I'm against guitars so much. Why can't people be more independent and learn other instruments? Why is there this fad with guitars?

g) See f.

Mentor
22-02-2005, 10:46 PM
By not responding to mine, you've pretty well prooved my point.

I can play about ten different instruments, give or take, and guitar and bass guitar are my favorites, save the lute and the didjeridoo. The piano, keyboard, synth, whatever is a decent enough instrument, but it's not the end-all.

Unknown Hero
22-02-2005, 11:20 PM
@TheVoid

Since you are planning to spend 200€, you can't buy anything better than Yamaha Pacifica 112 (in a shop). Second hand guitars can be better option, but you need to have an experienced friend that will tell you if the guitar is in good shape. So I will advise you to buy Yamaha. The guitar is good for begining, and later, if you want to play in band, you can buy a better one. :ok:

mouse31e
22-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by einherjar@Feb 22 2005, 11:01 PM
Why is there this fad with guitars?

I can't see why it's an issue.

The guitar is an accessible instrument. It is not difficult to reach a level where you can play music that you enjoy playing. Other instruments do not offer that. To play popular music on the piano for example takes a lot more work. That is one reason why the guitar is popular. The other, as you already said, is that guitar is a much used instrument in popular music and people want to play it because of that. Is that a bad thing? I would have thought anything that encourages people to get involved with music at any level is a good thing? Music is great and everyone should be able to give it a go. It's not Elitist!

Also, the guitar has been a craze since the 1950's if not before - not really a passing fad is it?

EDIT: As budget guitars go i agree that the Pacifica 112 is nice. Nothing special, but will certainly do the job. If you can get a secondhand one in good condition (five years old or more) it's probably slightly better as I believe Yamaha have started to use cheaper materials for them.

einherjar
22-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Mentor+Feb 22 2005, 06:46 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mentor @ Feb 22 2005, 06:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>By not responding to mine, you've pretty well prooved my point.

I can play about ten different instruments, give or take, and guitar and bass guitar are my favorites, save the lute and the didjeridoo. The piano, keyboard, synth, whatever is a decent enough instrument, but it's not the end-all.[/b]
Sorry, but I hold little in regard for people who try to win arguments by directly insulting people they are arguing with. You've completely lost any and all credibility in my eyes, no matter what you say.

Originally posted by mouse31e@
The guitar is an accessible instrument. It is not difficult to reach a level where you can play music that you enjoy playing.* Other instruments do not offer that. To play popular music on the piano for example takes a lot more work. That is one reason why the guitar is popular. The other, as you already said, is that guitar is a much used instrument in popular music and people want to play it because of that.

Well, I didn't say it was impossible. It's not an easy instrument to learn, but there are harder ones. Ever try the trombone? It's not easy.

Besides, I was speaking more about sex appeal and trendiness as reasons why the current generation has an interest with guitars (or at least the current American generation).

******QuoteBegin-mouse31e
Is that a bad thing? I would have thought anything that encourages people to get involved with music at any level is a good thing? Music is great and everyone should be able to give it a go. It's not Elitist![/quote]

Not like the trendies would take the time to actually learn it. I often see alterior motives for learning the guitar.

ReamusLQ
23-02-2005, 12:30 AM
I play guitar every now and then. Just recently I picked it up to learn some French love songs for Valentines day. Am I extremely good at guitar? Absolutely not! Why did I first learn guitar? Because my girlfriend at the time thought guitar was hot, and my brother had one, so I figured "hey, why not try it!" So my brother showed me a few chords. So yes, I first learned guitar to impress a girl, but I figured "hey, it's just another motivation for learning another instrument!" I really enjoy playing guitar and bass. My brothers and I jam all of the time, either me doing rhythm guitar or laying down a smooth bass groove. Stating the guitar is nothing more than a plebian instrument is incredibly ignorant. A guy I go to church with has his Master's in Classical Guitar, and he makes his instrument sing. He can play the most beautiful songs on it, and things that make many Bach Inventions look like Twinkle Twinkle. Can I? No, but I know enough to play along to favorite songs, and to satisfy myself. Who cares what the "alterior motive" behind playing an instrument is. I wouldn't have started singing seriously, but I really wanted to beat this stuck up arrogant prick in a singing competition, so I started taking lessons, learned I really like it, and it is now probably going to become my profession. As long as someone is learning an instrument, even if they only learn G-C-D and they can only play Luey Luey, then that's fine. I go with what was said earlier as well. See, I love playing piano, and bassoon, and sax, etc. etc. But you can't take a piano with you to the beach or camping. You aren't likely to lug a twenty pound bassoon case with you and expose such a precious instrument to the freezing cold. But when I'm a counselor for this camp where little fifth graders go all week, I can always carry my 5 pound guitar on my back and they absolutely LOVE it when I play for them and show them how to play. The guitar is an amazing instrument. If you aren't partial to it, then fine, but I guarantee there are people that can play more difficult things on guitar, than you could ever play on piano.

