PDA

View Full Version : My Printer Ran Out Of Blue

Mad-E-Fact
13-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Well, so the cartridge still has full yellow and red, only blue (or cyan or whatever it is) is empty? how is that possible? I mostly print in black&white anyway, but shouldnt the colors be used up equally?

Eagle of Fire
13-02-2005, 07:55 PM
The best printers are those you can change each color individually. Otherwise you just entered the strange printer cadridge racket, sorry for ya... :angel:

Mad-E-Fact
13-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Feb 13 2005, 09:55 PM
Otherwise you just entered the strange printer cadridge racket
Huh? I'm still not wiser than before :blink:

Mardi-Gras
13-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I've used up all the vowels on my keyboard. Don'tcha hate it when that happens? :help:

xoopx
13-02-2005, 11:13 PM
if your printer doesnt let you change the colours separately, and you use mostly black and white, then get another printer.
i have an ancient black and white canon bubblejet, and i just refill the cartridge with a kit

Mad-E-Fact
14-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Nope, only 2 cartridges, one for colors, one for black. I was just wondering how it could have ran out of blue so fast, I hardly printed anything in colors, and the other 2 colors are still full. Oh well.

auhsor
14-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah it happens. It's only really the cheap printers these days that have the 2 cartridges. Mine does, but I only bought it very cheaply. If you want to spend a bit more you should get a printer with separate cartridges. If you do alot of printing this will be better in the long run.

I have found that most printers are pretty cheap - its the ink that costs alot.

Ferna182
14-02-2005, 02:30 PM
yeah! aushor it's completly right! in argentina Lexmark it's selling really cheap printers... but the cartridges costs about U$S 50 ..... or more!

and a new Lexark costs about U$S 70 ...... if you realize, it's cheaper to buy a new printer (and get both cartridges new, B/W and colour) and sell your old one for about US$20 ....

Mad-E-Fact
14-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Yea, mine's a Lexmark roo. It seemed a good deal, was cheap and it has a built in scanner, so you can make quick copies with it too. But after I got it a friend said the ink for lexmark is pretty expensive, but I don't print much anyway, so maybe it's no big deal...

xoopx
14-02-2005, 03:49 PM
lexmark are definately the biggest rip off for ink. like someone already said.. its cheaper to buy the printer than the ink refill.

i wouldnt ever buy a printer that i couldnt refill with my own ink. or at least if it was a colour one, one that didnt have separate carts for each colour.

Eagle of Fire
14-02-2005, 05:18 PM
A solution of your problem, if you don't mind always printing in black, would be to remove the color cadridge completely and see if it works that way. If the printer can print the colored spaces with black ink then you would not worry about color ink at all anymore.

Of course you'll use way more black ink this way... But black ink is probably cheaper.

quatroking
14-02-2005, 05:33 PM
First make your yellow and red empty and then you buy a new cardridge.
(1 week ago my yellow AND my red was empty)

Data
14-02-2005, 08:14 PM
maybe you set up your printer wrong.
it happened to me once as well.
if you set it in color mode sometimes it uses the color cardrige to create a black color and they a lot of blue for that.

so you probably set the default cardrige to color and then it uses colors to print black!

Mad-E-Fact
14-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Well I can just set the printer to print in greyscale. ;)

Braindead
14-02-2005, 09:33 PM
grey is good at least it's better than yellow on white :D

If you're looking for a new printer, then check out this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/index.html

Titan
17-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Is it only the software that sais the blue is out, or can you actualy see that there is no ink left?

It often happens that the ink just dry out and form a plug.
The printer-program thinks that there is no blue left, but infact you have plenty!

try holding it up between a strong light and yourself, and see if you can see anything.

Mad-E-Fact
17-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Heh, thanks! Why didn't I think of that? :D There's no way to see inside it, as it's just a big black block, but I tried to clean it with my hand and blow some warm air on it, and it seemed to help, there is blue again... at least for now. :)