PDA

View Full Version : Display scaling in Virtual PC

PIMPSANDWICH
28-06-2013, 07:17 PM
So I tried looking around for this question already answered but found nothing, so I apologize if I've overlooked it somehow.

The problem is that I have the game Total Distortion and I'm running it on Windows XP in a Virtual PC. The game runs totally fine, but instead of scaling to the display it's lumped up in what seems around 640x480, and filling out the rest of the display with black borders. As far as I understand this can be fixed by enabling display scaling, but I can only figure out how to do that from the NVIDIA Control Panel on my normal OS, not on the OS inside the Virtual PC. I've also tried scaling the resolution of the Virtual PC to a 4:3 resolution, but it doesn't give any different results.

The Fifth Horseman
28-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Should be in one of the entries under Display Options.

PIMPSANDWICH
28-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Should be in one of the entries under Display Options.
Display Options where exactly..? If you're speaking of Display Properties, where you change resolution and theme and such, there's no such option. There's an 'Advanced' tab, but it's greyed out.

The Fifth Horseman
29-06-2013, 12:04 AM
In nVidia Control Panel.
However, I've been hearing that this option may not be present in some driver versions. You might want to check that.

PIMPSANDWICH
29-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Ah, well yeah, I mentioned I'm able to do that no problem when in the normal Windows 7 OS. Inside of the Virtual PC, however, the NVIDIA Control Panel isn't present. Not sure if downloading the GPU's driver and installing it on the Virtual PC OS would work, considering the Driver Manager just lists the Display unit as a sort of virtual GPU provided by the VPC.

Japo
12-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Virtual PC has its own graphic options.

But also, you may want to set the resolution of the host to a value close or equal to the one you're using on the guest. You can scale a 640x480 image into your 1080 display if you want to fill it, but pixels will be huge. First of all increase the resolution of your guest, like this:

(click to enlarge)
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m87/japofran/tutorial/windows_legacy/bth_vpcRes.png (http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m87/japofran/tutorial/windows_legacy/vpcRes.png)