Mentor
23-02-2005, 12:44 AM
It makes things more flavorfull.

And I'm still right, since you still havn't tried to deny it.

ReamusLQ
23-02-2005, 12:46 AM
another comment, you can teach an eightyear old how to play Mozart. You can teach a five yearold how to play twinkle twinkle on piano. They can't play guitar, it is a much more complex instrument

Ferna182
23-02-2005, 01:18 AM
just an advice:

STAY AWAY FROM SQUIERS!
they are NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT fender......

Ibanez GRX ROCKS! they are great... but STAY AWAY FROM SQUIERS! i know what im saying

einherjar
23-02-2005, 01:28 AM
What can you play with a guitar? Rock, some jazz, blues, country, metal, and probably a few other contemporary genres. Ok, so the piano wasn't a great instrument to use as an example. How about clarinets? Clarinets are appealing in sound, easy to carry, and probably require less maintainence than a guitar. On top of that, skill in clarinets lends itself to saxophones, oboes, and English horns. The saxophone is a noble and versatile instrument all in itself, and can play a wide variety of musical styles, and serves well as a stand-alone instrument or in a band of any size.

Originally posted by Mentor+****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mentor)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It makes things more flavorfull.

And I'm still right, since you still havn't tried to deny it.[/b]

No it doesn't, it just makes you look like a jerk. Proving people wrong in a fair argument without relying on insults and harsh words is an art form; it shows maturity and determination, and you develop a style of your own as you practice. People generally don't like people who are skilled at the art of the debate, but they do command a great deal of respect, even if no one shows it outright.

However, because I feel generous and I finished my homework hours ago, I will humor your request:

Originally posted by Mentor@
As it turns out, that's what the filter does to behind hole.

Anal canal. I like that better. Sounds better, actually. And you're an anal canal because you're being a complete and utter jerk to someone for no damn reason whatsoever, and insulting a cross-section of the musical genre, the guitarist, that was solely responsible for the musical revolution.

My emotions have been battered mercilessly by your onslaught. Lord help me, I am vanquished. Woe is I.

******QuoteBegin-Mentor
No, there probably is a reason. You're probably bitter and jaded over the fact that you were forced to learn piano by your parents when you either A) didn't want to learn any instrument, or B ) wanted to learn guitar, and after learning some about the piano latched onto it in an odd attempt to become superior to the "lower" forms of music, like guitar, and those that use and perform with them.[/quote]

Now, I called my parents and asked them if they were contacted by someone calling himself Mentor from Abandonia who interviewed them about my childhood. They told me no one had ever interviewed them, so I guess you must have interviewed the wrong parents, as I don't ever remember telling anyone about my music career except for one Abandonian, and she knows that it had nothing to do with the piano OR the guitar, and my music path was specifically laid out by me and no one else.

Originally posted by Mentor+****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mentor)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Your generalization of people who play and try to learn guitar is just dumb,[/b]

Right, my generalization was dumb. Whatever that means.

mostly because you lump everyone who's ever learned or played guitar into a minor sub-section of the people that perform with guitars.

You haven't read all of my posts, have you? Learn to read everything before you jump to conclusions.

******QuoteBegin-Mentor
As for the "timelessness" of the piano, what's a guitar? An evolved lute. A lute is an evolved harp. And, in a manner of speaking, a piano is a de-evolved harp, since you're disconnected from the actual production of the sound by the keys and, in a real piano's case, the hammers.[/quote]

No, the piano is a direct descendant of the harpsichord, which is a descendant of the harp. Do you know the difference? The piano uses hammers on strings which produce the notes; the player can make the sounds louder or softer depending on how hard the keys are struck. The harpsichord's keys pluck the strings instead of striking them, however there is very little volume control as compared to the piano. The harp uses strings extended in midair which can make notes by strumming or plucking the strings. The lute and guitars are the same, except that they are attached against a frame with a hollowed out inner section that produces a different sound.

And as for "timelessness," how much of today's guitar heavy music will be remembered 500 years from now? It's all the same, with constant drum bashing and loud guitar riffs, and often containing lyrics that are just mindless angsty drivel.

Originally posted by Mentor
So Hendrix was a redneck/goth? McCartney was too, I suppose? What about Townshend? Jack Bruce?

Not in this day and age. Guitars are played by country and goth/EMO/nu-metal bands these days. If you had read the statement carefully, you would have found that I implied this about modern guitarists, not the older musicians.

Mentor
23-02-2005, 01:32 AM
And by being a condescending silly person, you once again proove my point. Thank you, and thank you again.

einherjar
23-02-2005, 01:48 AM
That's the pithiest comeback you could come up with? I'm truly disappointed.

ReamusLQ
23-02-2005, 05:36 AM
einhjer, there is no shame in playing guitar. As I said, the guy at my church plays the most incredible songs I have ever heard in my entire life on guitar. Everyone likes it, so why not play it? It's easy to learn the basics, and it's entertaining. This is a stupid argument, that one only plays guitar for the sex appeal, etc. It's a musical instrument. I mean, I play the Pennywhistle for heaven's sakes, because it's fun and entertaining. It is basically a glorified Recorder. Chill out man. One who looks down on others as nothing more than a bunch of plebians, and glorify themselves at the "plebians" expense, don't make friends very quickly, and they tend to be having problems themselves.

Mentor
23-02-2005, 05:40 AM
You think I actually give a rat's behind about his little "argument"? You're fooling yourself. Besides, you've already prooved for me that I was right, so there's no point in trying anymore.

Puffin
23-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by einherjar@Feb 23 2005, 02:28 AM
Ok, so the piano wasn't a great instrument to use as an example. How about clarinets? Clarinets are appealing in sound, easy to carry, and probably require less maintainence than a guitar. On top of that, skill in clarinets lends itself to saxophones, oboes, and English horns. The saxophone is a noble and versatile instrument all in itself, and can play a wide variety of musical styles, and serves well as a stand-alone instrument or in a band of any size.
I was not going to interfere with this.. BUT!

You kidding?? :blink:
Taking clarinet to campfires, beach, whatever?
Well, if your goal is to ruin it, then okey!

If that suggestion was pointed at the Void, then.... The current temperature where he is now is -2°c. Colder than Iceland. Taking a clarinet outside in that cold is.. DUMB!
(Would you take your bassoon outside in that temperature?)

I started playing guitar because I was bored. I was bored, had nothing to do, and saw a guitar. Not because I thought it was cool or anything. I don't think guitars are any cooler than other instruments.
But it's undoubtably easier to pick up a few chords, which can be used to play pretty neat songs, than to learn to play a song on clarinet. Or english horn, oboe, whatever.

Anyways, I'm not going to argue about this. Those were my two cents.

taikara
23-02-2005, 01:46 PM
That, and you can play more than one note at once, allowing for harmonies, unlike woodwinds, brass, etc.

Also, you forgot to mention classical. Classical music can be played on guitar.

Actually, just about anything can be played on guitar.

And a guitar is much more portable than a keyboard or a xylophone or harpsichord.

How bout we compromise, though?

Instead of learning guitar, we can learn the zither:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/notkid/images/zither.jpg

Same basic functionality as guitar, portable, and unlikely to be considered trendy.

How's that? :D

Dino
23-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok, after all this discussion, i just have few things to say:

For that money TheVoid is willing to spend, he CAN'T buy original high quality american Fender Stratocaster (and other original models as well) unless he is willing to spend about 1000 Euros (at least!!!). You must make a difference between original Fenders and Korean models, which are lower in quality. The thing you mustn't do is get carried away when you see guitar labeled Fender in your local store, take a look at the price... Most of the stores won't even have original Fenders in stock... I'm not stating that those cheaper Korean models are bad, they are still much more better than some of the Yamaha's (which are low and middle-end classic), Maxtone's or some similar so calles manufacturers... But the thing is you can buy much better guitars for that price - some of the Ibanez classics is good choice. But you must also consider difference in style, preferences are different...

And now, for the Squiers...I completely agree that Squier isn't Fender - it's a cheaper copy, as it says on the all of Squier's guitars - Squier, by Fender! But you can also find quality middle-end Squiers which are much more better than those cheap Fenders. I would personally recommend Squier Stagemaster :Stagemaster (http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Fender/PR/Stagemaster/Stagemaster.html). I own black Stagemaster and have been playing it for about 2 years now, it is a very good guitar. When i bought it from local store, I payed about 500 euros for it, and I don't know how much it costs at the moment but I guess it should be much more cheaper considering new models been released!

@TheVoid : Ask steff in your local dealer store to plug in amp guitar you're interested in, try them all out, see which lies best in your hands, consider the price, the design and material, and you will make the right decision! :ok:

TheVoid
23-02-2005, 05:09 PM
First of all: thank you very much for the quantity and quality of advices you provided, I've now clearer ideas.

@einherjar and mentor= no need to start a fight on this.

I (or should I say we) want to buy an electric guitar because I enjoy playing it 'till now (I've had occasions to try a friend of mine's B.C.Rich Warlock Platinum Pro), and think that I'll enjoy it even more, the more expert I become with it.

Besides, I got no "favorite nu-metal/death metal/EMO/hardcore bands who can't play anything BUT guitar riffs", because that's not really my genre of music. Nor have I a "guitar god" to emulate. I just like to play guitar.

I already have a piano at home, but it's not in my plans to learn how to play it. I leave it to my bro who has a degree in it. I'll maybe try it in the future, who knows.

As for the model, I heard nothing but good about Ibanez, I could probably go with one of those, unless I can find some good second-hand one (the store has got quite some).
As for the money, that is the money I'm willing to spend, but nothing forbids me to raise it a bit if I can find a higher level guitar at a good price :ok:

Strobe
23-02-2005, 06:05 PM
let me assure you that ibanez won't dissapoint you!!! :ok:

but, no matter what decision you will take, inform us about your new baby
as soon as you have it, won't you?

The Levitating Nun
23-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I'd say that the fender strat is better for blues playing, that's why ya see Eric Clapton playing one, the ibanez is far more of a rock guitar and there's the 7 string which Steve Vai plays and he's more of a metal/rock guitarist.

Tulac
23-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I play guitar because I like it and I don't need some dork over the net telling me something else, if he(The Void) is interested in playing guitars, let him play, why should he play a freakin' clarinet or whatever, if you don't like guitar, that's OK, but you can't go on bulls**ting to other people so STFU!
And goths don't even play guitars they sample the sound....(commercial bands), and they act on stage...
Einherjar, your only implying to mainstream, but guitar isn't so mainstream anymore, many kids do fruity loops and sample a few beats for rap...

Puffin
23-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Void is a guy ;)

Al, good luck finding the "perfect match" ;)
When you see the right one, you'll know it! :bye:

Tulac
23-02-2005, 08:13 PM
What are you talking about? I know she's a guy :P

BTW giving advice to buy Les Paul or a Stratocaster to a person with 200€ isn't very wise... Sometimes I have a feeling that people talk about these guitars, cause those are the only models that they've heard of...

Dino
23-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Tulac@Feb 23 2005, 10:13 PM
What are you talking about? I know she's a guy :P

BTW giving advice to buy Les Paul or a Stratocaster to a person with 200€ isn't very wise... Sometime I have a feeling that people talk about these guitar, cause they've only heard of those...
Completely agree with this! If you have basic knowledge about guitar playing, you can only laugh on these statements.

einherjar
23-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tulac@Feb 23 2005, 03:49 PM
Einherjar, your only implying to mainstream, but guitar isn't so mainstream anymore, many kids do fruity loops and sample a few beats for rap...
Of course I was, that's why I posted in the first place. You see, America is much different from East Europe; it may seem to you that the guitar isn't very mainstream in Croatia, but here, the trendy white high school boys go for guitars because they are almost guaranteed to get a flock of shallow-minded girls fawning over them.

Shallow minded girl+guitar=sex on first date (if sex ISN'T the date itself).

Rap uses very little guitar, and as such the rap fans wouldn't be caught dead with a guitar.

taikara
24-02-2005, 12:19 AM
*wonders what part of America you're from*

What do you think of girls with guitars? Am I just out for sex because I own one? :blink:

Now, that's a funny thought. :D

einherjar
24-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Visit me and I'll introduce you to 3 or 4 or 20 people I know that fit my explanation in one way or another.

taikara
24-02-2005, 02:03 AM
I've met the kind of people you're talking about ;)

But anyone with a brain wouldn't fall for it.

And, not everyone who plays guitar is like that...

Edit: And in case you're wondering, a few of them are on this site....

Tulac
24-02-2005, 06:37 PM
But then eniherhjar, you should've bashed those people from the start, and not every newbie that wants to learn to play guitar and the guitar itself...

Dreadlord
24-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Stop bashing Goths, they aren't all about sadness and depression, in fact only pretenders believe that's the philosophy.

Besides, guitars are great, gamewise too, I haven't heard anything better than the guitars playing in Red Alert (Especially Grinder).

I play the guitar, Canalis Analis (stupid filter) and you're getting a bit too offended by something as stupid as a simple instrument, the guitar can be completely different depending on which style of music you listen too, it isn't restricted to a loud or soloing instrument, if you want to know what I'm talking about listen to some Billy Joel or Niel Diamond.

taikara
24-02-2005, 07:02 PM
You know, if you want someone to stop getting offended, maybe you shouldn't call them Canalis Analis...

Being nice tends to be a better vehicle for getting your point across...

Just a thought :whistle:

Dreadlord
24-02-2005, 07:05 PM
I said it because Canalis Analis is funny, and I mean Canalis Analis, not what most are trying to type.

Pardon my immaturity.

Xikarita
24-02-2005, 09:53 PM
If it's your first guitar, buy one that isn't too expensive (150-250 Euros is good enough). It's also important to feel the guitar in your hands, so that you know if you like to handle it. Try something that isn't too heavy. It's also important to have a versatile instrument, i.e., one that you can play all kinds of music with. I'd go for a Squier Strat, because they're made by Fender. If you don't have an amp yet, try a Kustom. They sound ok and they're not too expensive.

einherjar
24-02-2005, 11:25 PM
See, I had stopped this discussion when others resumed their conversation about guitars. However, it seems that there are those who barely understand enough English to misunderstand what I have been trying to say all along. I do find it intriguing that when you confront someone about something, they will deny it until they are blue in the face and come up with every attempt at logical retaliation they can muster, and if they cannot, they show their indignation at that person for bringing it up in the first place. On the other hand, they don't seem to mind it when the shoe is on the other foot.

TheVoid
25-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Ok so today I went to the shop to buy that famous guitar.
My budget got lowered (I'm going to Greece in few days so I have to save some money).

So I thought about the following points.
-I had a limited budget
-I wasn't going to spend a lot of money for my first electric guitar and maybe regret it
-everyone seemed to dislike Squiers and Yamahas
-I was going to use it for fun, not for playing in bands and such
-I wanted a coffee
-I didn't want a metal-oriented guitar

Finally, I got a Stagg S350.
http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/StaggS350-MBKBig.jpg

* Pickups: 3x single coil
* Controls: 1x volume + 2x tone
* Pickup selector: 5-way
* Body: solid alder wood
* Neck: hard maple / 648mm/ 25'' 1/2
* Fingerboard: maple / 21 frets
* Bridge: classic “s” style tremolo
* Machine heads: vintage, chrome
* Pickguard: pearloid gray
* Body Color: Metallic Black.

I like the design (It's a Stratocaster after all) and the vintage colors. And it sounds slightly better than the Squier Stratocaster. Plus I got it at a quite nice price - 150 € instead of 227. Therefore I'm satisfied with it, and I'll eventually switch to a better one when I'll have improved my skills.
For the moment, I quite love it :D

taikara
25-02-2005, 10:41 PM
It's a sweet guitar, and it sounds like you picked it for a lot of good reasons! :ok:

Strobe
02-03-2005, 04:38 PM
good choice, void!

i hope you will have a lot of fun using this nice instrument!

be sure to inform us about all songs you do with it... :ok:

troop18546
02-03-2005, 05:33 PM
My brother would want one of those... but my cash flow is running critical...

Tulac
02-03-2005, 08:18 PM
@Void: Do you have an amp?

Darken
02-03-2005, 09:01 PM
If you need a cheap amp, you can a Danelectro 15W amp for about 45$(sorry dont know Euro conversion). Danelectros have a clean vintage sound especially the Nifty Fifties line of amps. Danelectro also sells nice effects pedals for really cheap.